Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
50's / 60's Region - The Lucy Show vs I Dream of Jeannie

Lucyintro.jpg

VS

barbara-eden-i-dream-of-jeannie-c10103983.jpeg

You know, all I remember was I Love Lucy. I'm sure I've seen plenty of episodes from The Lucy Show, but I Love Lucy is the show I remember it being called when I was a kid.

Anyway, I hated I Dream of Jennie. I thought it was just boring and flat out ridiculous. Nothing about the show entertained me.

Now, I wouldn't consider myself a fan of I Love Lucy, either, but I've seen dozens of episodes (my aunt was a huge fan of the show), and at least it had its moments. Like I said, I don't remember it ever being called The Lucy Show, but since it's obviously a spin-off or follow up to I Love Lucy, a show I could tolerate, then I'll vote for it since I'm sure I would enjoy this much more than I could ever enjoy I Dream of Jennie.

Whether it is I Love Lucy or the Lucy Show, it is gonna trump I Dream of Jeannie. Lucille Ball is hilarious and her shows were always a favorite of mine. I could sit down anytime and watch any of her shows. That is how funny she is in my opinion.

Whoa whoa WHOA. Slow down here.

I Love Lucy is not the same thing as The Lucy Show. The Lucy Show was the followup to I Love Lucy. It began in 1960-61 and ran for 5 years, never being out of the top 10 in the rankings. Lucy was a widow, Vivian Vance was on the show for awhile but not as a regular for the final few seasons, and parts of it were filmed in color. There was no Ricky or Fred and she lived in California. Completely different show.

Two strategies I can see of, I Love Lucy alone, or with its spin off The Lucy Show. Power by numbers, or full support behind one show.

If I were to take The Lucy Show, which is not that great compared to the original, a better show than I Dream of Jeannie has to do it. I say lets eliminate the two towers or terrible now, and take out I Dream of Jeanie and Bewitched. The Lucy Show, was not as good as I Love Lucy, but was a lot better than Bewitched.

I actually PREFERRED The Lucy Show OVER I Love Lucy, which is why I appreciate KB setting them apart. Two completely different shows. The interactions between Lucy and her boss at the bank, Mr. Mooney, set the stage for the interactions between Mary Tyler Moore and Lou Grant, which was the definitive female worker / male boss interaction in sitcome history.

I Dream of Jeannie was a rip off (IMO) of Bewitched, because the supernatural opened more doors in comedy. Sadly, I felt IDOJ failed, and despite people drooling over her, I thought the girl who played Jeannie was a dog. I'd have taken Barbara Feldon (Agent 99), Julie Newmar (Catwoman) and the woman who played Samantha on Bewitched LONG before the chick from IDOJ.

Lucy Show FTW.

I Dream of Jeanie gets this, whether it's I Love Lucy or Lucy Show. It was such a funny show. Larry Hagman was great as the astronaut. It catapulted him into one of the most iconic characters in TV history in JR Ewing on Dallas, and without this show, he might not have gotten that chance. And Jeanie didn't hurt matters either. I watched this show all the time on TBS when I was little and actually miss the show a little bit.

Dream of Jeanie. All day.

Had this been I Love Lucy, it would have won (for me), and won big. I absolutely love that show. The Lucy Show was OK, but a lot of its success was based on fans carrying over from the original.

I Dream Of Jeannie never failed to make me laugh, and as a kid, it was always on. I'm pretty sure I've seen just about every episode, and I could sit through them all again,

The ability to rewatch a show can do wonders for it in this tournament...

I Love Lucy is widely considered the greatest sitcom of all time. The Lucy Show was a success, but not nearly as iconic. While I largely agree with the assessment that I Dream of Jeannie is something of a Bewitched knock-off, it holds up on its own merits.

Since this is The Lucy Show and not I Love Lucy, I'm giving Barbara Eden the nod here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back