Ask Me Questions About Movies (Preferably Horror Movies) or RG3

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I will only answer one question regarding RG3: Will he always be awesome? And to preempt any of you asking me that question, my answer will always be: yes.

Now, onto movies. I feel like talking about them, and I feel like talking about horror movies in particular. Ask away and hopefully these questions will create some meaningful forum conversation.

Let's start with the sig... do you really think Spring Breakers is going to be a good film? I mean, I'm a huge James Franco fan, the main chicks in it are hot as shit, and I loved the movie Kids the director wrote (while at the same time hated Gummo and Ken Park as you know), but the trailer to this film was one of the worst I've ever seen. I really think it's going to bomb big time, both commercially and critically.

Have you seen American Mary? Is it any good? Recommend some other recent horror.

What are your thoughts on Melissa George? Specifically her horror/thriller set of films; 30 Days of Night, WAZ, Triangle and A Lonely Place To Die?

Did you enjoy the My Bloody Valentine remake?

Have you seen the trailer for Rob Zombie's The Lords Of Salem? If so, what did you think about it?

Cabin in the Woods. Did you see it and what did you think? Personally I thought it was fantastic, and one of the best introspective looks at the genre I've seen in a long time. Joss Whedon set out to make a self-aware film exposing every horror trope while being comedic but still retaining the sense of fear and suspense. Also...that ending. I don't even.

If you were an actor & needed to prepare for a role by truly becoming your character- would you wear his skin to a birthday party or ingest him with a straw like in Killer Klowns?

jmt, I'll get to your question in a day or two. I have a lot to say about why Spring Breakers is going to be a great film, I just need to make sure my thoughts are in order.

Have you seen American Mary? Is it any good? Recommend some other recent horror.

Just saw it on imdb today. As far as horror that's just as obscure as American Mary, there's Kill List (which I'm sure you've already seen) and Cannibal Vegetarian. I caught Cannibal Vegetarian at a Central European Film Showcase so I'm not even sure if it's been distributed anywhere yet.

What are your thoughts on Melissa George? Specifically her horror/thriller set of films; 30 Days of Night, WAZ, Triangle and A Lonely Place To Die?

Gorgeous woman, very underrated actress. That being said, I'm not as big of a fan as most people are of Triangle. I much prefer Timecrimes. If you haven't already seen this Spanish-language time-travel thriller, I highly recommend you do so (I think it's on netflix).

Did you enjoy the My Bloody Valentine remake?

Have you seen the trailer for Rob Zombie's The Lords Of Salem? If so, what did you think about it?

I liked it. I didn't see it in the theaters so I didn't get the thrill of seeing it in 3D, but I loved how different it was from the original (although the original is an awesome movie as well).

And, yes, I've seen the trailer for The Lords of Salem. Given how unique his films tend to be, I'll watch anything Rob Zombie directs.

Thoughts on The Human Centipede films?

First one was shit. On the other hand, up until the actual making of the centipede, the second one was creepy as fuck (and I mean that in the best way possible). A mute, super-obese Mr. Magoo-looking midget who shits his bed, was sexually molested by his father, and lives in council housing/the projects with a carping mother who contemptuously blames him for his father's imprisonment? I can't think of a more inventive way to get weirded out.

What horror franchise do you think would improve the most by replacing the lead with RG3?

Obviously the answer is Predator. RG3's a lovely man but he's an ugly motherfucker (and he resembles the Predator as well...him and Julio Jones would star in the plurally-named sequel).

Cabin in the Woods. Did you see it and what did you think? Personally I thought it was fantastic, and one of the best introspective looks at the genre I've seen in a long time. Joss Whedon set out to make a self-aware film exposing every horror trope while being comedic but still retaining the sense of fear and suspense. Also...that ending. I don't even.

Excellent analysis of the film. The reason you love this film is the reason I was so turned off by it. I love horror films because I love being scared, creeped out, grossed out, or all three at the same time. Sometimes things precipitously lose their appeal when you look too closely at them. While The Cabin in the Woods thankfully didn't ruin my enjoyment of horror, it certainly could have if I didn't have a passion for the genre.

Which scream queen do you feel you relate to on a personal level?

Brinke Stevens, only because she bent over and unwittingly showed her bush to my thirteen-year-old self and equally horny thirtysomethings at a horror convention.

If you were an actor & needed to prepare for a role by truly becoming your character- would you wear his skin to a birthday party or ingest him with a straw like in Killer Klowns?

Neither...I'd opt to wrap him up in a cotton candy cocoon.

Loved it. I can't wait for the sequel, S-VHS.

Holy smokes their is going to be a sequel? Can't fucking wait. There are not very many movies out there that take that home video perspective and do it right in the horror genre, but god damn I loved that movie.

What about the new Texas Chainsaw film? Did you see it yet?

I enjoyed it for being dumb fun with cool 3D effects.

Gorgeous woman, very underrated actress. That being said, I'm not as big of a fan as most people are of Triangle. I much prefer Timecrimes. If you haven't already seen this Spanish-language time-travel thriller, I highly recommend you do so (I think it's on netflix).

I've found Triangle to be a bit of a marmite film amongst my friends who have seen it. Admittedly I wasn't completely sold on it at the very start but after 30-40 minutes I think most people will have decided if they want to buy into the premise or not.
Timecrimes I will definitely check out, currently watching House of Cards on Netflix at the moment but will make time for it this week. Oh, I finished The League last week too, enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would but I can't stand Ruxin.

Do you see a longevity in Spanish horror/thrillers, or is it similar to the Japanese horror bubble of the late 90s early 00s?

What about the new Texas Chainsaw film? Did you see it yet?

I enjoyed it for being dumb fun with cool 3D effects.

Nah, man. I really wanted to check it out but I just never got the time to do so. I'll definitely be watching it as soon as it comes out on DVD. Was it as good as the TCM remake/reboot they did back in 2004?

I've found Triangle to be a bit of a marmite film amongst my friends who have seen it. Admittedly I wasn't completely sold on it at the very start but after 30-40 minutes I think most people will have decided if they want to buy into the premise or not.
Timecrimes I will definitely check out, currently watching House of Cards on Netflix at the moment but will make time for it this week. Oh, I finished The League last week too, enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would but I can't stand Ruxin.

Do you see a longevity in Spanish horror/thrillers, or is it similar to the Japanese horror bubble of the late 90s early 00s?

One of the positive/negative effects (depending on how you look at it) of globalization is the fact that, once things start to get hot for horror in a country other than the US, Hollywood is going to jump right and scoop up all of the genre's competent directors. No more than 5 or 6 years ago France was THE country for horror films, but that all changed as soon as American producers wooed the likes of Alexandre Aja, Pascal Laugier, Xavier Gens, and, although their deal to helm Halloween 2 fell through, Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo. No one genre movement is able to survive something like this.

So the short answer is no. Furthermore, for the reason I listed above, no horror trend will ever reach what happened in Japan in the late 90s/early 00s.

Nah, man. I really wanted to check it out but I just never got the time to do so. I'll definitely be watching it as soon as it comes out on DVD. Was it as good as the TCM remake/reboot they did back in 2004?

As good as the reboot/remake? Nah. Nothing can match R. Lee Ermey's awesomeness in that film, the 2003 remake (I'm pretty sure it was in 2003) had a better overall cast, and it was a well done B-movie. And I can't forget about this:

[YOUTUBE]PRtTmayVhKI[/YOUTUBE]

The intro for Texas Chainsaw 3D is unique, and I did enjoy it, but they REALLY went out of the way to fall back on every horror cliche imaginable (the car won't start, girls falling down while running, etc.).

Let's start with the sig... do you really think Spring Breakers is going to be a good film? I mean, I'm a huge James Franco fan, the main chicks in it are hot as shit, and I loved the movie Kids the director wrote (while at the same time hated Gummo and Ken Park as you know), but the trailer to this film was one of the worst I've ever seen. I really think it's going to bomb big time, both commercially and critically.

All right, let me respond to your predictions first. Like you, I believe this film is going to bomb at the box office. It will make $16-$18 million in its opening week and then drop off after that. As far as critics go, it's going to get a polarized reception; people are either going to love it or hate it, there won't be an in-between.

As far as why I'm so excited to see this film, there's three reasons. One, Harmony Korine is a great director, especially when it comes to capturing the essence of transgressive American subcultures. He wrote Kids, he directed the classic Gummo (you know how much I love this film) and also Trash Humpers, an indescribable film that was just as polarizing as Spring Breakers will be. Second, this is going to be a contemptuous satire that may even cross over into the realm of absurdity. Although I used to love it when I was in college, any civilized and mature person can see that Spring Break is a loathsome American institution. Spring Break as we know it encapsulates everything that is wrong with today's American college youth. IF Korine meant this film to be taken seriously he wouldn't have cast the likes of James Franco (an actor that is now, in my opinion, just as shrewd at picking roles as Ryan Gosling) in the main role and he would have cast wannabe serious actress try-hards like Blake Lively and Amanda Seyfried in the roles of the young women. Finally, the casting of TWO Disney stars and a star on Pretty Little Liars (an ABC Family show that is probably watched by the same tweener/teenaged girls that used to watch High School Musical) is fucking brilliant, at least from the viewer's standpoint. Here we have three young women who more than likely think they're progressing their careers by taking on more "mature" roles when they're really being used for ironic purposes: why is it that today's young actors and actresses equate starring in gritty, violent, and sexually expressive films as a necessary step in being taken seriously? In my opinion, the agents for Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, and Amber Benson should be fired because this film is going to significantly hurt their chances of becoming anything other than teen idols and sex symbols.

Thoughts on Insidious and are you looking forward to the sequel?

What horror movie coming out this year are you most anticipating?

I'm watching Brazil now. It came out in the mid-80's but I hate it. Surely it must just be me, right?

Any interest in the Maniac remake starring Elijah Wood? The red band trailers are genuinely creepy and disturbing, and Wood is the perfect choice for the lead character.

Thoughts on Insidious and are you looking forward to the sequel?

What horror movie coming out this year are you most anticipating?

Good movie but I think it's stupid that they're doing a sequel. Sure, Insidious gave producers an AMAZING return on their money, but James Wan has proven with Saw AND Insidious that he can make a great (READ: profitable( horror film on a shoestring budget.

I'm watching Brazil now. It came out in the mid-80's but I hate it. Surely it must just be me, right?

I love Brazil. I will probably make a thread in the Media Lounge so we can debate it properly.

Any interest in the Maniac remake starring Elijah Wood? The red band trailers are genuinely creepy and disturbing, and Wood is the perfect choice for the lead character.

I have yet to see the trailers but I'm already skeptical. Maniac was a product of its time. Without a seedy Times Square you'll never get the sleaziness that the first Maniac oozed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back