Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner

80's Region - 4th Round - Cheers vs The Simpsons

Cheers_S11_Still_PK_EP248-00033019.jpg

VS

Whois16.gif

This might be a moot point. But I'm going to do my best to give Cheers the boost it deserves.

Cheers is such a great show. Why you may ask? Numerous reasons. Which I will list here. Lists are great, by the way.

1) Loveable Characters

Sure The Simpsons have a few, but Cheers has a select few and they make their characters count.

Sam Malone - Former Red Sox pitcher turned bar owner. Alcoholic who is a commitment phobe. Very witty, charming, and always seems to be a mediator of sorts. He's also damn funny.

NORM! Petersen - Norm is Homer Simpson's inspiration. Bet you didn't know that. Well he is. Norm is lovable, funny, and a drunk. He's in that damn bar everyday. But it wouldn't be Cheers without him.

Cliff Claven - A book of knowledge and a dedicated mailman. His home life is funny and so is he. Notice a pattern here?

Carla - A little spitfire barmaid who takes shit from no one! One of the most underrated characters in TV history. She made her scenes count and was very funny.

Woody/Coach - I list them both because they played the same role. Coach was great. He was older school and many of the older gentlemen who watched the show. It was said when he passed away. However, Woody comes in, as a corn fed native of Indiana, who's naive to the ways of the world, yet is a bartender in Boston. Can't get any better than that.

Diane Chambers - The woman was the object of Sam Malone's affection. She was strong willed, a little bit snobbish, but carried every scene she was in. She was great and her character made that show even more successful.

Rebecca Howe - Her character was, well, different from Diane. She was a little more loose than Diane, but was as strong willed and seen through Sam's advances. Although she surrendered to temptation on occasion, she was a great part of the cast.

This show had enduring characters. It didn't need a smorgasbord of characters to be unique. It used what it had.

2) The setting

The sitcom was set in a BAR! How can anyone NOT love that? The majority of the show took place inside a tavern in Boston. It was unique for its time and in some cases, ahead of its time. When the show came out in the early 80's on NBC, it was a little racy. Which leads me to number 3.

3) Pushing the envelope

The show made no bones about being for adults. It was set in a bar, had sexual themes, and discussed some rather tawdry topics for its time. Some even say that it was one of the first shows to catch the eye of the FCC. It was never punished, but was one of the first shows to get that reputation of being targeted towards adults. It was ahead of its time.

So do yourself a favor, vote Cheers. Simpsons is great, but Cheers doesn't get the recognition it deserves. And without Cheers, you wouldn't have Homer Simpson. What up?

VOTE CHEERS!

I have no idea which show to pick here. I would not vote here, instead, I would abstain. But instead, I will vote for Cheers here because I doubt that this younger crowd knows the show or will give it the attention it deserves against The Simpsons, the quissesntial show of our lives.

Vote The Simpsons here.

The Simpsons has everything a tv show needs and it caters to so many different people. Each character brings something to the show that brings it together. You ask people who their favourite character is and alot of the answers won't even be from the The Simpson Family. The supporting characters are represented very well and are given depth that make people love and hate them. Sure the focus is The Simpsons, but without the supporting cast, the show would have ended years ago.

This show has impacted the culture that we live in and also some of the newer shows we watch today. Do not dismiss it because it's a cartoon, but rather accept it for what it is, a cultural institution. How many tv shows can claim they have been around for 20+ seasons? How many shows can claim relevancy after 5+ seasons, let alone 20+? The Simpsons has done what many shows have not done and it has done it while being a cartoon show, which in an of itself is impressive.

Do the right thing, vote The Simpsons.

You could go either way. Cheers was pretty consistently good in my opinion, whereas the Simpsons has gone from ok to brilliant to diabollical over the period of its run. I think basically, because the good of Simpsons was so good, I have to vote it over a show that never really got me wanting to tune in every time it was on.

No!!!!!!!! Another match of two great shows that deserve to advance in the tournament!!!!

I have to go with Cheers here because unlike The Simpsons it was fantastic during its entire run. I know that The Simpsons has been around 2 decades and was one of the likely winners of this tournament, but this is where its winning streak ends. Cheers is a much better show and I give it my vote. I'm happy with either show winning this round however.

I have to go with the simpsons here because it is one of my favourite shows of all time. Another reason is because with the simpsons you have so many different characters. Yes some of them have only appeared once or twice but I personally think if it wasnt for the variety of characters the Simpsons wouldnt be at the same level they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back