Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner

80's Region - 3rd Round - The Simpsons vs Family Ties

the_simpsons-12664.jpg

VS

Family-Ties-tv-05.jpg

Yeah I'll be voting The Simpsons. I've said it every time, but I believe this show deserves to win this tournament. There is so much to this show that makes it more than just another cartoon. I understand that people lost love for this show because it has went downhill, but after 20+ seasons you can't expect great episode after great episode. The Simpsons has had more solid seasons that probably all of the shows in this tournament and the fact that a cartoon has remained relevant for this long tells you something about it.

Do the right thing, vote The Simpsons.

SON OF A BITCH!

Guys. I know the Simpsons are favorites to win this whole damn thing (and if it does, boy I'm going to riot). But lest not forget what Family Ties is all about. I'm not going to give you an epic post like Gelgarin did as far as why Thesz goes over Sting. I have no time for it and I'm watching a movie. But I'll give you some bullet points as to why Family Ties should beat the Simpsons.

1) Characters. When you think of The Simpsons, you either think of Bart or Homer. Rarely has someone said they thought of Maggie, or Mr. Burns, or Principal Skinner. What do those characters have in common? They're satirical. Just meant to be humorous and do some zany, off the wall things. That's fine. But Family Ties was all about a son who was brilliant, had a great mind, and was totally against his family's stance on things such as politics and life. Alex P. Keaton was a kid who aspired to change the world. His family just wanted to live their lives. Alex was Republican. His family were hippie Liberals with free spirits. It was a mesh of political backgrounds and ways of life... from a son and his parents. And it wasn't rebellion in that Alex ran away from home, or did drugs, or slapped his mom. He rebelled by trying to prove that his methods were right. Sometimes they were. Sometimes they were not. But one thing's for sure. That show left a lasting impression on a LOT of people.

2) Lessons learned. The old addage on 80's sitcoms were to have an episode where person does something bad, tries to hide it, it's found out, and in the end the kid learns a lesson as to how to handle said situation or issue from now on. The Simpsons has no point. There I said it. Other than to make you laugh, it serves no real episodic purpose. No lesson was learned. Unless you wanted to learn how to torment teachers or poke fun at religion. Family Ties was a wholesome show that was about life. It was about the rights and wrongs and trials and tribulations of a family just being normal, working five day a week jobs and the kids going to school. It was also about how even if a family is as mixed as the Keatons, they can still love each other. No matter what.

3) It's NOT ANIMATED! The Simpsons is a cartoon. Family Ties is not.

There you have it. It might not help matters. But it can't make things any worse.

At first I thought this would be a tough pick, but then after thinking a little longer about it.... I picked The Simpsons because it has been making me laugh for 2 entire decades. It isn't as good now as it used to be, but I still find it to be entertaining. Family Ties was great.... but it just cannot stand up to The Simpsons, which could quite possibly win this entire tournament.

You know, I’ve never seen Family Ties and I love The Simpsons but I won’t be voting in the round because it would be the unfair thing to do. Maybe later I’ll watch a few episodes of Family Ties and see if I like it better than the Simpsons. If I do that then I’ll cast a vote, but I didn’t come in this thread to just say that. I’ve read the posts in this thread thus far and I want to point something out which I thought was a ridiculous and stupid reason to vote for Family Ties over the Simpsons if you’ve seen both shows.

3) It's NOT ANIMATED! The Simpsons is a cartoon. Family Ties is not.

Who gives a fuck? Excuse my French but that’s not really a good a reason to vote Family Ties over The Simpsons. Shows can be animated and still be great and funny. Want an example? Well…the show Family Ties is facing here: The Simpsons. The Simpsons is much better than a ton of shows that AREN’T animated so I don’t think anyone should vote Family Ties over it just because of that reason. If a show is animated or not, it really shouldn’t matter.

You know, I’ve never seen Family Ties and I love The Simpsons but I won’t be voting in the round because it would be the unfair thing to do. Maybe later I’ll watch a few episodes of Family Ties and see if I like it better than the Simpsons. If I do that then I’ll cast a vote, but I didn’t come in this thread to just say that. I’ve read the posts in this thread thus far and I want to point something out which I thought was a ridiculous and stupid reason to vote for Family Ties over the Simpsons if you’ve seen both shows.

Who gives a fuck? Excuse my French but that’s not really a good a reason to vote Family Ties over The Simpsons. Shows can be animated and still be great and funny. Want an example? Well…the show Family Ties is facing here: The Simpsons. The Simpsons is much better than a ton of shows that AREN’T animated so I don’t think anyone should vote Family Ties over it just because of that reason. If a show is animated or not, it really shouldn’t matter.

I was half joking, but at the same time I was kinda serious. Animated shows and actual live sitcoms are a different animal all together. The logistics are obvious. But a live show in front of an audience is much more intimate than having cartoons do slapstick comedy. Which is what the Simpsons do most of the time. And I like how you can only name one example of a funny animated comedy. And it was The Simpsons. Family Guy's alright, but not near as funny as the Simpsons.

Just go watch Family Ties. If you like it, then vote. If not, The Simpsons is fine, too. I'm just saying that to me, live sitcoms will always trump animated shows.

2 Decades of laughter, and even when it was at it's worst point, it was still good. You know why? Becuase it's the FUCKING SIMPSONS MOTHERFUCKER. Sorry for the cursing, but how anyone can vote against the Simpsons is a crazy pscho nut-job (no offense Lariat, still love you). The Simpsons is one of the only shows that can still be acceptable, just because of what it is. How can you not love that?

The Simpsons. All the way.

The Simpsons appear to be dominating once again, which is kind of scary. Don't get me wrong, I'm voting for them here, as I think it's the better show than Family Ties. It may be overrated by many on here, but it's still a damn good show and it's impossible not to love it. However, is it the best sitcom of all time? I agree with some of Lariat's points that the Simpsons had no point and wasn't really into the character development and think we she be careful as to how big of a monster we make here.

The Simpsons, hands down. Family Ties was a good little show, but it's just not in the same league as the Simpsons was and are. The Simpsons in it's prime was one of the best comedy shows television has ever seen, there wasn't a better comedy show on TV in the 90s.

Easy vote for the Simpsons here. I get the feeling the show might just win this whole thing.

Obviously the Simpson's and it's not even close. Family Ties was a good show and I'm a big fan of fellow Canadian Michael J. Fox. But come on, it's the Simpson's we're talking about here. Who cares about character development in a sitcom, animated or otherwise? Plus I disagree with the idea that people only think of Bart and Homer when they think of the Simpsons. After 20 years of being a big fan, I think about numerous characters including Mr. Burns, Barney, Moe, and countless others. I say the Simpson's likely wins this tournament, with likely only one show which could give it a run for its money. Mr. Lariato knows who that is.

Family Ties was never THAT good, and the Simpsons is now even worse. But as a child, the Simpsons was incredible, one of my favourite animate series ever. The show has been on for 20 years!, that is 20 years of great television, and that in itself is a great feat.

I'm going to have to vote for the simpsons here because I never really watched Family Ties. I watched a couple of episodes and that's it never really took off for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back