AJ Styles' Finisher

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
If this has been discussed in the thread discussing the four New Japan stars who've signed or who are believed to be signing soon with WWE, it wasn't my intention to poach someone else's posts. There's simply too many to read through in the thread.

In all the excitement surrounding AJ Styles signing with WWE, one thing that came to mind this morning was the controversy surrounding Styles' finisher, the Styles Clash. In spite of Style's acclaim inside the ring, it's important to remember that he's broken the necks of two men in New Japan while performing the move and it's lead to a great deal of controversy among wrestling fans as to whether or not New Japan should've banned the move, which they didn't. I get and agree that it wasn't entirely Styles' fault, as the other wrestlers didn't position their heads properly, but, at the same time, Styles was the one giving the maneuver. Given WWE's attention and concern regarding trauma to the neck and/or head, it goes without saying that the move will almost certainly be banned in WWE. While this won't hinder Styles' to any real degree inside the ring, I figured I'd address it as I think it'd be a matter of time before posts started popping up criticizing WWE for not allowing Styles to use the move; I figured a little reminder was necessary as to why the move shouldn't be used.

What do you think Styles will adopt or what do you hope he'll adopt in terms of a primary finisher in WWE?

I hope he gets to maintain using the finisher. I've seen Cesaro do somewhat of a variation of it. I've seen Styles do different versions of it in general. He use to perform a senton bomb in his early TNA days, maybe that could be an option?

Yoshi Tatsu was one of the people who broke their necks, who was the second in New Japan? The only other incident I'm aware of was one that happened at a UK indy show.

Anyway I think he'll keep it. In Yoshi's case it is definitely his fault. Styles has done the move flawlessly for 10 years and continues to do it, though of course New Japan plays up how "dangerous" it is. Which makes perfect sense from a storytelling perspective.

Michelle McCool and Crash Holly also did the same move for years with no incidents I'm aware of. But of course WWE being WWE I would not be surprised if AJ was not allowed to do it.

As for what he'd have instead, literally you can take any move from his arsenal and it would probably work as a believable finish. The phenomenal DDT, the torture rack powerbomb, the wheelbarrow facebuster, springboard 450, spiral tap, all of them would work. Of course the calf killer as well, which I hope he continues to use.

I too hope AJ Styles is allowed to use "Styles Clash"as his primary finisher. As J.J mentioned above, Antonio Cesaro uses a variation of this move as "The Neutralizer". Maybe he is not allowed to keep it so if he isnot, he can use "Spiral Tape" as i love that move and it showcases atlethicism of Styles! :rolleyes:

I think they'll probably let him keep it, unless there is a problem with it being too similar to Cesaro's Neutralizer or something like that. I was surprised when they let Joe keep the Muscle Buster and I think, until there are complaints or somebody is injured, they'll let Styles keep the Styles Clash too.

However if they were to force him to change it, I wouldn't mind seeing him use The Phenomenon (springboard moonsault into DDT) or the Spiral Tap (corkscrew senton) as his finish... although those are pretty high-risk as well. Perhaps something simple like a Pele Kick or his Calf Killer? There are multiple ways they can go with AJ Styles.

I don't think the WWE would ban the Styles Clash. Sure guys got injured recently from the move, but the injury rate is low considering how long AJ has been using this move. Plus, as many have pointed out already the Styles Clash is similar to Cesaro's Neutralizer which clearly isn't banned. If he were to take another finishing move I do see him using the Calf Slicer submission, or if he can still do it the Spiral Tap which is a corkscrew senton bomb.

Hmmm....what about the calf killer finisher? I know most of you WWE marks don't know anything about that finisher of AJ'S. AJ has a plethora of finishers he can use. He will make his money in WWE and finish up in TNA where he belongs.

If WWE wants the name AJ Styles, then they need him finishing matches with Styles Clash, because the man is synonimus with the move, but if they want to rebrand him in someone else, then the guy have many other cool looking moves that can be used as finisher.

AJ Styles isn't someone who's overshadowed by his Finisher. And his talents can't be curtailed just by banning just one of his moves. He got plenty in his arsenal altogether anyhow. So I reckon both AJ Styles and the WWE wouldn't think a lot to not use that move in the WWE ring (if he's signed). Probably he'll go for his Springboard 450 splash. Just my verdict.

Didn't Michelle McCool or some other diva from that time frame use thesame move? Noone complained then. And as others have said the injuries were due to the one receiving the move not tucking there head correctly. YoshI even admitted such.

He will use it no doubt about it.

They let Michelle McCool do the Faith breaker forever.
Styles Clash is iconic to him, it's like not letting Goldberg do the spear, or not letting Sting do the Scorpion Deathlock.

Joe uses the Muscle Buster after if went badly with Tyson Kidd... AJ has used the 'Clash for years, I don't see a problem. Either way there's Spiral Tap, the Pelé, Calf Killer, he's a talented Wrestler so he's got an amazing arsenal. Give him a run with the IC title.

Didn't Michelle McCool or some other diva from that time frame use thesame move? Noone complained then. And as others have said the injuries were due to the one receiving the move not tucking there head correctly. YoshI even admitted such.

He will use it no doubt about it.

You should make yourself aware that the Styles Clash needs to not have a head-tuck according to many performers.

As with everything, context is necessary. Wrestlers' bodies are different shapes and sizes and this can & should play a factor in who should be allowed to perform what move. In fairness it seems to me like a move that like the Tombstone, is much less dangerous if you're a taller wrestler, (McCool, tall for a woman - Styles, not short but not tall for a wrestler really) but Drew Galloway said in an interview for Wrestletalk I found on another website:

Drew Galloway in an interview said:
"It's an unnatural bump ... It's unnatural to not tuck your chin."

So in other words the one taking the bump has to play against their instincts and NOT tuck, which is a standard neck & head-protecting thing, and instead take the bump flat.

I don't claim to know a lot about bumping myself, this is just what I assess from what I've seen over the years in the ring & what I've read online. I've seen some people say "It's simple, just don't tuck your chin" but as McIntyre already pointed out, that plays against a wrestler's very training and instincts. He was otherwise extremely complimentary about Styles btw

You however cannot say "McCool used it, it was fine." McCool was frequently much taller & stronger than her opponent and therefore had much more control. It's context-based. By the way, I am not comparing Styles & McCool as talents in any way & in this situation neither should anyone else. You just need to look at the performer versus the move.

It's a very cool looking move I must say, but WWE is increasingly safety-conscious. No short guys get to perform the Tombstone. I even thought Triple H using it on Taker was pushing it at Mania. Looking around the web you can see that a couple of different columnists have written opinion pieces that Styles should not be utilising this move. On the flipside, he's performed it flawlessly many times with no problems.

Styles is widely considered an excellent talent and the Japan injuries following Styles Clashes in the past are widely recognised as "not completely AJ's fault", but excellent talent isn't going to automatically make a move safe. Remember even master technician Owen hurt Stone Cold.

UK indy wrestler Lionheart has his neck damaged taking this move and according to Cageside Seats, "implored him to ditch the move, not because he executes it unsafely, but because the natural instincts of any wrestler is to tuck their head when taking it".

Adrian "Lionheart" McCallum on his Facebook page said:
"Here's the truth... The move is not directly dangerous... It's a simple move in principle... Arms and legs locked, you fall forward, guy looks up/back, easy... The Styles Clash 'on paper' is a fairly safe and basic process...

That said, what is dangerous, is the instinctual reaction of your opponent... The wrestler taking the move, who like any wrestler taking any move, their safety and welfare is the priority..."

Once again he was otherwise very complimentary about AJ and positive about his work - a point in Styles' favour I think we can agree.

Do you think though that a 2/1000 chance of a neck break is worth the risk? I believe modern WWE won't, and I would certainly understand why.

tl;dr whether AJ is a safe worker or not is a non-issue, the move itself is an "unnatural" move and thus potentially very dangerous.

It's not even a dangerous move, the guy receiving it would have to be either knocked out or too dumb to tuck his head back so he doesn't get his neck cracked. It's not like he has the guy in a pile driver or tombstone position, the legs are tucked under the arms and all they have to do is fall forward and roll into the pin. Brock Lesnar's Germans are more dangerous than the Styles Clash.

I too hope AJ Styles is allowed to use "Styles Clash"as his primary finisher. As J.J mentioned above, Antonio Cesaro uses a variation of this move as "The Neutralizer". Maybe he is not allowed to keep it so if he isnot, he can use "Spiral Tape" as i love that move and it showcases atlethicism of Styles! :rolleyes:

I don't think his age will allow him to pull that off. I'd be surprised if he could still do a Shooting Star (Styles) Press.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if WWE made him change his finisher similar to CM Punk being forced to change the Pepsi Plunge (albeit for a far different reason). I could see AJ using something like the Calf Killer and the Pele as his WWE finishers.

If this has been discussed in the thread discussing the four New Japan stars who've signed or who are believed to be signing soon with WWE, it wasn't my intention to poach someone else's posts. There's simply too many to read through in the thread.

In all the excitement surrounding AJ Styles signing with WWE, one thing that came to mind this morning was the controversy surrounding Styles' finisher, the Styles Clash. In spite of Style's acclaim inside the ring, it's important to remember that he's broken the necks of two men in New Japan while performing the move and it's lead to a great deal of controversy among wrestling fans as to whether or not New Japan should've banned the move, which they didn't. I get and agree that it wasn't entirely Styles' fault, as the other wrestlers didn't position their heads properly, but, at the same time, Styles was the one giving the maneuver. Given WWE's attention and concern regarding trauma to the neck and/or head, it goes without saying that the move will almost certainly be banned in WWE. While this won't hinder Styles' to any real degree inside the ring, I figured I'd address it as I think it'd be a matter of time before posts started popping up criticizing WWE for not allowing Styles to use the move; I figured a little reminder was necessary as to why the move shouldn't be used.

What do you think Styles will adopt or what do you hope he'll adopt in terms of a primary finisher in WWE?

AJ Styles was a jobber in 2002! If he does which I hope he does the James Storm exit and head to TNA if he does sign with wwe they will bury him and ruin his image! TNA built AJ styles when he joined TNA that year after wwe jobbed him enough and made him nothing! Now wwe wants to ruin what others built for over a decade? Look at STING he STINKS! I am really upset how they ruined Steve Borden and last thing I want is to see another ex TNA star get buried! Samoa Joe is getting buried! So what I am saying is AJ Styles dislikes wwe when I interviewed him secretly with a micro cassette recorder so I don t see him signing with wwe when he can go to NJPW and sign with TNA where they would allow him to go anywhere! Once wwe they will make him let go of NJPW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back