How the Hell is AJ Styles Overrated?

APeople refer about him not being the greatest speaker but he is more competent than guys like Rey Misterio, Brock Lesnar and Bill Goldberg.

How can anyone argue with this logic. Here is a guy no one outside of TNA fans have ever heard of- and lets say he is less competent then some of the biggest names to ever get over in the industry!

AJ styles is highly rated by some but he is ignored by the vast majority.

AJ Styles lacks psychology. Perfect example have been his matches against Daniels, when they have had a bitter and hate filled rivalry. If you actually hate someone, you are not going to give them hurricanranas, cartwheel kicks, and 450 splashes. You are going to do HIGH IMPACT moves. Body slams, suplexes, punches, kicks, takedowns. But you saw the same shit he always does and it is garbage alot of the time because it doesnt make sense to the story.

Are you high? AJ has psychology, he can tell a story, he works over bodyparts, he sells well, how does he not have psychology? Maybe in his early days he did not but he does now for sure.

And yeah you clearly didn't watch his match with Daniels because he did the exact opposite of everything you complained about.

I think it is very easy to comprehend why some guys feel that AJ Styles is overrated (personally, I am not one of those people). Whether you are a fan of TNA or whether you are not, there's no denying that it is a distant second place when compared to the WWE on a global scale. When looking at the various other Indy promotions, they are even further behind again. So to claim that a guy whose entire career has been spent there is one of the best is a pretty bold statement, one which a lot of people would understandably have questions about.

I think to truly be considered one of the best, you have to display it and prove it on the biggest stage of all. Until you do so, such claims have to be somewhat suspect. And Styles has yet to step up and prove it. This is a thought process that continues to plague (rightly or wrongly) the legacy of Sting, but at least Sting has gone up against the best in such places as WCW and NWA. All of Styles's accolades and skills have been in lesser areas, and with this fact in mind, claims of him being amongst the best in the world are baseless. It would be like a CFL quarterback or an Arena League wide receiver claiming to be one of the best football players; to make this claim today, you have to show it in the NFL, and that's all there is to it.

I think Styles is truly phenomenal. I thinks he is criminally underutilized in TNA and I would love to see him display his talents in WWE. But until he does so, any claims of him being one of the best professional wrestlers around today are simply unsubstantiated, and will continue to be regarded as him being overrated. I don't care how good his move set is, or what kinds of skills he can do or has displayed, he'll continue to be regarded as overrated until he backs things up on the grandest stage of them all.

AJ styles isnt overrated he just the face of TNA nd 1 of the best in ring wrestler i have seen in a while AJ styles is the john Cena of TNA

AJ Styles lacks psychology. Perfect example have been his matches against Daniels, when they have had a bitter and hate filled rivalry. If you actually hate someone, you are not going to give them hurricanranas, cartwheel kicks, and 450 splashes. You are going to do HIGH IMPACT moves. Body slams, suplexes, punches, kicks, takedowns. But you saw the same shit he always does and it is garbage alot of the time because it doesnt make sense to the story.

People shit all over Cena because he "only has 5 moves" and "always has the same match". The same can be said about AJ Styles and frankly a majority of the TNA roster, which is why they are there and not in WWE. Same reasons why guys in the CFL aren't in the NFL. Just missing something and that something is psychology in AJ's case which is a HUGE deal in WWE.

TNA and ROH generally resort to high paced, flips and stunt style matches that are choppy and seem to have no spur of the moment moves. They set up the entire match prior and don't use the crowd to dictate what happens when. Which is why AJ has seen so much success in those 2 companies specifically. Some people like that. MOST people don't.

The first argument about his match with Daniels can be used against lots of wrestlers. I've seen plenty of "hate-filled rivalry" matches start with tie-ups leading to take-downs and reversals. HHH, Orton, Punk, and countless others have all been guilty of this.

"5 moves of doom!" Blah, blah, blah. Any wrestler who has every been relevant had 5 moves of doom. Hart, Hogan, Savage, Flair, Punk, Michaels, etc. Tell me about the psychology in all of these WWE matches. Neither company puts much psychology into their TV matches. PPV matches tend to be a bit different. It's hard to put a lot of psychology into a 3 minute TV match.

AJ Styles is far from perfect. As mentioned repeatedly, his mic skills are lacking. He's been involved in some horrible storylines, particularly his current one. He's had his share of botching high-spots. That said, he is a very competent performer. I don't consider him in the class of Punk, Bryan, Angle, or Jericho. I do however put him above most other wrestlers in WWE or TNA.

Kinda off topic here... BUT, just wanna say that when TNA made Styles act like ric flair and totally become flair jr - that was without a doubt the lowest point in Styles career. What a joke that was. Little Petey Pump was almost as dumb

He is overrated as a performer.

AJ Styles was the reason I used to watch TNA. He was one of the best wrestlers in the world & had ALL the potential in the world.

Between that stupid AJ tattoo, the down right terrible gimmicks & storylines in TNA, & the fact no one seemed to ever help him develop in the areas he was lacking like promos, character acting, & character/persona development, AJ has been reduced to a simple TNA novelty act, like Sting or Jarrett. It's just TNA's way of trying to show off something WWE hasn't had, but they never think about the fact that since they do that Vince doesn't want them.

If Styles would have been put into some kind of stronger developmental program, even as late as 2008 and would have taken a step out of TNA, I have no doubt he would be headling Mania's.

But he decided to stay faithful to TNA, which I respect, but absolutely demolished his career. And people like me that genuinely like him but can't stand the garbage TNA has spit out since Hogan & Bischoff got there, would simply prefer to watch his older work.

Some claim TNA fans think he is some prodigy, which is true, and they think that is the reason he is overrated. I disagree because I think he COULD have been something special & somewhat of a prodigy, IF he was given the right tools. And unfortunately he seems to be content rotting away in TNA.

Blah Blah Blah Blah..........AJ Styles sucks unless he goes to the WWE. Then he would suddenly be the man. Sick and tired of hearing that bullshit.

Anybody who thinks AJ Styles' matches aren't physical and don't tell a story, obviously didn't see his match at Destination X with Daniels. That was as physical a match as you can get. I will say it once and I will say it again. Thank God, these IWC assholes aren't actually booking and running these organizations. The word "shit" would have a completely different meaning

If we have a thread on 'overrated' we shouldnt be talking about AJ Styles, we should be talking about John Cena.

AJ Styles is a great wrestler and an amazing athlete, there is no doubt about that.The problem I have with not only AJ but all the high flyers is they botch so many moves.I want the matches I watch to at least give the illusion that it's real.Do I think AJ is overrated? No I do not, I think he is Mr.TNA.Do I think he is great ?No I do not,he is really good but not great!

I don't see Styles getting anywhere near the hate that tends to follow especially popular wrestlers these days. Every wrestler is going to have his or her share of detractors, it's inevitable. No wrestler is universally liked.

Is Styles somewhat overrated? I'd have to say yes, at least when it comes to reasons why Styles should be carrying the company. Inside the ring, Styles is brilliant. He's one of the top in-ring guys in the world. His promos aren't terrible anymore, they're generally passable in my eyes, but I definitely agree that the guy can't act to save his life and he's not all that high in the charisma department. Styles is only where he is due to his ability inside the ring and it's carried him as far in TNA as it possibly can.

He's done everything in TNA, he's won everything in TNA. However, because of his generally lackluster personality and promo skills, I don't see Styles ever being thought of as one of the "all time greats" in wrestling period. because he just hasn't connected with the masses of the wrestling audience. He's no doubt a future TNA Hall of Famer as he's one of the guys that really laid the foundation for the company and has been there from pretty much the beginning. In terms of greatness, however, will he generally be thought of by the majority of pro wrestling fans in America as being on the level of Hogan, Flair, Savage, Austin, Rock, Cena, Angle, Taker, Triple H and Orton? I highly doubt it. The only two ways I see it having a possibility of happening are if TNA's audience grows tremendously over the next several years or Styles jumps to WWE and becomes a huge success.

Looking at some of his recent matches, including the Last Man Standing with Daniels, AJ is far from overrated. His promo work is average at best, but in the ring he's fantastic. And I fail to see how him going to WWE would somehow make him better. In what way exactly? Makes no sense to me. Just like the argument of Cena being overrated. AJ has been featured in quality matches throughout his career. One of my faves was the Iron Man match he had with Doug Williams for the TV title. Now you want to talk overrated? I never saw anything in guys like Dolphin Ziggler and the Miz. When I was still watching Raw, these cats never appealed to me. I know many fans are into them, but they made me change the channel. To each his own. For right now, the only thing making AJ looks bad is this idiotic storyline he's in now. Once that ends, we might see him back in the title picture.

From what I've seen, he's great in the ring, but lacks everything else. Then again. Bret Hart was terrible on the mic and had no charisma whatsoever, but he's dubbed as one of the best ever. So you don't need the entire package to make it happen.

okay, he is no HBK or Y2J but how does that make him overrated? Austin couldn't do half the things they can do, nor can the Rock, but are they overrated? AJ Styles is the best in TNA. it is that simple. if you are saying he is the best ever, yeah i could see you making an argument against that but who in TNA is better than him? he can do hi-flying, technical wresting, hardcore and is decent on the mic. that is a hell of a lot better than most wrestlers out there. i don't see him as overrated.

The Rock is 100x the talker AJ is but AJ is 1000x the wrestler the Rock will ever be. Just look at last weeks impacty match against Storm. That match was a classic and on free TV. AJ can get a great match out of anyone and for me that is what make him great!

In a fake sport where popularity is everything how can AJ be considered "Great"? I'll go ahead and answer my own question. He isn't.

Blah Blah Blah Blah..........AJ Styles sucks unless he goes to the WWE. Then he would suddenly be the man. Sick and tired of hearing that bullshit.

How are you tired of hearing something that no one has ever said? Nobody in their right mind thinks AJ would do well in the WWE. He's not good enough.

AJ Styles is one of the best in ring performers out there. You could put him on par with Punk, Bryan, Jericho, Hart, and so on. BUT...... he is lacking in promo skills. Styles on a mic puts me to sleep. And this horrid storyline he's in now doesn't help matters.

AJ Styles is one of the best in ring performers out there. You could put him on par with Punk, Bryan, Jericho, Hart, and so on. BUT...... he is lacking in promo skills. Styles on a mic puts me to sleep. And this horrid storyline he's in now doesn't help matters.

The first part of this post sums up exactly why AJ Styles is overrated. He's not on par with the names you mentioned. His matches are not as good as his fans say they are. And you can talk about Destination X or his triple threat with Joe and Daniels or whatever match you'd like and you'd only be highlighting how overrated he actually is.

I think these young fans who mark out for "spot guys" hold AJ to a high regard based on his athleticism and overlook the big picture....

You mean they hold him to a high regard cuz he's one of the best WRESTLERS in the business, and overlook the big picture of...what exactly??? :banghead: I mean, we are supposed to be WRESTLING fans right? all this "telling a great story in the ring" or "showing emotion" what exactly does this all mean in the grand scheme of things? do you even know? You people probably don't, as it's a "insert reason here" reason to "back" you up when you can't think of anything to actually back up your statements.

He puts on nothing but 5 star matches night in and night out, does crazy spots when he needs to, and can make anyone look good. How is this a bad thing? He's the second longest reigning TNA champion, the first Grand Slam champion, etc. etc. Sorry everyone, he IS the face of TNA whether you want to believe it or not. He helped build the company and is still very popular with everyone who watches IW/TNA.

When you say TNA to someone, the first wrestler that comes to people's minds is AJ, and you all know that is true. The guy puts on a great WRESTLING match every time he sets foot in the ring, and continues to put on great matches even if they seem to be a repeat. Look at his match with Daniels at D-X, and the Tag Title match at Slammiversary. 2 of the best matches I've seen in EITHER company this year.

I'm not "young," but I do hold AJ in high regard for being a great worker who never half asses, and rarely makes a mistake. He puts on great, entertaining matches and if you can't see that then there's no hope to change your mind cuz you're obviously beyond reason.

First off, this is opinion and completely subjective.

Secondly, I saw plenty of HBK and Bret Hart, and its pretty much undeniable that they couldn't pull off the moves that styles does. Did you ever see either of them ever pull off something nearly as difficult as a spiral tap? Did either of them ever torture rack bomb a 270 pound man? A.J. styles has one of the most diverse move sets in wrestling and the ability to wrestle any style that he wants.

Finally, saying that you can see better wrestlers at an indy show in Toronto is plain ignorant.

AJ Is 5'11. 215lbs.. why the hell would he torture rack bomb a 270lbs man? That makes no sense.. just because he can do it dosent mean he should.

AJ Is 5'11. 215lbs.. why the hell would he torture rack bomb a 270lbs man? That makes no sense.. just because he can do it dosent mean he should.

Because it's tells a story in a match. It's not something AJ would normally do, so it's nothing wrong with doing something out of the ordinary once in the while to show that a wrestler is willing to do anything to win.

Because it's tells a story in a match. It's not something AJ would normally do, so it's nothing wrong with doing something out of the ordinary once in the while to show that a wrestler is willing to do anything to win.

Ohh don't get me wrong. If there is a reason behind it im all for it. ;)

The first part of this post sums up exactly why AJ Styles is overrated. He's not on par with the names you mentioned. His matches are not as good as his fans say they are. And you can talk about Destination X or his triple threat with Joe and Daniels or whatever match you'd like and you'd only be highlighting how overrated he actually is.

Fair enough. I can see where you're coming from and maybe I did get a little carried away. He may not be on their level but he isn't that far from it. He's overrated because he definitely isn't the 'face' of that company.

He is definitly the best wrestler to grace professional wrestling in the last 10 years or so, no one can come close in my opinion.

He doesnt have the charisma of Autin or mic skills of the Rock but he has his own styles thats why he will always be the face of the company.

I think you might be better of watching daytime television, "Days of Our Lives" or "General Hospital" come to mind, if you are watching wrestling for acting and stories.

I wouldn't call AJ overrated, but I do think he will never be an elite wrestling superstar, mainly due to his lack of charisma. When I think about wrestling superstars, I think about people who can break barriers, people who are known outside of the wrestling world. I think a simple 'test' would be to ask "would I want to see him on Jay Leno (Conan/Letterman/etc)?

I want to hear what Kurt Angle has to say outside of the Impact Zone. I want to hear what Bobby Roode has going on in his life away from the ring. CM Punk on a talk show is a win for everyone. Jericho can entertain no matter what he is doing. Can you say any of this about AJ? I don't think so. He's great in the ring, he does some fairly unique moves, but that's about all he has going for him. He was fine as THE MAN when TNA was a baby company that very few people cared about, but now that they are trying to get more mainstream (an exercise in futility, I say), they need larger than life superstars so they can expose the product to more than just wrestling fans.

I don't think AJ can be that person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back