An Idea For Bobby Roode...

wrestlingfanusa

Occasional Pre-Show
So as we all know bobby roode has been climbing up the card slowly and will now face kurt angle at bound for glory. We also know that he is going to be the next world champion. My idea for him would to be when tna does it supershow like they did against the superstars from japan would be him to defend the world title on impact against them. I forget wat they called it, i think it was called global impact. So the idea would be he would defend it on a edition of global impact (which is only done once a year) against one of there stars. It would make him a more legit world champion, kinda like when kurt angle defeated brock lesnar for the iwgp world title. So would that do bobby roode good in making his world title run seem more legit than its gonna be? Bc back in the 70's i remember antonio inoki had a match against muhammed ali it was some kinda interpromotional match and made him seem more legit. So wat u think?

I think Bobby Roode needs to first win the title, see how he goes in his own backyard holding the belt and doubling as the companies figurehead before having him be the face of the company on the other side of the world. Bobby Roode is impressive and I feel will become a great heel champion down the track, but at present he is a face and will not get booked to have a solid sucessful title reign. TNA always balls these things up. Roode needs to win, then build himself up as a legitimate main event champion, clean television victories over guys like Crimson(undefeated), RVD, Jeff Hardy, Ken Anderson will show TNA are serious with going al the way with Roode. Throiwning him to the wolves against guys from Japan whop work such a different style is asking for Roode to be buried immediately. Bad idea

Great idea. Except no one in the U.S. gave a shit when Kurt won the IWGP 3rd belt and no one in the U.S. gives a shit that Double J is the AAA Champion. Plus I really don't see how defending your belt against a foreigner no one in the area knows about is supposed to make you look "legit" as opposed to Kurt Freakin' Angle or anyone else in TNA's repertoire of veterans which the American's TNA aims their viewership toward's have know for ages.

Well i meant that hes gonna have a long reign as champion so at the 4 to 6 month mark i think he should defend it on global impact. That way he can say he's a real world champ and he will defend it against anyone even a new japan pro wrestler.

i think bobby roode shouldnt win the belt clean i think him and kurt should a have a damn good match then storm does a beer bottle smash over kurts head when a ref is distracted kinda deal. this protects kurt and then kurt and storm can feud leaving roode open to have matches with other guys...i would prefer to watch storm vs kurt promos, storms deal for helping rood win would be u know u cant beat kurt one on one which creates more of a interesting storyline.

Roode has to wi with an assist, thus leaving months of was or i wasnt i good enough to do it myself. Storm would make a super heel and could play off this great, getting him over in the main event roster as well

i think bobby roode shouldnt win the belt clean i think him and kurt should a have a damn good match then storm does a beer bottle smash over kurts head when a ref is distracted kinda deal. this protects kurt and then kurt and storm can feud leaving roode open to have matches with other guys...i would prefer to watch storm vs kurt promos, storms deal for helping rood win would be u know u cant beat kurt one on one which creates more of a interesting storyline.

I'm sorry...what?!? No. The whole point of this (pardon the pun) angle with Kurt, Roode & the BFG Series has been to build up Bobby Roode as a main-event player - how does getting a cheap win through interference help that?

More importantly..."this protects kurt" - FROM WHAT? He's KURT FUCKING ANGLE, man!! He can put Bobby over 6 times on Sunday, and it won't change a damn thing - he's still one of the top 3 greatest in-ring performers of his generation, and probably top-10 all time. Doing what every other older veteran SHOULD be doing - laying down for younger talent so everybody makes more money - isn't going to hurt him at this point in his career.

Nobody sitting at home is going to be thinking "well, I used to think he was a great wrestler, but then he lost clean to Bobby Roode, and now I'm not so sure..."

Just...just...smh, dude. That's all I can say.

So as we all know bobby roode has been climbing up the card slowly and will now face kurt angle at bound for glory. We also know that he is going to be the next world champion.

Some day, but maybe not after BFG. It's highly likely that all this build-up is to make it even more tragic when he doesn't win the title, likely from some Immortal shenanigans or maybe even a Storm heel turn. Roode's time is coming, but nothing his certain.

So would that do bobby roode good in making his world title run seem more legit than its gonna be?

No. Mainstream fans won't give a shit. In fact, they're likely to be turned off by some unknown entity taking up TV time. Roode's legitimacy will come from what he does within the context of Impact/TNA, same as happened for Hogan, Austin, Sting, and any other legend you can think. The exhibitions in Japan are cake icing.

Bc back in the 70's i remember antonio inoki had a match against muhammed ali it was some kinda interpromotional match and made him seem more legit.

How is that relevant? You're talking about a crossover match between a wrestler and a boxer from an era when people still believed in Santa Claus. This was a time when Jerry Lawler could slap Andy Kaufman on TV and people thought it was real, or "Rocky vs Thunderlips" didn't seem like a stupid idea for a movie.

Some day, but maybe not after BFG. It's highly likely that all this build-up is to make it even more tragic when he doesn't win the title, likely from some Immortal shenanigans or maybe even a Storm heel turn. Roode's time is coming, but nothing his certain.

No, nothing is certain. That's a wonderfully vague statement that I've seen time and time again. In this case though, going in any direction other than a clean Bobby Roode win would be incredibly assinine on TNA's part. You even say it, it would be tragic for him not to win. I know you mean it like "storyline tragic" and somehow are justifying it in your mind early as being ok, but it's not. You don't do a tournament like that, have fans talk about keeping it around for next year, and then have the guy who won lose after all of those battles.

To go a step further, if you really, really want Storm to turn on Roode (which I don't by the way, not even a little bit), then you do it later on. You could go the Edge/Christian route with it as far as Storm being his buddy but eventually letting jealousy get the best of him. I personally don't need to see that but if it will pacify some fans to see Storm get one undeserved shot at the top due to his former, more talented partner holding the strap, then so be it.

The bottom line is that Storm needs to stay away from the main event and so does Immortal. I fear it won't happen and that the big win will be tainted as a result. If I had to guess on how the booking will go down, I'd say some idiot from Immortal tries to help Kurt (because you know, Kurt freakin Angle needs help winning matches), Storm will chase that person off, Roode will quickly pick up the scraps and win, Storm will celebrate, confetti, the whole deal. If it goes the other way and Angle wins by any means, you have just nullified the BFG series, you have nullified Roode's push, and you've nullified the idea that anyone who has worked hard in TNA from the beginning will ever truly get a chance. Here's hoping TNA doesn't do something stupid just to be "unpredictable".

No. Mainstream fans won't give a shit. In fact, they're likely to be turned off by some unknown entity taking up TV time. Roode's legitimacy will come from what he does within the context of Impact/TNA, same as happened for Hogan, Austin, Sting, and any other legend you can think. The exhibitions in Japan are cake icing.

While I don't necessarily agree that the exhibition stuff is the way to go with Roode, the fact that you call him "some unknown entity" just proves what is wrong with this fanbase. In 3 days, this guy should be the champion of the company, the guy on top. If he is, then you market the shit out of him. He needs to become an entity to the mainstream, telling his story and selling the TNA brand while walking around with that title on his shoulder. Hell, he should be promoting the match already but I haven't seen that. This is the problem and it will continue to be a problem. As long as you have guys like Bischoff around to tell you that "if you aren't a star already, you'll never be a star", you won't create new ones. Roode NEEDS to become a star. That is what this push is about. Put him on talk shows, put him in commercials, get him guest starring roles on Spike. Put his face anywhere you can put it and sell this guy as a champion. The only way people are going to get behind Impact Wrestling is if they find someone to relate to. They aren't going to get behind it when they see that their champions claim to fame these days is his mugshot on TMZ. Roode is someone you can market, SO MARKET HIM! That said, doing so the way it was done many moons ago probably won't work. Find ways that today's people will appreciate.

How is that relevant? You're talking about a crossover match between a wrestler and a boxer from an era when people still believed in Santa Claus. This was a time when Jerry Lawler could slap Andy Kaufman on TV and people thought it was real, or "Rocky vs Thunderlips" didn't seem like a stupid idea for a movie.

To be fair, Rocky vs. Thunderlips wasn't a stupid idea for a movie. No Holds Barred was a stupid idea for a movie. But you're right. Roode needs to be marketed 2011 style, not 1985 style. Of course, that means he needs to be marketed in general. I sincerely hope that Sunday brings a major change of course for TNA. Roode wins, Hogan loses, Roode starts taking on the responsibilities a champion should take on as far as going out and promoting the company. When you wear the strap, you represent your entire company as its top man. I hope to see Roode become the first guy in TNA history to actually do that.

No, nothing is certain. That's a wonderfully vague statement that I've seen time and time again. In this case though, going in any direction other than a clean Bobby Roode win would be incredibly assinine on TNA's part. You even say it, it would be tragic for him not to win. I know you mean it like "storyline tragic" and somehow are justifying it in your mind early as being ok, but it's not. You don't do a tournament like that, have fans talk about keeping it around for next year, and then have the guy who won lose after all of those battles.

You make it sound like I was rooting for Roode to lose. I want him to win and would love it to be clean. I totall agree it would be a mistake. But we're talking about what we think WILL happen, not what should happen. And knowing this company and the decisions they've made for years, shouldn't we expect them to go for predictable unpredictability?

... If it goes the other way and Angle wins by any means, you have just nullified the BFG series, you have nullified Roode's push, and you've nullified the idea that anyone who has worked hard in TNA from the beginning will ever truly get a chance. Here's hoping TNA doesn't do something stupid just to be "unpredictable".

Just a comparative question; how many times has the Royal Rumble winner won their title match at Wrestlemania? I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure it's happened on many occasions.

Even if Roode loses Sunday, has the BFG Series and his push toward this match increased his status in the company? Could he easily lose this match and remain a Main Event player challenging for the title? Yes and yes, so why would it be so terrible? If the way he loses is executed well and sets up a good story, then that's what matters.

While I don't necessarily agree that the exhibition stuff is the way to go with Roode, the fact that you call him "some unknown entity" just proves what is wrong with this fanbase. In 3 days, this guy should be the champion of the company, the guy on top. If he is, then you market the shit out of him.

You totally misunderstood. I was referring to whoever Roode's opponent from Japan would be as the "unknown entity." I certainly want Roode and any other champion to be a focal point.

You make it sound like I was rooting for Roode to lose. I want him to win and would love it to be clean. I totall agree it would be a mistake. But we're talking about what we think WILL happen, not what should happen. And knowing this company and the decisions they've made for years, shouldn't we expect them to go for predictable unpredictability?

You're right. At this point, we probably should expect the wrong thing to happen. That said, I'm hoping that for once, TNA does the right thing. The build has been wonderful and the fans are behind the guy, so it should be easy to just say "go out there, give us 30 minutes and let's have a new champ at the end". As long as we agree that this is what SHOULD happen and if something else does, it's counterproductive, then we're cool.

Just a comparative question; how many times has the Royal Rumble winner won their title match at Wrestlemania? I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure it's happened on many occasions.

Well yea. The whole point of adding a stipulation to the Royal Rumble in 1993 was to use it as a tool to elevate someone to the main event of Wrestlemania. In 1993, it was used to elevate Yokozuna, a rookie. He ended up winning the title at 'Mania, though our good buddy Hogan walked out with it afterwords. But be in the Rumble, a tournament, or Money in the Bank, the first winner has to be important. Had Edge cashed in the original MITB briefcase and lost, it might have derailed his Main Event push for a long time. It also might have cheapened the idea of Money in the Bank and caused it to have a short shelf-life as a concept. This BFG Series was decent TV for a while and it elevated a guy to the main event of the biggest show of the year. Having that guy lose would be stupid no matter how he loses.

Even if Roode loses Sunday, has the BFG Series and his push toward this match increased his status in the company? Could he easily lose this match and remain a Main Event player challenging for the title? Yes and yes, so why would it be so terrible? If the way he loses is executed well and sets up a good story, then that's what matters.

Not really. This company we're talking about has a very vague definition of what a Main Event actually is. Roode might get another shot, but it may take a year. Ask Matt Morgan about that. In TNA, if you aren't an "established name" already, your window is often short. Certainly this is the case in Bischoff/Hogan TNA. Thus, THIS is Roode's opportunity and regardless of whether something like Storm screwing him creates a "good story", it's really stupid and incredibly counterproductive to creating a new star. It's absolutely imperative that Roode wins here and in my opinion, he NEEDS to win clean too. No interference, no run-ins, no cheating. Roode needs to flat out beat Kurt Angle. Do that and you have a star.

You totally misunderstood. I was referring to whoever Roode's opponent from Japan would be as the "unknown entity." I certainly want Roode and any other champion to be a focal point.

I apologize for misunderstanding. That's my fault. You're right in this case as these novelties aren't going to be successful today and to use time on your two hour show on anything but your workers is risky at best.

I apologize if I thought we were further off on our thoughts than we actually are. I think we should be cleared up now, but the one thing we won't agree on is that Bobby Roode can't lose. No way, no how. There's no "good story" to come out of him losing. The way he's been built, he needs to win. No questions asked.

This could be a good idea if they promote the event properly. Both organizations could do a large amount of promoting the match, have it take place on Impact since it is their title that is on the line. The casual fans of TNA are likely not going to know who the foreign opponent is, but the match will still have a good feeling to it knowing that a foreigner could potentially take the TNA World Championship with them. Obviously that would never happen, but the fact that it "could" is a big deal. I'd be up for something like this but it depends on how much promoting is done for the event because otherwise people might not care. It could be a good chance for whoever is TNA's champion at the time to get more over with larger groups of fans. If it is someone like Roode like the threadstarter suggested, then it would be a great opportunity for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back