Attitude Era and Ruthless Agression Era : The Way WWE should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreatLegend

The Cerebral Assasin
Don't get me wrong.I don't hate "The Golden Era" or "The New Generation Era" but like everything Wrestling has to "evolve". Wrestling just like the Music Industry was in a transitional period during the 90s. 90s produced some of the best music,movies,and of course Wrestling.

"The Attitude Era" wasn't only just chairshots,cussing,sexual themes.It also had good Wrestling.,storylines,angles and a atmosphere every wrestling event should have. People popped big for the Undertaker, Rock, HHH, Jericho, Stone Cold and DX. Good sized pops for goldust, big show, Kane,etc.

Brood, Hardy's, GodFather, Lethal Weapon Steve Blackman, Ken Shamrock, Undertaker, People's Champ The Rock, Kane, HHH, Too Cool, Deranged Mick Foley, APA, Blue Meanie, Hurricaina, Hardcore Holly, the Dudley's, Al Snow, Bossman, Sexual Chocolate, Val Venis, Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle, etc. Tons of unique wrestlers, not all of them could be main event but the lower titles consistently had fresh personalities wrestling every week.

Wrestling in that period "evolved" from just being some holds,slams,etc

"Ruthless Agression Era" (2002-2008) was also really good till 2005.Even 2006 was ok.It was a good product which produced great wrestling,gimmicks and future superstars.Even the newer superstars that debuted during this time period were good.

Since 2009 WWE is trying to go backwards of what it was in the 80s or the early 90s but it won't work in this age or period.WWE isn't growing now.Ratings are the same and the product is bland.

Once you "Evolve" you can't go backwards.It won't work.

Don't get me wrong.I don't hate "The Golden Era" or "The New Generation Era" but like everything Wrestling has to "evolve". Wrestling just like the Music Industry was in a transitional period during the 90s. 90s produced some of the best music,movies,and of course Wrestling.

"The Attitude Era" wasn't only just chairshots,cussing,sexual themes.It also had good Wrestling.,storylines,angles and a atmosphere every wrestling event should have. People popped big for the Undertaker, Rock, HHH, Jericho, Stone Cold and DX. Good sized pops for goldust, big show, Kane,etc.

Brood, Hardy's, GodFather, Lethal Weapon Steve Blackman, Ken Shamrock, Undertaker, People's Champ The Rock, Kane, HHH, Too Cool, Deranged Mick Foley, APA, Blue Meanie, Hurricaina, Hardcore Holly, the Dudley's, Al Snow, Bossman, Sexual Chocolate, Val Venis, Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle, etc. Tons of unique wrestlers, not all of them could be main event but the lower titles consistently had fresh personalities wrestling every week.

Wrestling in that period "evolved" from just being some holds,slams,etc

"Ruthless Agression Era" (2002-2008) was also really good till 2005.Even 2006 was ok.It was a good product which produced great wrestling,gimmicks and future superstars.Even the newer superstars that debuted during this time period were good.

Since 2009 WWE is trying to go backwards of what it was in the 80s or the early 90s but it won't work in this age or period.WWE isn't growing now.Ratings are the same and the product is bland.

Once you "Evolve" you can't go backwards.It won't work.
No actually that really was all the attitude era was. Go back and actually watch the shows. They are garbage. "Good wrestling"? You mean punch/kick bullshit? Maybe some blade jobs? It was a jersey shore/jerry springer version of wrestling.

No, Chris Benoit and all the negative publicity made that type of programming unsustainable. Learn something about business.

Ratings are a shit way to measure. Numbers-wise anyways. They're still tops pretty frequently you are wrong, no other show on TV is consistently top 3 in their timeslot year-round for this long.

They aren't going backwards, you are. No one wants to watch trash TV, well they do, but there are more haters for that style of TV. There were more people who watched the tude era, but also more haters. Parents made groups to protest it for christ's sake. Learn something and actually research, don't rely on your memory.

"fresh personalities" and "pops" are cheap when it's titties, blood, and beer. If 10 ******s from New Jersey can become millionaires doing it, it can't be that hard.

As said by many others, today's product is NOT really all that much like the golden era. More like 1996-1998 Nitro but with more stars being made. It has adult storylines with family-friendly characters and dialogue.

You have awful logic and your opinion has been stated a million times by a million other like-minded (simple-minded) people.

Okay I was wrong, it hasn't been stated a million times by a million other people, there aren't a million people who have that opinion, it's a much smaller number.

In conclusion, your inability to think outside the box makes me hate the IWC. This thread is everything that's wrong with the IWC. Instead of thinking "hmm, vulgarity is profitable in the short run, but doesn't last long" you think "I like the way things used to be".

Not only that, but since you obviously know jack shit about wrestling, I'll educate you.

In the mid 80s, Vince was fairly revolutionary in not having blood and being more family-friendly. Most places didn't cuss, but they weren't all that family friendly. They were smoke filled arenas with grown men and lots of blood. Vince made more money being family-friendly. In the late 90s, vince killed his own reputation (that a lot of people still hate the product to this day because they think it's like it was in the tude era). Vince is going back to a more family-friendly product, but has added a more adult theme to it. Basically what I'm saying is, the attitude era wasn't all that much of an evolution. Wrestling had been gritty before. Wrestling has been family friendly before. Wrestling is cyclical. Do your homework.

I also think it's funny that you think wrestling evolved from "holds and slams" in the tude era. What exactly did Austin do that was all that different? Do moves even matter?

Pro wrestling is still storytelling. It always has been. You can dress it up, but it's still the same basic thing good guy vs bad guy. It's like how you can't reinvent the wheel. You can put different treads on it, put spinners on it, but it's still the wheel. -Al Snow, knows more about wrestling than you, used to train people for the WWE

WWE is like Pixar, not disney kids channel. It's also sure as hell not trash tv and shouldn't be. If you want WWE to get higher ratings, get rid of the ring and hire a bunch of sleazy italian-americans to hump each other.

This thread idea is more over-done than my "if you want WWE to have higher ratings, turn it into Jersey shore" line.

No actually that really was all the attitude era was. Go back and actually watch the shows. They are garbage. "Good wrestling"? You mean punch/kick bullshit? Maybe some blade jobs? It was a jersey shore/jerry springer version of wrestling.

No, Chris Benoit and all the negative publicity made that type of programming unsustainable. Learn something about business.

Ratings are a shit way to measure. Numbers-wise anyways. They're still tops pretty frequently you are wrong, no other show on TV is consistently top 3 in their timeslot year-round for this long.

They aren't going backwards, you are. No one wants to watch trash TV, well they do, but there are more haters for that style of TV. There were more people who watched the tude era, but also more haters. Parents made groups to protest it for christ's sake. Learn something and actually research, don't rely on your memory.

"fresh personalities" and "pops" are cheap when it's titties, blood, and beer. If 10 ******s from New Jersey can become millionaires doing it, it can't be that hard.

As said by many others, today's product is NOT really all that much like the golden era. More like 1996-1998 Nitro but with more stars being made. It has adult storylines with family-friendly characters and dialogue.

You have awful logic and your opinion has been stated a million times by a million other like-minded (simple-minded) people.

Okay I was wrong, it hasn't been stated a million times by a million other people, there aren't a million people who have that opinion, it's a much smaller number.

In conclusion, your inability to think outside the box makes me hate the IWC. This thread is everything that's wrong with the IWC. Instead of thinking "hmm, vulgarity is profitable in the short run, but doesn't last long" you think "I like the way things used to be".

Not only that, but since you obviously know jack shit about wrestling, I'll educate you.

In the mid 80s, Vince was fairly revolutionary in not having blood and being more family-friendly. Most places didn't cuss, but they weren't all that family friendly. They were smoke filled arenas with grown men and lots of blood. Vince made more money being family-friendly. In the late 90s, vince killed his own reputation (that a lot of people still hate the product to this day because they think it's like it was in the tude era). Vince is going back to a more family-friendly product, but has added a more adult theme to it. Basically what I'm saying is, the attitude era wasn't all that much of an evolution. Wrestling had been gritty before. Wrestling has been family friendly before. Wrestling is cyclical. Do your homework.

I also think it's funny that you think wrestling evolved from "holds and slams" in the tude era. What exactly did Austin do that was all that different? Do moves even matter?

Pro wrestling is still storytelling. It always has been. You can dress it up, but it's still the same basic thing good guy vs bad guy. It's like how you can't reinvent the wheel. You can put different treads on it, put spinners on it, but it's still the wheel. -Al Snow, knows more about wrestling than you, used to train people for the WWE

WWE is like Pixar, not disney kids channel. It's also sure as hell not trash tv and shouldn't be. If you want WWE to get higher ratings, get rid of the ring and hire a bunch of sleazy italian-americans to hump each other.

This thread idea is more over-done than my "if you want WWE to have higher ratings, turn it into Jersey shore" line.

I agree with you on most of the post, but boy don't ever insult Jerry Springer!

Back on topic. Despite the fact there are a plethora of threads identical to this one, I will give my opinion. People like to see trash TV, that is why Jersey Shore is popular. However what WWE is doing by appealing to kids is creating a bond between them that will last until they are older. Vince may have not realize that during the the original PG era (the golden era) he was creating the same relations with the kids who would support WWF during the attitude era when they got older. He is doing the same now, there will one day be another era of trash TV in WWE we will just have to wait until this generation grows up.

As far as quality goes. TWJC is right a bunch if punches, kicks and stomping is not much of an evolution from the body slams and throws from the 80s and early 90s. Storytelling whether masked with crazy shit like it was during the attitude era, or as it plain naked as it is these days is still storytelling the key to draw fans in: emotional investment. If you say the attitude era and ruthless aggression era was better than good it applies to what you like (At this point I am referring to the OP. The current PG state is not in anyway bad, they build compelling storylines slowly and carefully gradually making the intensity increase. Wrestling is wrestling no matter how much you embezzle it adult content or children's content, which one is better is only based on opinion.

I agree with you on most of the post, but boy don't ever insult Jerry Springer!

Back on topic. Despite the fact there are a plethora of threads identical to this one, I will give my opinion. People like to see trash TV, that is why Jersey Shore is popular. However what WWE is doing by appealing to kids is creating a bond between them that will last until they are older. Vince may have not realize that during the the original PG era (the golden era) he was creating the same relations with the kids who would support WWF during the attitude era when they got older. He is doing the same now, there will one day be another era of trash TV in WWE we will just have to wait until this generation grows up.

As far as quality goes. TWJC is right a bunch if punches, kicks and stomping is not much of an evolution from the body slams and throws from the 80s and early 90s. Storytelling whether masked with crazy shit like it was during the attitude era, or as it plain naked as it is these days is still storytelling the key to draw fans in: emotional investment. If you say the attitude era and ruthless aggression era was better than good it applies to what you like (At this point I am referring to the OP. The current PG state is not in anyway bad, they build compelling storylines slowly and carefully gradually making the intensity increase. Wrestling is wrestling no matter how much you embezzle it adult content or children's content, which one is better is only based on opinion.
I agree with everything you said, although I don't really think Vince will have trash TV again. I think there will be more blood, but I dont' think he'll go back to the boobs and cussing. It was too damaging. Like I said, it was REALLY popular, but it was also REALLY hated. It was like Justin beiber. For every 5 fans he has, there are 50 people who hate him. Most people aren't white trash, so most people hated the attitude era. In fact, part of Harley Race's goal when he created World league wrestling was to 'create a wrestling show you weren't afraid to bring your mom or kids to' and it had the slogan "shut up and wrestle". It was created in 1999. If Harley Race hates your show, you are fucking up.

Vince learns from his mistakes. Look at the "golden era" vs today. still PG, still family friendly, but a lot less cartoony and it doesn't insult your intelligence as much (pro wrestling always will, a guy bouncing off the ropes doesn't make any sense). So when the current audience grows up, it will probably be slightly more vulgar and slightly more violent, but he'll reel in the trashiness so it's more appealing and he won't have to rebuild his brand again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back