A bad Rehash...

dwith

Pre-Show Stalwart
But not from TNA,

Now this past monday with the Slammy's Vince McMahon rehashed David Arquette following a original bad idea from the end of WCW. I have to admit that even with David Arquette winning the heavy weight title back in the day was so much more interesting than his less than stellar, and horrible performance on WWE this week.

If Bischoff, and Hogan had done this this week in TNA instead of WWE, it would have gotten a hundred posts about how they rehash old storylines, and are desperate or starved for attention. Just a major bashing on TNA in general.

If their was a post on this then I apologize, cause I didn't see on.

So the David Arquette rehash I thought was worse than anything TNA has been doing, and backstage writer's and producers including Vince loved the segments and David's presence. It brought back many bad memories, and made lot's of new ones.

The WWE is pushing hard for more hollywood star power to be apart of their show's. They hired a hollywood actor to help produce their show's, and all of these senseless celebrity guest host's that doesn't make me want to tune in and watch. And of course WWE is trying to put all of their huge star's into movies and shove them down wrestling, and non-wrestling fan's throats. No wonder so many people have been turned off of wrestling. It's getting to be more like hollywood stageplay's than wrestling show's. IMO if their going to have celebrities on their show's they should at least save them just for PPV'S.

So my question is when is trying to be Hollywood and not a wrestling show going to far the business of wrestling... ?

Does anyone feel the same about the direction of WWE wrestling in general, or am I looking to much into this?

By the way I am a huge WRESTLING fan, of TNA, and WWE as long as their's wrestling involved.

Reactions: TLC
It was a smart marketing move by WWE (David Arquette is a very relevant subject right now), and all it did was make fun of something stupid that WCW did, it didn't rehash anything. They didn't throw the WWE title on him or anything like that.

I definitly agree. Why waste a match with Randy Orton vs. David Arquette and Alex Riley? I can see Riley, but Arquette makes no sense whatsoever. The only reason he was on there is to show everyone who owns WCW, in case TNA had any ideas.

As for the direction of the shows in relation to Hollywood, it actually helps a ton. If you hear your favorite band did the theme song for RAW or SD!, wouldn't you watch it to see how the song fits? If your favorite actor is going to be a guest host, wouldn't you watch it to see how he/she does on the show? Hollywood has always been a part of wrestling, like it or not. It doesn't appear often, and it doesn't always work when it appears, but when it works, it works great, such as Miss USA crowning Sheamus, which I thought was a nice little touch.

It was a smart marketing move by WWE (David Arquette is a very relevant subject right now), and all it did was make fun of something stupid that WCW did, it didn't rehash anything. They didn't throw the WWE title on him or anything like that.

Most of WWe's current fanbase are kids - how does someone who is staring in a grown up film (Scre4m) , who once held a belt in a federation they have never seen and is still most famous for being the husband of Monica from Friends appearing in the main event of a special 3 hour RAW a 'smart marketing move' (particularly as he appeared to be playing a heel Dewey?). His 'run' in WCW ended up with him riding the coattails of the cocky heel World Champion (Double J) while dressed in Wrestling apparel Rip Rogers wouldn't have been seen dead in, I don't think rehash is an unfair comparison.

I personally think Arquette did a great job on the show this past week! Not really sure how anyone wouldnt think so. Most definately a better job then Dennis Miller did at the last Slammy Awards

The guy got very good heat from the start of the show all the way to the end. Ripping on the fans & doing what a good heal does to get boo's to rain down on him. Plus- what other "celebrity" would take a powerbomb thru a fuckin table??

Who gives a shit if WCW was dumb enuff to put thier belt on him way back when. Vince wasnt rehashing a damn thing. If anything: maybe he was just reminding everyone why WCW failed in the 1st place?

Props to you David Arquette! Job well done Dewey!

Vince McMahon cares more about getting on TMZ than producing a decent product. I was thinking about this, & the best comparison I can come up with is that today's WWE is like rock music in the 70s-bloated, self indulgent, & completely uncool. TNA should become like punk rock-just the basics & bursting with energy. But TNA would rather be WWE lite-same type of stage, same type of characters, just with blood. The fact is, almost none of the guys who are currently main eventing in WWE would have done so during the attitude era. Undertaker would, b/c he did. But would Cena have gone over The Rock, Austin, & HHH? Kane wouldn't have, b/c he didn't. Orton? Maybe. The Miz? Of course not. The product is in a really bad place right now, but The Miz was on a shitty talk show, so Vince doesn't care.

Arquette was a good get for WWE. He had enough history to be a solid addition to a show like the Slammy's. Arquette, the former WCW champion, is enough of a wrestling fan that he could have been a decent contribution to the show. Him being from Hollywood is really irrelevant, because, well, when has Arquette ever been relevant in Hollywood? Arquette was good in that he drew legitimate heat, and Randy Orton looked stronger going into the PPV as a result of the handicap match with him and Riley vs Orton.

If, anything, WWE has been phasing out the guest host/star concept. It hasn't been a weekly thing, and there's been more weeks then not that they've actually gone without a guest host. They've downplayed their roles significantly, and have taken the "GM power" away from them. They've often been used as nothing more then a little bit of comic reilef, and that's it. Its not like the rediculousness of last year when they were all over the show, and wrestling matches on a weekly basis as well. This is the first time in awhile that one has actually wrestled a match, so I have no problem with this, since it wasn't Arquette's first go around.

I also fail to see what was re-hashed. Other then acknowledging Arquette was a former champion, its not like they paraded around like he was something special. Yeah, he competed, but its not like it was for a title, or he was made to look credible somehow in the ring. He was the one put through the table, so again, he looked like fodder for Orton, not like he was being pushed down our throats. He was fine in the small doses they used him.

Arquette was a good get for WWE. He had enough history to be a solid addition to a show like the Slammy's. Arquette, the former WCW champion, is enough of a wrestling fan that he could have been a decent contribution to the show. Him being from Hollywood is really irrelevant, because, well, when has Arquette ever been relevant in Hollywood? Arquette was good in that he drew legitimate heat, and Randy Orton looked stronger going into the PPV as a result of the handicap match with him and Riley vs Orton.

I also fail to see what was re-hashed. Other then acknowledging Arquette was a former champion, its not like they paraded around like he was something special. Yeah, he competed, but its not like it was for a title, or he was made to look credible somehow in the ring. He was the one put through the table, so again, he looked like fodder for Orton, not like he was being pushed down our throats. He was fine in the small doses they used him.

I'm really not sure what point you're making here to be honest. If Arquette hasn't been relevant in Hollywood, then why was he relevant for WWE? Because he became one of the lowest points in WCW a decade ago? If you could explain that then maybe I'd understand what your point is.

Also, you say that Orton looks stronger heading into a PPV after beating Arquette and Riley in your first paragraph, then in your last paragraph say that he was just fodder for Orton. Fodder doesn't make anyone look stronger, strong yes, but not any stronger than before. Especially if it's a guest host who isn't taken seriously in either his normal career path or his hobby with wrestling.

I agree it wasn't a rehash, and that he COULD have been a good addition, but I honestly thought he was just taking the piss more than anything.

I honestly don't see this as a reason to argue or even debate. Raw's guest host "angle" has been downplayed for quite some time, and Arquette is the first to actually wrestle in a hot minute.

The dude (Arquette) has a huge movie coming out soon, and lots of people remember him from WCW/Ready To Rumble. Like it or not, the guy is relevent at the moment, and is AT LEAST semi-relevent in the world of pro wrestling as a whole. His participation in Raw wasn't that bad.

If you're going to nitpick the current WWE product, that's fine. There's definitely room and reason for it. But let's get serious for a minute. The addition of David Arquette to a single/one off episode of Raw is nothing to get riled up about. It happened and it's over now. That's the long & short of it. Why, of all things, would THIS be the thing that sets you off?

Really? Now we are bitching about David Arquette being on RAW,maybe 2 or 3 Segments then the Match itself? I really don't know why people have to complain about the little things that happen in WWE. Now I agree if that was TNA doing it and they him running all over the Show for 2 Hrs straight yeah we could be up and arms about it.

It worked didn't? Got the New Orleans Fans all riled up on him and even King got some verbal cheap shots on him.

Another thing for anyone who says Vince doesn't care anymore is bullshit. Whats wrong with WWE trying to get into the Mainstream a little bit more?

I don't think it was a bad move at all. Sure, when I first saw him on tv, I was like "Oh, hell no. Tell me they did not just do that". But when I saw him on there, he was used in the right capacity and didn't take anything away from the show. He wasn't showcased as any kind of legitimate threat, just an annoying little dude w/a big mouth. (And I'm sure we all know plenty of those.) But again, it actually worked out the way they did it, and it probably should have been done that way in WCW back in the day.

(On a side note, I found it quite odd that they nominated Mae Young for beating LayCool for a slammy, then they announce the winner to be LayCool for beating Mae Young. WTF???? King even made a quick comment about it. At least Arquette's appearance on the show made more sense than this did...)

If Bischoff, and Hogan had done this this week in TNA instead of WWE, it would have gotten a hundred posts about how they rehash old storylines, and are desperate or starved for attention. Just a major bashing on TNA in general.

Agreed. I am a WWE fan, can't stand TNA, but David Arquette was ridiculous. When they actually announced him as a former WCW World champion, a little part of my soul died. Having David Arquette on the show was a terrible, terrible idea. I don't care what he is promoting, the WWE should NEVER have even acknowledged that Arquette was a former WCW champion, and certainly not have involved him in any storylines. Arquette is the kind of guy that you would bring up to taunt the opposition. IE, if Arquette was a former TNA champion, the WWE could have brought it up (despite their non-acknowledgement of other organizations) as a way to insult TNA, by pointing out the high caliber of their "champions". But, considering that the WWE owns the entire WCW brand, perhaps reminding people that Arquette was a champion, and how scripted pro wrestling really is might not be a good plan. Yeah, the WWE acknowledges wrestling is scripted. Even calls it entertainment. But reminding people about Arquette was really stupid. Why go there at all?

I may be a WWE fan, but when they do something as utterly asinine as bringing back David Arquette, I have no problems calling them out on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back