• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A WWE War Games, really?

CM Steel

A REAL American
The WWE owns all the rights of the defunct WCW. Which would included the War Games pay per-view, which really got started in the old NWA. War Games was created by Dusty Rhodes. The format of the War Games match...

The WarGames match consisted of two teams of either four or five men each facing off with each other in staggered entry format.

The setup of the cage consisted of two rings side by side with a giant ring-encompassing cage that covered both rings, but not the ringside area. Doors were placed at far corners of the rectangular cage so the two teams didn't come into contact before they were supposed to.

The match began with one member of each team entering the cage. After five minutes, a member from one of the teams (usually determined by a coin toss, but has also been determined by a match or by a contest such as an arm wrestling match, a live fan poll, etc.; this is almost always the "heel" team in order to provide heat) would enter the cage, giving his team the temporary handicap advantage. After two minutes, a member from the other team would enter to even the odds. Entrants alternated between teams every two minutes, giving the coin toss-winning team the temporary advantage in the numbers game before giving the other team the advantage with the freshest man and even odds.

Once all eight or ten men (depending on team size) had entered the cage, what was referred to as "the match beyond" began. Both teams would brawl in the cage for as long as it took until a member of either team submitted, surrendered, or was knocked unconscious. There was no pinfall and no disqualification, which often led to brutal and bloody confrontations.

There has been talk for years that the War Games match could be brought in as a WWE PPV event. But WWE chairman Vince McMahon has been vocal against the idea seeing that War Games is more of a WCW thing and not a WWE original. The War Games match could have been a good idea to use in the Nexus storyline. In where the WWE superstars could have made that match against the Nexus at that years Summerslam PPV a War Games match! But it didn't happen.

But could you see a War Games match in the WWE in the future at all?

As long as it is still PG, I don't see a War Games match ever happening. It does sound kinda like the Lockdown match in TNA but yea, if and I hope when they come out of PG, we could see a War Games match on our TV.

As long as it is still PG, I don't see a War Games match ever happening. It does sound kinda like the Lockdown match in TNA but yea, if and I hope when they come out of PG, we could see a War Games match on our TV.

Weren't like all the war games under a PG rating? Wasn't wrestling itself entirely under a PG rating until late 98 or early 99 when Raw when TV-14 and remained that way for 10 years? Haven't we had several hell in a cell and elimination chambers and many other specialty matches since the WWE went PG?

A PG rating isn't stopping them from doing war games, they just don't want to do war games.

The WWE owns all the rights of the defunct WCW. Which would included the War Games pay per-view, which really got started in the old NWA. War Games was created by Dusty Rhodes. The format of the War Games match...

The WarGames match consisted of two teams of either four or five men each facing off with each other in staggered entry format.

The setup of the cage consisted of two rings side by side with a giant ring-encompassing cage that covered both rings, but not the ringside area. Doors were placed at far corners of the rectangular cage so the two teams didn't come into contact before they were supposed to.

The match began with one member of each team entering the cage. After five minutes, a member from one of the teams (usually determined by a coin toss, but has also been determined by a match or by a contest such as an arm wrestling match, a live fan poll, etc.; this is almost always the "heel" team in order to provide heat) would enter the cage, giving his team the temporary handicap advantage. After two minutes, a member from the other team would enter to even the odds. Entrants alternated between teams every two minutes, giving the coin toss-winning team the temporary advantage in the numbers game before giving the other team the advantage with the freshest man and even odds.

Once all eight or ten men (depending on team size) had entered the cage, what was referred to as "the match beyond" began. Both teams would brawl in the cage for as long as it took until a member of either team submitted, surrendered, or was knocked unconscious. There was no pinfall and no disqualification, which often led to brutal and bloody confrontations.

There has been talk for years that the War Games match could be brought in as a WWE PPV event. But WWE chairman Vince McMahon has been vocal against the idea seeing that War Games is more of a WCW thing and not a WWE original. The War Games match could have been a good idea to use in the Nexus storyline. In where the WWE superstars could have made that match against the Nexus at that years Summerslam PPV a War Games match! But it didn't happen.

But could you see a War Games match in the WWE in the future at all?

So you want WWE to completely copy NWO vs WCW ? Nexus was already a ripoff of NWO and doing this would have made them look more inferior to WCW by copying thier storylines, matches,etc.

I had never seen a War Games match until reading this post, as I watch Team NWO vs Team WCW. I actually loved the concept, and I think it could work in WWE today. I also think it could work under the PG era. However, I don't know if it would work storyline wise, soon? Unless the 'Paul Hayman' group forms, I couldn't see how it could fit into a storyline. I could imagine it instead of the Elimination Chamber, but Elimination Chamber basically is one of the War Games rings, just on a larger scale. But I would like to see War Games return.

War Games was a fun concept. Personally, I always thought the best one was the original in which the Four Horsemen & JJ Dillon took on The Road Warriors, Dusty Rhodes, Nikita Koloff & Paul Ellering. It just had a vibrance to it that many of the other War Games matches lacked in my eyes.

The Horsemen were running wild in what would soon become WCW and this loose alliance of babyfaces joined forces to take them on. A "faction wars" angle could work in WWE and seem very fresh because they don't do it often at all. It's been a good decade since there was that sort of angle going on in WWE.

A good use of the War Games match could have been during the Bragging Rights ppvs as it..well it gives the winning side Bragging Rights. It's a concept that could work but WWE would have to devote a lot of time & wrestlers to building it properly. Unfortunately, just about the only way that happens would be if the match was packed with main eventers and Vince wants to keep his biggest stars in singles matches during ppvs.

I don't see this ever happening, however. I don't know if I buy into the reports of Vince not doing it because it's a WCW creation. If there's money in it, then I don't see why he wouldn't. Vince is someone that's been accused of only liking & wanting to push big guys and not doing anything with wrestlers that've been big on the indy scene. It's possible, however, because Vince is someone that's impossible to predict at times.

While it would be fun to watch there's really no storylne that it would make sense in currently. War Games worked in WCW because WCW always had factions to throw into it: 4 Horsemen, nWo, Dungeon of Doom, Dangerous Alliance, Wolfpac, etc.

Back when WCW was around WWF also had plenty of groups but didn't have the rights to the match. Unless Heyman forms a large group, Vickie gets a few more guys, if the AW angle took off, then I dont see it ever coming to WWE.

I always had a problem with all the WCW gimmick matches that required more than one ring to be present. It's nice for the match itself, but the rest of the night they're eyesores that uselessly take up space and don't belong.

And with War Games in particular I had the particular problem that until every member of every team was in, the match could have no decision. No pinfalls or submission, there was no way to win or lose the match. You could get beat up, yes, but at no point was anyone in danger of getting eliminated. It was boring.

Now if it was an elimination match were each contestant could get eliminated at any time, that would be one thing, but that's not the concept of that match.

Go back and actually watch those matches, the War Games Gimmick didn't help or make the match it was the storyline or angles. Like someone said all night it's an eyesore and pain in the ass, plus you lose seats which means you lose money. WWE already made the Elimination Chamber out of War Games, it's done and over with, move on.

Sorry for sounding like an ass but it's been discussed a million times before.

I don't think the pg era has a reason for it not being used but the WWE already have 2 gimmick cage match PPV's Elimination Chamber and Hell in a cell why add another. After all does WWE have the talent to put 8-10 guys in 1 match and make the rest of the PPV be good and worth buying? I don't think they do

Vince and Creative were thinking of a huge main event for Survivor Series 2002. The thing that kept coming up the most was having War Games match for the World Heavyweight Championship. That was the direction they were headed for until Vince nixed it and created the Elimination Chamber instead.

Sad, really, cause while Elimination Chamber is decent, it pales in comparison to the awesomeness that was War Games. Elimination Chamber matches are typically bloodless affairs that go through all the motions of seeming "extreme" without really making it there.

The original Wargames, the underrated Road Warriors and Midnight Express Vs. The Freebirds and The SST wargames, and the amazing Sting's team vs. Dangerous Alliance wargames were some of the best matches ever.

War games was the best thing WCW did. I wouldn't mind WWE bringing it back. I dont want it as a yearly ppv though.

Looking back I would love to see War Games at SS when they had Team Cena vs Nexus. The way Nexus debuted when they attacked Cena and destroyed Raw, it would have made more sense to do a War Games style match instead of a regular wrestling match at SS.

Now did ya'll see last night with the Night of Champions PPV that was an WCW original, that the WWE has no problem bringing back old WCW PPV. So why not the most popular WCW PPV at that time era? War Games lived up to it's name! And I bet that if Triple H pushed his father-in-law Vince McMahon hard enough, it could happen. It very well could due to Triple H being War Games number one fan.

Alright, let's do some fantasy in this. If it came down to it where this Punk vs. Cena builds up even more so that it leads to Survivor Series where we watched Wargames take place between both of them how would you book it? These are not in order of their entry, but rather the people that came to mind for this.

Team Punk
CM Punk
Damien Sandow
Christian
Alberto Del Rio
Mark Henry

Team Cena
John Cena
Randy Orton
Brodus Clay
Ryback
Zack Ryder​

Before anyone asks why I put Zack Ryder in this, because of his friendship with Cena on air is the reason why I placed him there.

I would start the match off with Damien Sandow and Brodus Clay. This would further their fued from Smackdown and it would also be a nice way to start. Allow the aggression between the two to start to take off and when the five minutes is up, enters Christian to help out Sandow. They start to wear down Clay, giving them a couple of minutes to beat him up without much fighting back. That's when the timer goes down and Ryback enters the cage with Sandow and Christian both intimidated.

The chants start of feed me more, and he starts to take them out individually before Christian hits him with a low blow and Sandow and Christian start to try and double team him but Brodus gets back up and starts helping them out. It becomes a closer fight when the bell rings for the next person to enter, and in comes Mark Henry. Mark Henry immediately attacks Ryback to wear him down. The offense between the two on one is becoming too much, this way Ryback doesn't lose his "credibility of being a monster", but rather is looking like he's just getting beaten down by a monster of his calibur and another superstar.

The match continues on, and Ryder comes into the match. Let me explain from here, since I haven't stated where each wrestler currently is located. Since there are two rings in War Games, I would have it so Brodus and Ryback are in the second ring, which is the furthest away from the entrance. Everyone else is now in the first ring closest to the door. Now while his team mates are laying on the ground, holding themselves and looking down for the count. Punk's team is looking at him like a pack of wolves about to pounce on their prey. He gets into the ring and takes a beating from the all, with Cena and Orton starting to look angry on the side while Alberto and Punk start to laugh and smile. The bell rings again and ADR now enters. He starts his assault on Ryder as well, which would further allow Ryback and Brodus to start to regain their composure while Ryder is still being slaughtered.

Punk see's what's going on and starts yelling at them but they aren't paying attention. Brodus and Ryback get on the aprons of both rings and Punk starts to climb the cage to get their attention. As that's happening, Orton is running up to the cage door and punching the stairs ala pre-RKO. Punk now finally has their attention and tells them to turn around. Broback is now standing in the ring and they're starting to back up. Broback starts to get hyped and screaming, as three starts to attack and ADR is staying back trying to think of a way to take them out. The attack continues between the three and ADR jumps in. The moment he does, the bell rings and Orton enters the ring. He RKO's ADR and then starts to attack Mark Henry. They begin to clean up house before the number's game [ per Ryder is still down and out ] catches up to them.

Punk now enters the match and goes for Ryder and kicks him over to the part of the cage where Cena is, then presses his foot against the back of his head holding it against the cage. The rest begin to wear down Cena's team again. With the fatigue already showing on most of the wrestlers. Punk pulls Ryder by his leg into the middle of the ring and puts him in the STF right in front of Cena, staring into his eyes while Ryder is screaming in pain and reaching for his help.

The bell rings and Cena comes into the match, attacking anyone that gets in his path. CM Punk has already let go of the STF and is waiting for Cena to attack. They begin to fight and this is where I would make it a "fair fight". I would have Cena fight and let the numbers game get on him. Then have Orton come and interject as they're beating on Cena, before then having Ryback and Brodus come in to make it a fair fight with mostly one on ones.

I would have Punk vs. Cena, Orton vs. ADR, Henry vs. Ryback, with Christian and Sandow double teaming Brodus. At the ending of the match I would have it so the numbers game catches up to Cena's team. From there, I don't know who I would book as the winners. But it's just a fantasy. What would you all decide?

First of all War Games was a great match & should be brought back and you are on the right track but I would change a couple of things.

1) instead of Team Punk vs Team Cena make it Team Heyman vs Team McMahon (like said on chair shot reality)

2)Team Heyman CM Punk Brock Lesner Big Show Cody Rhodes (not cause he is a "Heyman Guy", but have Punk play the lack of respect card saying he hasnt gotten the respect he deserves and earned for what he did as IC champ)

3)Team McMahon John Cena Triple H Randy Orton (out of respect for Triple H & Cena) The Miz

I agree with giving the Heels the extra man and have them Enter Brock, Show Rhodes, Punk.

The Faces have Cena & Triple H debating who will start and have Orton just run in against Brock having them start the match then Show will enter and they just dominate Orton like he is nobody.

Triple H will run in to help Orton and evens it up but no side has total control till Cody enters and he just makes sure Brock & Show keep control and inflict as much damage as possible.

The Miz will put a stop to that & keep Rhodes busy till Punk enters Punk will hit Miz with the GTS keeping him down for a little the Chopblock Triple H & Brock Delivers the F5 to Triple H Show will then hit Orton with the WMD Punk catches him and Hits the GTS

As Cena gets ready to enter Triple H starts moving and get hit with WMD, so Cena just bum rushes Punk and throws him into Brock delivers a shoulder block to Shows Knee (mean while the refs are having a problem locking the cage so he throws Rhodes through the door and quickly gives Show an AA while throwing him onto Brock Punk hits Cena as soon as he hits AA after Cena gets tripled team for a little have the rest start gettin up and finally even the score and weaken Show and Brock mainly have Rhodes try to get back in only to be Hit with an RKO spring boarding off the rope back outside have the three hold their own and go back and forth for a good 5 minuets Rhodes makes his way Back in only to be hit with the Skull Crushing Finally for the pin.

Team Cena vs. Team Punk would be good!!
Team Vince vs. Team Heyman would be better!!
Team Champions vs. Team Challengers would be best!!

Team Champions: Captain – CM Punk, Sheamus, The Miz, Antonio Cesaro, Kane, and Daniel Bryan

Team Challengers: Captain – John Cena, Alberto Del Rio, Ryback, Zack Ryder, Rey Mysterio, and Sin Cara

I would have this as the Main Event at the Survivor Series. As you can see, I went with 6-on-6, because I want the other matches to all be traditional 5-on-5 Survivor Series Elimination Tag Team matches. I’m only going with the current Champions and their respective Challengers, because I can’t even guess as to who the Champions and Challengers will be by November. The selling point of this match you ask. If the Challengers win the match, they all win the Titles they are # 1 Contenders for. Can either of these teams co-exist long enough to retain / win all of the WWE’s Championships?? I'd book the Titles to change hands.

I know everyone wants to go Team Heyman vs Team McMahon, I'm going outside the box...sticking with Team Heyman however they will take on Team Flair.

At this point in time, both GM's will be fired and I think that the only replacement that would make sense would be Ric Flair. Heyman one by one would bring in "his" guys and start to dominate the WWE. Ric Flair having no choice would turn to a few old friends thus leading to the teams I have.

I think everyone here is in agreement that the main players in this match are Punk, Brock, Cena and Triple H, which I use those as the basis for my teams but then I go outside the box just slightly for some other members of each team, which are obtainable.

Team Heyman- CM Punk, Brock Lesnar, Big Show, DeVon Dudley, and Rhyno or Colt Cabana (either one could be swapped out)

Now we all know Devon is a free agent and can sign with the WWE at anytime, Rhyno is a former ECW Champion and can be considered a "Paul Heyman" guy and would be a huge physical presence. Colt Cabana would fit because he is good friends with CM Punk and has a huge independent following so it would seem fitting he would also be a "Paul Heyman" type guy.

Team Flair- John Cena, Triple H, Sheamus, Randy Orton, and Batista.

John Cena and Sheamus are obvious picks only because of their feuds with Punk and Big Show, however I have Ziggler cashing in MITB by this point and him being WHC. Triple H and Orton would be brought in by Flair and then the missing piece would be the signing of Dave Batista. He would be brought in to combat Brock's MMA style fighting, this is also contingent upon Dave winning his fight next month because if not it's hard to take him seriously as a fighter. But this would be a slight reformation of Evolution, which I feel is a highly underrated faction as for what it did for the careers of Orton and Batista. But they are all brought together to stop this Heyman faction.

Mack, In your original post, you stated that Vince is opposed of the idea. That is why you will probably never see a WarGames match in WWE...it wasn't his creation.

Vince is not big on concepts that drew money that he didn't create, hence why he always made AWA/NWA/WCW guys look inferior to WWF/E guys. He might put out a DVD to make money but I don't see a WarGames match happening in WWE. He might do something similar and give it a different name...like he does everything else.

War Games? Won't happen, WWE was quick to drop the word WAR from RAW after 9/11 in 2001, so I don't think that if they did anything like it, they'd be in a rush to use the word WAR again.

No, the lockdown match sounds like War Games.

anyway.

They could bring it back, just do it at HIAC instead, but same format.

Or shit, better yet, make it a specialized episode of RAW, since its a big team match, with no world title on the line. Just take the top feuds, faces on one side, heels on the other. For example, your match right now could be Cena, Ryback, Sheamus, and Orton against Del Rio, Punk, Miz, and Ziggler. Etc.

May not sell as a big show anymore, but could be an interesting draw for a special RAW sometime.

Now did ya'll see last night with the Night of Champions PPV that was an WCW original, that the WWE has no problem bringing back old WCW PPV. So why not the most popular WCW PPV at that time era? War Games lived up to it's name! And I bet that if Triple H pushed his father-in-law Vince McMahon hard enough, it could happen. It very well could due to Triple H being War Games number one fan.

WCW has NEVER had a PPV called Night of Champions, like ever, so that statement is unbelievably false. NWA had Clash of the Champions, but that was on TBS, & not a PPV, it was just a special that aired on Thanksgiving night.

WWE will not bring in War Games, a couple reasons for this.

-It takes up too much space, inorder for them to set up the two rings & the cage they would need to eliminate a shit load of ring side seats, which also happen to be the most expensive tickets, why the fuck would WWE eliminate that revenue for one match? That would be stupid from a business stand point.

-They already have The Elimination Chamber, which is basically a variation of the War Games match already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back