Austin Region, Tokyo Subregion, First Round: (1) Steve Austin vs. (32) Masahiro Chono

Who Wins This Match?

• Steve Austin

• Masahiro Chono

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Austin Region, Tokyo Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at Budokan Hall in Tokyo, Japan.

250px-Nippon_Budokan_2010.jpg

latest

#1. Steve Austin

Vs.

latest

#32. Masahiro Chono

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I don't want to say Masahiro Chono is underrated, I think that's probably the wrong word. I think I'd rather say he's undervalued. He was extremely popular in his pomp and a very enjoyable heel afterward. He's maybe the least heralded of New Japan's Three Musketeers, but on his day, he was pretty fantastic. However he's up against one of the few men who could be argued for as the greatest of all time. Austin is superior here in more or less every aspect and as such he goes over.

Steve Austin lost in Japan to Masahiro Chono in an 18 minute competitive match that left Chono injured. That happened in 1992, which was not exactly Austin's peak. It stands to reason then that in the years of glory that followed this, Austin would have given him a much better fight, and probably would have beaten him. Outside of Japan, this is no contest, but even here I can only see an Austin win.

Looking at the poll I don't see the location swaying many people. It seems as if Austin is on a collision course against Inoki, and if that match happens in Tokyo then it might be a bracket buster. Actually, it should be a bracket buster. But I think for now Stone Cold is the right choice. Chono was one the "three musketeers" who were considered to be NJPW's top stars during the late 80's and early 90's. And when the NWO went big in the States, Chono capitalized and brought the faction to Japan, becoming the faction's leader. Chono was a big star during that decade, but it's arguable that Austin was the industry's top star overall. History will remember the success of Stone Cold being the reason why the WWE is the sole mainstream pro wrestling company in America. And it's hard to measure up to influence like that.

For now, Austin is the right choice.

Austin has a solid argument for being the biggest name in wrestling history. Only a handful of guys on this list could argue the same. Austin in his prime takes this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back