Albert Haynesworth - Worst Signing in History?

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
I read this story today on ESPN.com and it's damn sure worth a look:

espn.com said:
WASHINGTON -- Washington Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor sexual abuse for allegedly fondling the breast of his server in a hotel restaurant in Washington.

A grand jury returned an indictment formally charging Haynesworth over the alleged incident at a downtown Washington hotel in the early hours of Feb. 13. If convicted, the 29-year-old two-time All-Pro faces up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

According to the U.S. attorney's office, the government's evidence shows Haynesworth slid a credit card down the front of the server's dress and fondled her breast.

Haynesworth's attorney, A. Scott Bolden, called the charge disappointing and regretful and said it would be a difficult case for the government to prove. Haynesworth is innocent and several witnesses would vouch that the alleged conduct never happened, Bolden said.

"We maintain his innocence, and now the fight begins," Bolden said.

Telephone and e-mail messages left for Haynesworth's agent, Chad Speck, were not immediately returned. Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie said the team referred all calls to Haynesworth and his agent.

Haynesworth is also currently facing charges in Virginia for allegedly punching a man during a road-rage assault. His trial is scheduled for May. At one point last summer, he was also involved in lawsuits from a bank, an exotic dancer, a man injured in an automobile accident and complaints from his ex-wife that he wasn't paying for her health insurance or their children's bills.

Haynesworth has also dealt with his share of on-the-field problems over the past year. He had a tumultuous 2010 season with the Redskins that ended when he was suspended without pay for the final four games of the season for "conduct detrimental to the club."

Haynesworth had constantly feuded with coach Mike Shanahan, skipped offseason workouts and failed to pass a conditioning test at the start of training camp.

He did not start a game last season, despite being in the second year of a seven-year, $100 million contract, and is expected to be traded or released by the Redskins this offseason.

I hate this guy. He's a lazy peice of garbage who cashed in his chips the moment he got paid. He's convinced himself that the Redskins paid him for what he HAD done, not for what he WOULD do. In my opinion, this guy is the worst signing of any kind - free agent or draft pick - in sports history.

Maybe you think I am wrong. Maybe you think it's Ryan Leaf. Or JaMarcus Russell. Or Greg Oden. But to me, it HAS to be Haynesworth. I hope the Redskins somehow recoup some of that money.

Thoughts? Dissent?

The difference between Leaf, Russell, and Oden to Haynesworth is the fact they haven't proved anything so I'll give them a pass. Haynesworth like you said IC is lazy and played to get paid. Once that happened he anchored his ship. The Redskins made a huge mistake with his huge contract. Sure it was tempting to get an elite DT, but I've always seen him as a bit overrated. He was pretty much the same player as Kevin Williams (at that time, IMO the best DT in the league) with more hype.

Is Haynesworth the worst signing in sports history? That's definitely a valid case. Haynesworth was given a gigantic contract and it looks like he is on the way out just two years in. I would have to say he is. I can't really think of anyone off the top of my head (probably due to the fact this is so recent). Big Lazy Al has amounted to 6.5 sacks in his time in DC and the refusal to learn the 3-4 defense under Coach Shanahan. Now while I admit I'm not a fan of Shanny or how he handled the Haynesworth saga, Haynesworth is at more fault. So yes I agree that Big Al is the worst signing in terms of production and money value.

I read this story today on ESPN.com and it's damn sure worth a look:

I hate this guy. He's a lazy peice of garbage who cashed in his chips the moment he got paid. He's convinced himself that the Redskins paid him for what he HAD done, not for what he WOULD do. In my opinion, this guy is the worst signing of any kind - free agent or draft pick - in sports history.

Maybe you think I am wrong. Maybe you think it's Ryan Leaf. Or JaMarcus Russell. Or Greg Oden. But to me, it HAS to be Haynesworth. I hope the Redskins somehow recoup some of that money.

Thoughts? Dissent?

Nope you are clearly 100% correct in this. Now is there bias because I've been an Eagles fan yeah, but in all honestly this guy did nothing for them. The Redskins ended up below .500 in their record this year, and they were suppose to be in real contention for the Superbowl? Redskins are paying him a lot of money for not doing much at all. If anything he is hurting their reputation and is getting paid big for it. He was a letdown to the Skin fans I've talked to and is honestly not any good when it comes to the money he apparently is worth. Redskins lost big on it and it shows the utter state of disarray in their franchise.

I'll give you a few signings that were worse.

1. Michael Vick resigns with Atlanta for $137 million over 10 years in 2005. Overall the money is less then Hayensworth but that is because of the time differential. The size of contracts increases every year but in comparison to the times of each contract, Vick's was bigger. Let's also not forget that Vick was resigned as the leader and future of the Falcons. A qb signing like that is much bigger then that of a DT. Vick led the Falcons to just a 15-17 record in the first two years of the contracts and then the dog fighting thing ended his career with the Falcons. Horrible signing.

2. Gilbert Arenas resigned for $111 over 6 years in 2008 with the Wizards. In 08-09 he missed all but two games. In 09-10 he played in just 32 games because of the gun incident and suspension. This season he played in 70 games but is now just a bench player in Orlando.

3. Jamarcus Russell/Ryan Leaf- Both were horrible draft picks and obviously bad signings. They each got huge contracts for being high picks and both did jack shit in the NFL. Hayensworth has at least given some production in the little bit he has played. In 2009 he had a solid season, obviously no where near what his contract would expect of him but it's something. Russell was always overweight and didn't give a shit and Leaf was just an all around ass hole.

4. Jim McIlvaine- He was a 2 year player in Washington in the NBA who averaged just 2 points and 2.5 rebounds per game. For some reason Seattle decided to give him a 7 year $35 million contract after those shitty seasons in Washington. It may seem little in comparison to Hayensworth money wise but this happened back in 1996 so 5 mill a year was a pretty big contract. McIlvaine's best season was 3.8 points and 4 rebounds per game. Absolutely horrendous.

Another thing that makes the Hayensworth signing not quite the worst is the fact that it was with the Redskins who have given some of the worst contracts in sports history. Adam Archuleta, Jeff George, Deion Sanders, Brandon Lloyd, Jeremiah Trotter, all received huge contracts and were overpaid.

I'll give you a few signings that were worse.

1. Michael Vick resigns with Atlanta for $137 million over 10 years in 2005. Overall the money is less then Hayensworth but that is because of the time differential. The size of contracts increases every year but in comparison to the times of each contract, Vick's was bigger. Let's also not forget that Vick was resigned as the leader and future of the Falcons. A qb signing like that is much bigger then that of a DT. Vick led the Falcons to just a 15-17 record in the first two years of the contracts and then the dog fighting thing ended his career with the Falcons. Horrible signing.

2. Gilbert Arenas resigned for $111 over 6 years in 2008 with the Wizards. In 08-09 he missed all but two games. In 09-10 he played in just 32 games because of the gun incident and suspension. This season he played in 70 games but is now just a bench player in Orlando.

3. Jamarcus Russell/Ryan Leaf- Both were horrible draft picks and obviously bad signings. They each got huge contracts for being high picks and both did jack shit in the NFL. Hayensworth has at least given some production in the little bit he has played. In 2009 he had a solid season, obviously no where near what his contract would expect of him but it's something. Russell was always overweight and didn't give a shit and Leaf was just an all around ass hole.

4. Jim McIlvaine- He was a 2 year player in Washington in the NBA who averaged just 2 points and 2.5 rebounds per game. For some reason Seattle decided to give him a 7 year $35 million contract after those shitty seasons in Washington. It may seem little in comparison to Hayensworth money wise but this happened back in 1996 so 5 mill a year was a pretty big contract. McIlvaine's best season was 3.8 points and 4 rebounds per game. Absolutely horrendous.

Another thing that makes the Hayensworth signing not quite the worst is the fact that it was with the Redskins who have given some of the worst contracts in sports history. Adam Archuleta, Jeff George, Deion Sanders, Brandon Lloyd, Jeremiah Trotter, all received huge contracts and were overpaid.

Arenas and Vick are both solid considerations to worst signing ever.

I have to wonder, though, if Vick hadn't been surrounded by poor peers if the signing would have been *that* awful. He's certainly shown that, even after two years in prison, the guy is a playmaker. That being said, they signed, he had a bad selection of company, and he wound up in prison.

Arenas I have no defense for. The dude has been injury plagued, filled with excuses, and in and out of trouble with the league for as long as I can remember. He's not even a poor man's T-Mac. He's just...something, I don't even know what.

I'll give a pass to Leaf and Russell because, as someone mentioned, that's the risk you take out of college. They aren't the first or last busts. Gholston is proving to be quite a bust as well. The difference between Gholston, Leaf, and Russell is that Leaf and Russell actually came fairly highly touted. Gholston had doubts surrounding him before he even left. Fool was drafted 6th overall and didn't record one damn sack in three seasons.

Here's one that nobody considered: David Beckham to the Galaxy. The exact figures of the TOTAL deal are unknown because of the sponsorships and revenue sharing he gained through Los Angeles, but it's about $6.5m a year and the guy hasn't really done shit for the club. He's spent more time injured and with other clubs than he has with the Galaxy.

The money might not be as great as other players, but the hype, publicity, and expectations were through the roof. He's been a complete bust and waste of time for the Galaxy. They essentially paid him $32m for his name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back