2014 NHL Playoffs Predictions

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
East

Atlantic #1 BOS v. #4 DET — Sorry Wings, but you’re not getting this one done. No way. You’re lineup is already weak as it is, even with Zetterberg back (assuming he’s healthy to start). I think this one is gonna be damned close to a sweep, but just shy of it. Big Bad Bruins in five.

Atlantic #2 TBL v. #3 MTL — Were Bishop healthy, I’d feel so much more comfortable with this series going long, but he has been the biggest key to the Bolts’ success all year, and so long as he remains sidelined, so too are their chances to pull this one off. I have a feeling they make a little bit of a series of it, but you can already smell the blood in the waters of the second round BOS/MTL match-up. Sorry, Tampa, but it’s Canadiens in six.

Metro #1 PIT v. #4 CBJ — Oof. The Pens swept the season series, but good luck sweeping that Jackets’ club in their second-only post-season berth. That team plays hard as any team in the league. They’re gonna grind the living hell out of an already depleted Pens team. I still think the Pens eek it out, bu not without a hefty price. Pens in seven in a very, very close series with serious upset potential.

Metro #2 NYR v. #3 PHI — Yeah, like I’m not gonna take my own Rangers to win this one? Come on, people… Nah, but really, I do think the Rangers are the better club here, if for no other reason than the edge in goal. The teams split the season series games, but the Rangers have routinely owned the Flyers in the regular season the last four or five seasons, and if it’s Lundqvist versus Mason, I’m going with the former ten times out of ten. Rangers in six.

West

Central #1 COL v. #4 MIN — Spotlight: Avs defense. It’s been a “waiting for the other shoe to drop” story all year that they’ve managed to escape, but I’m not sure how much longer they’re gonna be able to skate by on that. Then again, maybe not? I think ultimately this comes down to speed versus not speed — I just don’t think the Wild can skate with them, so even if the goal differential gets ugly here, the Avs’ offense will outweigh the Wilds’ defense. Avs in six.

Central #2 STL v. #3 CHI — Ouch. This one sucks purely from the perspective that both these two clubs are clear cut Cup favorites, and one will be removed in the first round of the playoffs. Both teams are banged up, with Toews expected back, at least, for Chicago, and the Blues expected to get a few bodies back to start as well, but for my money, I have a tough time not taking the Blues here. They took the season series winning three of fives games, a few of those games without Ryan Miller. I think we’re going seven here, though. Blues in seven.

Pacific #1 ANA v. #4 DAL — This’ll be a beat ‘em up series, and good on the Stars for making something of what most had as a throwaway year one of a pretty significant rebuild. Unfortunately, you’re not quite there yet, and certainly not good enough to upset the Ducks. I actually think they get swept here. Ducks in four.

Pacific #2 SJS v. #3 LAK — Another beat ‘em up series, and another match-up where two Cup favorites (or at least one with the Sharks) will end up on their asses in the first round. This may even cost a few jobs depending on who comes out the winner. Unfortunately for the Kings, I think it might be on them, because I’ve got the Sharks in seven.

While I don't really follow the east with the slight exception of the Lightning, I'm hoping the Kings can get at least one game up in San Jose. I agree that the Ducks should steamroll the Stars. Looks like a toss up with STL & Chicago, and I'll take Avs over Minnesota in six.

East

A1 Boston vs. WC2 Detroit - Sure DET took 3 out of 4 against BOS in the regular season, but the Bruins' depth & experience plus Tuukka Rask shouldn't give them as many problems to advance into the 2nd round. Bruins in 5.

A2 Tampa Bay vs. A3 Montreal - Stamkos & Callahan should be able to keep TB in this series, but without Ben Bishop I can't see them getting past the Habs. Also, MON's offense has improved since they acquired Vanek & with Price in net, MON will advance. Canadiens in 6.

M1 Pittsburgh vs WC1 Columbus - Even though PIT swept CBJ 5-0 in the regular season, I think this will turn out to be a good series. I would like to say PIT takes this in 4 or 5, but with Geno's injury and Fleury sucking it up in the playoffs the last few years, CBJ could possibly take this series. Will they however? Probably not lol. Johansen & Jenner plus Fleury's flaws will help CBJ win a couple of games, but I'm sticking with PIT to advance due to their offense & experience. Also, I expect Malkin to miss one or two games at most in this series, so that shouldn't hurt PIT as much. Penguins in 6.

M2 NY Rangers vs. M3 Philadelphia - This series could go either way & as much as I want to say NYR advances because of Lundqvist, I think the Flyers will take it. With both teams expected to spend a majority of the time in the penalty box, I think this series will ultimately come down to the PP/penalty kill. With that being said, I think PHIs forwards in Voracek, Giroux, Simmonds, Hartnell, etc. will take better advantage of the PP. Plus with solid goaltending from Mason or Emery, they'll move on and escape a grueling, hard fought series from NY. Flyers in 7.

West

P1 Anaheim vs. WC2 Dallas – As a Stars fan, I should just be happy that they made the playoffs for the first time in 6 years, but there’s just no way I could pick the Ducks to eliminate them lol. With Frederik Andersen looking like the starter, hopefully Seguin, Jamie Benn, & Co. can hurt the rookie’s confidence early on. While the Stars do give away the puck too many damn times, hopefully that doesn’t hurt Lehtonen as much in this series. Stars in 7.

P2 San Jose vs. P3 Los Angeles – While LA has one of the top, if not the top, defenses in the NHL & Jonathan Quick is a beast, their offense concerns me quite a bit. I think Niemi will be okay, while Pavelski, Marleau, Thornton, etc. will do just enough to get past the Kings’ D and Quick. Going with SJ in a playoffs series has hurt me countless times in the past, but it looks like I’ll be picking them to win this series lol. Sharks in 6.

C1 Colorado vs. WC1 Minnesota – Wow, what a remarkable one-year turnaround by the Avs. Now as for this series, if Duchene were healthy, I probably would’ve picked COL to win but since he’s out for at least the first two games and if you add in COL’s inexperience, I’m going with another upset and picking MIN to advance. While it’s true that MIN’s offense could hurt them, Bryzgalov has played great since being acquired from Edmonton and I think he’ll be the main reason why the Wild advance into Round 2. Wild in 6.

C2 St. Louis vs. C3 Chicago – While CHI will be getting Toews & Kane back for Game 1, we still don’t know if guys like Tarasenko, Backes, Oshie, etc. will be ready for STL in this series. Obviously, the Blues took a huge hit after injuries to their key players cost them a division title & home-ice advantage throughout the playoffs. This will go seven games, but I’ll make this pick solely on the fact that I expect STL to get at least a majority of their top players back, which should help Ryan Miller plenty. Blues in 7.

So, my 2nd round matchups would be: A1 Boston vs. A3 Montreal, M1 Pittsburgh vs. M3 Philadelphia, P2 San Jose vs. WC2 Dallas, & C2 St. Louis vs. WC1 Minnesota.

Throwing them out there a little late(few series at 2 games in already).

East

Boston v Detroit I see Detroit surprising a few people in this series and taking it in 6. As long as they don't play like they did that ended their season. Wings in 6.

Tampa Bay v Montreal Alas without a goalie they can count on Tampa won't go as far as they could. They'll win one game at home but go out in Montreal 2 games later. Habs in 5.

Pittsburgh v Columbus They got their first playoff win in franchise history tonight and I think it is just the start. Really hoping for that big underdog win here. Blue Jackets in 7.

NYR v Flyers Tough battle series that could go either way. I see the Rangers getting an early 2-0 lead, Flyers tying it up and then they trade wins again for the Rangers to take it in game 7. Rangers in 7

West

Colorado v Minnesota Colorado looked very scary down the stretch and in game 1 they had a clutch tying goal and then won it in overtime. That momentum will carry easily into game 2 and onward. Avalanche in 6

St. Louis v Chicago I feel it is St. Louis' year and the 'Hawks won't stop that easily. Making this one two games in and with a potential hearing taking Seabrook out of the series but the first two went how I expected, St. Louis in OT in tough games. With all the momentum against them the 'Hawks will need to score early in game 3 to get the Madhouse rocking. If they don't capitalize on that home crowd it will be a very quick exit for the defending championsSt Louis in 6.

Anaheim v Dallas On paper this seems like it will be a very quick series. Nothing against the Stars the Ducks are just that good. I see the Stars winning one at home like the Lightning but an early exit is almost assured. Ducks in 5.

San Jose v Los Angeles The Sharks vs the Kings is a good matchup that could come down to goaltending. I see SJ walking away with this in the end but it will be exciting to watch. Sharks in 7.

I went 4-4 in the First Round.

East

A1 Boston vs. A3 Montreal - Perhaps the greatest rivalry in NHL history will be renewed once again in Boston vs. Montreal. Anyways, like the Red Wings did in the regular season, MON also took 3 out of 4 against the Bruins. While MON is great at getting under the skin of the Bruins' players & forcing them into penalties, I still think BOS will advance due to their depth, experience, and oh yeah Tuukka Rask. Bruins in 6.

M1 Pittsburgh vs. M2 NY Rangers - While Malkin began to show signs of life in the Columbus series, Crosby hasn’t scored a postseason goal in what more than 10 games now? I think he’ll have a great series where he’ll score several goals against NYR. It’ll be tough against Lundqvist & the Rangers, but PIT will find a way to advance. While the Penguins’ defense & Fleury can be shitty at times, their depth will prove to be too much for the inconsistent Rangers to handle. Penguins in 7.

West

P1 Anaheim vs. P3 Los Angeles - Aside from the fact that I hate the Ducks lol, I still think the Kings will win this series. First, they have all the momentum in the world after overcoming a 3-0 deficit to defeat the Sharks. Second, the Ducks now have a goalie controversy brewing which could prove to be a distraction for the team even if they go to LA tied at one game apiece. (Personally, I’d go with Hiller over Andersen). While the Kings’ offense still worries me, they absolutely turned it around beginning in Game 4 of the SJ series. Also beginning in that game, the Kings’ defense and Quick woke up after looking like shit in the first three games. So, in short, LA will carry that momentum over and head to the Western Conference Finals for the third straight year. Kings in 6.

C3 Chicago vs. WC1 Minnesota - Doesn’t matter who is at goal for MIN because CHIs depth on both sides of the puck will prove to be too much for Kuemper and/or Bryzgalov to overcome. I want to say CHI sweeps them, but MIN will probably win one of their two home games as Parise, Koivu, and the rest of the Wild’s offense will get to Crawford in either Game 3 or 4. Needless to say, this will be the least interesting series of the four 2nd round matchups lol. Blackhawks in 5.

So my Conference Finals matchups would be: A1 Boston vs. M1 Pittsburgh & C3 Chicago vs. P3 Los Angeles.

I went 2-2 in the Second Round.

East

A3 Montreal vs. M2 NY Rangers - This is a tough series to predict as I expect both Lundqvist & Price to continue their outstanding play in the ECF. However, the difference will be P.K. Subban, Max Pacioretty, & Co. While the Rangers did do a great job in shutting down PITs PP, I don’t expect them to be nearly as successful against MON in this series. Also, I expect Galchenyuk to be back at some point for the Habs in this series, which could provide a boost for MON if the series is as close as I predict it will be. Canadiens in 6.

West

C3 Chicago vs. P3 Los Angeles - To say that LA’s postseason has been a roller-coaster is an understatement lol & while it’s hard to go against the Kings who refuse to quit when their backs are against the wall, I’m going with CHI here. I think fatigue will finally set in for Quick and the Kings from having to overcome deficits of 3-0 & 3-2 this postseason, and also they play a Blackhawks team that they have only beaten TWICE since the 2013 lockout shortened NHL season opener. CHIs already a deep team but with Shaw expected back for them at some point in this series, it just got a little tougher for LA. Blackhawks in 6.

So my 2014 Stanley Cup Finals matchup would be: C3 Chicago vs. A3 Montreal.

Ouch! Went 0-2 in the Conference Finals.

2014 Stanley Cup Finals

P3 Los Angeles vs. M2 NY Rangers - Even though I've predicted the Rangers to lose every series this postseason, I think LA will win their second Cup in three years...which Rangers fans should take as good news lol. While Lundqvist has played superb & Quick has been meh in these playoffs, I think Quick will play much better in these Finals while LA's offense will continue their momentum (they have averaged nearly 3.5 goals/game this postseason). Quick will also be motivated to try & out duel Henrik since this is perhaps the first time in a few years where Quick goes into a playoff series where he's not the best goalie on the ice. Another reason I'm picking the Kings to win is because they have showed more mental toughness than the Rangers have as they've overcome a 3-0 deficit in the 1st round, 3-2 deficit in the 2nd round, & coming back against CHI on the road in Game 7 after being down 2-0 (this after nearly pissing away a 3-1 series lead against the defending champions). With LA having played the maximum 21 games just to get to the Stanley Cup Finals & NYR playing 20 of 21, I expect this series to go the distance but the Kings will win their fourth Game 7 of this postseason, all on the road, in overtime. Kings in 7.

Conn Smythe Trophy Winner: Anze Kopitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back