• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are Video Games Holding Our Hands Too Much?

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Yesterday I finally got my DS back from Nintendo, as they'd been fixing it for over a month (probably would have cost the same to buy a new system, but I really didn't want to let go of my Zelda edition DS!). I haven't had it working since before the last Pokemon installment came out, so I decided to pick up Black Version and give it a go. The first thing I noticed were the new visuals, an intro video, and the fact that I have two rivals now instead of one. After getting over my fanboy rage that I had two battles at the beginning, and my first victory didn't grant me an automatic level up, I proceeded out into the world.

Disclaimer: I do actually really enjoy the game, so don't take my incoming criticisms as a slam against the entire game, or the series as a whole.

Before I could face the first gym leader, I was treated to the usual "how to play" bull crap we've been getting for years. It still frustrates me that I have to spend 20 minutes being show how to battle, how to catch a Pokemon, what items do, and how to use them... But since they've been doing that since Generation II I've learned to live with it. But this time around, not only do they start you with Pokeballs, potions (and place both Pokeballs and potions in easy to find item drops along the first path), some random guy GIVES you a new Pokemon. What's more ridiculous: this Pokemon is based off of whichever element you start the game with, in order to make your first gym leader more easily beatable. Even more ridiculous? The first "gym leader" is actually THREE gym leaders, but you only face one based on whichever Pokemon you picked at the beginning. But since you have a powerful creature with strength against him...it doesn't actually matter. Also, TM's can now be used as many times as you want, making it easier for you to spam OP moves on all your guys.

For those of you who don't care about Pokemon, and have no idea what the above rant means... I'm basically saying that they've taken a game that's all about exploration and figuring things out for yourself, and walked you through the first hour + of content. Starting out with a water AND a fire (AND catching a dark type?) before the first gym leader? Are you kidding me? This is also present in the new Mario and Donkey Kong games. In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, if you fail enough an icon will pop up and ask you if you want to be shown how to do the level. Same basic think in DK. I'm sure this is not something only present in Nintendo games, but I've noticed it a lot more recently while playing them.

I'm the kind of guy that likes Dark Souls: a game that tears you apart, eats your corpse, and spits out the bones, than requires you to try all over again. A game you can't load save states, and every decision you make is final. It's brutal, and you want to die by the end, but it's worth it because the game is AWESOME. I'm also the guy that likes to simply have fun, hence why I love Smash Bros. and Mario Galaxy - not overtly difficult games. But I don't appreciate a computer FORCING me out of my ignorance, and hand-feeding me the game content.

So what do you think? Are games becoming too easy? Is there a need to pander to the casual gamer or kid that may have never played the series before? Should games like Pokemon come with a "veteran-style mode" that allows you to skip, or maybe just change some of the intro content so you can explore it all for yourself?

Egoraptor touched on this subject(kind of) in one of his videos recently, it's worth watching if your willing to sit through the whole 20 minutes of it.
[YOUTUBE]8FpigqfcvlM[/YOUTUBE]

I agree that there is a lot of hand holding in games nowadays but i guess it's to make games more accessible to the casual gaming market.
The main reason the Nintendo wii is selling so much more then the Xbox360 or PS3 is because Nintendo made games that appealed to people who never owned consoles before. Because of that games developers realised there was a whole extra market of customers that would be willing to buy games if they were accessible to them. I guess that's why games tend to "hold your hand" a lot at the start instead of letting you find things out for yourself. Casual gamers don't want to spend all that time finding out for themselves how to do things, they would rather be shown from the get go.
While i find it annoying sometimes i can't begrudge companies trying to expand their target market in a tough economic climate. If they make more money then they can afford to make better quality games. As long as they provide an option to skip the tutorials then no harm done i guess.

Thanks so much for posting that video. The whole series is really great, but in particular I feel attached to the MegaMan one, besides the fact that it perfectly emphasizes the point I was trying to make. MegaMan X never had any stupid pop-up bubbles telling you exactly what to do, or "hints" that ruined the thrill of figuring the game out yourself. I never realized all the subtleties in the intro stage of the game, and the video is truly making me rethink the teaching method some of my favorites games use.

Don't beat me over the head with the game's mechanics. Let me die 10 times and figure it out... It's a game - I just paid $50 for it - and it's not going to explode Mission IMpossible style if I don't do things exactly the right way in the first five minutes.

Games are becoming way too easy i agree, and it's only going to get worse, trust me.

You picked a damn good example in Pokemon black/white; keeping in mind that at it's heart it is a kid's game, and as such caters towards the types of people that actually do need to be reminded of the fact that all pokemon have certain weaknesses, which need to be exploited to actually win the game.. it's just way too easy to steamroll through the first few gyms, and the damn idea that the pokemon you need to beat the other (supposedly) harder gyms are usually found in the patches of grass outside the city is just absurd.

if the game's primary market is children, then expect the developers to pander to there intelligence simple as that, but they do tend to usually make up for pandering to the kiddies with other content like the EV training and crazy "proper" breeding techniques in pokemon, hard as fuck for a kid to understand, and as a result they get destroyed online by the older "veterans" who don't need to have their hand held.

Great shout out to Dark souls by the way, great game.

If you think Pokemon games are too easy that's because there is a reason for that: the games are targeted at kids. Maybe not just kids, but casual gamers anyways. If you want a challenge out of those games try battling online or in tournaments. Suddenly having unlimited TMs doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Honestly, I think the reason games have become "easier" is because people don't want to invest all their damn time into a game. Using Dark Souls as an example, I invested a fair amount of time and energy into that game. I loved it at first but when I have invested 30+ hours and have gotten literally nowhere, I begin to question why I am causing myself so much grief and frustration over something that isn't real. I like using video games as an escape from real life and I like exploring fictional worlds. What I don't like doing is invest more time and work into a game than real life . Especially when you go nowhere for your efforts.

Obviously there needs to be a balance, but I know for me personally I like a playing a good story and exploring a well realized world. As long as there is enough of a challenge to keep it from getting boring, than I'm good. I don't play games to work, I do it to escape it.

"Pokemon games are for kids." Fair argument. Here's my rebuttal:

I was a kid when I started playing them, so of course I understand that they are for kids. The entire concept of Pokemon is extremely marketable, and everything they put out is geared towards kids. Makes sense. How many adults are going to watch a Pokemon TV series? But that doesn't mean we have to make the game so mind-numbingly simple, and literally walk them through every step of it. Red/Blue were for kids, no? When those games came out, there was a CHALLENGE about them! If you didn't get a strategy guide (and there was no simple way of looking it up on the interwebs) you had to spend dozens of hours figure out what each creature did, how it evolved, and what you needed to do to beat the next area.

They were definitely geared TOWARDS kids, but they also challenged the users. First gym leader is Rock type. Oh, you didn't pick Bulbasaur or Squirtle? That sucks, better train up your team and battle with some skill then! Oh, you didn't spend the hours trying to catch a Pikachu in the forest? You STILL have that Charmander? Well...good luck with Misty noob! When you do finally beat her, figure out for yourself how to get HM CUT so you can beat the third gym leader! Oh, what's that? You have a rock type, so it'll be easy? Too bad it has a Raichu...that knows SLAM!

In Black/White they start you off with what is essentially TWO starters, making it almost impossible NOT to defeat the first gym leader. You literally have to be a moron... They GIVE you HM CUT for free - you don't even have to do any real work. This after the 10 pokeballs and 5 potions you can find/are given in the first hour. TM's are infinite, making the game a breeze once you get a few good ones. It's no longer about which four moves you have, and will have for the next 10 hours of game play. It's just about getting TM's and switching out whatever you want to make it simple. I had to switch to "set mode" just to make battling a bit of a challenge... GUys, I've played and own every single Pokemon version, and this is by far the easiest of the series.

You reach a point where you go past making a game easier or accessible to kids, and just start insulting their intelligence. The games were ALREADY pointed at kids, but now instead of challenging them, they're taking them by the hand and playing the game for them.

I think this may be a matter of accessibility. I've been thinking lately about how some games force you through a lot of stuff that you may already be familiar with, maybe even having beat the game before. If I'm playing through again I'd rather not sit through all the cutscenes I've seen before, and I don't want to be walked through a tutorial when I know how to do everything. Even with a sequel to a game I'm familiar with I'll be instructed how to do everything at the beginning. I understand why this is done, for the sake of casual/beginner players, but forcing everyone else through it is kind of a hassle. I think options need to be given to make games as accessible as they can be. Don't want to watch a cutscene you've seen? Skip it. Already know how to play a game? Skip right past the tutorial, with a short explanation of what's new in this one. Let people start at a harder difficulty if they want to. Basically, give people the option to play a game how they want.

[Heel] Green Ranger;3648173 said:
"Pokemon games are for kids." Fair argument. Here's my rebuttal:

I was a kid when I started playing them, so of course I understand that they are for kids. The entire concept of Pokemon is extremely marketable, and everything they put out is geared towards kids. Makes sense. How many adults are going to watch a Pokemon TV series? But that doesn't mean we have to make the game so mind-numbingly simple, and literally walk them through every step of it. Red/Blue were for kids, no? When those games came out, there was a CHALLENGE about them! If you didn't get a strategy guide (and there was no simple way of looking it up on the interwebs) you had to spend dozens of hours figure out what each creature did, how it evolved, and what you needed to do to beat the next area.

They were definitely geared TOWARDS kids, but they also challenged the users. First gym leader is Rock type. Oh, you didn't pick Bulbasaur or Squirtle? That sucks, better train up your team and battle with some skill then! Oh, you didn't spend the hours trying to catch a Pikachu in the forest? You STILL have that Charmander? Well...good luck with Misty noob! When you do finally beat her, figure out for yourself how to get HM CUT so you can beat the third gym leader! Oh, what's that? You have a rock type, so it'll be easy? Too bad it has a Raichu...that knows SLAM!

In Black/White they start you off with what is essentially TWO starters, making it almost impossible NOT to defeat the first gym leader. You literally have to be a moron... They GIVE you HM CUT for free - you don't even have to do any real work. This after the 10 pokeballs and 5 potions you can find/are given in the first hour. TM's are infinite, making the game a breeze once you get a few good ones. It's no longer about which four moves you have, and will have for the next 10 hours of game play. It's just about getting TM's and switching out whatever you want to make it simple. I had to switch to "set mode" just to make battling a bit of a challenge... GUys, I've played and own every single Pokemon version, and this is by far the easiest of the series.

You reach a point where you go past making a game easier or accessible to kids, and just start insulting their intelligence. The games were ALREADY pointed at kids, but now instead of challenging them, they're taking them by the hand and playing the game for them.

Believe me, I've played through all of them too, I know what your talking about. Something Cracka Jack above me said is the answer to this. He mentioned the word accessibility. If my memory is correct, part of the plan for the Generation V games was to sort of reintroduce the franchise. Something of a reboot just not as drastic. Hence why they had entirely new Pokemon. By that logic, they probably decided to go an extra step to help out newbies who are playing these games for the first time. Hence the slightly excessive hand holding. As for the stuff like being shown how to do everything in every game (like being taught how to catch a pokemon in every game) that stuff really takes all of maybe a minute or two. It really isn't that big of a deal. Neither is the fact that they give you the elemental monkey which is good against the first gym leader. If you want a challenge, just don't use it.

There is truth to what your saying. Games definitely go that extra mile to make sure people don't get flustered or confused. Sometimes they do more than they should, but I prefer those games over the ones that give you zero fucking direction and leave you confused as shit.

Games being somewhat easier these days can actually be a good thing. Back in the day when games required more challenge to complete, it turned away many people due to frustration. Try completing Dragon Quest 2 at all. Just once. Or Final Fantasy 1 through 3 on the NES. Way tougher than any modern game. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer, therefore easier options should be out there. The best alternative is to have multiple difficulty settings. Easy for beginners, Normal for a typical run, and Hard/Legendary for the hardcore crowd are the obvious "must haves". Some games also have even tougher difficulty settings you can unlock that border on nightmarish in how tough it becomes. These need to be around to please the hardcore gaming community who do feel that games are to easy these days. The casual gamers need easier settings too though, or else the games may turn them away. It needs to be the best of both worlds, offering multiple difficulty settings as many games do, is the only realistic way to please everyone.

Try completing Dragon Quest 2 at all. Just once.
Ok. Now what? ;)

Or Final Fantasy 1 through 3 on the NES.
Point: "Games being easier is possibly a good thing. Just try playing Final Fantasy 3 on the NES." Counter-point: Final Fantasy 3 on the NES is the single greatest JRPG ever created. Ever. Anybody can disagree with me, but I don't give a shit, because you are wrong. FF3 is gaming.

The best alternative is to have multiple difficulty settings. Easy for beginners, Normal for a typical run, and Hard/Legendary for the hardcore crowd are the obvious "must haves".
I agree, to a point. For instance, I like playing Skyrim at a harder difficulty, and I'd love it if something like Pokemon had a setting that allowed me to skip all the bullshit. I would never force some kid to play Dark Souls on the hardest difficulty...that would be cruel and unusual punishment. However, I also think there's a great need to challenge the kids playing video games. If it's too damn easy, and they walk the user through every step, what's the point? Where is the challenge? Red/Blue version they gave you the option of teaching you how to catch a Pokemon, and that was about it. You worked for everything else... There's accessibility, and there's making the game worse because it's too damn easy.

It's a fine line. Honestly, there are certain genres of gaming that I think should have varying levels of difficulty. There are others that I would rather just streamline the process. If something like FF3 or Crono Trigger had an "easy mode" there would be a LOT of very upset oldschool gamers.

[Heel] Green Ranger;3655256 said:
Ok. Now what? ;)

You beat Dragon Quest 2? Mad props there. I beat it only once and refuse to ever play it again. I liked the challenge, but to play it again would be torture. It's like playing Final Fantasy 1 with 4 White Mages. You do it once for bragging rights and then never put yourself through it again.

Final Fantasy 3 on the NES is the single greatest JRPG ever created. Ever. Anybody can disagree with me, but I don't give a shit, because you are wrong. FF3 is gaming.

It was a great game and incredibly challenging. I certainly wouldn't call it the best, you are entitld to that opinion though. It isn't even in the top tier in its own series. The best JRPG was Tales of Symphonia. :)

If something like FF3 or Crono Trigger had an "easy mode" there would be a LOT of very upset oldschool gamers.

Chrono Trigger didn't need any difficulty settings. It was fine the way it was and other than Magus' Castle I never really had trouble with any bosses or events. FF3 on the other hand was downright unfair sometimes in its difficulty. That game is the reason we now have save points. If a boss killed you, the entire temple would have to be re-explored. That boss who changed his weakness every round. The enemies that cloned themselves if you weren't a Dark Knight. The skyrocketing of the difficulty once you got to the main map. I won't even start on how frustating it was when they forced you to turn into frogs or minis. Clearing that game felt like a true accomplishment.

Gaming isn't always about challenges or accomplishments though so both the hardcore crowd and casual gamers need to be fulfilled and that is why I lean heavily in favor of difficulty settings. Even in a game like FF3 it could have worked because those who want more of a challenge would get access to one.

All the Pokemon games had a starting path that allowed you to plow through the first gym leader (Except Yellow). The difference here would be that it's more blatant and gives you more freedom instead of condemning you to always pick the same starter Pokemon to make the beginning easy. There's that and acceptability to more casual gamers. The DS is huge contrast to the more hardcore gamer friendly GBA. I saw a 50 year old lady playing one the other day. But more to the point, sometimes it's best to make the start of the game teach you through. I still get headaches when playing Super Metroid because I forget what I can do next. It's one of my all-time favorites but it still gives me the old style of rage-quit.

It comes naturally at this day and age. Pokemon and it's style of gaming can be genuinely difficult to learn and get used to. Just try and remember what types are super-effective over others and then add dual types to those equations to really crisp your head. A helping hand at the start of the game can be frustrating at first, but even hardcore gamers can appreciate it by learning from new things added to said games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back