• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Article On Orton's Promos

thecrock0984

Dark Match Winner
I recently read on wrestlezone.com an article criticizing Ortons promos as of late. Saying he needs to be more passionate and enthusiastic with them. One example brought up his lack of intensity when talking about the WWE championship he never lost. I couldnt disagree more with this article and think the writer was way off. Ive watched wrestling all 24 years of my life. Through the bad, the good, and the just terrible. Right now we are in an age thats diffrent. Theres no more Rock's funny promos, no more Austin chasing Vince or even Kurt Angle spraying the milk. I think things were so great then, everything to come after, will just come up short. Well, almost everything. Because the one thing that doesnt, the one thing that reminds you of the good days, is this new age, THE AGE OF ORTON. Randy Orton is the most enthusiastic, best performer, like him or hate him, in wrestling today. HHH's game is stale, HBK is HBK, but Orton takes it to another level. I love the way he cuts his promos. With the arrogance and pure hate. The cockiness and evil in his eyes. I think the promo he cut on CM Punk was brilliant. Those type of promos fit Orton well, the I am just better than everyone else attitude and fact that he wont acknowledge anyone else as a rightful champion. And the Promo he cut this last Monday, again with the dark tone to it, was great, then slapping Debiase in the face. I blieve if WWE does what right, and pairs Rhodes, DeDiase, Manu and Orton together, we will finally have something worth watching every monday. Having these generation wrestlers together is BRILLIANT. And could be the best thing since Evolution years ago. The Age of Orton paired with these guys, things are looking up on Raw!

Who In Their Right Mind Would Bag On Orton. This Guy Cuts The Best Promos In The Wwe Today. Him Slapping Ted Was Great. This Is Just Proving Who The Leader Of The Group Is. Wwe Is Doing A Great Job With This Stable. I Cant Wait To Watch Raw Now. Its Like Raw Is Good To Look Foward To Again. Smackdown Has Got Some Catching Up To Do. They Have The Talent To Start A Stable To How About Mvp, Shelton, R Truth, And Ezkel As The Power. Each Show Should Have There Own And Invade Other Show And Lead To A Huge Showdown For Brand Surpremacy.

Orton's promos when he doesn't have the belt are a far cry from Orton when he has the belt. When Orton doesn't have the belt, his promos are passionate, intense, and very creative. When he does have the belt, its all "youngest champion ever, legend killer, blahblahblah". When he has the belt, his promos are entirely predictable. I love Orton without the belt, and am not bagging on Orton for his promos as of late...but when he has the belt, he is dull, and I will bag on him for that.

Orton cuts very good promos, considering his character. Everybody who's seen his early stuff knows that speaking. in. a. slow. monotonous. voice. is a part of his gimmick. And I completely disagree that Orton's recent promos have been passionless - they actually seem more energetic than when he's champion! More hungry, more vicious...basically, better than the ones he usually cut while he was WWE Champion. Since his injury Orton seems much more determined to impress and do a good job, and I commend him for it.

Methinks the column writer may have had too much of RVD's Acapulco Gold, or maybe he just plain does not like the type of promos that Orton and Adamle (I don't really know if he knows what he's talking about at all, if he considers Orton and Adamle to be at the same level at cutting promos...) there's no accounting for taste you know. But as for me, I find little to fault in his recent promos.

i think orton cuts good promos. Maybe hes gotten a little rusty from not being in the ring and talking but he still gets good heat when he talks. After he returns to wrestling he'll improve his mic skills again. Hes a good heel generally people hate him

Orton has his good days and bad days. While he was champion, his promo's were lackluster. But some of the segments were intense, i.e the Matt Hardy punt backstage during Jeff's match. That was nuts.

The last few promo's he's cut have been very entertaining as they're all over the place. One night, he convinced me he was going to start an alliance with Priceless. The very next night, he slaps DiBiase in the face. Although I'm sure some kind of stable will come of this, I don't see where/when it's gonna come from/happen.

To be honest, though, when he grabs a mic, I pay attention. Regardless of wether or not he's champ.

Orton, imo, is one of the better guys in the company on the mic. Just like everyone else, not every single promo is going to be remembered forever, but he does have his moments.

The character he's booked as lends to his promos effectiveness or lack thereof in that he does get repetitive sometimes because he is billed as the "Legend Killer" and someone who's destined for greatness.

I do agree with a couple previous posts that RKO's promos are generally better when he's chasing the title. His passion really comes through at those times and his need to be champion just like Triple H used to do and still does, though not as much as before.

Another thing I noticed is that he seems to have worked on his promo skills during his injury because in the several he had since he's come back on tv, he has been great. I'm really wondering if that's going to continue and if we'll see that same thing when he's champion again or if it will seem more like he's not as good on the mic.

I think a couple months of not wrestling and being the voice and leader of his new stable will help too. Assuming they officially start it before his in-ring return, he can really talk up the other guys as future stars the same way HHH and Flair did for Batista and Orton in Evolution.

Diamond, I'm not sure he would purely be the voice of the alliance. Ted DiBiase in particular is amazing on the mic (and will surely play the role Orton did in Evolution, the first out).

Can anyone remember a promo cut by the Corporation the day after Wrestlemania XV. Where Shane McMahon talked up all of the members. I think we need a promo like that, because he didn't use their nicknames, like Priceless or the Prince of Pro Wrestling (wtf?). Orton needs to talk these guys up, but keep them in the underling role. That promo, is the one where he should be judged on his mic ability, because the whole group dynamic is up in the air

Granted, Orton has come a long way from his original "Road to Recovery" promos back when he was in Evolution. But then again, Orton was never given much mic time. Now, being champ for a couple of times, Orton got his mic time. But Orton isn't as good as he could be. I agree with the columnist when he mentioned that Orton's promos are dull and lacking, because Orton only shows himself being stern, or angry (shouting). Orton has plenty of potential, and maybe cutting promos with Rhodes, DiBiase, and Manu and become a Evolution-type leader may help him with his promos. Becoming the new age second generation heel stable as Orton as the wisest leader would make Orton into a stronger heel than ever, and quite possibly could take over RAW when he returns.

I couldn’t disagree more with the writer’s opinion on Orton’s recent promos. In the past when Orton was champion, his delivery was very drawn out and seemed forced, like he was trying too hard. Orton promos six months ago, I had to fight dozing off. Now his delivery is much more natural sounding, not his usual unenthusiastic monotonous self. His first promo back was one of his better promos.

Concerning his lack of passion/enthusiasm regarding the title he never lost, it wouldn’t fit Orton’s cocky character for him to come out ranting and raving, cutting long drawn out promos abo
ut it. His promos the last three weeks have been short and effective. For the first time in awhile, Orton is keeping my attention and makes me want to listen. The time off seems to have agreed with him. I hope he keeps it up because he’s made Raw more entertaining lately.

You guys REALLY think that Orton's promos are the best? I think you mean they are good but NOT the best. Do I have to remind everyone of the perfect promo of all time? I believe that is held by none other than HBK himself in Canada while he was feuding with Hogan. Not only did he ACTUALLY make the crowd think that Hogan was coming out but he also made the crowd think that Bret Hart was coming out. And anyways have you ever head of ANYONE getting more heat than Michaels did that night in the ring in good old Montreal, Canada? Youtube it and take notes because....THAT is how you cut a promo my friends....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back