After finding out wrestling wasn't real

It happened gradually for me, I was about 12 when the Invasion storyline started, and it did occur to me as a bit odd how this billionaire tycoon could cock up the buying out of his rival company so easily.

The thread starts to unravel after that, I started asking questions such as
"Why does Vince have an office in every arena in the USA?";
"Do wrestlers have to press a button to play their own music when they're interrupting someone else's promo? Or do they just threaten the sound guy?";
"Is it American health and safety legislation to have soft landings surrounding stage areas?"

And once I saw the glaringly obvious parts of what made up the television production spectacle of wrestling, it wasn't before long that I saw how orchestrated and choreographed the in-ring entertainment was.

Soon after, I read Mick Foley's Have a Nice Day, and also watched the documentary Beyond the Mat and my mind was blown. 'Calling spots', 'blading', 'the X sign', 'gorilla position', the fact that the wrestlers all carpooled together, Vince is actually a nice person...

Having this 'insider knowledge' though made me appreciate the business and the drama even more; the scale of the industry is huge and you don't realise it when you're thinking in terms of Oh I bet Stone Cold is pissed after last week, I bet when he goes to work today he'll hit someone with a chair.

I think I got into it around the age of 5, and about two years later my cousin told me it wasn't "real" I didn't believe him at first, but then realized I didn't care anyway. For awhile I still pretended it wasn't scripted, but then I slowly accepted it. It never really made a difference to me.

I started watching it at age 10 and these men were like superheroes to me. Suffice to say, I was a little disappointed to find out it was fake but I wasn't really all that surprised. Anytime someone told me it was fake, I would just tell them it's not "fake" but it's scripted. They know what's going to happen and they know what to do but the risks they take are real. These men go through so much pain and put their bodies through so much for all of the fans. I still love wrestling to this day as much as I did when I was 10 and I'm 19 now. I still get up off my couch and cheer when something exciting happens. I will always love wrestling. And I know its not totally real

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back