2014 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Thriller Ant

Beep Bop Boop
Let's see if we can get any responses in here, since there's been a bunch of big moves.

There's been a few major stories thus far:

1. The Blues (finally) acquire Ryan Miller

The first domino to fall was the rumored trade of Ryan Miller to St. Louis finally happening. He will be joined in the greatest city in America by Steve Ott, the second Sabres captain to be traded this year, while Chris Stewart, Jaroslav Halak, a prospect, and some draft picks going to Buffalo.

I'm biased, but I really thing the Blues made off pretty well. Stewart didn't really work well in Ken Hitchcock's system and Halak didn't have the consistency you'd want from the starting goaltender on a team with Stanley Cup aspirations. Ott should fit in well with the Blues and adds another veteran presence on a team that is very young.

For the Sabres, it is a very solid haul for a player that was not going to re-sign with the team this summer. Stewart and Halak both have pretty big cap hits, but are expiring and could realistically be flipped again by Buffalo before the deadline. Add in a solid prospect and at least one 1st round draft pick (there is also a 3rd round pick, and there's some conditional stuff that can get them a second 1st round pick) and a rebuilding Buffalo franchise has a chance to gain some talent through the draft.

2. Ducks are...sellers?

The Ducks, at the time of me writing this, are the number one team in the NHL by 3 points over the Blues. Yet, rather than trying to add a piece or staying pat, have instead been sending players away from Disneyland. First was Dustin Penner, who goes to Washington for a 4th round pick. They also sent Viktor Fasth to Edmonton for a 5th round pick this year and a 3rd round pick next year (we'll come back to this).

They did add defenseman Stephane Robidas, but he is currently on IR with a broken leg and his return date is uncertain. Clearly, Anaheim is hoping/thinking Robidas will be back for the playoffs, but as of right now, the Ducks trade deadline looks more like that of a rebuilding team.

3. The Oilers spin the goalie wheel again

The Ilya Bryzgalov experiment in Edmonton is over, as he heads to the Wild, who have plenty of goaltending issues of their own, for the picks they turned and sent to Anaheim for Fasth. It's almost sad what's gone on with the Oilers, as they have too much talent to struggle the way they have. Maybe Fasth will be the answer in goal for them.

4. Roberto Luongo: It all begins again

Luongo is finally out of Vancouver, heading back to Florida along with a prospect for goalie Jacob Markstrom and center Shawn Matthias. It's good that the saga with the Canucks is finally over, but Florida is not a good team right now. And there's still this:

Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

Ugh.

5. Martin St. Louis and Ryan Callahan are traded...for each other

This is the only official trade thus far today, according to ESPN's Trade Tracker. The Lightning will also receive a conditional 2nd round pick this year and a 2015 1st round pick. It's rumored that St. Louis demanded a trade, and the Rangers were the only team on his list. New York will get one more year of St. Louis after this one, while Callahan is a free agent this summer and rumored to be leaning toward signing with Buffalo, essentially his hometown team.

Steve Yzerman did well for having his back up against the wall, but Tampa Bay is definitely worse off due to this trade. Callahan can help them if they make a run this year, but into next year, the only immediate help the Lightning received is cap space.

Love the MSL/Callahan deal.

The thing about MSL being 38 is being overblown. Yes, he's 38. Yes, he's a veteran. Yes, he can probably see his career ending relatively soon. Thing is, his conditioning and durability have been among the best in the league. I see him the same way I see Teemu Selänne, Ray Whitney, Jaromír Jágr, etc. All players, playing well, and playing well into their forties.

I actually think he re-signs here, honestly, on another one or two-year deal when this one is up.

The Rangers went from question marks to contenders, like that.

I definitely think the Rangers are better off. They turned an expiring contract into 2 years of one of the NHL's best players. Losing the draft picks will always hurt, but I have no doubts that they are a better team now than they were 24 hours ago.

Well, thing is, they were never going to give Callahan his asking price, which is absurd for the type of player he is for this Rangers' team. To the Sabres, or another team in a rebuilding scenario, he's worth it. Not to this club. They're trying to win, and win now. They have enough pieces, and Lundqvist isn't getting any younger. Right now, they've got about a four year window, and that's now including MSL, as well as Nash, probably Richards (who I doubt they buyout now), etc.

So yeah, getting an Art Ross trophy winning P/G player, regardless of his age, is a win as far as I'm concerned. The picks won't matter if they're being taken 28-30th.

Well, thing is, they were never going to give Callahan his asking price, which is absurd for the type of player he is for this Rangers' team. To the Sabres, or another team in a rebuilding scenario, he's worth it. Not to this club. They're trying to win, and win now. They have enough pieces, and Lundqvist isn't getting any younger. Right now, they've got about a four year window, and that's now including MSL, as well as Nash, probably Richards (who I doubt they buyout now), etc.

So yeah, getting an Art Ross trophy winning P/G player, regardless of his age, is a win as far as I'm concerned. The picks won't matter if they're being taken 28-30th.

That really seems to be the theme of the trade deadline this year, and frankly I'm surprised it isn't more prevalent every year: We have no chance of re-signing this guy, what can we get for him? The big difference this year seems to be that the sellers are doing a damn good job of getting big returns. It'll be interesting to see if any of the buyers have some regrets in a couple years, especially if they aren't the ones to hoist the Cup.

There will probably be more trades rolling in; this is ESPN's Trade Tracker: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/page/nhltradetracker/nhl-trade-tracker

Here are some highlights:

• Jaroslav Halak is now on his 3rd team in a week, after Buffalo sends him to Washington
  • David Legwand is now in Detroit
  • Tuomo Ruutu has been sent to New Jersey
  • Matt Moulson is going to Minnesota
  • Thomas Vanek is now in Montreal, for a lot less than it cost for the Islanders to get him
  • Dallas and Florida swapped goalies (Dan Ellis and Tim Thomas, respectively)

Canucks are the winners this trade deadline!!! And then I woke up to reality ... seriously as a Canucks fan I really feel its time to rebuild. Even if the team makes it to the Playoffs there's no way they will make it past the 1st round. My suggestion is they should have traded more players with a limited NTC to cup contending teams.

They tried to. They were set to move Kesler to the Penguins for numerous pieces, which would have included Brandon Sutter, as well as a first-round pick, plus, and they had a secondary deal to move Edler to the Bruins for a deal around Alexander Khokhlachev and Matt Barkowski, which never happened because the Kesler deal didn't happen, and the Kesler deal didn't happen because Gillis, despite apparently being given the green light to deal Kesler and others, was stopped mid-day by Francesco Aquilini.

They tried to. They were set to move Kesler to the Penguins for numerous pieces, which would have included Brandon Sutter, as well as a first-round pick, plus, and they had a secondary deal to move Edler to the Bruins for a deal around Alexander Khokhlachev and Matt Barkowski, which never happened because the Kesler deal didn't happen, and the Kesler deal didn't happen because Gillis, despite apparently being given the green light to deal Kesler and others, was stopped mid-day by Francesco Aquilini.

In other words Aquilini doesn't trust Gillis in making a trade will probably fire Gillis and hire another GM to handle the rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back