2013-14 NFL Thread

The NFL is ridiculous. Ndamukong Suh fined 100k for a low block? Something that will happen at least 50 other times this year, with few, if any drawing any kind of fine? If he stomps on a guy again, fine. Deserves the fine, suspension, whatever. But we are talking about a low block, a play that 100% legal last season, in the first game of the year, before the players have truly adjusted to the new rules in place.

Clay Matthew's cheap shot on Colin Kaepernick was much, much dirtier, is Matthews even going to get fined anything?

The NFL is ridiculous. Ndamukong Suh fined 100k for a low block? Something that will happen at least 50 other times this year, with few, if any drawing any kind of fine? If he stomps on a guy again, fine. Deserves the fine, suspension, whatever. But we are talking about a low block, a play that 100% legal last season, in the first game of the year, before the players have truly adjusted to the new rules in place.

Clay Matthew's cheap shot on Colin Kaepernick was much, much dirtier, is Matthews even going to get fined anything?

Suh brought this on himself by his earlier actions. Now he's under a microscope. I'm not saying he should've been fined, but now everything he does will be scrutinized even more than it should be. Is the fine pretty ridiculous? Yes. But Suh needs to build his credit back up before he's given any sort or leverage.

As for the Matthews hit, I didn't see it as that dirty. Illegal? Yes. Should it have been a penalty? Yes. He didn't even begin to launch himself until Kaepernick was already one foot out of bounds. The overreaction by SF was in part due to Matthews' claim that they were going to go after Kaepernick.

And for anyone complaining about the ref's screw ups on that play, I think it all worked out. First off, they admitted afterward that they never should've called Staley for the unsportsmalike conduct. That would've put SF 1st and Goal inside the 5. Secondly, who says SF doesn't go for it on 4th and 2? Can you see the future? I can't.

I'm a Lions fan and I will say that the hit wasn't necessarily "dirty" but moreso a little cheap and completely unnecessary. Sullivan wasn't going to catch Levy, that was obvious. What no one is talking about (including the league) is how Sullivan embellished his fall and then immediately grabbed his knee to sell it to the refs. THAT part of it was ridiculous.

As for the Mathews thing, I don't see how he's not getting fined. That was far, far worse than what Suh did. He basically close-lined Kaepernick way out of bounds.

Suh is being fined because of his reputation (which admittedly he did bring on himself) and that is unfair. If a play is dirty, it's dirty but fines shouldn't be based on reputation.

I'm a Lions fan and I will say that the hit wasn't necessarily "dirty" but moreso a little cheap and completely unnecessary. Sullivan wasn't going to catch Levy, that was obvious. What no one is talking about (including the league) is how Sullivan embellished his fall and then immediately grabbed his knee to sell it to the refs. THAT part of it was ridiculous.

As for the Mathews thing, I don't see how he's not getting fined. That was far, far worse than what Suh did. He basically close-lined Kaepernick way out of bounds.

Suh is being fined because of his reputation (which admittedly he did bring on himself) and that is unfair. If a play is dirty, it's dirty but fines shouldn't be based on reputation.

Agreed. I am not disputing that it was illegal play, that Suh deserved the penalty, or that it was unnecessary. I am only disputing the ridiculously excessive amount the NFL decided to fine him. The fine wasn't based on what he actually did, but what their image of Suh is. The NFL should fine players the same amount for the same penalties.

Low blocks like that are going to happen in almost every NFL game this year. Some will get flagged, some will get flagged and fined, others simply won't be called. This is not an overly egregious penalty, it is not like taking a facemask and trying to rip it off the guy's head with his head still in it, it's not getting into a physical fight with punches thrown, it's just a block that got a little low, done during the immediacy of the game.

Basically, fines should be dealt with in a vacuum. If Player A commits an illegal low block and is fined 15k, then if Player B commits an illegal low block, he should also be fined 15k. The way the NFL fine system works now, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the amount they levy, other than that's the amount they felt like. It's completely arbitrary. Now, if Player A commits the exact same low block again, bump it up. I get that. But, there needs to be a graduated scale that acts as a guideline. If I get pulled over for speeding, depending on how fast I was going, I already know approximately how much the ticket is going to cost me. That's all I am saying.

The NFL is getting ridiculous with its fines yes, but Suh should just shut up and be happy that he didn't get suspended. I thought the guy should have been arrested for that stomp last season, and wow what a surprise his name comes up in the very first game of this season. I think the guy is trash, and shouldn't even be allowed to play in the league. Watch and see his name will come up for these types of things again and again and again. I am going to take some heat for this, but sorry guys it is the truth.

suh1.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Look who far away Sullivan is from Levy. That's about 3 or 4 yards.

In real time:

badsuh_medium.gif

Does anybody actually think Sullivan, a center, is actually going to catch Levy, a linebacker? The point here is that there was no need for that block. Levy was going to score the TD. It was a dirty play and Suh's reputation doesn't help him. He is known among his peers as the dirtiest player in the NFL.

If player A and player B both committed horse collar tackles the same week yet it was player A's first time offense and player B's 5th offense (the other 4 for various reasons) I could see why they should fine player B more.

In real time:

badsuh_medium.gif

Does anybody actually think Sullivan, a center, is actually going to catch Levy, a linebacker? The point here is that there was no need for that block. Levy was going to score the TD. It was a dirty play and Suh's reputation doesn't help him. He is known among his peers as the dirtiest player in the NFL.

If player A and player B both committed horse collar tackles the same week yet it was player A's first time offense and player B's 5th offense (the other 4 for various reasons) I could see why they should fine player B more.

Unnecessary blocking occurs all the time in defensive returns without anyone bitching. Hines Ward was notorious for it. I'm not saying his hit wasn't against the rules, but it's not uncommon.

In real time:

badsuh_medium.gif

Look at the Mathews "hit" on Kapernick though. Kaepernick is stepping out of bounds (clearly, there is no way he can cut back in bounds and there are two other packers bracketing him) and Mathews leaves his feet, flies through the air, and pulls down Kaepernick by the neck. Why was Mathews not fined? How is that not just as, or even more dirty than Suh's hit? Pulling a QB down by the neck (as the defender flies through the air) when he's out of bounds is very dirty. The 49ers thought so as a fight ensued.

I agree that Suh deserved some kind of punishment but prior reputation shouldn't have any bearing on whether a guy is fined or not.

Look at the Mathews "hit" on Kapernick though. Kaepernick is stepping out of bounds (clearly, there is no way he can cut back in bounds and there are two other packers bracketing him) and Mathews leaves his feet, flies through the air, and pulls down Kaepernick by the neck. Why was Mathews not fined? How is that not just as, or even more dirty than Suh's hit? Pulling a QB down by the neck (as the defender flies through the air) when he's out of bounds is very dirty. The 49ers thought so as a fight ensued.

I agree that Suh deserved some kind of punishment but prior reputation shouldn't have any bearing on whether a guy is fined or not.

Matthews was fined $15,000
I agree that his hit was just as dirty as Suh's. Especially when you take into consideration the comments he made leading up to the game. You have to kind of question the hit when you add that part into it.

This was the complaint I was trying to make in the LD last night. The NFL and the officials are so inconsistent with fines and penalties. We see it all the time and there's no one to hold them accountable. Suh's play was dirty and he didn't need to make the block but is Nick Mangold going to get fined $100,000 for his low hit on Aqib Talib? Not likely. Maybe the difference is that he didn't hit him from behind but if he gets fined I bet it's a lot less than what Suh was fined.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9677361/nfl-wants-flag-more-players-using-profanity-games

NFL refs are going to start throwing more flags for players directing profanities at other players.

They're citing the amount of scuffles in week one and the Thursday Jets and Patriots game for the reasoning they are doing it.

They said swearing is not against the rules but directing swears against another player is technically unsportsman like conduct.

One such penalty came in the Panthers game I believe it was.

I get they're trying to cut down on the scuffles and stuff but is this really needed?

Thoughts?

Yet another reason the NFL is full of shit when it comes to penalties...that 100k penalty against Suh would never have occurred if Suh played offensive lineman instead of defensive. That's right, folks. That exact same low block is perfectly legal if it's an offensive lineman doing it instead of a defensive lineman. Sorry, but if it is legal for one side, it should be legal for both. Or, if it is illegal for one, it should be illegal for all. Take your pick. It is this blatant double standard that makes me think Ndamukong Suh actually has a fairly decent chance at winning his appeal, stacked rulebook not withstanding.

The Vikings signed Josh Freeman to a 1 year, $3 million deal. This is a solid signing for them. Christian Ponder does not look like the qb of the future and Matt Cassell certainly isn't that guy either. Freeman is still relatively young and has some talent so this is a low risk high reward move. The Vikings are 1-3 in one of the toughest divisions in football so them making the playoffs is slim to none. After he learns the offense, the last half of the season can serve as a tryout basically for Freeman.

I noticed this thread hasn't had a post since October, but it's useful for things that aren't worth making threads over so I'm going to go ahead and "bump" it.

There have been a lot of different head coach hirings since "Black Monday", and just today the Vikings have decided to hire Mike Zimmerman as their new head coach. Zimmerman had been the defensive coordinator for the Bengals before that. In fact this is the first time that Zimmerman is at the helm of a team. All of his other roles were solely defensive minded. I like the hiring. I think it was a good choice to hire outside, as Leslie Frazier was an inside hiring and that didn't work out in the long run.

As for the other hirings, most of them have already been talked about by me or others. But Jim Caldwell was hired by the Lions yesterday. When I first though about it I thought it was a good hiring, and it still is. But then I came to think that he really didn't do anything that special in Indianapolis. Yes he took them to a Super Bowl and that is impressive, but that was his second year with the job. I think he's good, but he also only lasted about four years or so as the head coach and that is what isn't impressive. Still he is a great defensive minded coach, was great with the Ravens. I think he at least deserves this chance, and with the Lions it's a good team to start.

Ken Whisenhunt was hired by the Titans. I also think this is a good hiring as Whisenhunt is a good offensive guy, and I think he could be Jake Locker's saving grace and really Locker's last chance to break out. Locker was actually playing somewhat well before his injury last year, and they have some young talent on that team along with Chris Johnson who hasn't been getting called on as much as he was a few years ago. It's a team that has some potential to compete for the division in a couple of years. Although apparently Whisenhunt says that he isn't going to rule out drafting a QB, so that will be an interesting story in a couple of months.

Jay Gruden was hired by the Redskins. I think Gruden will work well if RGIII. Obviously everyone was a little unimpressed with his season. Although I actually didn't think it was that bad, other than the lack of his run game which is explainable he was coming off knee surgery, his numbers were fairly identical to his rookie season. If Gruden can make Andy Dalton win the division, then I think he can definitely do well with the Washington offense.

Bill O'Brien was hired by the Texans. I was never a big Greg Schiano fan, but clearly their decay this season had more to do with the coaching than it did anything else. Injuries didn't help either, but the majority of this starting squad at the start of the season consists of the same players from last year's team, the team that had won the AFC South two straight years. Schiano needed to go, and with the Texans having the first overall pick I think Bill O'Brien is in a great spot to do what Andy Reid did with the Chiefs last year. Get Bridgewater, have a healthy Arian Foster, DeAndre Hopkins is developed more...their offense is going to be great, and their defense will need some work but it can get back to how it was as well especially with JJ Watt leading it.

Lastly, Tampa Bay hired Lovie Smith. Lovie was a guy who's firing after the 2012 season was unjust to me. He led Chicago to a 10-6 season, and although they missed the playoffs with a bad second half decline, it was still not justified to fire the head coach in my mind. The Bears started out fantastic, and their defense was one of the most dominant in the league mostly due to Lovie's defensive knowledge and Brian Urlacher leading the team. Losing both of those obviously didn't fair well in 2013, and I'm not a big fan of Mark Trestman or whatever his name is either. Lovie Smith taking over for Tampa Bay is good for that team, really good. He is a good coach, and he will really help turn it around. Mike Glennon is a Quarterback that I see with a lot of potential, they have Doug Martin, and an aging Vincent Jackson that still has a lot to offer in Tampa Bay. While I'm not sure if their turn around will be immediate, in a couple of years it might especially if Atlanta is unable to do so. Still they have the Saints and Panthers in that division. After Brees retires, which is awhile away, I can see the Saints begin to decline while the Panthers and Bucs take over that division. It's still a ways down the road though so I'm not making any big predictions.

The only head coaching job that I believe is still available, is the one for the Cleveland Browns. And like I said in another thread, that job is the least wanted head coaching job in the league. Unfortunately, though it is the last one left as well. Candidates were even calling former HC Rob Chudzinszki and asking him what went down in Cleveland. From what I hear a lot of people think the Cleveland front office may be a little fishy. That along with the lifespan of the former coaches, it isn't the most wanted job in the league. But they do have more than just one first rounder in the draft this spring, and an aspiring defense. Still there have already been two candidates that have withdrawn interest from taking the job. When that happens, the Browns are going to begin getting more and more desperate, which also means whoever is chosen for the job won't be the best guy to choose from. Not a good thing.

That is everything about the head coaches. Personally, I haven't heard anything but I do believe Joe Philbin, head coach of the Miami Dolphins, will be fired either this year or next year. My reasoning behind that is they just fired their GM. Once they hire a new one I think he'll more than likely give Philbin the axe. In more cases than not that is what happens when a new GM is brought in. If he does keep Joe Philbin for the 2014 season, if they have a season like last year or worse, which is more than likely, then I can definitely see him getting fired.

So from what I hear the Cleveland Browns are actually offering special teams coaches the job for head coach. That is bad, I'm not sure if I've even heard of a special teams coach making the jump all the way to head coach. I think it's going to be another depressing year in the factory of sadness. Quite a shame for Johnny Manziel.

Another thing I wanted to talk about is Mark Ingram. Every time the guy gets in there and gets carries he looks good to me, but the problem is he doesn't get anywhere near a lot of opportunities. What I was saying before is that I wish they got rid of those punks Thomas and Sproles and just made Ingram their every down guy. There is a better solution to that though, and the reason to that is because Ingram just doesn't fit the New Orleans offense. What I hope happens is that either Ingram gets traded, or he leaves when his contract is up. He needs to go somewhere where he will be used in a rough it out offense. Not somewhere like New England, Carolina, or New Orleans where they use multiple backs the entire game.

So from what I hear the Cleveland Browns are actually offering special teams coaches the job for head coach. That is bad, I'm not sure if I've even heard of a special teams coach making the jump all the way to head coach.

John Harbaugh. The Ravens hired him after he spent 10 years as the Special Teams Coordinator for the Eagles. He hasn't done too bad for himself.

John Harbaugh. The Ravens hired him after he spent 10 years as the Special Teams Coordinator for the Eagles. He hasn't done too bad for himself.

Alright solid point, John Harbaugh is an excellent exception. Although keep in mind Harbaugh also worked as the defensive backs coach as well in Philly, along with working with many schools such as Indiana, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh.

To be fair, one of the candidates I have heard from the Browns is the Cowboys Special Teams coached, Rich Bisaccia. He actually has been an Assistant Coach before with San Diego and Tampa Bay, so he has had that.

The point though is that at this point in time there are slim pickings for popular head coach choices. I'm sure there are hidden gems, and if the Browns take their time maybe they'll find one.

So apparently Radiers RB Darren McFadden plans on testing the free agency. In my short opinion I think Oakland should let him. McFadden is a bust in my eyes. While he did have one good year, I think that was his one and only. Oakland would be better off letting McFadden walk, and resign Rashad Jennings to give him a chance at the job. That or sign a new RB in the free agency

Or if they don't trust McFadden they could draft a running back earlier, but honestly they can't afford to do that at this time as there are far too many holes to fill first.

Anyone else think the same thing? Or do you think McFadden is still worth keeping?

Edit: Also in other news Norv Turner has agreed to become the OC of the Minnesota Vikings. I think it's good for both sides. Norv Turner is definitely way better suited to be an offensive coordinator than a head coach, and hopefully he does well in Minnesota with Adrian Peterson to build an offense around.

The Browns have finally filled that vacant Head Coach position. Mike Pettine, former defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets will be taking the job. I honestly do not know a whole lot about him, but he was apparently Rex Ryan's right hand man during his time with the Jets. And during that time that was when the Jets were actually playing very well, going to two AFC Championship games.

If they're going to bring anyone in, a defensive minded man is the best choice for that squad. He can really help develop that potentially dangerous defense.

So are there any early predictions on who's going to win the Super Bowl this year from anyone? Anyone think it'll be a team that didn't make the playoffs last year? I don't know, the last three years we've had nearly the same teams make the conference rounds, and the teams that didn't were in the divisional rounds. A lot of people actually seem to think San Francisco will end up winning it, but I think Seattle will still win the division and I don't think SF will get there from the wild card. Plus the Cardinals are knocking on the door to try and get into the playoffs as well, but I think they missed their chance last year. Saints are a team I could see going back, but they've got work to do. If New Orleans uses Mark Ingram as their primary running back for once, and he has a monster year, I can see them contending for sure, as far as the Panthers and Falcons go I can see the Panthers coming back to earth a little bit especially if they don't get Jackson, but the Falcons I can see bouncing back especially once Roddy White is back with the team. As far as the NFC East goes I don't know, that division was so bad last year. I've been saying the Cowboys will make the playoffs though for the last three years and they never have, so I'm not picking them this year. Then again I don't like the Giants, Redskins, or Eagles either. It's hard to say still before the draft, but I think the Redskins or Eagles will do it. Then with Rodgers back for a full year, and now Eddie Lacy in his sophomore year the Green Bay offense will be on top, but their defense is so weak so the Bears could knock on the door, but I personally think Chicago will contend for the wild card. Lions and Vikings don't have a chance at playoffs.

The AFC is entirely different. It's so watered down who knows. In the AFC North I think the Bengals will actually miss the playoffs, the Steelers will win the division, and the Ravens will be right behind them in the wild card. If not the Ravens, then the Bengals will win the wild card and the Ravens will miss. But I like the moves the Steelers have made this offseason, and with a good draft which they usually have, and their rookies from last year being more developed, they could definitely do it but it depends on health and who gets injured. But the Browns made some huge moves too, their defense is solid, but their offense is so weak they won't even win eight games. I don't even have to question the east, Pats win and no other teams make it. AFC South is hard to say, if the Texans draft a QB they could definitely contend maybe even win the division but at least make the wild card, but if they take Clowney they won't go far they need a Quarterback. Colts will be up there as always, and I honestly would like to see them make a run at the Super Bowl. As far as the Titans and Jags go, no chance of making it. Then of course the west. I can see the Broncos easily winning the division again, but there's two ways that I can see things go down. Either Denver wins the division and the Chiefs miss the playoffs, or Denver does worse, the Chiefs win the division, and the Broncos are a wild card. The first scenario is the most likely as I see the Chiefs coming down to earth as well, but this whole 'dream team' Elway is building makes me question their success, because there's a repeated history that shows when teams stack up with free agents that they end up having a bust, but Denver already has enough talent from last year to avoid that unlike other teams, but I still don't see them making it to the Super Bowl again, probably they'll lose their first playoff game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back