• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alves vs. Fitch 2 back on

Buffalo Dave

Yeeeeeeeah Buddy!!
So now that I can post threads I can bump this into its own thread

According to mmajunkie.com

by Dann Stupp on Apr 05, 2010 at 8:25 am ET
A late addition to the UFC 115 card is set now that a rematch between Thiago Alves (16-6 MMA, 9-3 UFC) and Jon Fitch (22-3 MMA, 12-1 UFC), which was originally slated for UFC 111, has been rebooked for the Vancouver card.

UFC president Dana White announced the fight via Twitter overnight.

While the long-awaited rematch was expected to be a feature bout last month at UFC 111, Alves was forced off the card due to a failed CT scan and subsequent brain surgery.

UFC 115 takes place June 12 at GM Place, and Alves vs. Fitch II is all but guaranteed to be part of the pay-per-view main card.

Im so pumped that they are sticking with this fight, Alves is my favorite welterweight next to the king of the division GSP. The only thing that scares me is that this fight will be similar to his last fight with GSP since Fitch has great takedowns now and with Alves being primarily a stand-up fighter, you know Fitch will be looking for the takedowns especailly with the way GSP domintated Alves with them. But hopefully Alves worked on this after his loss. Guess we will have to wait till June 12th to find out. Anyone else glad this is back on?

The fight is now gonna take place @ UFC 117 August 7th

I have zero to no interest in seeing this rematch. I had little interest the first time it was announced and have even less interest now. I don't think to much will change from what happened in the first fight. I am a firm believer that there is way to much hype surrounding Thiago Alves and honestly he should probably get a warm up fight first before being thrown back to the top guys. I really don't think he has ever truly been tested by anyone other then Josh Koscheck. He beat Matt Hughes who is a shell of his former self and then got spanked by GSP.

The fight in general just doesn't appeal to me. Like most Jon Fitch fights I see Fitch dominating Alves with his wrestling and keeping him on the mat for three rounds. I don't think we will see any good exchanges standing because Fitch knows what he is good at and does just that. Some call it boring, JMT ;), but I think it's smart. The fight just doesn't exude exciting and it has already been done before. The UFC would be much better off making the Kos/Fitch fight and then have Alves fight Paulo Thiago or Jake Ellenberger.

Well, as I mentioned in the News and Tidbits thread, I would have rather seen Dana stick to his guns and force Fitch to fight Koscheck after the Daley fight (if Kos wins, that is), but at the end of the day, I'm glad to see Thiago Alves will be able to compete again, and if fighting Fitch once more is what he really wants, then I'm happy he's going to get an opportunity to avenge his lost.

Anyway, I'm definitely rooting for Alves. I really, really want to like Jon Fitch, because he is a good fighter and he does seem like a good person as well, but that lay 'n pray shit just doesn't fly with me. You know, at least ATTEMPT to go for a submission, or hit the guy with some good ground and pound. Instead of doing either, he just lays there and sleeps his way to victory. Sure, you can argue that it's smart, but it's not something I personally enjoy seeing.

So, yeah... hopefully Alves can stop the takedown throughout the fight and keep it on the feet. Fitch has to have some decent stand-up, with his reach and the fact that he trains with the same people who've made Kos the incredible stand-up fighter he is today. So, more than anything... I just want an entertaining fight, and if Fitch can start delivering those, then I'll finally become a fan of his. If not, then it's just going to be another boring win for Fitch, and he'll remain out of the title picture. Simple as that.

fitch is going to dominate this fight because hes to good on the ground where thiago sucks

fitch is rather boring but still a good fighter him and koshcheck would be a better fight for the number one contender spot to gsp who is still the man in that division

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back