• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

And So The Long Slow Build Begins

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
This might be me simply reading too much into things but, to me, reading between the lines last night generated a view of what's going to happen with Roman Reigns and some are going to flat out, 100% despise it if it turns out that I'm right. A lot of it also depends on whether or not various reports as to the goings on for WrestleMania next year are accurate.

Last night, Brock Lesnar openly challenged Roman Reigns to a fight on Raw when suddenly out came Braun Strowman. Strowman had a few words for Lesnar before saying something to the effect that Roman Reigns is his first. As a result, it's likely we'll see Reigns vs. Strowman at WrestleMania and that Lesnar vs. Strowman may not actually happen at all, especially if Reigns goes over Strowman.

My guess is that WWE is going to spend the next 364 days or so really, really building up Roman Reigns with him definitively proving that the WWE is now indeed his "yard." Reigns will have various feuds, feuds he'll come out on top of during which we'll see him becoming more and more dominant as time goes by. Brock Lesnar will have his occasional title defenses here and there in which he basically decimates his opponents and will probably, occasionally, have Paul Heyman call out Roman Reigns. Maybe, instead of Reigns coming out, this is how a new challenger for Lesnar's title comes about each time until we hit WrestleMania season next year. During this time, WWE continues with the same tired formula for Lesnar in which he obliterates anyone put in front of him to the point where you feel bad for the guy being made to look like a scrub, Roman Reigns also dominates the roster and it ultimately comes down, one way or another, to Reigns finally stepping after the better part of a year, faces Lesnar for the Universal Championship at WrestleMania, defeats him decisively to win the title and Lesnar finally hangs it up as his contract is said to be up after WrestleMania next year. The result if what Vince wants: Roman Reigns being the young guy to decisively take out Brock Lesnar after having taken out the Undertaker and establishing himself as the true "big dog" in WWE.

Sound depressing? Yeah, I thought so too because if this is indeed the general idea of where Vince wants WWE to go with these guys, then the Raw main event scene is really, really going to suffer over the next year. Lesnar will pop up ever 3 or 4 months to defend his title while massacring every opponent put in front of him while Roman Reigns essentially ascends to the mantle of WWE's Superman by beating guy after guy in a way that leaves little to no doubt that Reigns comes out on top in nearly every single match without some massively overbooked interference. For me, it's extremely boring to see WWE apply the formula to Lesnar and it'll be even worse if WWE decides to go full fledged Super Cena style booking with Roman Reigns.

EDIT - Even though I think most people get that I meant Payback, I mistakenly said it'd be Reigns vs. Strowman at WrestleMania.

I've no issues with it.

If anything, it's the RIGHT move.

Roman Reigns needs to be THE GUY. I'm not saying he should be or will be what John Cena was for nearly a decade. Because I loathed John Cena the person, the wrestler, the performer, and the character(the Never give up, overcome the odds BS he would utter, even in 2011 with Punk).

I like Reigns' matches too, unlike John Cena's. I just never liked the way John wrestled, his core moveset.

That being said, The WWE will also push Seth Rollins and Finn Balor and AJ Styles now and then , similar to how Kurt Angle was pushed.

But Roman Reigns, regardless of what the IWC or people in general consider him to be in terms of Skills- whether on the Mic, charisma, or wrestling skills- Roman Reigns is simply the best choice, the only choice Vince and the WWE have, after a decade of John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton, as their newest "Big Guy" or "The Guy".

And if it means he'll beat Brock at WM or whenever, I'm all for it.

I think more and more people should begin to like Roman Reigns.

The guy is tall, has a presence, is as Agile as the Undertaker with his fluid superman punches, Driveby, and over-the-top-rope leap, has good moves , and is simply put , a Star.

I'm an AJ Styles fan, I was a huge Kurt Angle fan, but in Wrestling, you need a Kurt Angle, you need a Shawn Michaels, and you need a Undertaker/Brock Lesnar/Hogan/Scott Hall, basically a big guy with presence, who can also put on good matches.

Seth Rollins is the new Shawn Michaels, Finn Balor is the Eddie Guerrero, and Roman Reigns is the new Undertaker minus the Deadman Gimmick and Darkness stuff.

Why not just embrace Roman Reigns? It's not like he's John Cena from 2005 with lame moves like the Five Knuckle Shuffle, stupid Orange tshirts and gear, and stupid theme music.

As for Brock Lesnar as the Universal champion or a wrestler- that's very depressing.

The guy only does 2 moves- German Suplex and F5.

Why not just embrace Roman Reigns? It's not like he's John Cena from 2005 with lame moves like the Five Knuckle Shuffle, stupid Orange tshirts and gear, and stupid theme music.
I disagree. I think the Superman punch is incredibly lame and looks weak. I think his "punching the mat" thing is ridiculous and corny. He has absolutely ZERO charisma, he's not that intimidating, and he just seems boring. If I had to compare him to someone it would be Diesel in 1995. He just doesn't have "it."

I dislike John Cena as well, but the dude has a presence and he brought it in the ring every night. Reigns just isn't that guy. I'm not sure why WWE is insistent that he IS the next face of the company. Why try to force it? The fanbase doesn't seem to care for him. Why not see if someone else emerges?

If I had to compare him to someone it would be Diesel in 1995. He just doesn't have "it."
I hope Nash doesn't read that. He'll stand up so fast he'll tear another quad, and be forced to go on Eric Bischoff's podcast so they can congratulate each other on the ancient past over and over again.

As for Brock Lesnar as the Universal champion or a wrestler- that's very depressing.

He can do a lot more than that, when bookers permit him to do so. At least Brock had the courage to do (and even botch) a shooting star press. When Reigns does one, let me know.

I disagree. I think the Superman punch is incredibly lame and looks weak. I think his "punching the mat" thing is ridiculous and corny. He has absolutely ZERO charisma, he's not that intimidating, and he just seems boring. If I had to compare him to someone it would be Diesel in 1995. He just doesn't have "it."

I dislike John Cena as well, but the dude has a presence and he brought it in the ring every night. Reigns just isn't that guy. I'm not sure why WWE is insistent that he IS the next face of the company. Why try to force it? The fanbase doesn't seem to care for him. Why not see if someone else emerges?

No, Kevin nash had it. He's just wasn't booked strongly as champ.
Hbk made him look like a clown at mania, Mabel on a main event ppv? And the injury to his elbow doesn't help.

Big poochie had it... Roman reigns doesn't have it.

Hbk made him look like a clown at mania, Mabel on a main event ppv? And the injury to his elbow doesn't help.
How'd HBK make him look like a clown at Mania? The story HBK told on his DVD that Vince wanted Diesel to go over strong and kick out of Sweet Chin Music at 1 and the crowd booed him. I thought the match itself was fine, though, their match at In Your House over a year later was much, much better.

I have no idea how what happened on RAW has you thinking that we're going to get Strowman vs. Reigns at WrestleMania. I'm convinced it's gonna be Roman vs. Lesnar. What I think is happening is Brock and Heyman are going to come out after every PPV taking about Reigns but before they can get too far they'll be cut off by someone wanting to challenge Brock for the title, assuming Brock works half the PPV's between now and Mania (and that's not even a guarantee) they have more than enough guys who can realistically do that. Then by the time January/February rolls around, their paths will finally collide and they'll start the build for WrestleMania.

This might be me simply reading too much into things but, to me, reading between the lines last night generated a view of what's going to happen with Roman Reigns and some are going to flat out, 100% despise it if it turns out that I'm right. A lot of it also depends on whether or not various reports as to the goings on for WrestleMania next year are accurate.

Last night, Brock Lesnar openly challenged Roman Reigns to a fight on Raw when suddenly out came Braun Strowman. Strowman had a few words for Lesnar before saying something to the effect that Roman Reigns is his first. As a result, it's likely we'll see Reigns vs. Strowman at WrestleMania and that Lesnar vs. Strowman may not actually happen at all, especially if Reigns goes over Strowman.

My guess is that WWE is going to spend the next 364 days or so really, really building up Roman Reigns with him definitively proving that the WWE is now indeed his "yard." Reigns will have various feuds, feuds he'll come out on top of during which we'll see him becoming more and more dominant as time goes by. Brock Lesnar will have his occasional title defenses here and there in which he basically decimates his opponents and will probably, occasionally, have Paul Heyman call out Roman Reigns. Maybe, instead of Reigns coming out, this is how a new challenger for Lesnar's title comes about each time until we hit WrestleMania season next year. During this time, WWE continues with the same tired formula for Lesnar in which he obliterates anyone put in front of him to the point where you feel bad for the guy being made to look like a scrub, Roman Reigns also dominates the roster and it ultimately comes down, one way or another, to Reigns finally stepping after the better part of a year, faces Lesnar for the Universal Championship at WrestleMania, defeats him decisively to win the title and Lesnar finally hangs it up as his contract is said to be up after WrestleMania next year. The result if what Vince wants: Roman Reigns being the young guy to decisively take out Brock Lesnar after having taken out the Undertaker and establishing himself as the true "big dog" in WWE.

Sound depressing? Yeah, I thought so too because if this is indeed the general idea of where Vince wants WWE to go with these guys, then the Raw main event scene is really, really going to suffer over the next year. Lesnar will pop up ever 3 or 4 months to defend his title while massacring every opponent put in front of him while Roman Reigns essentially ascends to the mantle of WWE's Superman by beating guy after guy in a way that leaves little to no doubt that Reigns comes out on top in nearly every single match without some massively overbooked interference. For me, it's extremely boring to see WWE apply the formula to Lesnar and it'll be even worse if WWE decides to go full fledged Super Cena style booking with Roman Reigns.

I'm gonna go with the obvious rematch. Undertaker vs Roman Reigns next Wrestlemania.

I will take solace in the fact that with Lesnar as Champion, and most likely will be until Mania 34, and only being part time that makes Kevin Owens the current defacto RAW heavyweight champion as he's the US Champion.

I have no idea how what happened on RAW has you thinking that we're going to get Strowman vs. Reigns at WrestleMania. I'm convinced it's gonna be Roman vs. Lesnar. What I think is happening is Brock and Heyman are going to come out after every PPV taking about Reigns but before they can get too far they'll be cut off by someone wanting to challenge Brock for the title, assuming Brock works half the PPV's between now and Mania (and that's not even a guarantee) they have more than enough guys who can realistically do that. Then by the time January/February rolls around, their paths will finally collide and they'll start the build for WrestleMania.

That was my screw up. I meant to type in Payback rather than WrestleMania. I guess I got distracted but yeah, the plan, based on what's been reported thus far, is for Lesnar vs. Reigns at WrestleMania 34.

Roman Reigns isn't remotely as good a pro wrestler as John Cena is and Cena's shown that time and again. When it comes to personality, presence, charisma and overall in-ring ability, Reigns is a poor man's John Cena. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Cena is a technical whiz or anything remotely approaching those lines as it'd be laughable to suggest that he is, but Cena knows how to play to a crowd, he knows how to tell a story between the ropes and can deliver on the mic each and every time. I'm also not saying that Reigns doesn't have talent, but there are a lot of guys on the roster who're just simply much better than Roman Reigns is in just about every respect except for the look. The look is what's had Vince drooling over Reigns for the past few years and Vince pushing Reigns ahead of men who're just flat out better is one of the reasons many fans boo him. In many respects from a character perspective, the guy flat out bores me.

Reigns is someone who should be a top star in the company, but THE bottom line, single biggest star in the company? I simply do not see it and haven't seen anything out of Reigns since the break up of the Shield to convince me otherwise.

He can do a lot more than that, when bookers permit him to do so. At least Brock had the courage to do (and even botch) a shooting star press. When Reigns does one, let me know.

If what Dean Ambrose said is correct, then the bookers have nothing to do with what Brock's permitted or not permitted to do. Lesnar has a ton of creative control involving himself and Ambrose came right out on Austin's podcast and called the guy lazy and he's not the first to make the claim since Lesnar's return. According to Ambrose, he wanted to make their match at WrestleMania last year something special, but Lesnar would hardly agree to do anything.

It's one of the things that personally infuriates me about Brock Lesnar and makes me want him gone as soon as possible as a fan. The guy used to be flat out great inside the ring, the guy was an athletic dynamo who could do so much but now all he wants to do is the German Suplex and the F5 and make more money than 99% of the roster for doing it. From the perspective of the business, however, I guess that it works because it got a great response at WrestleMania; I do not understand remotely why as Lesnar seems like exactly the type of guy smarky crowds would shit all over, but not for Lesnar.

If what Dean Ambrose said is correct, then the bookers have nothing to do with what Brock's permitted or not permitted to do. Lesnar has a ton of creative control involving himself and Ambrose came right out on Austin's podcast and called the guy lazy and he's not the first to make the claim since Lesnar's return. According to Ambrose, he wanted to make their match at WrestleMania last year something special, but Lesnar would hardly agree to do anything.
That's the crunch though - if what Dean Ambrose said is correct. Dean Ambrose is perfectly capable of following the kayfabe line to a T and making it credible. I highly doubt that Dean Ambrose went on Austin's podcast to badmouth Brock without everyone up to and including Vince approving the message.

They wouldnt be stupid to keep title on him whole year. He would maybe defend it every other PPV and then lost it at Summerslam. Maybe to Reigns, maybe to Balor, but he would lost it sooner then next year Wrestlemania.

More intrigued what they are doing with Strowman. After he lost clean from Reigns and had really unimpressive show at Mania one cant help to wonder if they slow build him or they lost faith in him for some reason so they are giving him "Ryback treatment".

Sadly, I think you're right. The slow build begins. And I say sadly not because I dislike Roman Reigns. I actually quite like him, and I liked how WrestleMania went down. What I cannot stand is the booking. I like it when he's being the asshole and knows it, but he refuses to break into that rage that would make him a fully fledged heel I guess.

As for the Lesnar match, there's no reason in today's WWE that it couldn't possibly happen. I just don't get why it has to. I do see the appeal, but simultaneously, I was one of the few who saw the appeal at WrestleMania 31, and while that turned out great, this is different now. The heat is strong and it's going to be strong for a while now.

You're right about the main event scene on Raw too. That's going to suffer the most because of Brock Lesnar and nothing more. And Raw cannot afford that. They have so much potential with Reigns, Rollins, Bálor, Owens, Joe and other guys I'm sure I'm forgetting, but to keep the strap on Lesnar for the whole year and probably 3-4 defences before Reigns at WrestleMania 34 would be so, so bad.

Again, this is all a matter of booking. At least for me it is. I like Reigns. I also love Styles and Zayn and Rollins and Bálor and all those guys too. But what they are doing with Reigns is simultaneously genius and fucking terrible. Until it is clear that this IS the plan for WrestleMania 34, I'll stick to genius. But you know what I'll think if it's the Mania plan.

On a side note with Braun Strowman, I just don't get it. Why the hell would anyone believe that a guy who was eliminated before the half-way mark in a nothing battle royal (suffering his second loss by the way) could defeat Brock Lesnar? The thing is, I could see it, but the booking in the world of story telling tells me that it would be impossible. Mojo Rawley has a better chance. Jesus, Jinder Mahal has a better chance. And if it is Reigns and Strowman at Payback, the only word to say to that is 'why'.

Sadly I think JH is right as well. Vince seems committed to putting all his eggs into one basket again, not having learned from what happened to Cena. Not saying Cena is a bad wrestler, he's actually quite talented both in the ring and on the mic, but making him the be all end all didn't do them any favours.

So I guess we'll see Brock carry the title for awhile, at least for the forseeable furture. He with demolish every opponent who dares challenge him until he finally meets his demise at the hands of Roman Reigns. It's projected to happen at Mania 34.

Don't see what this will do for a roster full of talented guys who will be made too look like smucks in the process. Even after dropping the title to Reigns, they will continue to look like smucks, as who will take it from him. If they couldn't bet Lesnar then there is no way they will beat Reigns. So what is basically going to happen is everyone else is fighting for second place, first place has already been awarded.

This is only going to make those that dislike Reigns dislike him even more, and eventually some of the fans that do like him will get tired of the predictability of his booking. Until someone better looking and has a better build comes along we are stuck with it. Vince said very few even try to grab the elusive brass ring. That might be true, but why even bother anymore when it's pretty obvious it's being reserved for one person.

If Reigns goes down with another injury, gets his second Wellness violation or God forbid the Samoan gene kicks in and he starts looking like his brother, then we might see some movement. Until then the future is pretty much set in stone.

Roman Reigns needs to be THE GUY. I'm not saying he should be or will be what John Cena was for nearly a decade. Because I loathed John Cena the person, the wrestler, the performer, and the character(the Never give up, overcome the odds BS he would utter, even in 2011 with Punk).

Roman Reigns can be the THE GUY but not the way the WWE envisions a Superstar as being the guy. If WWE still thinks Roman Reigns can be The Guy then it can't be as a superhero babyface. I am sorry when I see Reigns I see a douchebag and, as one podcast said it as I paraphrase, "people try to psycho-analyse why the crowd rejects Reigns but there's a simple answer to that people just hate his face" the smug, arrogant, smirk he has really puts people off.

That said Roman Reigns is not going to be universally loved he is going to be hated by the majority of hardcore fans. What WWE can do for Reigns is just to keep him real. No more pretending the crowd loves him, no more muting out the boos, editing videos to make it seem fans are behind him, no more segments where JBL bashes the fans in The Network, and no more BS booking to try and get the crowd behind him.

Face it people hate Reigns but who says he can't be the guy while projecting himself as an arrogant jerk that people hate. I mean in the former he already presents himself like that in interviews. So why not roll with it. He can could even draw if the WWE embraces the fans hatred for Reigns.

I mean look at Floyd Mayweather, Tom Brady, and Lebron James they are superstars and face of their respective sports. They are guys that draw and most people hate them.

The opening on RAW when the crowd ripped on Reigns. If I was booking for the show I would have told Roman Reigns not to say anything let the crowd have their outbursts for 15 mins and then Reigns give the crowd the finger and walk away.

Instant Nuclear Heat and should Reigns win the title, the draw would be if anyone can take the title from Reigns.

In short Reigns can be the guy, but not as a baby face but as a person people despise and WWE has to embrace and run with it.

I think that had more to do with Lesnar knowing he was going back to UFC. There was no way he would have risked getting injured by doing something crazy, which we know he's certainly capable of doing.

I don't mind it. Reigns vs Lesnar I was great, why can't Reigns vs Lesnar II be better? However they HAVE to be careful with this one.

For starters, Brock shouldn't keep the title for one full year. Brock Lesnar is always a spectacle to watch holding a title belt, but knowing when and where and from who his title reign will end, will only make the rest of RAW look inferior to Lesnar and Reigns. Lesnar will keep winning his title defenses, Reigns will keep winning his feuds and the whole deal will end up being boring and predictable and when the time comes fans will shit all over this.

So you need to keep this unpredictable for the next one year and not make it bland. As to how Lesnar loses the belt, well MITB's coming. Or you could have someone cost him the match. There are a lot of ways you can take Lesnar out of the picture before Wrestlemania only to have him come back and win just before Wrestlemania, when the time is right.

I'd like to see Lesnar vs Strowman, Joe, Owens, Bray Wyatt and Kurt Angle please, in PPV matches.

Should move Reigns to Smackdown as no one wants Reigns vs. Lesnar again!!!

Next Year's Mania

John Cena vs. Roman Reigns (WWE Title)
Brock Lesnar vs. AJ Styles (Universal Title)
The Rock vs. HHH (Icon vs. Icon)
Charlotte vs. Rhonda Rousey

I've no issues with it.

If anything, it's the RIGHT move.

I like Reigns' matches too, unlike John Cena's. I just never liked the way John wrestled, his core moveset.

That being said, The WWE will also push Seth Rollins and Finn Balor and AJ Styles now and then , similar to how Kurt Angle was pushed.

But Roman Reigns, regardless of what the IWC or people in general consider him to be in terms of Skills- whether on the Mic, charisma, or wrestling skills- Roman Reigns is simply the best choice, the only choice Vince and the WWE have, after a decade of John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton, as their newest "Big Guy" or "The Guy".

And if it means he'll beat Brock at WM or whenever, I'm all for it.

I think more and more people should begin to like Roman Reigns.

The guy is tall, has a presence, is as Agile as the Undertaker with his fluid superman punches, Driveby, and over-the-top-rope leap, has good moves , and is simply put , a Star.

I'm an AJ Styles fan, I was a huge Kurt Angle fan, but in Wrestling, you need a Kurt Angle, you need a Shawn Michaels, and you need a Undertaker/Brock Lesnar/Hogan/Scott Hall, basically a big guy with presence, who can also put on good matches.

Seth Rollins is the new Shawn Michaels, Finn Balor is the Eddie Guerrero, and Roman Reigns is the new Undertaker minus the Deadman Gimmick and Darkness stuff.

Cena has had some excellent matches and excellent feuds when given someone who is good at their craft. Cena vs Rusev was blah. But Cena vs Styles was epic. I'm not a Cena fan by any stretch, but I honestly can't remember the last bad match he had. Even at Wrestlemania he let the Miz get in ALL the offense until literally the final move of the match.

Reigns has no charisma. Part of it is his booking. They are doing with him what they did with Cena. Trying to shove him in our faces as a good guy. Reigns NEEDS a heel turn. He needs to be gloating about how he retired The Undertaker. He needs to be an arrogant douchebag guy who beats people cleanly. That will make fans clamor for him to turn face and then he can be THE guy.

"23-2" says that the Brock vs Roman match will definitely happen. Given that their first match where Roman was way crap in the ring compared to now got wide spread plaudits from many who watched it, I am at a loss as to why people would complain about part 2 happening at some point especially now given that storyline logic definitely calls for it to happen.

Now, why anyone, immediately after Mania 33 would sit and worry about said logical match happening at some point in the future is beyond me. Yes, Vince and Co. want Reigns as the Top Guy and 3 Main Events at Mania in a row(the third after failing a drugs test) kind of confirms that they are hell bent on continuing for reasons known to them, regardless of boos or cheers.

Let us all just sit back and see how things play out before writing things off, shall we?

It's nothing unexpected. We all know that Brock Lesnar is the beast who will be slayed by Roman Reigns. The question isn't about if he will or not. The question is about when it'll happen.

After conquering the beast, one person left to defeat for Reigns would be Cena which he'll get also.

People saying that Roman Reigns is The Undertaker without darkness stuff or John Cena are just overrating Roman Reigns. You can't build another Cena. Just like you can't build another Undertaker. Or any other legend. You've to make someone as an unique entity. You can't build another Austin or Hogan either.

Roman Reigns is good but comparing him to Cena is like comparing apples to oranges. Nowhere near Cena.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back