Austin Stirring The Pot Again - Wrestling CM Punk

Today, in 2011, The Rock is the bigger draw. Trust me, that's hard to type, seeing there probably isn't a bigger Steve Austin mark on this site. However, it's true. Combine Rock's absence with his success in the movies, and he's the bigger draw. Austin isn't new. Austin comes back all of the time, and his movies aren't..... well, no one cares. That's right, Austin loses this competition because he's a much more loyal fan favorite. Sucks, I know. Whatever, it's fine - during their time on top, Rock couldn't touch Austin :)

Anyhow, I think Austin wants this to happen more than anyone. He wants one more match, and CM Punk is his favorite guy out there. Do I think it's possible? Not really. Three months ago, I would have said this situation was ideal. Today? Punk's not a heel anymore. Tweener, face, whatever, doesn't matter - there's really no reason for them to fight. Both hate the establishment, are "screwed over" by those in charge, etc. Why would they fight? If anything, they'd team up.

No, I don't think this is going to happen, unless Punk goes back to being a heel (if that's even possible at this point).

C-List celebrities don't star in films that gross $605,437,675 worldwide at the Box Office. That's what deines an A-List celebrity.

In this miniature arguement going on, in-terms of wrestling, you stick Austin on the card and you'll draw more of the old followers from the Attitude days than you will if you place The Rock on the marquee of an event, that isn't an arguement. The Rock will draw a major number, example is, look at the buyrate for WrestleMania 27 - You had people signing up to wrestling forums just to say that they started watching again because of The Rock. But if it were Austin to return you'd double those posters and you'd double the hype, for several reasons.

First The Rock was in ONE movie that did good and it had NOTHING, 0 to do with him, it was Fast five and it was because of the franchise and it's etablished actor. Nobody said oh never heard of that franchise but The Rock is in it, let's go see that (well maybe SOME people did but still). The Rock just happenned to be in that movie, I hate when people make that argument and even more when The Rock make the same argument. He was in it, he didn't bring the movie to success.

And for the Mania buys, if Austin was in it old fans would have come back just has they did for The Rock, because like the guy you answered to, those 2 bring old stars and people got interested maybe more in The Rock because it was the first time he was coming back to a PPV and maybe the last back then.

Austin > Rock, ALWAYS.

BUT, like Big Nick Dudley outside of the wrestling world and just as I said that The Rock comeback was made special by his long absence, The Rock can draw more for one event. But in the wrestling world Austin will still be bigger to bring back old fans.

Believe me guys, Rock is a bigger star, more popular (see Twitter/Facebook followers) and better known than Austin on a worldwide scale.

Rock gets to host WM and obtain 1m buys. Why didnt WWE just go for the cheap option and get Austin to host it? He draws more right? Oh wait, he was on the card wasn't he. The undercard as a special Ref........

There is no way on earth Austin vs Cena would draw more attention than Rock vs Cena. Put Austin on the undercard against Punk by all means, it's a nice filler match. Let the people who are relevant do battle in the main events.

Austin has pretty much laid his cards on the table. He has said exactly what he wants and how he wants to do things and now it is up to the WWE to make it happen. It won't be happening this year though. Rock/ Cena will overshadow Austin vs Punk both because of the people involved as well as because of the storyline. Rock/ Cena has been billed as a clash of generations. I am pretty sure Austin/ Punk will not be booked that way because simply Punk is not the man who has defined this generation like Cena. I would also say that right now Rock is a slightly bigger draw than Austin because of the fact that Rock has not been inside a wrestling ring for 7 years whereas Austin has kept making sporadic appearances in a non wrestling capacity. In their primes, I would say that Austin was obviously the much bigger draw. Austin, after being acclaimed by the fucking owner of the company as the greatest superstar of all time, has nothing to prove but I am sure that he would not like to end at anything less than the main event of WrestleMania.

I also think, from what Austin has said, that he wants Punk to be a bigger superstar before they clash as well. As of now Punk is nowhere near as popular as the likes of Cena or Orton. He has been a part of one good angle that has not even reached its completion as yet. Compared to Austin, he is a nobody and I am sure Austin himself wants to go out against a bigger superstar than that. He is waiting for Punk to become a bigger name which, if things continue the way the are, looks like a real possibility around WrestleMania 29.
How is Punk not as popular as Cena and especially Orton right now lol what a ridiculous statement. Just because he hasn't been forced fed down our throats for 7 years and doesn't have the little jimmys approval yet doesn't mean he's not as popular. The dude made wrestling prominent again and made people start watching who haven't in years. He got main stream media attention and got everyone talking about him. Not only that but did you watch Mitb, Summerslam and all the Raw's in between? The guy gets freaking huge CM Punk chants every single week! Look arounand there are Cm Punk shirts everywhereeeeee. The crowd is way more into him and show passion towards him so much more than anyone has done with Orton recently. He has been more over than Cena in most places they go and doesn't get boo'd unlike the top face Cena.

Punk got on the same level as them in this short amount of time and can only grow from here.

How is Punk not as popular as Cena and especially Orton right now lol what a ridiculous statement. Just because he hasn't been forced fed down our throats for 7 years and doesn't have the little jimmys approval yet doesn't mean he's not as popular. The dude made wrestling prominent again and made people start watching who haven't in years. He got main stream media attention and got everyone talking about him. Not only that but did you watch Mitb, Summerslam and all the Raw's in between? The guy gets freaking huge CM Punk chants every single week! Look arounand there are Cm Punk shirts everywhereeeeee. The crowd is way more into him and show passion towards him so much more than anyone has done with Orton recently. He has been more over than Cena in most places they go and doesn't get boo'd unlike the top face Cena.

Punk got on the same level as them in this short amount of time and can only grow from here.

Crowd reactions dont gauge popularity. Look at merchandise sales and PPV buys when Punk is headlining. Lets see if he can carry WWE like Cena has.

I aint a fan of Cena, but Punk is way behind him in terms of popularity and 'star value'. Punk is an internet darling. He will never be a draw.

I don't think Austin can wrestle again. But Punk-Austin is a great fantasy match though. Passing the torch to Punk and Cena, the new Austin-Rock of the new generation.

Austin's injuries aren't the same as Edge's.

Punk's offense going after the head makes no difference, they're worked, if anything, taking flat back bumps are probably more of a risk considering how light and loose Punk apparently is in the ring (a good thing).

I'd love to see it happen. Punk could cut incredible promos "at first you were my hero, then I saw you drinking, I saw my dad drinking, I saw your violence, I saw my dad's violence, I realized you were the hero I thought you were, etc".

May as well go a full on "Past vs Present" PPV. Rock vs Cena, Austin vs Punk, Jericho vs Miz.

Of course, you have all the present guys win. You can't have old fucks who aren't going to be around long winning over new guys no matter how many nostalgic attitude era fans think things are going to suddenly revert to 1999.

Better match? That's entirely subjective. I think Rock/Cena will work the crowd better and get a louder reaction if Austin/Punk happens.

Austin was a bigger star than Rock during the attitude era. But the attitude era is over. A lot of fans of that era have moved on and dont have any interest in watching wrestling anymore. The Rock is a much bigger draw today. Rock has had a very successful hollywood career unlike Austin. I think The Rock staying away from the WWE has helped. The crowd went more crazy for Rock last couple of appearances than they have Austin. Rock gets more media attention too. National media doesn't give a shit about Austin and his straight to dvd movies.

They could go for a old vs new school triple main event WrestleMania. Thats got to be 1.5 million buys.

Cena vs Rock
Punk vs Austin
Orton vs Undertaker

Rock v Cena would draw alot better than Austin/Punk. Punk isnt on Cena's level, Rock is and always has been on Austin's level in terms of bringing in people. Rock never got hurt, he only left to do movies, Austin was injured numerous times in his WWF run.

But to answer the OP I would love to see a Austin/Punk match, I think they would put on a much better match than Cena and Rock

Punk/Austin would mean more to the fans but Cena/Rock would draw in more people who wouldn't usually bother ordering a WWE pay per view.

Punk/Austin would mean more to the fans but Cena/Rock would draw in more people who wouldn't usually bother ordering a WWE pay per view.
It woudn't mean more to me and I'm a fan.

You see Austin a lot on WWE programming, it's not uncommon to see him. We never thought we'd see him again. Punk isn't as over as people on here think, he's very very over, but he's essentially a "super" net darling kinda like RVD was.

With Rock you have a huge star that nobody thought would ever come back. With Cena you have the most over guy in the world. That's the match that will draw more interest.

Other people can say smug comments like "real fans will like Punk vs Austin" but that's just silly and arrogant.

It woudn't mean more to me and I'm a fan.

You see Austin a lot on WWE programming, it's not uncommon to see him. We never thought we'd see him again. Punk isn't as over as people on here think, he's very very over, but he's essentially a "super" net darling kinda like RVD was.

With Rock you have a huge star that nobody thought would ever come back. With Cena you have the most over guy in the world. That's the match that will draw more interest.

Other people can say smug comments like "real fans will like Punk vs Austin" but that's just silly and arrogant.

Well if you expect people to be honest you need to be honest too. Punk isn't just an Internet darling anymore, he is the wrestler that men relates too, not just the Internet. People are chanting his name more and more and the kiddie will probably start to like him too since he is not feuding with Cena anymore.

As for Cena being the most over I don't agree bgut I will agree to disagree here since we already debated that in other thread. Is he more over than Punk sure, is he causing more people to turn their TV than Punk, I also think he is, but still.

It's true that The Rock at the moment as more appeal because he was gone for so long. But for Attitude era fans who were Austin fans and saw him leave too soon too due to injury, this match would mean a lot. Especially since we all thought we would never see him in a ring kind of like Shawn Michaels before his street fight with HHH.

The Rock may be a movie star but I don't think he has a big fan base (and please be honest and don't tell me he was in a big film that draw a lot of money because the movie was Fast Five and it would have been drawing money with or without The Rock in it). The rock don't make a lot of movies that bring in crowd and while he may/will bring back older wrestling fan for another shot, I doubt his Holywood career would bring a lot of people to pay for a Wrestlemania PPV.

I am not saying Austin can tap into that market more than The Rock, but if you take The Rock vs Cena it would bring back old Rocky fans that stop watching the product that Cena is involved in (a lot of my friends got fed up with him, I know I am only one person with that experience as fas as I can tell but I am sure I am not alone in that position). While Austin vs Punk would bring back old Austin fan and they will not be turned off by a guy who is known to have good matches and knowned to be smark friendly.

That's my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back