• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

An MVP heel turn is unnecessary.

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, that's right. I see people all the time talk about how bland MVP as a face is, and how he needs to turn heel immediately. Well, I disagree. I think MVP could be a great face, maybe an even better face than heel. There is only one thing that needs to be done:

He needs to show an "edge".

Seems simple, right? The thing is, MVP doesn't work well as a squeaky clean face. He needs to be the guy that gets all up into the heels' faces and shouts them down. Remember back when he interrupted Orton on RAW? How about last week on Smackdown where he interrupted CM Punk? Both of those times he showed some edge and the crowd ate it up with a spoon.

It worked then. Why wouldn't it work now?

MVP doesn't need to turn heel. He just needs a change from the flat and boring faces of WWE today. He needs to be the type to shut the heels up through talking and his work in the ring. Let Cena and others be the perfect good guys. Let Orton be the tweener. And let MVP be the reformed ex-con who is not afraid to get down and dirty with the heels.

It would be great.

I think MVP could work if he continues to have the in your face style that he's been showing whenever he debuts on a show (Smackdown last week, RAW last year) if he doesn't have that, he slowly starts turning into the "bland character" that you mentioned yourself.

And I agree, it could work, but only if they capitalize on the interruptions and proper in your face style on a regular basic, not just something for a way to show case that "MVP has arrived, he'll be our new guy lost in the shuffle, but let's just make him interesting for one night"

So I completely agree, he needs to be more in the direction of the "loud mouth" face, not loud mouth as in yapping cocky, but telling it like it is, and shutting the heels up with an impact.

False. The reason it worked those times was because he was new to the brand and somewhat fresh. Everyone thinks that he's interesting and it could lead somewhere since this is a new place for him. But, that's where they're wrong. The whole thing with MVP having a high level of suck really ruins everything.

Have you seen an MVP match before? For the most part, they're abominations. Really, really bad. Him telling people to "shut up", which is the only thing he has been able to come up with for awhile, isn't really cutting it. I'm not sure edge is enough to fix that.

At least as a heel he can be serviceable and put some people over. Some people will actually care about him. Maybe. If he doesn't turn soon, he'll be gone within a year.

I agree with this. MVP is on Smackdown and they can give him a great character. He was over during his face run on smackdown before he was drafted to raw. If it could work anywhere i think it would be Smackdown.

From what I've seen MVP sucked ass as a face. It was just horrible having to watch my second favorite superstar at the time be tossed away on Raw name one important thing he did that caused his valure to got up because he was a face?.
Yeah thats about it but MVP as a heel.

1. Went into a great program with Kane to star off and took a big bump with the Inferno match.

2. MVP had Chris Benoits last fued and it was the fued that truly got me to adore MVP's character.

3. Great Fued with the formerally fit Matt Hardy including winning the tag titles.

4. Birth of a great tag team known as Miz and Morrison which later caused the Dirt Sheet the only WWE.com exclusive that was good.

5. Longest U.S title reign of the WWE Era version of the title.

And then everything went south when they tried to make him face so no I do not want MVP to stay face cause he plain as hell sucks at it. Plus MVP's entire gimmick is bilt on being a celebrety style superstar

So, tell me, you're saying that MVP sucks as a face because he never did anything as one? Creative never gave him anything after he interrupted Orton, so you can hardly blame MVP for that. When he interrupted Orton the crowd loved him. He gave a great promo and the crowd was solidly behind him during the match. The same thing happened when he interrupted Punk. What creative needs to do is to continue pushing MVP with that character. It works.

It's not MVP's fault he's done nothing as a face. When creative doesn't let you do anything, of course you're not going to remain over.

I think MVP as a face could work but MVP as a heel works alot better. Smackdown has an over populated face market at the moment and MVP as a heel would be somewhat perfect timing to get him into the main event scene which is why he was moved back to smackdown in the first place.

If they could can that bombastic energy that MVP brings in promos like the ones you've cited Doc, MVP would already be a bigger star than he is. I'd love him to continue that energy, but either he can't deliver it, or Creative isn't able to capture it. I agree with you that Creative has the tools before them to utilize MVP in this way. But I also think that perhaps a good heel run can reinvigorate the character.

A guy needs more than a good reception to remain over. Lots of guys with no future, creatively, get decent to damn fine pops from the crowd, both upon entrance and as a result of a promo or segment. MVP has shown he can deliver on these kind of moments, but he has trouble getting any traction towards superstar recognition. I'm inclined to believe that this is a result of a stale gimmick that has run out of ideas and hasn't grown enough to allow MVP to be more himself than anything.

When I say that MVP would benefit from a heel run, it is because it would refocus what the gimmick of MVP is all about. Wasn't he a Terrell Owens type when he debuted? Why not mirror real life a bit? Why not recognize that like Owens, MVP has had a troubled career since debuting, and let him start to act more heelish as a result. I know that they love to go back to his crime record, but to be honest that didn't work with Booker T, and it sure as fuck really isn't going to work now. Let him get mad about his spot in the way of things right now. Let him get mad at people he thinks have held him down. Give him some good acidic promo time and then let them loose in the ring.

Also, a new finisher wouldn't hurt. Anything that reminds me of Billy Gunn is fail.

The truth is that MVP as a face hasn't gotten enough in the way of story, at least in a lasting sense. I think what some people are forgetting is that MVP can make the "loud mouth" face thing work and has been given a chance to do so in short bursts with people like Swagger and The Miz. However, what does creative do? They kill these story lines before they actually have a chance to go anywhere. With that sort of attitude, as good as MVP is, what chance does he have? They don't even allow him to get anywhere teaming with Mark Henry.

What I do like about MVP as a face is that he's allowed to be as innovative as he's able in terms of his move set. As a heel, they limited him to a lot of (what he referred to in a wrestlecast interview as) "meat-chopping". The typical heel brutality that sets up the amazing comeback moves that the faces are known for to pull out surprise victories. Now MVP is allowed to pull some creative and interesting moves of his own.

The real problem is that MVP needs a lasting feud against a known heel. There are plenty of up and comers to do it with. Since he's on Smackdown, my suggestion would be Dolph Ziggler. The two of them could put on a great series of matches and if creative were to put time and effort into a good personal feud, that could be what both of them need.

lets be honest, most people work well as heel....mvp was a good heel, but him turning now wouldn't be good, he's quite a hit with the kids and back on smackdown, which is where he had his success as a heel...but im getting used to him being face, with his taunts etc..he gets the crown going..

well with mvp on smackdown hes bound to get some good success because his good ole buddy and biggest supporter michael hayes is still there.....he needs to turn him heel or either give him an edge like you said....i also hate the ballin aspect of his character....maybe if they turned him like Orton where he doesnt care about anyone else would work because its almost unbelievable what he is now compared to when he started...he didnt give a damn about anyone and he WAS BETTER THAN YOU....he should start sayin that again...i think mvp is more of a tweener that has yet to realized

It is unnecessary because a there's no real reason to spend any time on him outside of filler Superstars match. The crowd has proven they don't care about him. He'll get a small push, the crowd eats him up for a week or two, then everyone realizes he's just not that good. I'd much rather see people who generate a reaction used, or up and comers. Blame his gimmick and creative all you want, but he's been pushed numerous times, and it always ends up the same way. He's corny and he's over-exaggerated in the ring.

Look, the guy is going to turn 37 later this year. He's not going to end up fulfilling what the IWC proclaimed, he's not World Championship material, so let's get over it.

wow Twist....Twister lol...anyways MVP is a competent worker....hes better than most on the mic....he gets great reactions from the crowd because I have seen him live...every single fn person was sayin ballin so....

50/50 for sure.
he is a great face, yet he is a great heel. i watched him interrupt CM Punk and yea it was kinda cool, but he needs to do this more often, your right about that. i really started to hate him teaming up with Mark Henry that was just boring in the end. I like what he is doing on smackdown on the moment, yet he has always been good on the blue brand right? anyway if he keeps this up there is no need for him th switch back heel. but if not heel again is for the best.:banghead:

I'm split on this; I do think that MVP works much better as a heel. Then again, I don't think this is the right time to turn him back. It looks as if they're going to set up a MVP/Punk feud after Punk and Rey are done feuding. So they still have a potentially good program for him to with the SES for a while.

Even when that's done, there are a couple mid card heels he could with with. He is a bigger name with a history. A feud with someone like him could do good for a guy like Ziggler or McIntyre. Hell, it would even do good for MVP to be in a meaningful feud. He needs to start building up his credibility if they ever want him to mean anything. The best way to do that is to work as one of the top faces in the upper mid card.

The only time I think they should turn MVP heel is if they want to give him the WHC. He works so much better as a heel, and honestly I think he would be a very lackluster world champion as a face. He doesn't bring enough energy as a face to pull; it off, but he got some of the best heat on the show as a heel many years ago. Not to mention they have the next face champion on Smackdown already picked out in Christian. I can almost guarantee that.

The only way that MVP should be turned heel is if they're going to give him a trial run with the WHC. They could use another top heel more than a top face honestly. They still have Taker, Rey and Christian along with up an comers like Kofi to play as the top faces. They need mid card faces right now so honestly that's where he belongs for right now.

Whether or not I believe he is good enough to be a world champion...that's a rant for another time.

I agree with you to an extent Doc, in that MVP could pull of the edgy, cocky face and therefore a heel turn isn't absolutely necessary. However, I do think a heel turn would work best for MVP and Smackdown.

If creative were prepared to put some effort into his face character, MVP could work as a face. I was one of many people who was impressed with his RAW debut, and then left dissapointed by months of pointless teaming with Mark Henry. The SD move has helped freshen his character up a bit with his teaming with Rey, and a possible feud with Punk could be good.

However, the truth of the matter is that he is so much better as heel. It's not just that his MVP character is better suited to a heel, but his in ring style is better suited for a heel in my opinion. I also think the heel turn could benefit Smackdown because there would be potential feuds with Kane, Rey Rey, Christian and Kofi. There's also a possibility that he could feud again with Matt Hardy, as I thought their great feud in 2007 ended rather abruptly at Baclash 2008 when Hardy returned. I think there is definately room for a midcard heel on Smackdown, especially now McIntyre has been "fired".

So, a MVP heel turn isn't necessary, but I would still very much encourage one.

Doc is absolutely right on this one. MVP is totally great as that cocky in your face erm...face. There's absolutely no reason to change that, especially with the desolate landscape on SD! right now. Big show just won't last as the main face of the brand, and I think another Undertaker reign would likely make me watch smackdown even less than i do now. MVP is fresh and with a little bit of the swagger he used to have, he could not only be the perfect top face on smackdown, it could catapult him to being the top face of the company.

I think a character like this from MVP would fantastic, not only would it express him more, but it would really sharpen up his mic skills, and then MVP would be able to explore other possible gimmicks.

MVP would work just GREAT as a face if WWE were to go a little less 'PG'. Let MVP be his badass self - the crowd will almost certainly be up for it. 10 years ago, MVP would have been able to take it to the next level as WWE was an adult product. His character is kind of restrained now, because WWE is PG up the ass.

I like MVP. In all honesty, it should have been him feuding with Randy Orton last year, rather than Kofi.

I like MVP, but I liked him more as a heel. He actually did things, that stuck. Not just something for a week or two, then forgotten. Its not his fault, its just bad creativeness. But when your just the mid-card guy, moving to RAW from Smackdown...what do you expect? RAW has to cater to HHH, John Cena, Randy Orton, up until Mania HBK...the list goes on. I am not being disrespectfull to those guys, they are RAWs top guys. But when you got to focus on them for most the show, those under get lost. Prime example Mark Henry.

When Mark came to RAW from ECW last year, remember how he came out? He just busted Ortons ass!!! That could have been the start of something DAMN good. But since Mark was not thought of to be on the higher end of the totum pole of RAW it didnt happen. And you just saw him dwindle almost nothingness. It is really sad.

So, if they turn MVP heel great. At least we know that he can perform well in that role. If they keep him face, give him room to breathe, and let it flow. If that doesn't work, why not re-do the character? We all know that "MVP" has had a "colorful" past. Re-vamp the character, with a thug mentality. Not the kind that is annoying, but the kind that will put ANYONE in check, heel, tweener, or face. Something like a Stone Cold option.

Mvp shouldnt turn heel. He gets some pretty good reactions from the crowd, and to turn him heel imo would be a waste of time because he would end up in some pointless fued and no one giving a crap about him, like the last time he was heel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back