2015 In Film

The current top ten highest grossing films of 2015 are....

1. Jurassic World
$1,666,050,585

2. Furious 7
$1,514,827,481

3. Avengers: Age of Ultron
$1,402,805,868

4. Minions
$1,156,017,054

5. Inside Out
$850,215,000

6. Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation
$682,142,377

7. Fifty Shades of Grey
$569,651,467

8. Cinderella
$542,351,353

9. Ant-Man
$517,425,000

10. San Andreas
$470,490,832

No changes to the top ten this week. Shocky made valid points in his predictions. The new Star Wars is by far the biggest obstacle left for Jurassic World to defeat, which it won't. Star Wars making the most money of any film this year is a safe bet. The new Hunger Games, which will be released 11/20 has my full attention while this week's releases don't look like anything I'd like to go watch. None of this week's releases are gonna make the top ten.

Upcoming releases:
11/12: Prem Ratan Dhan Payo
11/13: By the Sea
11/13: Love the Coopers
11/13: My All-American

Goodnight Mommy- 5/10

I’m not 100% sure how I should feel about this one now.

On one hand, the acting is solid, Goodnight Mommy features a few creepy and chilling visuals (i.e. the dark cave littered with human bones and skulls), a handful of bloody and gory images, and it’s a thought-provoking horror film. Is the woman in bandages the real mother? Is she telling the truth? Is she hiding something? What happened to Elias and Lukas’ (the twins) father? Are the twins the problem?

Goodnight Mommy answers some of the more important and tantalizing questions, but I had a lot of trouble buying into the hype for this one. A lot of reviews and other movie and horror websites praised and started a hype machine for Goodnight Mommy to join the list of recent flying under the radar sleeper hit horror films before and after the release, but Goodnight Mommy is definitely a noticeable step down, when you compare it to the likes of It Follows or The Babadook.

Goodnight Mommy’s methodical pacing feels a bit tedious after forty minutes or so, and when the movie hits the halfway point, Goodnight Mommy devolves into a repetitive series of events, after the twins decide to torture the mother until she tells the truth.

“Who are you?!?”

“What did you do to our mother?!?”

“Where is she?”

Interrogate, torture, rinse, repeat. It goes on and on for so long, and Goodnight Mommy takes an odd turn, veering off the course for a promising horror film, so the twins can play a nasty and sadistic game of “let’s repeatedly torture and harass this woman, who might or might not be our mother until she tells us the truth, but when she tells us the truth, we’ll still torture her some more, because we’re not sure and we don‘t trust her.”

The big twist at the end? I’ll admit, it’s a genuine surprise, and the aftermath is heartbreaking. Although, throughout the movie, you get the feeling Goodnight Mommy is building towards this earth-shattering reveal, but “that’s it?” is the best I could do for a reaction. Also, I don’t want to ramble on too much, but I’ll say this without giving away too much, when the truth is revealed, you’ll want to root for The Mother’s rescue and her survival.

All in all, Goodnight Mommy has some redeemable qualities, with the cast (the kids are genuinely creepy and evil as the story progresses), the story, and there’s enough nasty gore and blood to pull a reaction out of you. One scene that sticks out is, the twins using super glue to seal the woman’s lips shut, so she can’t scream for help. The twins feel a little bit of sympathy for the woman, so they use a tool to crack her lips open for some food, but the end result is a bloody mess.

Still, Goodnight Mommy is an underwhelming, and well, boring (in certain parts) film. Also, if you’re not into ambiguous and mysterious arthouse style horror films with a slow (very SLOW) burn build, there’s a good chance Goodnight Mommy is not your cup of tea.

Our Brand Is Crisis- 5/10

Sandra Bullock. She’s the main reason why Our Brand Is Crisis is not a complete trainwreck. Bullock is the main attraction here, and man she puts on a show. The rousing speeches, Jane’s (Bullock) wild side, the outbursts, the tirades, the arguments, and Jane’s (Bullock) more emotional moments. Bullock truly owns every scene she’s in, the rivalry with Billy Bob Thornton is one of the major highlights in the movie, and Thornton was spot on, as this smug and condescending prick, who wants to make Jane’s life a living hell.

With all that said, Our Brand Is Crisis is…..well I’m not sure what to think about it. I laughed a few times, but Our Brand Is Crisis jumps back and forth between being a political comedy, to a film about dirty and cutthroat politics, to social commentary about the election, and during the final moments, the film completely switchs gears to deliver a heavy handed message/cautionary tale about doing the right thing. I dunno. Our Brand Is Crisis taking the satire approach to the inner workings of a political campaign and marketing strategies might raise a few eyebrows, but the end result is a muddled film that’s unsure of its own identity.

The Martian- 9/10

A good supporting cast, Matt Damon is outstanding in the leading role, and The Martian is easily one of Ridley Scott’s best films in years.

It’ll be a close race between Spectre and The Peanuts Movie, but Box Office Mojo.com is predicting a repeat at #1 for Spectre in the week to week charts.

By The Sea is the only new release I’m interested in, and it’s out of morbid curiosity. Starting tomorrow, the movie is on a very limited release (ten theaters), but By The Sea will expand to 120 theaters next week. So far, the vast majority of critics are slamming By The Sea for being a shameless and self indulgent vanity project, and the movie holds a 28% on Rotten Tomatoes. And if I'm using the trailers and commercials as a sign of things to come, By The Sea looks like a pretentious and boring romance drama.

As a director and a writer, Angelina Jolie is someone, who I want to root for, but she hasn’t delivered a noteworthy (Unbroken was close) film, or a film that’s close to universal praise yet. But when you consider her name and who she is, there’s a chance expectations are somewhat unrealistic for Jolie‘s work behind the camera.

1. Jurassic World
$1,668,889,431

2. Furious 7
$1,514,827,481

$1,405,035,767

4. Minions
$1,156,707,367

5. Inside Out
$851,175,046

$682,293,528

7. Fifty Shades of Grey
$570,489,358

8. Spectre
$543,800,181

9. Cinderella
$542,686,737

10. Ant-Man
$518,031,941

The newcomer on the top ten is Spectre. I won't be surprised if it climbs up a little further by next week. Inside Out is now the 10th highest grossing animated film of all time, which is impressive. It should make it a bit further up that list soon. Three new films will be released this week. The big one is Hunger Games, that for sure should make it up to the top 5.

Upcoming releases:
11/20: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
11/20: The Night Before
11/20: Secret in Their Eyes

The new Star Wars is by far the biggest obstacle left for Jurassic World to defeat, which it won't. Star Wars making the most money of any film this year is a safe bet.

Are you sure about this? While Star Wars will undoubtedly have the biggest opening weekend ever, and will probably end up as one of the highest grossing ever, if not the highest, by the end of its run...it doesn't open until December 14. Will it make more, in 17 days, than Jurassic World made in its entire run? That's a tough task for any movie.

Are you sure about this? While Star Wars will undoubtedly have the biggest opening weekend ever, and will probably end up as one of the highest grossing ever, if not the highest, by the end of its run...it doesn't open until December 14. Will it make more, in 17 days, than Jurassic World made in its entire run? That's a tough task for any movie.

He's referring to 2015 releases. No matter if it takes until June 2016, SWTFA will always be a 2015 release and will still compare to Jurassic World in that aspect.

It's still a tall task anyway though. If SWTFA isn't very good, word will get out and it won't do nearly as well.

He's referring to 2015 releases. No matter if it takes until June 2016, SWTFA will always be a 2015 release and will still compare to Jurassic World in that aspect.

Fair enough. I took "highest grossing of 2015", in this sense, to mean earnings within the calendar year, and not overall. I don't think there's a chance Star Wars doesn't make #1.

It's still a tall task anyway though. If SWTFA isn't very good, word will get out and it won't do nearly as well.

I think that even if it is shit, people will have to see it. The prequel trilogy still did amazingly well, and is generally panned. I know, that even if I were told it's a shitty 95 minute movie, and everyone dies in the end, I would still need to see it with my own two eyes.

Fair enough. I took "highest grossing of 2015", in this sense, to mean earnings within the calendar year, and not overall. I don't think there's a chance Star Wars doesn't make #1.

Yeah, it means highest grossing film that got released in 2015 . I kept looking into how Frozen was doing on 2013's rankings for a few months into 2014 when I ran a similar topic, for instance. I'll likely be doing the same for Star Wars in early 2016 to see just how far in the rankings it does advance. Avatar's record might finally even be broken.

I've seen some trailers for Spotlight, and that looks like a must-see to me, with a very good ensemble cast. I'm also a sucker for Stanley Tucci, so that may be it, but it looks like it'd be in the ballpark of movies like Doubt and Notes On A Scandal.

Yeah, it means highest grossing film that got released in 2015 . I kept looking into how Frozen was doing on 2013's rankings for a few months into 2014 when I ran a similar topic, for instance. I'll likely be doing the same for Star Wars in early 2016 to see just how far in the rankings it does advance. Avatar's record might finally even be broken.

While I thought that was a brilliant movie, I am still baffled by that box office number. It's certainly a masterpiece from an artistic standpoint, but I've seen more well-crafted movies that made maybe 5% of Avatar's total.

The Last Witch Hunter- 3/10

The Last Witch Hunter is what I thought it would be, and that’s not a good thing. It’s just one lukewarm action sequence after another, and The Last Witch Hunter features one too many unintentionally funny cornball moments.

To add to that, The Last Witch Hunter plays like an ordinary adaptation of a YA fantasy novel. If we’re talking about a film series in the same vein (i.e. a hardened loner/badass fighting evil supernatural creatures), the R ratings and the blood and the violence gives the Underworld films a noticeable edge for being more aggressive and bold. I’m not saying The Last Witch Hunter needs to be a gore fest to be a successful film, but when it comes to action and violence, TLWH is tamed and watered down.

Vin Diesel? He’s a competent leading man, with Rose Leslie and Elijah Wood (Michael Caine’s screen time is limited to here and there appearances) delivering a pair of decent performances, but at the same time, Diesel feels out of place here. Again, TLWH feels and looks like an adaptation of a YA fantasy novel. With the bad guys constantly using magic spells and ancient curses to thwart Diesel, you get the feeling an inexperienced and gutsy teenager learning the ropes and overcoming the odds would’ve been a better choice for the main character/leading role, not a forty-eight year old man, who’s playing a lethal warrior with eight hundred years of experience.

To make matters worse, one of the main villains in the movie is not intimidating or menacing. He’s just some fat guy with a thick beard, who talks with a croaky voice, and that’s a problem, because the Witch Queen (the primary antagonist) is absent (she only appears in the early stages and during the tail end of the film) for the vast majority of the movie. As far as Kurt Angle goes, don’t blink, or you’ll miss his him, because the screen time for his first (and only) appearance might add up to ten seconds, if that.

A few bonus points for two genuinely surprising twists at the end, and the grotesque body design for the Witch Queen, but TLWH is a mediocre film at best. After I, Frankenstein and now this, I think it’s safe to say a lot of moviegoers are not interested in fantasy/adventure action films about a loner/warrior leading the fight against evil supernatural forces. Both films were panned by the critics, and I know Diesel said plans for a sequel (the unresolved ending opens the door for another set of films) are in place, but I can’t see it happening for a number of reasons.

Spectre- 4/10

Unimpressive, dull, and bland. Spectre features a few decent action sequences, but after the first hour or so, Spectre is a chore to sit through, and the lengthy runtime (2hr. & 30min.? Jeez) really drags the film into a tiresome slump. Christoph Waltz is an underwhelming villain, and to make matters worse, it’s hard to ignore the feeling for Daniel Craig just going through the motions here.

Batista’s Mr. Hinx is on a short list of positives here. Batista’s intimidating performance as this silent and relentless bruiser is the main highlight in Spectre, and the brief interactions between Monica Bellucci and Craig deserve recognition, but that’s about it. Spectre is not an abomination, but it’s the weakest Bond film in the Daniel Craig era.

I've seen some trailers for Spotlight, and that looks like a must-see to me, with a very good ensemble cast. I'm also a sucker for Stanley Tucci, so that may be it, but it looks like it'd be in the ballpark of movies like Doubt and Notes On A Scandal.

The critics are praising Spotlight (currently holds a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes) left and right with strong reviews, and it’s another film that’s receiving some early Oscar buzz, with a lot of Best Picture talk. The critical acclaim is a positive sign, the ensemble cast looks great, and going by some reviews I’ve read, Spotlight is a non-exploitative docudrama.

According to Box Office Mojo.com’s predictions, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 2 will surpass the $127,000,000 mark to debut as the new #1 film in the week to week charts, and it’s only a matter of time before Mockingjay-Part 2 finds a spot in the top ten for 2015.

I had a hard time getting into Mockingjay- Part I as a setup film, and the original film’s shaky cam abuse was just annoying, but overall, I’ve enjoyed The Hunger Games as a film series. The Empire Strikes Back comparisons are ludicrous, but Catching Fire is my pick for the best film in the series so far. Out of all the numerous YA fiction adaptations over the years, The Hunger Games is one of the very few series that actually comes close to living up to the hype with quality films, and of course, The Hunger Games played a big part in solidifying Jennifer Lawrence’s status as real star in Hollywood.

Out of all the new releases, I’m really looking forward to The Night Before. It might be the same old, same old formula for a Seth Rogen comedy (on a side note, if we‘re talking about Rogen/Gordon-Levitt collaborations, nothing will ever top or come close to 50/50), but hopefully TNB will deliver some good laughs. And with Bill Murray’s new Christmas film and Krampus coming up, it’s nice to see the potential for a set of refreshing holiday films, and not the usual cheesy and clichéd Christmas films, or some generic and conventional “I’m coming home for the holidays, but I know I’ll run into a series of problems with my dysfunctional family” comedy bullshit.

Legend starring Tom Hardy in dual roles has a strange release schedule. The movie will only open in four theaters today, and Legend will expand to a nationwide release three weeks from now. I’m a fan of Tom Hardy as an actor, but something is off with Legend in the trailers and commercials. I want to have high hopes for it, but going by the promo material, it’s hard to tell if Legend is trying to be a grand gangster biopic, or if they’re trying to make a run at the Oscars with the novelty of showcasing Hardy simultaneously portraying the Kray Twins.

Secret In Their Eyes? Eh, I have some doubts about it. The cast looks good, but the trailers are uneventful, and you have to believe Mockingjay- Part 2 and the mixed reviews (SITE currently holds a 41% on RT) will hurt SITE’s box office numbers.

Carol is another limited release I’m interested in. The trailers are kind of dull, but there’s a lot of Oscar buzz surrounding Carol. If we’re talking about possible nominations, I find it hard to believe Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara will both receive one nomination a piece for one film. If it comes down to a choice of just one, I’ll be shocked if Blanchett doesn’t receive the nod over Mara, because she’s the bigger name, and she’s the one with a lengthy and distinguished career.

I'm really worried about Legend. I want to see it, and I think I will love it, but it seems like it walks on that line where if it gets too "artsy" for its own good, it will do horrible, and be reviewed horribly, but in 10 years, everyone will love it. Not even as a cult classic, but just for how good it really is (or should be). The Kray Twins are an outstanding story, and I'm anxious to see the treatment they get on the big screen.

The current top ten highest grossing films of 2015 so far are....

1. Jurassic World
$1,668,912,312

2. Furious 7
$1,514,827,481

$1,405,035,767

4. Minions
$1,156,746,412

5. Inside Out
$851,330,753

$682,330,139

7. Spectre
$677,802,879

8. Fifty Shades of Grey
$570,489,358

9. Cinderella
$542,686,737

10. Ant-Man
$518,178,306

Spectre climbed up a spot, no other changes this week. Hunger Games for sure should make it into the top ten by next week. I haven't seen it yet but plan to this coming week. Three new films will be released this week. Creed, The Good Dinosaur, and Victor Frankenstein.

Upcoming releases:
11/25: Creed
11/25: The Good Dinosaur
11/25: Victor Frankenstein

Upcoming releases:
11/25: Creed
11/25: The Good Dinosaur
11/25: Victor Frankenstein

If I hated my family, I'd be seeing Creed this week. That is on my must watch list, and I hope to make it to the theater before it's gone. I love the series, and I was very unsure about Rocky Balboa, but thought it was a great film, and very uplifting, and I'm confident they'll do the same here. Michael B. Jordan is a solid actor, and I'm curious to see how they create a character we don't know anything about, really.

The Good Dinosaur feels like a film I could live my whole life without seeing. Since the announcement was made, nothing has grabbed me and made me think I need it in my life, and none of my kids are even that excited about it. I know Disney/Pixar have a great track record, but when I have seen trailers for their movies in the past (with the exception of Cars/Cars 2), I felt like I would be missing something by not seeing it. That it was a story that must be told. Not so here.

By The Sea-6/10

If we’re talking about acting and the cast as a whole, it’s the Bard Pitt show here. His strong performance is head and shoulders above everyone else in By The Sea, and Pitt easily owns all of his scenes throughout the movie. On the flip side of that, Angelina Jolie is a strange case. Yeah, I understand her character. She’s a depressed, fragile, and cynical woman, but for the most part, Jolie’s performance is limited to blank stares, pouty facial expressions, and a lot of crying. Again, I understand Vanessa (Jolie) is supposed to a broken woman, who suffered two horrible tragedies, but Angelina Jolie is a talented actress, so I’m not sure why she felt the need to limit herself to a restrained performance.

Jolie and Pitt share excellent chemistry as a married couple for obvious reasons. It’s easy to buy into Vanessa being disgusted with Roland (Pitt) and vice versa to the point, where they have genuine feelings of animosity for each other. The ups and downs, the fights, the tense arguments, the accusations. It’s all about the turmoil in Roland and Vanessa’s relationship, and the story of a marriage falling apart feels more authentic, with Jolie and Pitt working together as a cohesive unit.

Also, after the trailers, I was afraid Jolie would go the route of portraying herself and Pitt as this glamorous and high profiled couple, but that’s not the case in By The Sea. Jolie is a hateful and depressed pill-popper, and Pitt’s character is an antagonistic alcoholic. Vanessa and Roland are trainwrecks, and when you put them together, it’s a toxic relationship. All in all, I’m glad Jolie chose a more realistic approach for what happens to a married couple, when they hit a rough patch in their lives.

With all that said, By The Sea is nothing to write home about, and I don‘t agree 100%, but I can understand the complaints for By The Sea being a shameless and self-indulgent vanity project. It’s not an awful film, but at the same time, it’s an ordinary arthouse romance drama. Brad Pitt’s performance is the main reason why I’m going with a positive score for By The Sea, because he is the anchor here.

To add to that, By The Sea is a tedious film in certain parts, with an overlong runtime (2hr. & 12 min.), and when the younger French couple (Lea and Michel) enters the picture, By The Sea devolves into a series of repetitive events. I get the whole point behind Roland and Vanessa’s obsession with Lea and Michel. Lea and Michel are a passionate young couple, they’re head over heels for each other, and there’s some jealousy and resentment on both sides for Roland and Vanessa, because Lea and Michel remind Vanessa and Roland of a happier time in their lives. Still, it’s hard to ignore the redundancy for the voyeurism stuff with Vanessa and Roland watching Lea and Michel’s every move through the peephole in their hotel room, and the repetition for the same series of events (for the most part) over and over again is kind of annoying.

Also, there’s a strange piece of news about Universal Pictures and By The Sea. Apparently, Universal Pictures backed By The Sea as a distributor with the hopes of luring Angelina Jolie into a starring role for the Bride Of Frankenstein for Universal’s upcoming shared monster movies universe, or a possible Wanted sequel. Wanted was a fun action flick, but the original was released seven years ago, and I don‘t see a lot of potential for a sequel. Although, after the lukewarm reception to Dracula Untold, Angelina Jolie could bring a much needed spark to this planned cinematic universe.

Secret In Their Eyes- 7/10

I need to watch the 2009 original, but Secret In Their Eyes is an effective crime thriller with a superb cast. Granted, SITE feels contrived and dull at times, but it’s hard to ignore the strong performances from Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Alfred Molina delivers in his scenes. SITE is far from perfect, and it’s easy to point fingers for a missed opportunity with the likes of Kidman and Roberts in the same film, but the top notch performances from SITE’s cast are enough to salvage a potential mundane and lifeless snoozer.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 2 debuted as the new #1 film in the week to week charts with $102,665,981 to bring the current worldwide total to $267,054,367. Of course, a debut that passes the $120,000,000 mark is nothing to complain about, but at the same time, Mockingjay-Part 2 had the lowest box office debut in the series. It’s considered to be a slight disappointment, because Mockingjay- Part 2 had higher expectations, as the big grand finale for a successful series.

There’s a chance for some of Mockingjay-Part II's momentum taking a dive after Part I, and maybe the powers that be relied on Part I as a set-up/lead-in film too much. That, and there’s a chance The Hunger Games peaked as a film series after Catching Fire.

According to reports, it’ll be a race between Mockingjay-Part 2 and The Good Dinosaur for the #1 spot in the week to week charts, but Mockingjay- Part 2 should hold on to the top spot for a repeat. Creed is excepted to open in the #3 spot, while Victor Frankenstein debuts in the #4 spot.

Creed is one of the new releases I’m really looking forward to. I guess I’m one of the few people, who actually enjoyed and didn’t have a big problem with Rocky V, and Rocky Balboa was a good film. Creed currently holds a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a lot of reviews are praising Michael B. Jordan’s performance. After all the negativity surrounding the Fantastic Four reboot and the disappointing box office run, Jordan could use a positive spark, and he needs to prove he’s more than a one hit wonder after Fruitvale Station.

The Good Dinosaur’s trailers are harmless, but I have no interest in the movie. Victor Frankenstein? I want to see it, but the movie currently holds a 24% on RT. Also, after watching the trailers, I get the feeling VF is trying too hard to be a hammy and over the top “so bad it’s good” B-movie with superior production values.

Trumbo-8/10

I didn’t know about Trumbo until I caught an advert for it on some movie website, but when I took the time to look at the cast list and the plot synopsis, I knew I had to see it.

Trumbo really works as a historical drama and a biopic about Dalton Trumbo the man. Trumbo tells two stories simultaneously, but the movie never feels like a cluttered mess, and the cast is outstanding. Bryan Cranston is superb in the leading role, Helen Mirren is spot on as this pompous and condescending bitch with an icy attitude, and David James Elliot’s performance and his brief screen time as John Wayne was more than enough to pique my interest for a John Wayne biopic. Diane Lane, Louis C.K., Adewale Akinnouye-Agbaje, Roger Bart, and Elle Fanning all deliver solid performances to round out the supporting cast, and John Goodman is hilarious.

Trumbo slightly misses the mark for a great film, and for a film with a vast array of talent on the acting side of things, you could say Trumbo is a slight disappointment, but it’s still a good film. To add to that, it wouldn’t surprise me if Trumbo received a few Academy Award nominations. And Bryan Cranston is a borderline case, but it’s not out of the realm of realistic possibilities for Cranston to receive a Best Actor nomination.

Spotlight- 9/10

A poignant and respectful docudrama, featuring a solid cast. You won’t see any showy performances or exaggerated and over the top dramatic moments in Spotlight, because simply telling the story about the real life events is the main focus here. When you consider the source material and a cast full of noteworthy actors and actresses, Spotlight deserves credit for avoiding the easy Oscar bait approach for nominations. When Oscar season rolls around, I’m sure Spotlight will receive praise for taking a non-conventional approach to the true story, and if we’re talking about the cast as a whole, I have to believe Mark Ruffalo is the front-runner for an Oscar nod.

According to Box Office Mojo.com, it’ll be another tight race between The Good Dinosaur and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 2 for the #1 spot in the week to week charts, but The Good Dinosaur should knock Mockingjay-Part 2 out of the top spot.

Krampus is finally here! Krampus is one of the December films I’m really looking forward to, and hopefully Krampus will receive enough positive feedback (Krampus currently holds a 65% on Rotten Tomatoes) to build some anticipation and hype for more Christmas horror films in the future and Michael Dougherty’s Trick ’r Treat 2 (god I hope we’re not looking at another “stuck in developmental hell” situation with Trick ’r Treat 2). And Krampus is a low budget film, so hopefully it’ll turn a respectable profit at the box office.

Macbeth starring Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard will receive a limited release (only five theaters) before a release on Amazon Instant Video, with The Letters, The Lady In The Van, and MI-5 (Spooks: The Greater Good) completing the list of new low profiled limited releases. If I had to pick one, the only film I’m remotely interested in is The Lady In The Van. I caught a trailer for The Lady In The Van before Trumbo, and with an overwhelming amount of positive reviews (The Lady In The Van currently holds a 95% on RT) and the love fest for Maggie Smith’s performance, there’s a good chance TLITV will receive a fair amount of Oscar nominations.

Upcoming releases:

12/4: Krampus
12/4: The Letters (limited)
12/4: Macbeth (limited)
12/4: MI-5 (Spooks: The Greater Good)(limited)
12/4: The Lady In The Van (limited)

1. Jurassic World
$1,668,912,312

2. Furious 7
$1,514,827,481

$1,405,035,767

4. Minions
$1,157,094,892

5. Inside Out
$851,602,426

6. Spectre
$792,020,343

7. Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation
$682,330,139

8. The Martian
$571,488,603

9. Fifty Shades of Grey
$570,489,358

10. Cinderella
$542,686,737

The Martian joins the top ten this week and Spectre moved up to #6. No Hunger Games? That's odd. I'm certain it will be in the list by next week. Two new films will be released this week, and we are closing in on the big Star Wars release on 12/18.

Upcoming releases:
12/11: In the Heart of the Sea
12/11: The Big Short

Knock Knock- 5/10

Knock Knock is an erratic film. After Bel (Ana de Armas) and Genesis (Lorenza Izzo) decide to torture and hold Evan (Keanu Reeves) hostage in his own home, the movie constantly switches gears between an over the top campy film, with messages of morality for Evan’s infidelity, to a film that takes the satirical approach to torture horror films. And on top of that, you have to remember Knock Kncok is also supposed to be an erotic thriller.

If we’re talking about gore and blood, Knock Knock is a very tamed film. There’s a scene, where Izzo stabs Reeves with a fork, and you’ll see a spot of blood on his shirt, but that’s about it. The torture (using that word loosely) scenes are weak and dull. Yeah, I get the whole point of the satire approach, but come on now. Bel and Genesis threatening to permanently damage Evan’s hearing with loud music and headphones? That’s the best you can do? Seriously?

Armas and Izzo are believable, as a pair of goofy and batshit crazy best friends, who are determined to make Evan’s life a living hell. To give you an example for Bel and Genesis’s loopy behavior, there’s a scene, where Evan tries to escape, Bel is on the floor, and she’s squirming around and making some weird, squeaky barking noises. Keanu Reeves? Oh boy. It’s a strange case, because at first he’s this normal and average family man, but after the home invasion, Reeves starts hamming it up with eye-rolling hysterics and a few hilarious tirades.

With all that said, I’ll give Knock Knock the bare minimum pass. As an erotic thriller, Knock Knock is average, and as a satirical torture horror film, I honestly can’t think of one scene that’s strong enough to pull a reaction out of you. And after the home invasion, Knock Knock devolves into a series of repetitive events with Bel and Genesis “torturing” Evan, Evan apologizing and pleading for his life, Evan calling Bel and Genesis “crazy bitches”, and Evan narrowly escaping Bel and Genesis’ game.

Still, Knock Knock is an entertaining film, if you watch it with a “so bad it’s good” mindset. Intentional humor or unintentional humor, Reeves’s hammy performance is so over the top and borderline cringeworthy, it’s hard to not laugh at him either way, and Armas and Izzo’s antics are hilarious.

Knock Knock can be a frustrating, and well, stupid film, If you try to overanalyze or poke holes in the logic behind Knock Knock’s story and the plot. For starters, you’ll have a hard time believing in Bel and Genesis overpowering and manhandling Reeves. Reeves is a grown man, but somehow Genesis can use a fork to stop him (I know Reeves’ Evan had surgery on that shoulder, but you can only stretch suspension of disbelief so far), and Armas’ Bel might weigh a little over 105 lbs soaking wet (literally). And Evan lives in a neighborhood, where the houses are built right next to each with a little bit of space in between, so I’m supposed to believe no one can hear his screams for his help, when he’s outside?

If we’re comparing Knock Knock to the original film, Death Game/The Seducers 1977, starring Colleen Camp (she has a small role/cameo here and she‘s a producer for this one) Sondra Locke, and Seymour Cassel, I’d say it’s a toss up or a matter of personal preference for the better film. Honestly, when comparing both films, I can’t think of anything that stands out to give one film the edge over the other. Knock Knock is a modernized remake, and it’s not a shot-for-shot remake, BUT it’s easy to notice and pick up on the similarities between both films, and Knock Knock has traces of Death Game (the picture quality is pretty bad, but it‘s on YouTube, if you‘re interested) throughout the movie.

Krampus- 8/10

With two films as a director under his belt, Michael Dougherty is carving out a nice niche for himself with holiday themed horror films. Dougherty and the other co-writers did a great job with a tapestry-like approach to Krampus’ mythology, with the grandmother telling camp fire-esque stories, her animated flashback for her past with Krampus, ominous warning signs (i.e. the creepy snowmen in the front yard), and the methodical build to establish Krampus’ dark mystique really works.

Take a bunch of sordid characters (David Koechner and Conchata Ferrell are hilarious), a dysfunctional family, and stick them in an isolated setting, with a demon (Krampus) and his minions terrorizing the group, and the end result is a refreshing horror comedy/Christmas film. Of course, it’s only a matter of time before Krampus delivers the obligatory messages about family, the true meaning of Christmas, and hope towards the end, but there’s a good balance of spooky and nightmarish horror and lively comedy here, so Krampus never leans too far on one side.

They did a good job with Krampus’ look, his size, the body design, and Krampus has an imposing presence, as this towering boogeyman. My only complaint is Krampus’ mouth hanging wide open and never closing, but he has the look of a menacing and ancient relic, with the dirty Santa suit, and the rusted chains really pull everything together.

Krampus delivers consistent laughs and a handful of hilarious and inventive fight sequences, and the ending is thought-provoking, because you’re not 100% sure if Krampus is keeping a watchful eye on and trying to teach Max’s (the main character) family a lesson, or if it’s something far worse. There’s a nice swerve at the end, because you get the impression they’re going with a happy ending, but they pull the rug out from underneath you at the last second with a more diabolical finale.

Krampus is not perfect, but it‘s a fun Christmas horror comedy, and I’m definitely adding Krampus to my list of Christmas horror favorites (move over Black Christmas 2006!). Trick ‘r Treat is one of my favorite anthology horror films, Dougherty is one of my favorite directors, and with more time, there‘s a realistic chance for Krampus gaining a stronger fan following as a cult classic. Krampus surprised a lot of box office pundits and analysts, the movie is turning a respectable profit, and Krampus has a decent amount of positive reviews (I know it‘s shaky, but Krampus is sitting at a 63% on Rotten Tomatoes), so hopefully this opens the door for Dougherty and more high profiled projects in the future.

Victor Frankenstein-3/10

Underwhelming and disappointing.

It’s a shame, because Victor Frankenstein is a reimagining with some real potential, but it’s a big misfire. They had all the ingredients to deliverer a Frankenstein film with a refreshing twist, but instead, Victor Frankenstein settles for the status of a cliched, boring, and bland sci-fi action/horror B-movie. The only worthwhile or entertaining scene I can think of, is the fiasco at the university, when Frankenstein’s hybrid monkey creature escapes, and wreaks havoc throughout the halls, but that’s about it.

To make matters worse, the big reveal for The Monster during the grand finale is anticlimactic. It’s the one big moment in the film you’re really looking forward to, but when Frankenstein’s monster comes to life to terrorize everyone in the area, it’s just a tedious series of attacks and unbelievable close call struggles.

James McAvoy’s energetic and enthusiastic performance, as this loony crackpot is the main highlight here, and Daniel Radcliffe is serviceable as Igor, but McAvoy’s top notch performance is not enough to save this one. You can see every “twist” and revelation coming from a mile away, and McAvoy’s efforts (he really gives it his all, easily 110%) as Victor Frankenstein are wasted on a generic, predictable, and dull screenplay. On a semi related note, if you have to pick just one from the Harry Potter trio, it’s safe to say Emma Watson is the only one with all the potential to have a promising career as a real star.

The Upcoming Weekend

According to Box Office Mojo.com’s predictions, In The Heart Of The Sea should debut as the new #1 film in the week to week charts, but we all know it’s a one and done week for ITOTS before The Force Awakens rolls into theaters next Friday.

I still plan on watching it in theaters, but I’m uneasy about In The Heart Of The Sea now. I’ve read a number of reviews (ITHOTS currently holds a lukewarm 52% on RT) slamming In The Heart Of The Sea for being a bland and boring adventure thriller that relies too heavily on awe-inspiring shots of CGI whales. To add to that, another reoccurring complaint is, you need to see ITOTS in IMAX or other premium format screens for a grandiose cinematic experience, but the window for watching ITOTS on premium format screens will close soon enough, because movie theaters will have to make room for Star Wars.

And The Big Short will join the likes of Everest, The Walk, Steve Jobs, and Legend for films with small and sporadic limited releases before the big wide release. The Big Short will open in eight theaters tomorrow before a wide release on December 21, and the movie currently holds an 87% on RT. The Big Short has a lot of Oscar buzz, with Christian Bale as a possible candidate for a Best Supporting Actor award, and going by some reviews I’ve read, The Big Short is this 2015’s The Wolf Of Wall Street. Adam McKay’s track record as a director is kind of hit-and-miss for me, but it’s hard to ignore TBS’s stellar cast.

1. Jurassic World
$1,668,984,926

2. Furious 7
$1,515,047,671

$1,405,035,767

4. Minions
$1,157,197,402

5. Inside Out
$851,633,930

6. Spectre
$820,567,660

$682,330,139

8. The Martian
$589,095,166

9. Fifty Shades of Grey
$570,489,358

10. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
$564,590,956

Hunger Games joins the top ten, and I would predict it may still make it up to 9th or 8th. This is it though, this friday is the big release we have been waiting for all year long. Jurassic World better not get too comfortable up in the #1 spot because this week the new Star Wars will be released. I personally am waiting at least a week to watch it so as to avoid most of the crowds. We are getting a number of other releases this week too but let's face it, they are all going to be severely overshadowed by Star Wars. That really should have been the only new release this week.

Upcoming releases:
12/18: Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip
12/18: Sisters
12/18: Bajirao Mastani
12/18: Dilwale
12/18: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Upcoming releases:
12/18: Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip
12/18: Sisters

12/18: Bajirao Mastani
12/18: Dilwale
12/18: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

These are the movies that the moms will be taking the kids to, while Dad is off watching Star Wars. I'm not saying they'll do well at all, and, in fact, I'll think they'll "bomb", but they're really only being released because there needs to be an alternative.

I never thought Sisters would be a big box office hit anyway, no matter when it was released. It's going to be a favorite once it hits DVD, and you can sit at home watching with a few drinks in you.

The Night Before- 6/10

Joseph Gordon-Levitt delivering the best performance is no real surprise. Ethan’s (JGL) character and his moments gives the story a break from the monotony of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s usual routine and style/brand of humor, and you can say the same thing about Michael Shannon’s Mr. Green (with a few slight exceptions). Mr. Green is the eccentric and wise pot dealer/voice of reason, and he acts as a spiritual guide for JGL, Rogen, and Anthony Mackie. Mr. Green never takes himself too seriously, but Shannon provides a few laughs, and his performance is one of the main highlights here.

The movie features a few heartfelt and emotional scenes, but overall, The Night Before is silly, absurd, whacky, and over the top. With Rogen and Goldberg together, you have to expect a lot of debauchery and a fair amount of vulgarity, and that’s exactly what you’ll get here. Rogen being stuck in hallucinatory state after his wife gives him the box of drugs as a present is one of the main running gags/jokes in TNB. I’ll admit, I laughed a few times, but towards the end, the routine with Rogen’s hysterics and antics feels tiresome and tedious. To add to that, TNB is loaded with a hefty amount of weed and dick jokes throughout the movie.

The cameos……

Technically, it’s not a spoiler, because if you pay close attention, she’s in the trailers. But they took a “SURPRISE!” approach to set up Miley Cyrus’ appearance/cameo, where she plays herself towards the end. And surprise, surprise James Franco has a cameo here. It’s easy to pick up on the hints throughout the movie, and well, it’s JAMES FRANCO of all people in a Seth Rogen film, so “meh’ is the best I could do for a reaction, when he pops up at the big party.

Take away the Christmas backdrop, the holiday themes, and messages about friendship, family, and the true meaning of Christmas, and The Night Before is a run-of-the-mill and average production from Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen. But with all that said, TNB is a fun and enjoyable Christmas comedy film, with a decent amount of re-watch value and laughs. Yes, the movie has its flaws, but the feel good finale really works, and I wanted to buy into the happy endings for JGL, Rogen, and Mackie. And Mackie, JGL, and Rogen share believable chemistry as best friends. On a side note, that damn Wrecking Ball song is stuck in my head now.

Creed- 9/10

Wow. I won’t say I had low expectations for Creed, but I didn’t put too much thought into it. Creed is easily one of the best sports dramas/boxing films I’ve seen in years, and it’s a great addition to the Rocky franchise. Michael B. Jordan is a solid actor, he’s at his best, when he’s playing the young hothead, with a chip on his shoulder, and as a character, Adonis is someone, who you want to root for. A few good Rocky nostalgia moments, Stallone delivers a top notch performance, and Creed is an uplifting film with a lot of heart. Also, Creed has a good amount of emotional depth, but they never lean too far on the sappy side.

According to Box Office Mojo.com, Star Wars: The Force Awakens has already broken a number of box office records, including fastest to $100,000,000, the record for largest Thursday preview openings, the largest opening day on Friday, the record for the widest opening in December, and the record for the largest opening weekend in December. Going by a number of predictions, including BOM.com, The Force Awakens is expected to shatter Jurassic World’s opening weekend record ($208.8 million domestic) with a weekend total that’s expected to fall somewhere in the $230-$235 million range, so barring some freak occurrence or a huge drop-off in the coming weeks and months, The Force Awakens should knock Jurassic World out the top spot on 2015’s top worldwide grosses list.

NSL is right about Sisters and Alvin & The Chipmunks The Road Chip. You need an alternative, because a. a lot of showtimes for Star Wars will be sold out, b. a lot of people don't want to deal with the large crowds, so they'll wait a few weeks, and c. Sisters looks like a decent enough secondary pick, and the kids can watch Alvin & The Chipmunks.

Sisters? There’s a part of me that’s tempted to take a chance on it, but I’m sure John Cena’s screen time is limited to a brief appearance or appearances, so I’m not sure about it right now. I loved watching the re-runs for the animated series as a kid, but if we’re talking about a nostalgia kick, the trailers for the Alvin & The Chipmunks films don’t do anything for me, and I have similar feelings for The Road Chip. The previous installments in the series had successful runs at the box office, but all the Alvin & The Chipmunks films have received an overwhelming amount of negative reviews, so that’s not a good sign at all.

Here are the current top ten highest grossing films of 2015....

1. Jurassic World
$1,668,984,926

2. Furious 7
$1,515,047,671

$1,405,035,767

4. Minions
$1,157,275,017

5. Inside Out
$851,633,930

6. Spectre
$823,045,619

$682,330,139

8. The Martian
$588,568,823

9. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
$576,708,156

10. Fifty Shades of Grey
$570,489,358

Hunger Games moves up to #9, I expect it'll make it to #8 by next week. No Star Wars.... yet. By next week at this time it will absolutely for sure be on the list. It is currently sitting at $517 million, with more figures still coming in. We have our last list of releases for 2015 and they are being released on Christmas Day, the biggest of which is a Point Break remake.

Upcoming releases:
12/25: Concussion
12/25: Daddy's Home
12/25: Joy
12/25: Point Break
12/25: The Hateful Eight
12/25: The Revenant

So, here's the plan for the future. Star Wars will obviously continue to have people going to see it for a good while. We'll keep analyzing and reviewing 2015's films in here even as we get into 2016, and I'm launching a 2016 In Film thread on January 1st, where the cycle starts over again on the films of next year.

Upcoming releases:
12/25: Concussion
12/25: Daddy's Home
12/25: Joy
12/25: Point Break
12/25: The Hateful Eight
12/25: The Revenant

I'm waiting to see exactly what the hype is all about for Joy. The cast looks stellar, and I'm sure it will be a good movie, but I keep hearing about Oscar buzz, while knowing little about it.

I am, however, uber excited for The Hateful Eight. I'm also a Tarantino fanboy, but that's neither here nor there. I like the cast, the story looks like it could solidly fill 2 hours, and it feels like the perfect anti-holiday season movie.

No new movies for me this week, so I'll just give my thoughts on the Christmas Day releases.

Concussion- Definitely an Oscar bait film that's trying to capitalize off of the recent controversies surrounding the NFL. I want to see it, I'm going to see it, but I still have a lot of doubts about Concussion. In the trailers, Concussion looks like a contrived and generic drama, that's trying way too hard (Will Smith shouting "Tell the truth!" is cringeworthy) to produce emotional and dramatic moments, and the 61% on Rotten Tomatoes is not a good sign at all.

Joy- Another Oscar bait film. Joy holds a 58% on Rotten Tomatoes, and I have mixed feelings for this one. The David O. Russell collaborations are one of the main reasons why I'm burnt out on all things Bradley Cooper, and with Russell using the same set of actors and actresses over and over again, you get the feeling Russell and the powers that be are hoping for lighting (another Silver Linings Playbook) to strike in the same place twice.

Looking back, while I enjoyed the film, I believe SLP is tad bit overrated, but on the flip side of that, American Hustle is VASTLY overrated. I'm sure Jennifer Lawrence will receive an Oscar nomination, but I'm not getting my hopes up for Joy.

The Hateful Eight- I'll probably miss the 70mm showings, because I have to catch up on a few films I missed, but I'm still uneasy about The Hateful Eight. A little while ago, THE was hovering around the 80% range on RT, but now the rating is sitting at a 75%. Nothing in the trailers really grabs my attention, and I'm afraid we're looking at a rare forgettable film on Tarantino's resume.

Daddy's Home- Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell working together for a zany comedy sounds like a good idea on paper, but there's a chance I'll pass on this one in theaters. I'm sure the trailers revealed and spoiled most of or all of the funny scenes and moments in the movie, the story is too basic and predictable, and Daddy's Home currently holds a 29% on RT.

Point Break- :lmao: Honestly, who in their right minds actually believed this was a good idea? A Point Break remake? Why? The trailers are dull and uneventful, and you have to believe Point Break will go into the scrap-heap with other unnecessary remakes soon enough. It's a critically panned film (Point Break 2015 holds a laughable 5% on RT), and going by numerous box office predictions, Point Break should join the list of box office flops in 2015.

The highest grossing films of 2015 as of 12/27 are....

1. Jurassic World
$1,668,984,926

2. Furious 7
$1,515,047,671

$1,405,035,767

4. Minions
$1,157,275,017

5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
$1,090,573,329

6. Inside Out
$851,633,930

7. Spectre
$850,149,955

8. Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation
$682,330,139

9. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
$616,803,061

10. The Martian
$593,913,224

The numbers are still coming in but Star Wars is already sitting at #5 with $1,090,573,329+. Look for it to climb even higher by the end of the week. Let's keep an eye on this and see how it does. I think it'll break Jurassic World's record before New Year's Eve. No more films appear to be getting released this week. I'll launch a "2016 In Film" thread in a few days.

EDIT: Please try keep Star Wars reviews spoiler-free. Or spoiler-tag them. Some might still have not had a chance to see it yet.

Seen Creed the other day, thought it was a great movie. I was hoping the secret of him being Creed's son wouldn't come out until the big match itself - but that's fine, allowed the public to respect him more. Rocky played a great role as an aging guy set in his ways, finally willing to compromise. This movie setup for a potential sequel and brings life to a series for at least one more movie. Personally I would've ended the series after Rocky Balboa which was a better ending than Rocky 5. Creed had traces of all 6 movies in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back