All music today sounds the same

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sweeping general statement? Yeah, but you all get what I mean. I'm listening to the radio and each song sounds like it's by the same artist. There is nothing that compels me to go out and buy a particular artists' CD. I may buy a song from said CD, but everyone sounds the same and there's nothing differentiating the bands. Why should I prefer The Academy Is over Theory of a Deadman, or whatever? At least in the UK they have Prodigy, Calvin Harris, La Roux, and others to break up the monotony.

America is boring when it comes to current hits. It's all droning and shit. I don't get how people can rag on electronic music for all being the same or easy to make, and then they go listen to radio stations full of stuff like THAT.

Sweeping general statement? Yeah, but you all get what I mean. I'm listening to the radio and each song sounds like it's by the same artist. There is nothing that compels me to go out and buy a particular artists' CD. I may buy a song from said CD, but everyone sounds the same and there's nothing differentiating the bands. Why should I prefer The Academy Is over Theory of a Deadman, or whatever? At least in the UK they have Prodigy, Calvin Harris, La Roux, and others to break up the monotony.

America is boring when it comes to current hits. It's all droning and shit. I don't get how people can rag on electronic music for all being the same or easy to make, and then they go listen to radio stations full of stuff like THAT.

...Sike?

That's why you should avoid the radio Doc. I quit listening to the radio when I was 12 years old. It didn't contain anything I was interested in any longer. Granted that was in the midst of the Backstreet Boys/N-Sync/Britney Spears era.

Fuck the radio. Seriously. The only stations worth a shit are the college ones. Got any college stations in your area?

Well, you can disagree all you want. I'm not saying the music is BAD, it's just nothing special. There are good songs out there but nothing tells me why I should prefer this band or that band. I have a friend who rants and raves over The Academy Is but I listen to it and it's nothing that great. It's not all that different from any other current popular band. I mean, there are some like Cobra Starship, Metro Station, Lady Gaga, and others that stand out from the crowd, but for the most part...

xfearbefore said:
That's why you should avoid the radio Doc. I quit listening to the radio when I was 12 years old. It didn't contain anything I was interested in any longer. Granted that was in the midst of the Backstreet Boys/N-Sync/Britney Spears era.

Fuck the radio. Seriously. The only stations worth a shit are the college ones. Got any college stations in your area?

I don't think so. I mostly listen to internet radio stations nowadays if I want radio. I only had to listen to it because I didn't have my iPod-car cable when I was driving and needed to listen to something.

Most of the bands on my iPod are independent bands who give out their songs on the internet (Star Salzman, the guys from Overclocked Remix, Funtastic Power, Lemon Demon...)

[youtube]n9z2j8JML8M[/youtube]​

Find something else that sounds like that, and I'll believe you...

I guess its just how deep you look in the music industry. Granted I'm no music expert but you could say I get around. At a glance, yes, prominent music may seem a bit uninspired. However, you shouldn't say that American music is a mush of similar stuff. If you want to listen to a rising musician in the hip-hop scene, I implore you to listen to K'naan. He is a perfect example of inspired, genuine, music today. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised, his music is easy to like and he has an amazing story. If you to hear it, just ask. That's just one example of how the American music industry is far from dead and barren.

I've heard stuff that sounds like that.

I mean, I'm not saying similarity is a BAD thing, but you need to find something that really changes them and makes them unique. For example, here are three bands I like that have similar yet different sounds.

[youtube]6foarCSFv8A[/youtube]

DragonForce. High-pitched voice, straight up guitars.

[youtube]y5kLxQGbRYg[/youtube]
Rhapsody. Italian DragonForce with an orchestra and choir.

[youtube]FVHawH0V6EQ[/youtube]
Sonata Arctica. Ten times darker than either of those. Finnish, with a sound similar to combining both of the previous bands.

You seem like the kind of guy that likes to listen to Moonsorrow Doc. Is this true? Talk to Echelon for all your foreign metal needs bud.

That's the mainstream music industry for ya Doc, even songs from pop artist today have a really bad techno sounding beat or a hip hopish beat over rubbish lyrics, and of course mainstream hip hop is shitty techno sounding beats with even worse lyrics. Some mainstream rock bands are alright I suppose, but it's all about the underground now if you want some variety in your collection, and from the sound of it you already got that part down.

I've heard stuff that sounds like that.

I mean, I'm not saying similarity is a BAD thing, but you need to find something that really changes them and makes them unique. For example, here are three bands I like that have similar yet different sounds.

[youtube]6foarCSFv8A[/youtube]

DragonForce. High-pitched voice, straight up guitars.

[youtube]y5kLxQGbRYg[/youtube]
Rhapsody. Italian DragonForce with an orchestra and choir.

[youtube]FVHawH0V6EQ[/youtube]
Sonata Arctica. Ten times darker than either of those. Finnish, with a sound similar to combining both of the previous bands.

EDIT: Nevermind...I misread your post.

I still disagree though. You need to dig deeper.

I had actually never heard of them. I'm listening on Youtube right now and liking what I hear.

I like metal that has a definite melody and harmonies in the vocals. That's why Rhapsody and Sonata Arctica are my favorites. They aren't just random thrashing, they're epic journeys with a clear mission.

My tastes in music are EXTREMELY eclectic. On my iPod I have everything from Star Salzman to Rhapsody to ABBA to Dexy's Midnight Runners to Newcleus.

Here's a good one by Moonsorrow, gets me pumped up every time I hear it.

[youtube]XhhvL8_C1TY[/youtube]​

So, you complain American music is all the same, and then name an English band, an Italian band, and a Finnish band. I've lost your point here...

The point was, bands can be similar yet have something different about them to make them unique.

My complaint wasn't directed to American bands, but rather to the mainstream music industry. I know it's what's POPULAR, but they could at least have some variety.

I'm actually happy that some bands are bringing electronic music into the mainstream. I can finally recommend Daft Punk or Basshunter to my friends and not get looked at like I'm insane.

The point was, bands can be similar yet have something different about them to make them unique.

My complaint wasn't directed to American bands, but rather to the mainstream music industry. I know it's what's POPULAR, but they could at least have some variety.

I'm actually happy that some bands are bringing electronic music into the mainstream. I can finally recommend Daft Punk or Basshunter to my friends and not get looked at like I'm insane.

I edited that post. I severely misread your statement before the videos. Not sure exactly what kind of "electronic" you're looking for, but 3OH!3 may be worth looking into. They're like electro-rock-ish, but don't take them too seriously. Their songs are fun and catchy, and definitely have a different sound from most music.

Like everyone else has said though, if you want different, avoid the mainstream. Look up bands like Otep, Arch Enemy, Walls Of Jericho, All That Remains, Type O Negative, Saosin, Underoath...

Yeah. By electronic music...I've heard calling it "Techno" is bad. By electronic I mean techno and trance.

I'll look into those bands. Thanks.

Public radio is shit. There's some good internet stations, if you're willing to dig. I'm a fan of Split Infinity Radio. You can get to them in iTunes. It's actually targeted towards MMO gamers, but it's a great way to find some alternative stuff. Check around as many internet stations as you can, you're bound to find something you like.

Also, listen to Nightwish. Given the bands you posted, I can guarantee you'll love them.

I just don't listen to new music, unless something really catches my attention. I mostly listen to older stuff.

Doc you should try listening to Escape The Fate, and if you want something different but awesome I suggest Alesana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back