A blue World Heavyweight Championship?

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
The current top prize for the WWE's Smackdown brand is the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Its design has been around since 2014. With the return of the brand split it would have made sense to make Smackdown's counterpart to Raw's Universal Championship have its brand's main color. Each of Raw's titles other than the Intercontinental Championship either have a red strap or in the case of the Raw Women's Championship, a red middle plate. Well, ok the Cruiserweight Championship doesn't either, but it's purple due to association with 205 Live. Anyway. Then on Smackdown they added blue straps to the new Tag Team Championships as well as a blue middle plate to the new Smackdown Women's Championship. Yet oddly enough the World Heavyweight Championship did not get any new straps or new middle plates. According to rumors that have been floating around, it almost did change.

I recently discovered an image of what was at one point the predicted new design for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, it would probably have taken on this design at or shortly after Summerslam 2016, which was when the Universal Championship first debuted. This design would have seen the belt take on a blue middle plate making it look a lot like the Smackdown Women's Championship only with a black strap instead of a white strap. It is possible that they did not go through with this plan as the Universal Championship did not get as good of a response as the WWE had been hoping for. I personally love the Universal Championship's design (as if my signature banner image did not give that away). I like this rumored design for the World Heavyweight Championship and think that they should have gone through with it. Not that I don't like the current design too, which I do, it has grown on me a ton since the belt first took on that look. I just think with the brand split in effect that adding blue in some way to the blue brand's top title would have made sense.

Here is an image of what it might have looked like.

whznmu.jpg

What do you think? Should the WWE have gone through with using a design that incorporates the color blue? Why or why not?

No spamming. Discuss! :)

No. I don't really like the red design as it is, but I guess at the same time it stands out and is fine in this scenario.

I think the WWE/WHC Title should remain black, because it's like the original top title, and in fact it still is in my eyes because the whole naming of the universal title is dumb, i don't like it at all. The bigger thing with it remaining black is that it separates it even more from the universal title and makes it feel even more special in my opinion, like it would be the top title on either brand. Whereas if the universal title went over to smackdown, it would likely be changed to blue.

It looks good. Very cool title and I wouldn't care if they changed it to that design. It suits the theme of every other belt and like I said before it looks cool. The only reason why I wouldn't change it is because it is still the championship that represents the past WWE/WWF title, even if it looks nothing like it. I just love the idea of the main championship and the WWE title still represents that for me. It makes all the sense in the world to do it, so I wouldn't care if they did but I still like the look this one has and that it kind of represents all the other main titles that has happened in the rich history of WWE.

WWE dropped the ball on this title. They buried it before its initial push even began. Damn you WWE!

In all fairness, the blue belt is pretty fresh and would work good in comparison to the Women's Title on Smackdown. I feel the WWE should have introduced the blue color because it truly shows the true champion of each brands since the straps are the brands color. Small detail but either, all the belts look good so if it changes it changes. The most important thing that needs to change on smackdown, is the writing but that's another story.

I’ve seen many concept designs for this idea. There was a version where everything red on the current design was simply switched to blue. There was the one pictured above. There was an all blue version with a black swoosh, to be the complete opposite of the Universal Championship Title Belt. There was an all blue version, with a blue swoosh.

I prefer the traditional black strap, hence my favorite designs are the Undisputed WWE World Championship Title Belt and the United Kingdom Championship Title Belt. With that being said, I think the WWE should have gone with the Raw is Red and Smackdown is Blue theme for the current set of Championship Title Belts. The way it is, I can’t visually accept that the top prize on Mondays and the top prize on Tuesdays are equal.

I've seen a lot of WWE title concepts, including this one, since the brand split and IF they were going to try to genuinely keep the "tension" between the brands up as a means of generating "competition" between them, then the blue pattern design behind the Big W would make sense. I think it would've injected a little bit of life into the title because, in my view, it's too dark. I've always felt there should be some sort of gold or silver background behind the WWE logo to counter so much black, but I'm ultimately okay with it.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't know that the differently colored straps are necessary whether it's the main event, tag team or women's titles. Kalisto posted a pic of the CW Championship with a black strap and it looks pretty damn great. http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...to-reveals-new-wwe-cruiserweight-title-photo/

As they did with the various ring accessories, they've done away with the purple strap for the title. I didn't really have a problem with the purple strap, but the black makes the gold and silver on the title pop.

I've seen a lot of WWE title concepts, including this one, since the brand split and IF they were going to try to genuinely keep the "tension" between the brands up as a means of generating "competition" between them, then the blue pattern design behind the Big W would make sense. I think it would've injected a little bit of life into the title because, in my view, it's too dark. I've always felt there should be some sort of gold or silver background behind the WWE logo to counter so much black, but I'm ultimately okay with it.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't know that the differently colored straps are necessary whether it's the main event, tag team or women's titles. Kalisto posted a pic of the CW Championship with a black strap and it looks pretty damn great. http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...to-reveals-new-wwe-cruiserweight-title-photo/

As they did with the various ring accessories, they've done away with the purple strap for the title. I didn't really have a problem with the purple strap, but the black makes the gold and silver on the title pop.

That was just a filter and lighting that cause it to appear black. It's still a purple strap.

I still hate the Corn Pops Cereal prize that was renamed The Universal Title. It's a dumb name IMO and the color makes it look a little silly. But, that blue WWE Heavyweight Championship looks nice, maybe darken the blue a little...but still sharp looking. Big Gold is still my favorite of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back