Austin Region, Tokyo Subregion, First Round: (16) Sgt. Slaughter vs. (17) DDP

Who Wins This Match?

• Sgt. Slaughter

• Diamond Dallas Page

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Austin Region, Tokyo Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at Budokan Hall in Tokyo, Japan.

250px-Nippon_Budokan_2010.jpg

image_1.jpg

#16. Sgt. Slaughter

Vs.

ddp.jpg

#17. Diamond Dallas Page

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

One of these men was such a shit draw for Wrestlemania that they had to move it from the Coliseum to the LA Memorial Sports Arena. The other man beat Jimmy King for the world title, and it wasn't even a pay per view.

Vote DDP.

DDP was probably WCW's second biggest success after Goldberg. To rise to the top in an environment like that was no easy feat. I got criticised for belittling Slaughter's pre-WWF career last year, but whilst I may have been harsh, he was never the star that DDP was during the Monday Night War. DDP for me.

Slaughter has his place in wrestling history and it's being fed to Hogan at Wrestlemania. Seriously, that's the biggest thing Slaughter ever did in his career. I know that he made a name for himself pre WWF, but what he did during that time period pales in comparison to what he did with the WWF. Hell, his time as the commissioner may have had him more over then he was facing Hogan at Wrestlemania.

DDP, on the other hand, was able to rise to the top in a WCW sea that was full of stars that didn't want to share the spotlight. He was able to be in the ring with the Stings, Flairs, Savages, Hogans, Nashes, Goldbergs, etc, and be just as important and just as popular as they were. That takes some doing and he did it.

My vote goes to DDP.

Against my better judgement I voted DDP. Slaughter was a huge star in WWE during the 80's. He was able to break loose from the WWE promotional machine, and found mainstream popularity with the deal he made with GI Joe. Alas though he still wrestled in Hogan's shadow, and like others have said he was basically built up as a heel in order to lose to the guy later. DDP's career held a lot of the same similarities. He was a big star in the mid to late 90's in WCW who worked in the shadows of some of the bigger stars, and a multiple time world champion. He probably didn't have the mainstream popularity that Slaughter had at his peak, and his WWE run absolutely sucked. Perhaps Slaughter should have edged it out because of that.

I think ultimately this came down to the fact that I simply liked Page more. It was a coin toss. Neither guy is going to survive the next round so I don't feel that bad about it.

Diamond Dallas Page made Goldberg wrestle the best match of his career. It's still the best match if Goldberg and will remain unless Goldberg Vs. Brock Lesnar is surprisingly good which is highly unlikely to happen.

If he can make Goldberg wrestle a damn good match, just think about what he can do with an in-ring expert. He's a better wrestler than Sergeant.

DDP here.

This is one of the match ups I had a tough time with, I could see either wrestler winning this and could make a case for either. Both grapplers can claim being former World Heavyweight championships though neither had a particularly impressive reign(or reigns in DDP's case). DDP won three compared to Slaughter's one, but Slaughter's run as champ lasted longer than DDP's combined reigns so I'm calling that pretty much a wash. I am going to go with Slaughter in this for a few reasons; he had a good run with the US title, his popularity in the eighties may very well have rivaled anyone not named Hogan(even becoming a mainstream name due to the GI Joe relationship), he headlined a Wrestlemania, and because I enjoyed his matches with Pat Patterson and Iron Sheik more than any of DDP's feuds.

Vote the guy with his own GI Joe figure, vote for the Sarge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back