3D Gaming & Televisions

SalvIsWin

Scientific Skeptic
Killzone 3 was officially announced, which wasn't surprising seeing as how the last one sold, but what is a surprise is that the game will be available in 3D. Yes that is correct, with the glasses and the proper television, you can enjoy Killzone 3 in high definition and 3D, sounds awesome right?

I am utterly disgusted with this move to be perfectly honest. This console generation was clearly about high definition. The marketing of high definition games, high definition movies, high definition television, it was all there. However less than five years after spending millions upon millions upon millions of dollars convincing consumers to spend their money on a high definition television, they are beginning to push towards 3D.

I have the same disgusted feelings with Apple to be frank, and I draw comparisons between that company and this situation. Apple will purposely withhold announcing their newest products because they know it will hurt the sales of their current products. Did you just buy an IPhone? That's too bad, because we are now announcing the upgraded IPhone, all the features of the old IPhone, with a smaller and sleeker frame, bundled with some impressive new technology for the same price as the old model; better upgrade now. I know it's good business, but I feel that not enough people are realizing how thoroughly shafted they are getting on a regular basis when it comes to these situations.

There is no way I would pay even more money for a 3D capable television when I was just recently convinced to buy an HD television. I know that companies are about profits, but there is a fine line between maximizing profits and attempting to consistently pull fast ones over on loyal fanbases in an attempt to squeeze every last dollar out of them that they can.

Your thoughts?

The problem with the whole promoting of improved hardware that you're talking about, is that it's happening everywhere, you constantly see new computers to the same prices, or cheaper than the old ones, with better improvements, it's nothing new to be seeing Apple doing the promotion of a better Iphone, I have to admit I find it to be a good move, because it keeps the marked going, something that is always needed, why keep the old Iphone for years and years, without upgrading it? people is gonna get bored of it, and Apple won't make money off from it.

Some people are always gonna be hungering after the need for better things, eventually we're gonna realize that, taking computers as an example again, we're gonna be seeing new games being released, cause that's definitely needed, eventually we're gonna be needing a better computer to run it, the same goes for Iphones, the same goes for televisions, I feel the need to be constantly able, and aware of the need to improve in the world of technology.

So I'm just fine with it, sure it's annoying that we have to invest in something new just because the old version doesn't support it, it's the exact same thing of having to upgrade to an Xbox 360, PS3, upgrade your computer hardware, purchase a new television because they removed the analog television etc.

What I'm saying is, technology is constantly on the move, it's needed to keep the world interested in a product, if they're not interested, and they refrain from upgrading in some kind of way, they'll be bankrupt eventually.

The problem with the whole promoting of improved hardware that you're talking about, is that it's happening everywhere, you constantly see new computers to the same prices, or cheaper than the old ones, with better improvements, it's nothing new to be seeing Apple doing the promotion of a better Iphone, I have to admit I find it to be a good move, because it keeps the marked going, something that is always needed, why keep the old Iphone for years and years, without upgrading it? people is gonna get bored of it, and Apple won't make money off from it.

Some people are always gonna be hungering after the need for better things, eventually we're gonna realize that, taking computers as an example again, we're gonna be seeing new games being released, cause that's definitely needed, eventually we're gonna be needing a better computer to run it, the same goes for Iphones, the same goes for televisions, I feel the need to be constantly able, and aware of the need to improve in the world of technology.

So I'm just fine with it, sure it's annoying that we have to invest in something new just because the old version doesn't support it, it's the exact same thing of having to upgrade to an Xbox 360, PS3, upgrade your computer hardware, purchase a new television because they removed the analog television etc.

What I'm saying is, technology is constantly on the move, it's needed to keep the world interested in a product, if they're not interested, and they refrain from upgrading in some kind of way, they'll be bankrupt eventually.

I feel that this is different. Apple doesn't change the format of the MP3's they make available via iTunes so that only their newest products will be able to play them, you are completely unaffected by not purchasing their newest product. If you were fine with the old IPod's you never had to switch over, they were never trying to force your hand, all the devices play music, they are simply giving you more options. Continuously redeveloping their old products is still shady business in my opinion, but this is completely different.

The same goes for computer games. You don't actually have to buy a new computer for quite a while, old graphics cards can handle newer games, you will simply have to play them at a lower resolution or with lower graphical settings. Whether the graphical settings you play at are the maximum that game can produce, or the lowest that game can produce has no bearing on you, because that is the setting you would be playing at regardless. You are only affected when your computer can no longer run games entirely, but that is few and far between so it is acceptable.

3D gaming technology is simply unavailable to you. Sony & the Killzone developers are essentially saying that you're missing out on the experience because you don't own this hardware, even though their recent marketing just convinced millions of people to buy HDTV's, but those are obsolete now if you want to play the newest games. It's ridiculous in my opinion and I think a lot of people are feeling burned by this move. Yes you can still play the game, but their marketing was a blatant bait-and-switch maneuver; convincing people to buy HD televisions when they knew full well that they were planning on developing another avenue of gaming, which is 3D.

I feel that this is different. Apple doesn't change the format of the MP3's they make available via iTunes so that only their newest products will be able to play them, you are completely unaffected by not purchasing their newest product. If you were fine with the old IPod's you never had to switch over, they were never trying to force your hand, all the devices play music, they are simply giving you more options. Continuously redeveloping their old products is still shady business in my opinion, but this is completely different.

That may very well be true, but the extra features should be enough for you to want to buy it, it's the same thing with computers, it's the same things with televisions (with the exception of the fact that I believe you can't watch proper television anymore without a DVB-C tuner or one of those boxes) you don't need to upgrade them, because they're just fine as they are, but you upgrade anyway because of the new features, because of the small yet almost insignificant features, you don't do it immediately, unless your hardware is already old, but then it's not really immediately upgrading, either way, you upgrade to enjoy the improvement and extra features, which is the reason for the manufacturers to do that, and to make money, which they'd need to be able to put out the product we enjoy in our every day life in the first place.

The same goes for computer games. You don't actually have to buy a new computer for quite a while, old graphics cards can handle newer games, you will simply have to play them at a lower resolution or with lower graphical settings. Whether the graphical settings you play at are the maximum that game can produce, or the lowest that game can produce has no bearing on you, because that is the setting you would be playing at regardless. You are only affected when your computer can no longer run games entirely, but that is few and far between so it is acceptable.

Sure you don't need to upgrade your computer instantly with video games, but eventually you will have to upgrade in some manner, be it upgrading the operative system, be it upgrading the RAM to support the game (or the operative system) the list really goes on of things that eventually will have to be upgraded to play specific games.

And yes the time between that happening is acceptable, but eventually the upgrade will be there, while as I said, it's nothing immediate, it's still something we have to take care of eventually, the computer can get old at some point as well, it can break etc.

And sure it's stuff you have to deal with every day, a television, an Iphone etc. can break as well, so upgrading will always be there, lurking so to say.

3D gaming technology is simply unavailable to you. Sony & the Killzone developers are essentially saying that you're missing out on the experience because you don't own this hardware, even though their recent marketing just convinced millions of people to buy HDTV's, but those are obsolete now if you want to play the newest games. It's ridiculous in my opinion and I think a lot of people are feeling burned by this move. Yes you can still play the game, but their marketing was a blatant bait-and-switch maneuver; convincing people to buy HD televisions when they knew full well that they were planning on developing another avenue of gaming, which is 3D.

Just as I said about the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3, it's stuff you simply need to upgrade to in order to experience it, if you want it bad enough, you'll upgrade, there's really no big deal in that, it's something people have to deal with every day, the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are two of the most popular gaming consoles on the marked, so it's just showing that people have adapted to it and accepted it.

Yes the marketing was a move in order to make people buy their newer products, but again, it's happening every day, so it's nothing new, it's just a new company stepping into the whole ordeal, and sure it can be annoying to have to deal with it now, but eventually, it's an inevitable fact that we'll be dealing with complete rounds of 3D technology that would need us to purchase the television either way, or as Microsoft has done, eliminated the availability of the regular Xbox, the availability of Windows XP (unless you buy a downgrade version) etc. so it's really nothing new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back