• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone remember the last big fluke win?

KBeef

Occasional Pre-Show
I have been watching now for over 20 years, my question is when was the last time a Big match ended in a fluke?

I mean like a title match that ended with a roll up or something surprising.

For example I remember in the New Generation this would happen a lot and even Bret Hart won the WWF title from Diesel with a small package in the mid 90s.

Just wondering why doesn't this happen more often? and when was the last time this happened?

I can't really recall the last time it happened but pre the wrestling boom of the mid/late '90s it was common to see a pin fall happen out of no where. I seem to remember a lot of NWA/WCW, AWA and other smaller National promotions using such finishes. In the F/E Hart would regularly win with a quick move out of no where. It played well with his character. When the boom period came into play everthing just seemed to go so over the top. Everything had to end in a big time fashion.

I always thought that Sheamus beating John Cena in the Tables match for the WWE Championship looked like a big fluke win.

I 100% agree the finish of that match fell extremely flat and sheamus was still very new at that point. It just seemee like a fluke. Also Santino in his first match againt Umaga. Fan comes out of hometown crowd and pins not only the IC champion but does so against a powerhouse such as Umaga is a huge fluke.

WWE would be smart (and entertaining) to have more of these. In the past few months, when Kofi Kingston defeated Randy Orton on RAW and Cesaro beat the Viper on Smackdown, they were surprising and exciting developments. Especially in Cesaro's case, it felt like it helped legitimize him in the main event scene.

I don't think "fluke" style wins are only for upsets though. Personally I think every time a champion or a main eventer faces a mid carder or a jobber on TV, the top star shouldn't exclusively use his non-submission finisher to defeat the lesser man. Top stars should be able to beat jobbers with signature moves and Big Moves (DDT, power bomb, superplex, etc.). I'm an adult, so I know Cena is going to beat Brodus Clay in their little 8:20 match on RAW. But you don't need to telegraph it for me right up until the AA. I can find some level of enjoyment and surprise if it isn't such a A-B-C match. Give me some element of novelty.

hmmm
ultimate warrior beats honky tonk man(title match)
jeff hardy beats hhh(title match
shelton benjemin beats hhh
123 kid beats razor ramone
barry horowitz beats skip
jericho beats hhh(title match)
cm punk defeats John cena(title match)
Maven beats undertaker
That is 8 examples over the years alone. UW winning was a fluke cause nobody expected him to be the challenger. Hardy wining the IC title was a fluke cause that was during the 2 man powertrip era and it was supposed to be a punishment match. Shelton beating hhh cause Shelton was basically a rookie freshly drafted to smackdown and challenged the big dog in hhh. 123 cause razor was hot and 123 kid was pretty much a jobber. Barry horowitz was a career jobber and it was a huge surprise to the wresting world to actually see him get not just 1 win but to kick off a winning streak that started with him beating skip of the bodydonnas but cumulating in him being the captain of a team at survivor series. Jericho cause it was during the mcmahn-helmsley era and the match got restarted due to hhh threatening to fire the ref. Cm punk due to his contract was up and nobody knew if he truly was resigning or not and the idea of somebody beating cena and leaving the company with the title was unheard of in this era. Maven beats undertaker for the hardcore title? beats the hell out of me for this reasoning. Maven was a rookie and really stood no chance but I cant remember how he did, but only that he did do it.
These all were shocks and some (flukes) as they "were'nt" supposed to happen due to some reason or another. Mitb has taken the fluke win out of wins like this due to its a cash in similair to the 24/7 rule on the old hardcore title. A man can be beat half to death and a breifcase can be cashed in anytime pretty much. The latest surprise or fluke win in the MITB era I would say was John cena DEfending the title against MITB winner and cash in Damien sandow marking the first time a briefcase holder failed to win the title in a straight up with no interference match.

I'm having trouble remembering anything off the bat. Maybe Maven eliminating the Undertaker in the RR would count? I also think Jeff Hardy beat HHH with a roll up on Smackdown back in 09, when HHH was WWE champ. But thats all i can think off at the moment. That said surprise, upset, or fluke victories is something WWE could use more off. When some one catches there competitor off guard with a school boy roll up or something like to steal a win it adds a get sense of realism to the WWE. I think WWE could use more of it to help garner a feeling of in any given match, anyone could beat anyone.

Off the top of my head, the one genuine fluke win that I can recall over the past 20 years that genuinely seemed like a fluke, I mean in which NOBODY gave the winner the slightest chance of winning would be Razor Ramon losing to the soon to be renamed 1-2-3 Kid on May 17, 1993. It wasn't for a title, it was about 4 months or so before Razor won the IC title for the first time and Razor had beaten the crap outta the guy in a couple of matches already. It's probably the most memorable "fluke" win of the past 20+ years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyt67OuO3jw

This one is probably my all time favorite, as No One saw this coming. Good old Barry Horowitz.
I forgot about the Kofi one a few months back, But I am not saying this should a regular occurrence but It takes away from the match when I see more than two finishers.

I think Santinos debut was a giant fluke even though Lashely practically did all the work. Its still a big fluke because a guy from the crowd beat the monstrous IC champion for the championship.

When Edge first cashed in the first MITB that seemed like a big surprise/fluke, being that it was over Cena. Another one IMO was Sandow losing his MITB title match to Cena. Which seems odd but by then you expect the MITB winner to flat out win the belt.

Undertakers streak loss to Lesnar looked like a fluke win.

But yeah in the 90s the fluke wins happened all the time, one of the biggest ever was on Raw in 1993 with 123 Kid beating Razor Ramon, if people don't know that story, basically Kid had no name was jobbing every week, coudn't win a match, then shocks Razor in was was suppose to be a squash match, then he gets the name 1-2-3 Kid, his career was made off a huge fluke win. Brilliant booking.

I remember Bo Dallas defeated the then IC champ Wade Barrett in a huge shock a couple of years ago. Bo wasn't on the main roster and had a match on Raw against Barrett which ended up being for nothing. Surprising, still.

Also Paige vs AJ.

Even though the OP said "fluke" , I don't think he is necessarily talking about an unexpected "upset" like Santino winning the IC title. He's talking about a quick, unexpected end to the match between "equal" opponents. His example was a roll-up victory for Bret Hart over Diesel.

I see his point, one of the greatest matches of all time ended in a small package (Savage-Steamboat). I'm sure it's happened on the mid-card not too long ago, (I'm thinking Sheamus was involved in something like this recently against Cesaro or Barrett), but it never happens in high-profile matches.

I think the business has changed, and a quick victory like that is considered "anti-climactic". Getting the win off the finisher, even if it takes multiple attempts, seems to be a "must" now.

I know its not necessarily a fluke win but when Kofi won one of his I/C titles off a top rope cross body. I don't know if it was mean to end that way but its not something that happens often, I liked the idea of a suprise win off a move that hasn't got a 3 count since the 80s.

I think the last big fluke win might have been Jeff Hardy over Triple H at Armageddon...2007? He countered the Pedigree with a Jacknife Rollup Pin. And before that, HBK over Triple H at Summerslam 2002 with the same finish. Hardy vs. Triple H was for the #1 contendership for the WWE Title and I doubt anyone thought Hardy stood a chance against the almighty Triple H especially when a shot at the belt was on the line. And Michaels had just returned to the ring for the first time in 4 years, so I don't think anyone expected him to beat HHH either. Both were really great moments.

I don't know why WWE don't use roll up wins in big matches anymore, but I'm dying for them to bring them back cause some of my favourite wrestling victories have come by roll up pins like the Hart-Diesel match mentioned, AJ vs. Daniels vs. Joe at Unbreakable 2005, and Michaels vs. HHH at Summerslam 2002. They're so much more exciting and they make the win all the more sweet as you never see them coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back