• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A landmark judgement?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
BBC said:
A man who ran a music-sharing website with almost 200,000 members has been found not guilty of conspiracy to defraud at Teesside Crown Court.

Alan Ellis, 26, was the first person in the UK to be prosecuted for illegal file-sharing.

He operated the site, called Oink, from his flat in Middlesbrough from 2004 until it was closed down in a police raid in October 2007.

In that time Oink facilitated the download of 21 million music files.

A lot has been said on here about streams and file-sharing and I remember a couple of threads a while ago that covered this very subject and whether it was illegal to share files over the internet. Well, according to the British judicial system, it isn't. From the facts that have been put in front of me, I can tell that "Oink" was a pretty big company and service set up to make the finding of torrents that much easier.

For me, this is a huge verdict that will only further the cause of people in the UK that use file-sharing torrents. I do it, you do it. Hell, I think we all have at some point and now it seems as though a precedent has been set up. Make no mistake that every person who is charged with file-sharing "crimes" in the UK will be looking at this court case to defend themselves. It turns out that this guy had $200,000 in his PayPal account from people donating to his website. What you and I do is probably nowhere near that figure and so legal defences will be looking at this court case to defend people from now on.

So, my question is simple. Does this verdict make the transfer of files that much more accessible and accepted. I think it does and I think that with this verdict a lot of people are now not going to worry about how much they download. I think this is a landmark case indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back