• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Armageddon to TLC: Good move?

Im in the minority too I mean heaven forbid the WWE trying something different. Like someone said earlier its not like every Match will be HIAC or TLC,its only the Main Events for the WWE & World Heavyweight Title. Plus maybe one of the other Big Matches that are on the Cards as well if another Feud needs to end. Lets see how Breaking Point works out which I am looking forward too.

Will hit it right on the head with this one. TNA's Lockdown works because it's only once a year that their viewing audience gets to see an all-cage match PPV - it makes it something SPECIAL. What the WWE is doing now is creating a super-saturation of the gimmick-match PPV. They are assuming that bigger (or more) always means better. This is NOT the case.

These theme matches that they are putting together could easily be considered "big ones." You never see a Hell in a Cell match on RAW just because Vince McMahon or the guest host is feeling extra maliscious on that particular day. You don't see everyone on ECW deciding to go all Canadian on us (ex: see Chris Benoit, Bret Hart, Chris Jericho, etc.) and make everyone submit to a killer hold. And most of all, you don't see the undisputed masters of the TLC, Edge and J. Hardy, putting on a signature match just because they can.

What I'm getting at here is that these matches are meant to be the be-all end-all of a feud. And it better be a damn good feud if they don't want to bastardize the impact of these matches.

I think that this is a bad move by WWE. I was okay with NWO featuring the Elimination Chamber but the whole Breaking Point, Hell in a Cell, and now this is going a bit too far. We only saw Hell in a Cell and TLC once a year and that was cool but now they are throwing out gimmick matches like its candy. It ruins the mystique of the TLC match and since Edge is injured and Hardy is gone, I don't know if they can have a good one. They still have superstars who have been in TLC matches so maybe it won't be that bad.

I think this is another wrong move by WWE. They are replacing a lot of names which have history and represent what WWE is supposed to represent. I won't be surprised if they change No Way Out to WWE Elimination Chamber or Rage in the Cage which is another let down. Giving the name of a Stipulation as a Pay Per View name isn't right. They should keep No Mercy, Unforgiven etc. as Pay Per View names. They should just make matches with the stipulation at the Pay Per View.

Having gimmick themed PPVs maybe the worst idea for PPVs ever. I'm not against having a gimmick match once in a year. Seeing a gimmick match once in a year is kinda fresh for me. Everyone actually forgets about why we love gimmick matches so much. In TNA one of the biggest problems they have is they throw away too many gimmick matches that's not needed. There is no reason for any of the Abbys' matches to be no dq or no reason for Williams' matches to be ladder. If you use your gimmicks too much when you put it on PPV people start to care less. Do you remember steel cage matches back in NWA. Steel cage matches were considered one of the most brutal matches at that time but right now because of it's overuse no one sees steel cage matches at that way.

The greatness of PPV matches is when they're used for finishing a very heated rivalry. Michael vs Jericho is one of the biggest examples of it. The feud had every it needed and when it had to finish it finished with a great ladder match(One of the best ladder matches of all time) It what makes me excited for a gimmick match see it at the end of an exciting feud. Thats why TNA's gimmick matches don't work because there is no heat between wrestlers.

It'll be unfortunately same for HIAC and TLC because when you do it on a constant PPV you know when are you gonna see that match and it's so hard to book a heated feud for that time. So it kills the excitement. We'll probably see HIAC and TLC matches with 2 week build up. The other problem with these PPVs be we'll see these matches probably at least 2 times in one night and it'll kill the excitement of main event. I can understand with EC matches because it's really hard to build 6 man for match so you can use this match on a constant PPV but if they start to use my favorite gimmick matches in PPVs without build up and seeing the same match 2 or 3 times in the same night.

I feel it's a corner they have backed themselves into. With so many gimmick-less PPV's that are all crammed with high profile matches to generate buy rates, it leaves WrestleMania and Summerslam feeling less special than they should. How was last years Summerslam and Armageddon feel any different really?

To combat this Vince obviosuly feelsgiving other PPV's a gimmick will change this instead of putting up PPV matches that are different on the smaller PPV's and leave the big match ups for the big PPV's.

As for the TLC ppv, no thankyou. If there hadn't been a TLC match as recently as the last PPV I might look forward to it more. Gimmicks are better as one offs, though I'm sure only the main events will be TLC, just like Breaking Point.

The best thing about gimmick matches, is the surprise of when they will ever occur again. Now with these gimmick styled payperviews there is absolutely no surprise to when it will occur and it ruins the overall product.

The submission ppv i am ok with only because of the fact that is different types of submission matches and it has a cool title. I mean where is the creativity in Hell in a Cell and TLC. Whats next changing No Way Out to Elimination Chamber. Hopefully they wont change all of the ppvs to gimmick matches as the name

Like I said originally, I am not a fan of this move or gimmick PPV's at all simply because it makes gimmick matches seem less special because you know when its going to appear now AND it defeats the purpose of them actually fitting in with the feud.

Remember when Hell in a Cell matches were announced and you'd hear that plug from commentators like this: "How is a superstar supposed to prepare for this?" once its came out of the blue. Now, you KNOW when they occur.

This move particularly? It upsets me. Armageddon is one of my favourite PPV's that isn't in the big four. It's one of the only PPV's where I associate a song with it: The End is Near. Its been used for a couple of Armageddon PPV's.

I will always remember the Armageddon Hell in a Cell (A gimmick match which now in years to come won't seem that big a deal with the way WWE is going)...

All of this has been scrapped for a move that will ultimately downgrade the TLC match. Yes, its exciting. Yes, it has a lot of risk. But the general fact is: oversell it and you'll kill it.

It won't just be tables that are broken, it will be that match's prestige.

So hang on, the WWE has made another PPV based around a certain type of match?! What next, No Way Out changing to Elimination Chamber? This absolutely blows and, as pretty much everyone has so said far, it'll kill all interest in that type of match in the future.

Before all of this, it was a big deal when a match like Hell in a Cell or TLC was announced. It made that PPV special, it was the highlight, it was the reason why you paid to watch the show. To have more than one type of this match on the same show is bad enough, but actually having an entire 3 hour PPV based around it is just overkill! In answer to the question in the title of this thread... no. Not a good move at all... infact a bloody stupid one!

Like most people have said, I think that it is a bad idea.

It takes away from the excitment of the gimmick matches to have an entire PPV dedicated to the gimmick match. If every match or title match is going to be defended in a TLC or HIAC match, then what makes that match special? It will be old by the second title match of the PPV. They used to be able to sell an entire PPV based off of a gimmick match. I remember ordering many a PPV just to see HIAC or TLC, but now, it isn't going to be anything special anymore.

WWE just takes the fun out of everything these days. They could mess up a wet dream.

I think WWE is testing out what gimmick ppv will sell the most and the one that does stays and the ones that don't go, if that is teh case then yes I am fine with TLC being a ppv, if not then I hope to God those matches are awesome or else this'll be a huge waste of time. I think their should only be 3 gimmick ppv's at most, and if they are testing which one will work this they will those three being: Extreme Rules, NWO and TLC, BP, or HIAC.

As for this happening it's proves that evolution effects everything it's just wrestling evolving, it went from Steel cage to HIAC, Elimination Chamber or Steel Asylum, from ladder to TLC or Ultimate X, and from those to something completely different it's hwo everything works. All of the base matches have been put on for free where as the TLC, Ultimate X Elimination chamber haven't but eventually they will it's how life works.

Another point is that where do they go from here? Taker-Punk will have been going about a month by the time they have a Hell in a Cell match, what next? How do they up the stakes and make it more interesting? Punk and Taker have the potential to have an amazing feud, one that could be big enough to justify a Hell in a Cell match. But they shouldn't be forced to have one too early, or they risk ruining the feud. Same thing with Cena-Orton. You've got two of the biggest stars on Raw in a feud that should be the focus of the brand till about Survivor Series at least, but if they have HiaC two month's in, where next? What happens when this feud becomes really personal? How do they make it more violent than HiaC? A shotgun-on-an-electrified-barbed-wire-pole match? They should at least swap Hell in a Cell with TLC. Have Hell in a Cell end the year with a huge match, then start bulding feuds for Wrestlemania.

When WWE makes these ppvs with a special gimmick match as the main event for both world titles (hopefully ecw does not get one), it really just ruins the match. For example, I'm pretty sure most people do not get as excited as they used to when they know an elimination chamber is coming because it happens twice a year in the SAME night. Plus it seems like now the elimination chamber is filled with fill-ins (mike knox and kofi kingston?) because they force it to happen even if its not ready. So this is why Armageddon changing to TLC sucks cause we could possibly see a shitty match with 2 people who don't fight in those matches, but it is forced to happen anyways becuase that is what the ppv is named.

The funny thing about the whole thing is that if you go to WWE.com, The TLC PPV is schedule for november 22Th and it's not replacing Armageddon at all since the Armageddon PPV is still schedule in december. I sure that a mistake on their part because if not, that would mean that Survivor series as been replace by TLC and not armageddon and if that's true then it's a very bad move on their part. Taking out one of the top 4 PPV for this is like if they decided to stop doing wrestlemania or the royal rumble just so they could put one a stupid gimmick ppv. Survivor series is a staple in the WWE and people are going to buy this PPV no matter what because it one of those event that they know and love to watch.

If that's true and it's not a mistake then the TLC PPV will tanked because i don'T see anybody really buying the PPV that replaced Survivor series.

I think i'm going to have to disagree with just about everyone here. THe simple fact is that gimmick ppvs will = buys. straight forward wrestling fans may dislike it, but fans of gimmick matches are going to love it, and especially kids will probably want to see HIAC and TLC. In all honesty, as long as the main events are the only gimmick matches, i have no problem. Plus, i have a feeling they will begin to stop using HIAC and TLC outside of their respective ppv's, so it won't really be over saturation. THe main reason i'm all for it, it it gives longer fueds a chance to break up standard wrestling matches, and it makes the fued more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back