• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

...And Another One Bites The Dust

justinsayne

Cody Rhodes is an excellant
Former Weezer bassists Mikey Welsh was found dead today in a Chicago Hotel room

Mikey Welsh, the former bassist for Weezer, has died. He was 40 years old.

mikey-welsh-rip-a-l.jpg

The news came via an October 8 message posted by his family on Twitter and Facebook, which read, “We are deeply saddened to announce that Mikey Welsh passed away unexpectedly today. He will forever be remembered as an amazing father, artist, and friend. May he rest in peace.”

Welsh joined Weezer following original bassist Matt Sharp’s exit in 1998. He played on the band’s 2001 album, known colloquially as “The Green Album,” and can be heard on such hits as “Island in the Sun” and “Hash Pipe.” That same year, the Boston-based musician, who was also a touring bassist for Juliana Hatfield, suffered a mental breakdown and later attempted suicide.

“Basically, a lifetime of doing drugs and being undiagnosed as having disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and borderline personality disorder finally caught up with me when I was 30 years old,” Welsh said in a 2007 interview. “At the beginning of a 3-month European tour with Weezer, I started slowly falling apart.”

Welsh then dedicated himself to his love of another art, painting. He lived in Burlington, Vermont, where he worked on large-scale figures and abstracts.

The cause of death has yet to be determined.

Weezer reacted to news of his passing on the band's official Twitter, writing, "We are shocked and deeply saddened to hear the awful news, our friend and fellow weez rocker @mikeywelsh71 has passed away. We love u Mikey."

Welsh published a series of cryptic tweets in the weeks leading up to his death. He wrote on Sept. 26: “dreamt i died in chicago next weekend (heart attack in my sleep). need to write my will today.” On Oct. 4, Welsh wrote that he arrived in Chicago. In a curious coincidence, web site Kick Axe Music points out that Weezer is scheduled to headline the city’s Riot Fest on Sunday.

Man, the deaths just seem to keep racking up lately. I was never really much of a Weezer fan, but this sucks, he'll be missed by all his fans, friends, & family.

Weezer had put out some good tunes in the times when I used to listen to them. They are pretty good, and he will be missed by a lot of fans around the world. This is shocking as they're dropping like flies nowadays. Damn, the cool thing is not to DIE!

I hope his death isn't from drugs which it might be along with heart disease which is becoming a nasty sneaker killer amongst us humans. It's a shame as it is also sad to hear.

R.I.P

Sheesh, never really was a fan of Weezer (only listened to My Name Is Jonas) but this sucks. RIP

I'm a big fan of their first 2 albums (w/ Matt Sharp playing bass/backing vocals). Shame about Mikey, seemed like a fun dude. Heard he might of had issues though considering a nervous breakdown lead to him quit the band.

ripem.jpeg

That guys name (the character, not the man obviously).
for people who don't know anything about bad 80's movies starring Hulk Hogan, he played a character RIP in No Holds Barred.

I'm a big fan of their first 2 albums (w/ Matt Sharp playing bass/backing vocals). Shame about Mikey, seemed like a fun dude. Heard he might of had issues though considering a nervous breakdown lead to him quit the band.

This pretty much. Sad news, but he hadn't been their bassist for years and didn't really contribute to their best work (their first two albums).

I was just talking today about how Weezer has become so bad now and that I missed old Weezer of the Blue Album and Pinkerton days. Shit even Maladroit had some good songs on it, but they're just not the same band anymore now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back