2016 Pro Wrestling Illustrated Awards

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Pro Wrestling Illustrated announced the winners of its annual awards for 2016 and, as usual, there'll be a mix of praise, criticism and possibly even confusion as to why fans voted the way they did.

PWI Wrestler of the Year - AJ Styles
PWI Tag Team of the Year - New Day
PWI Match of the Year - SummerSlam: John Cena vs. AJ Styles
PWI Feud of the Year - Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year - Shinsuke Nakamura
PWI Most Hated Wrestler of the Year - Roman Reigns
PWI Comeback of the Year - Goldberg
PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year - The Miz
PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year - Bayley
PWI Rookie of the Year - Nia Jax
PWI Woman of the Year - Charlotte Flair

I haven't seen any listing for the Lifetime Achievement Award, but I'm sure it'll be announced within the next week.

It's been reported that AJ Styles was voted WOTY by a landslide with over 51% of the votes and it's hard to argue against Styles.

New Day repeated as TTOTY, some will agree and some will disagree.

Cena vs. Styles at SummerSlam is a genuinely strong candidate and was my overall pick.

The FOTY award going to Charlotte vs. Sasha opened a ton of doors for women in WWE during the year, so it definitely is deserving in my opinion.

Shinsuke Nakamura winning the MPWOTY award is no huge surprise.

Roman Reigns won the Most Hated Wrestler of the Year award, I actually laughed a little because I couldn't help but think that Reigns is probably never going to get the sort of babyface reaction Vince wants.

The COTY award going to Goldberg is understandable to some degree. Goldberg beat Brock Lesnar in 86 seconds and he hadn't wrestled a match in some 12 years. While it may not have been exactly accurate or fitting the category in terms of a "comeback" as some perceive it, I'd have gone with the Miz as he had probably the best year of his career and easily the strongest since he was WWE Champion.

The Most Improved Wrestler of the Year award going to Miz was a good call. As I said, he had the best year of his career and was a fantastic heel Intercontinental Champion who upped his game and made the most out of the opportunity he had in 2016.

Bayley repeated as Most Inspirational Wrestler, though I'm not sure if being liked for being sweet & loveable is the same as "inspirational" though I've no complaints.

Nia Jax as Rookie of the Year is...well I dunno really. She genuinely fits the mold of a rookie considering she's only been in wrestling for about 1.5 years and she has gotten over pretty well as the big monster of the Women's Division.

Charlotte winning as Woman of the Year is the truest no brainer of any award on the list.

Not surprise about who won those award since it's not the casual fans that voted for these award so those results so who that demographic like or dislike this year.

When you look at the result. Styles made sense as wrestler of the year

New day as tag team of the year make sense even if their booking was horrible and had more worst of moments then prety anybody on the wwe roster this year

Match of the year could have gone to any big time match wwe had this year and went to cena vs aj which was an awesome match

Feud of the year kinda surprise me since it seems like fans bought into the propaganda that wwe sold them with this feud because they had some way better feud during the year then sasha vs charlotte.

Most popular is kinda weird also since it shows who voted for these awards because I wouldn't considered shinsuke as the most popular wrestler.

Same goes for the most hated. It shows who voted for these awards

The rest of the awards make sense even the rookie of the year in a way since nia is pretty much the only rookie that has gotten some sort of good exposure on te main roster.

In the end, this are fans awards which pretty means nothing because that who the hardcore fans think are the best of the year and it doesn't mean as much as they use to mean back in the day when bill apter was giving those award.

I agree with most of their list although they did get a couple of them wrong so I'll share thoughts on each category and who they picked.

Wrestler of the Year - AJ Styles
Agreed here. Styles had a (no pun intended) phenominal first year in the WWE. Surprise debut at the Rumble, great feud with Jericho, surprisingly good feud with Reigns, the feud of the year with John Cena, and a solid WWE Championship reign. That's all in just one year. Few others even come close.

Tag Team of the Year - New Day
Absolutely agreed. The record breaking title reign and all their silly antics long the way made New Day stand out amongst all other teams.

Match of the Year - Summerslam: John Cena vs AJ Styles
If we're talking main roster WWE only, then.... It could very well be this one. This was everything you could want from a match, however, the true best match of the year was Sami VS Nakamura at Takeover Dallas. That match was nearly perfect. A very close second was DIY VS The Revival at Takeover Toronto. As awesome as Cena VS Styles at Summerslam was, the best it could possibly be ranked this year is #3.

Feud of the Year - Sasha Banks vs Charlotte Flair
I'm fine with this. It did make history and was entertaining. My personal vote would still go to Cena VS Styles though.

Most Popular Wrestler of the Year - Shinsuke Nakamura
Sure. Why not.

Most Hated Wrestler of the Year - Roman Reigns
Other than Ellsworth no one else could have won this. WWE, turn him heel already!

Comeback of the Year - Goldberg
No major arguments there.

Most Improved Wrestler of the Year - The Miz
While I can't stand the guy I can see why they went with him. 2016 was Miz's best year.

Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year - Bayley
Another good choice.

Rookie of the Year - Nia Jax
No. 100% disagreed. Nia did absolutely nothing this year. The Rookie of the Year was Alexa Bliss. In NXT all she had done was manage a team that sucks and had a few failed attempts at the NXT Women's Championship. She went from that, to a seemingly early main roster promotion, to establishing herself as one of the very best of the blue brand's female roster and winning the Smackdown Women's Championship. How can they pick Nia over her? Makes no sense.

Woman of the Year - Charlotte Flair
Makes sense to go with Charlotte here. She remained dominant and entertaining during the entirety of 2016.

Considering this is the fan's voting, you could argue one way or another for other choice, but I think on the whole watching the shows and gauging fan reaction, this list is pretty much on point.

Had one of the best debuts ever in the WWE. Made an impact (no pun inteded) immediately, and was consistent all year long. Hopefully he rides into Mania in April as champ cause he deserves it.

Not much you can argue here. They entertained us all year while breaking Demolitions record. Unlike some record breaking attempts they actually defending the titles quite a bit which is rather refreshing.

Match of the Year - SummerSlam: John Cena vs. AJ Styles

This was depending on who you speak too. There were three MOTY this year to pick from. Zayn/Nakamura at Takever Dallas or DIY/The Revival at Takeover Toronto, and Cena/Styles. At least one of them won.

Feud of the Year - Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair

Yea they feuded most of the year and there were lot's of first's for the Women's division. First HIAC and Ironman match so I'm okay with this choice.

If you watch NXT he is clearly head and shoulders above the rest. I can't wait for his debut on the main roster. The pop should be electric when the violins music starts.

See I thought they meant "Most Hated" as in heel wrestlers. This brings it to a whole new level of dislike then. Ellsworth would be a suitable candidate, but if the boo's are anything to go by, maybe it just isn't a passing phase, maybe the WWE Universe really doesn't like Roman Reigns.

Can anyone argue this one.

Most definitely. Just the fact that he's not really interested the main title says it all. He elevated the IC to the same level Cena did with the US Title. Give that man the award.

Don't really get this category but okay.

Alexa Bliss should have won this one. She is the SD Women's champ and came out of nowhere. Nia Jax while being a monster just comes out and squashes people. No Alexa wins this hands down or maybe Strowman will fight her for it.

The Queen of the PPV's has done it again. Can't argue with this one either. She's had a hell of year and looks to be getting better as she mows through the roster. Can't wait to see what happens in her feud with Bayley.

I agree with most

Absolutely. Debuting at the Rumble, and having a remarkable year, there is no doubt.

Who? Who? Who? Francesca #2 needs to swear them in for this award.

Match of the Year - SummerSlam: John Cena vs. AJ Styles

I personally am in the minority and think that Ambrose/Styles/McMahon/Orton/Wyatt vs Rollins/Reigns/Jericho/Owens/Stowman at Survivor Series was an absolute amazing match and deserves consideration here
Feud of the Year - Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair

Makes Sense.

Sure.

Kind of harsh to name a face as most hated , but have to agree with it. Come on, turn him heel.

Is there any other option.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Titus O'Neil, for what he does for charity. I don't understand this category.

Braun Strowman is the ROTY, closely followed by Alexa Bliss. Nia Jax is below James Ellsworth In my Opinion.

Yep.

My only complaint would be with Rookie Of The Year. Except that, I can see why other awards were given to the particular wrestlers.

But Nia Jax as Rookie Of The Year? That's incredibly wrong. Has she accomplished anything yet? Nopes. She hasn't even won the NxT Title. She was busy squashing jobbers while Sasha and Charlotte were having the feud of the year.

The Rookie Of The Year wasn't Braun Strowman either. He has been on main roster since 2015 so that proves that he can't be even nominated for it.

Rookie Of The Year is Alexa Bliss. Was called up to main roster in 2016 due to brand split. Upped her in-ring work and mic work and is now the Smackdown Women Champion. That says it all.

I admit that I forgot about Alexa Bliss, so shame on me. She does a great job as a heel on the blue brand, she's especially great at using her facial expressions to sell and she's capable of a lot more inside the ring.

It's been reported that Roman Reigns is the first babyface in history to win the Most Hated award, garnering some 25% of the vote so it wasn't a landslide. The various runners up were announced earlier this morning:

1st Runner Up- Roman Reigns
2nd Runner Up- Kevin Owens
3rd Runner Up- Dean Ambrose

PWI Tag Team of the Year- New Day
1st Runner Up- The Young Bucks
2nd Runner Up- Enzo Amore & Big Cass
3rd Runner Up- The Revival

1st Runner Up - John Cena vs. AJ Styles
2nd Runner Up - Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens
3rd Runner Up - Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles

1st Runner Up - Dean Ambrose
2nd Runner Up - Bayley
3rd Runner Up - Enzo Amore & Big Cass

1st Runner Up - Kevin Owens
2nd Runner Up - The Miz
3rd Runner Up - Eva Marie

1st Runner Up - Seth Rollins
2nd Runner Up - Chris Jericho
3rd Runner Up - Matt Hardy

1st Runner Up - TJ Perkins
2nd Runner Up - Kenny Omega
3rd Runner Up - Dalton Castle

1st Runner Up - Cody Rhodes
2nd Runner Up - Seth Rollins
3rd Runner Up - Dean Ambrose

1st Runner Up - Lio Rush
2nd Runner Up - Matt Riddle
3rd Runner Up - Shayna Baszler

1st Runner Up - Sasha Bayley
2nd Runner Up - Bayley
3rd Runner Up - Becky Lynch

PWI Lifetime Achievement Award - Dick Beyer

I agree with everything, which is surprising. I don't understand most inspirational wrestler, it almost sounds like it could be like an underdog award? And I guess Seth got the nod as a runner up from returning from his injury.

Rookie of the Year I didn't have a huge problem with though it wouldn't be my choice, but after seeing the runner-ups... I'm more than okay with it.

Everything else was pretty obvious in my opinion. I'm glad Miz got the nod for Most Improved, so so deserving. After nearly a decade of me either hating him or being indifferent towards him, the work he did this year turned me into a massive fan of his. I hope he gets rewarded soon.

PWI Wrestler of the Year -AJ Styles

Obviously, I can't think of anyone who would come close. He dominated 2016.

PWI Tag Team of the Year - New Day

I can't stand these guys, but who else would it be other than the longest reigning tag team champions of all time?

PWI Match of the Year - AJ Styles vs. John Cena - SummerSlam

This was definitely the best match all year, 2 of the best ever in a classic.

PWI Feud of the Year - Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte

Only saw their Hell in the Cell match.. I usually skip Sasha segments.

PWI Most Popular of the Year - Shinsuke Nakamura

Sure?.. Don't know this guy, don't follow NXT.

PWI Most Hated of the Year - Roman Reigns

He may not be getting a positive reaction, but he gets the most heat in WWE.

Who cares about this one?.. I can't think of any other comeback.

PWI Most improved of the Year - The Miz

Sure The Miz improved, but he's always been good, I personally think Alexa Bliss should've won this one.

PWI Most inspirational of the Year - Bayley

Should always be John Cena

This women is going to be huge in WWE, no pun intended.. Nia Jax has all the tools to be a huge star.

PWI Women of the Year - Charlotte

Charlotte is the only option.. the best women's wrestler in WWE.. If Charlotte didn't win this it would be a shame.

I admit that I forgot about Alexa Bliss, so shame on me. She does a great job as a heel on the blue brand, she's especially great at using her facial expressions to sell and she's capable of a lot more inside the ring.

It's been reported that Roman Reigns is the first babyface in history to win the Most Hated award, garnering some 25% of the vote so it wasn't a landslide. The various runners up were announced earlier this morning:

1st Runner Up- Roman Reigns
2nd Runner Up- Kevin Owens
3rd Runner Up- Dean Ambrose

PWI Tag Team of the Year- New Day
1st Runner Up- The Young Bucks
2nd Runner Up- Enzo Amore & Big Cass
3rd Runner Up- The Revival

1st Runner Up - John Cena vs. AJ Styles
2nd Runner Up - Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens
3rd Runner Up - Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles

1st Runner Up - Dean Ambrose
2nd Runner Up - Bayley
3rd Runner Up - Enzo Amore & Big Cass

1st Runner Up - Kevin Owens
2nd Runner Up - The Miz
3rd Runner Up - Eva Marie

1st Runner Up - Seth Rollins
2nd Runner Up - Chris Jericho
3rd Runner Up - Matt Hardy

1st Runner Up - TJ Perkins
2nd Runner Up - Kenny Omega
3rd Runner Up - Dalton Castle

1st Runner Up - Cody Rhodes
2nd Runner Up - Seth Rollins
3rd Runner Up - Dean Ambrose

1st Runner Up - Lio Rush
2nd Runner Up - Matt Riddle
3rd Runner Up - Shayna Baszler

1st Runner Up - Sasha Bayley
2nd Runner Up - Bayley
3rd Runner Up - Becky Lynch

PWI Lifetime Achievement Award - Dick Beyer

It is really interesting to see Roman Reigns as both the Most Hated Wrestler of the Year and also the 1st Runner Up in the Wrestler of the Year category as well. Intriguing, to say the least.

I won't comment on all of the categories because they pretty much stack up as they should. Of course, some are up for debate but there's nothing spectacularly ludicrous about any of the choices. I guess Strowman wasn't up for Rookie of the Year because he debuted in 2015?

While many may disagree with Nia being awarded ROTY, she really has had a good year all things considered. I'm guessing NXT is taken into consideration given the fact that Nakamura was voted most popular so, when you take that into account, I would argue she did have a better year than Alexa Bliss. She was a relatively big player in NXT, bigger than Bliss at least, and has been booked strongly since debuting on Raw. This also tells me that many people still view Raw as the unrivaled A show in the WWE.

Roman as most hated is a no-brainer. There really isn't anybody that deserves it more from a non-kayfabe standpoint. He has to be really hated to have beaten The Miz.

All but one I think hit the nail on the head and that the Rookie of the Year.

Nia Jax was only decent in NXT. She got her big matches because she's a believable monster in the Women's division and putting her up against any face will garner them a lot of sympathy. On RAW she's decent. She's been in a lot of squash matches and seems to slowly be moving up. Overall she's decent.

On the other hand there's Alexa Bliss. In NXT she was most known for being the Valet for a fairly forgettable tag team. On Smackdown she had become the top heel of the Women's division and arguably the best woman on the entire Smackdown roster.

The award went to someone who has been consistently decent in 2016 while it should have gone to someone who grew leaps and bounds in 2016

These results kinda shows how much of a dilemma wwe as with roman reigns in my opinion. Their a small percentage of fans that hated the guy yet the a small percentage that actually like the guy and we're ready to vote for him for wrestler of the year. So if your wwe what to you do, do you listen to does who hate him and turn him heel or do you listen to those who like him enough to vote for him as wrestler of the year and keep him babyface.

The guys is starting to get more and more mix reactions lately which says to me that they are doing something right with him if more and more male fans are willing to buy roman reigns merchandise then at this same date last year.

So knowing how he won the most hated award by that small of a percentage tells me that they should just stay the course with him and just go with a twinner character like they've been doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back