NBA Thread - 2013-14

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
The 2012-13 NBA season is over with the Miami Heat defeating the San Antonio Spurs to win the NBA Title. The off season begins tomorrow with the NBA Draft and on Monday we have the start of free agency. Use this thread to discuss the NBA off season (free agency, trades, etc.) and the upcoming NBA season. All general NBA discussion for the next year belongs in this thread.

Here's my mock NBA Draft.

1. Cleveland- Nerlens Noel- The Cavs have their biggest need at small forward but word is they don't see Otto Porter or Anthony Bennet as guys who make them better at the position right away. They also need a big man and I think they'll choose Noel over Alex Len.

2. Orlando- Victor Oladipo- The Magic (like many teams) are looking for trade partners, but taking trades out of the scenario it looks as if they think Oladipo is the second best player in this draft after Noel. They are likely going to be giving up Aaron Afflalo to get Eric Bledsoe so shooting guard is a need.

3. Washington- Otto Porter- The Wizards need a small forward and seem to like Porter more then Bennett.

4. Charlotte- Anthony Bennett- The Bobcats are always very secretive about what they are doing on draft night but my gut feeling is telling me they will take Bennett. He is big enough to play the 4 and would start right away for the Bobcats.

5. Phoenix- Ben McLemore- He has really fallen out of grace after initially being seen as the potential number one pick, but I think Phoenix will pick him up if he drops this far.

6. New Orleans- Alex Len- The Pelicans seem to love Alex Len for some reason. He does have a lot of potential to be a very good center but I see him as a bust. Personally I'd rather have Trey Burke.

7. Sacramento- CJ McCollum- The Kings are looking to trade Jimmer Fredette and Tyreke Evans is a restricted free agent. McCollum can come in and score right away.

8. Detroit- Trey Burke- I'm biased but I think Burke will end up being the best player in this draft. He was doubted coming out of high school because of his size and he ended up becoming the National Player of the Year and led Michigan to the National Title game. He is having the same doubts coming into the pros and that chip on his shoulder will lead him to greatness.

9. Minnesota- Kentavious Caldwell-Pope- The T'Wolves need a shooting guard and while they covet Oladipo, Pope is a fine alternative at 9. He is your prototypical NBA two guard.

10. Portland- Cody Zeller- Portland has put LaMarcus Aldridge on the trading block (for what reason I don't know) and their pick last year, Meyers Leonard, didn't do much as a rookie. Zeller may never be a star but he has the skill to be a starting big man for years to come.

11. Philadelphia- Steven Adams- The 76ers may not be resigning Andrew Bynum and Adams could end up being a very good starting center with some seasoning.

12. Oklahoma City- Kelly Olynyk- The Thunder could use some depth inside especially considering how awful Kendrick Perkins is. Olynyk can play right away and will be a nice bench scorer.

13. Dallas- Michael Carter-Williams- The Mavericks would like to trade this pick but if Carter-Williams is still around at this point I think they keep it and make the pick. I see a lot of Devin Harris in his game except a little more of a passer and less of a scorer.

14. Utah- Lucas Nogueira- The Jazz need a point guard but unless one of the top three is here they won't reach at this spot. With Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap both free agents, getting another big man makes sense.

15. Milwaukee- Dennis Schroeder
16. Boston- Giannis Antetokounmpo
17. Atlanta- Mason Plumlee
18. Atlanta- Shabazz Muhammad
19. Cleveland- Reggie Bullock
20. Chicago- Tim Hardaway Jr
21. Utah- Shane Larkin
22. Brooklyn- Gorgui Dieng
23. Indiana- Isaiah Canaan
24. New York- Jamaal Franklin
25. LA Clippers- Allan Crabbe
26. Minnesota- Tony Mitchell
27. Denver- Glen Rice Jr
28. San Antonio- Rudy Gobert
29. Oklahoma City- Ricardo Ledo
30. Phoenix- Tony Snell

There is a big trade being finalized between Boston and Brooklyn. The Celtics will send Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Jason Terry to Brooklyn for Kris Humphries' expiring contract, Gerald Wallace, Tornike Shengelia, Reggie Evans, Keith Bogans, and three first round picks. Basically KG and Pierce for three first round picks and expiring contracts with the teams exchanging bad contracts in Jason Terry and Gerald Wallace.

This confirms Boston's complete blow up of the team and it makes Brooklyn more of a contender. The Nets will be old but a lineup of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Brook Lopez, with Jason Terry as the sixth man can do some damage.

I'm very happy that the Jazz got Burke. There's a helluva young core coming together on that roster; Trey Burke, Alec Burks, Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, and Enes Kanter all have great upside. They won't be a contender this year, but they can be in a few years if all their players come along and they have another good draft next year. It'll also be intriguing to see if they make any moves in free agency, or save their money for next year's free agency pool.

EDIT: And they've apparently traded for Rudy Gobert. What a day for the Jazz.

I have my doubts about this trade for the Nets. Sure they upgraded both forward positions without losing much in the short term but this team has a lot of heavy legs. And they are giving up 3 first round picks so basically this is all in for this year and all in again next year in free agency.

Pierce and Johnson are both volume shooters. Williams primary strength is in his scoring. Where will the offensive rebounding come from now that Humphries and Evans are traded? Garnett will wear himself out at his age if they ask him to pick up that slack. They are getting slower while the rest of the league is getting faster.

I am rather surprised by the results of the Cavaliers drafting tonight. Bennett is probably the last of the top six guys I expected them to pick. Noel and Len were obvious fits. They expressed some interest in shooting guards, so McLemore or Oladipo could have fit. Otto Porter was also an obvious fit. The only guy that really didn't make sense was Anthony Bennett, and, well, that's what they did. Chris Grant has been an exceptionally unconventional drafter so far, but it's generally paid off, it seems. Tristan Thompson has proven to be better than most of the other potential #4 overall picks in 2011 - though Jonas in Toronto had a great rookie year, and may wind up making the Cavaliers regret not taking him. Dion Waiters also turned out to be a pretty solid pick, so in general I trust Chris Grant to know what he's doing. Unlike Thompson and Waiters, though, there's no clear path to a starting role for Bennett, which is generally what you expect for a high lottery pick, especially #1 overall. I think, though, that the right strategy would be to start limiting Varejao to ~28 minutes per game for the sake of his health. The other tenet they must keep in mind is to minimize Varejao and Thompson being on the court at the same time, as their skill sets are very similar and they tend to inhibit one another. With that in mind, the Cavaliers can do this:

1) Go small with the starting lineup, starting Bennett at the 4 and Thomspon at the 5. Thompson excelled as a center in limiting playing time there in 2011. Varejao plays off the bench in relief of Thompson and/or Bennett, sliding between 4 and 5.
2) Start Bennett and Varejao and play Thompson off the bench. This would sort of invert the previous idea, and would still see Thompson getting more minutes than Varejao, but the bigger starting lineup might play into the Cavaliers advantage more.

The other possible option is to experiment with Bennett at the three. It'd be kind of weird, but it could be an interesting thing to see how it plays out. The starting lineup in this case is sort of awkward, though, with Bennett, Thompson, and Varejao all on the court at the same time.

Karasev is a great call who I was hoping we would land and thought we would need to trade up to land. That turned out not to be the case, and I think he'll be very valuable either coming off the bench or even starting at small forward. I like him a lot. He'll be able to play 2 or 3 and gives us some flexibility.

I know very little about Carrick Felix. He is on a non guaranteed deal, so the Cavaliers might not even ever see him. I see him getting time in the D-League if he does make it to the roster. I think he is a guy that the Cavaliers picked up in the hopes of developing him more. They may also wish to make a small forward of him, but I'm not sure that will work.

I think the Cavaliers should try to make an aggressive play in free agency. Their goal should still be to have the cap space and the playoff caliber team to attract LeBron in 2014. Clearly, they have the cap space now, but making the playoffs with the current roster is a little iffy. I think they need a few veteran players, and maybe one big impact player, and I think they can manage that while retaining the cap space to make a max deal offer to LeBron if he opts out in Miami. A small forward on a 1 or 2 year deal and a legitimate center who could allow Varejao to move to the bench full time (Pekovic is the guy on my wish list) would be ideal.

I think the Cavaliers have set themselves up well for a good year, but need to have a good free agency to make the playoffs. The Eastern Conference will remain a pretty easy place to make the playoffs, of course, as a losing team did so in 2013 and several teams are entering rebuilding (Philly, Boston) by moving talent to the West or to teams in the East that were already going to the playoffs anyway. So, the Cavs should have a strong chance of doing so in 2013-2014.

This was honestly one of the weirdest drafts I've ever seen. The top 7 guys everyone predicted did get chosen but in an order I'm sure no one would've guessed. I believe this draft was the draft of the best role player which isn't a bad thing. Bennett was a surprise at #1. He kind of gives me a feel of someone like Emeka Okafor but boy, do I hope I'm wrong. The Cavs have an interesting situation on their hands.

Lots of draft day deals happened but none more important than the Brooklyn/Boston trade. What a trade! The Celtics did a good job of getting three draft picks though for two players who were on the decline. I would've liked for Pierce to retire a Celtic which could still happen, but it wouldn't be the same. Hopefully Boston uses their amnesty clause on Gerald Wallace because they already have Jeff Green, which will prompt the Celtics to check out what the free agent market has to offer. Boston will be a team to watch, poor Rondo though. That Bill Simmons/Doc exchange was a joy to watch though, Simmons = GOAT.

Now let's talk about my Lakers. They got Ryan Kelly and I'm pumped for this! I was hoping they'd get Peyton Siva or Seth Curry but Ryan Kelly is a solid choice. Kelly reminds me of Ryan Anderson and I hope he pans out to be just like him. The Lakers get their stretch 4 which may result in them not signing Jamison, wouldn't mind that at all. So for the bench they have: Morris, Goudelock, Blake, Kelly, Sacre, Meeks, certainly needs a lot of work. The Lakers just need to sort out this whole Dwight saga and hopefully get a sign and trade with the Rockets to get back Osik, Robinson, and maybe Parsons, that'd be ideal.

Overall, draft day proved just how busy of an offseason this offseason will be. A lot of teams got really good such as the Pelicans and Nets. Can't wait to see what the offseason will bring, let's get to it!

Anthony Bennett is big but he can certainly play the three spot in the NBA. He has more then enough quickness and athleticism to guard even some of the smaller 3's. He is a Larry Johnson type player, although I don't think he will ever be as good as Johnson.

I really liked the draft for my Pistons. For selfish reasons I was hoping for Trey Burke but with Mo Cheeks coming in as head coach it looks like they still believe Brandon Knight can play the point in the NBA. With how hard Knight works and with how young he is, I'm more then wiling to give him another year or two. With that being said they needed a two guard and got the underrated KCP. Pope is a great outside shooter, great athlete, and he can defend. If he develops any sort of mid range game then he will be very dangerous. In the second round they got an absolute steal in Tony Mitchell who can bring his elite athleticism off the bench to spell Monroe and Drummond and with their final pick they got Peyton Siva who doesn't have much of an offensive game but he has great leadership skills and is a tough defender.

A fairly big three team trade took place today between the Clippers, Suns, and Bucks. LA is receiving JJ Redick from Milwaukee and Jared Dudley from Phoenix, the Suns are getting Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler from LA, and the Bucks are getting two second round picks.

This is a great trade for the Clippers as they basically get a younger version of Caron Butler in Dudley and they get their new starting shooting guard in JJ Redick. I expect both Redick and Dudley to start for the Clippers next season.

It's also a very good trade for Phoenix as they basically just give up Dudley who wasn't seen as part of their future and they get Caron Butler who is in the final year of his contract plus a guy in Eric Bledsoe who some believe could become an all star point guard in the future.

For the Bucks they made an awful trade at the deadline this past season to give up on Tobias Harris for Redick when chances were low that Redick would re-sign. They make up for it a little by at least getting something in return for the guy, but two second round picks are nothing to write home about.

Not too sure on this move on the part of the Phoenix Suns. They already have Dragic so why trade for Bledsoe? Unless Bledsoe plays the 2 or Dragic is being traded. The Suns are a mess right now with Scola and Gortat seemingly not happy where they're at. But we'll see how that goes.

The Clippers have certainly been busy this offseason and this trade for them was brilliant. You get Dudley who I think is very underrated as a defender and well, he can shoot pretty good too. Then there's Redick, we all know know this guy can shoot and has become a pretty good defender as well. Clippers looking like a force but we'll see if they add more to their bench. Crawford, Odom, Green, Turiaf, Hollins, am I missing someone? They need more bench players for sure.

In other news, Kevin Martin has reportedly sign with the Timberwolves for 28 million over 4 years. LOLTHUNDER. Sure, trade a guy like Harden for a one year rental, awesome job.

Redick is NOT a Starting SG quality. But then again they used Willie Green last season as a starter so I guess they weren't that flushed there either. Now they do have 2 quality SG in Redick and Jarmal Crawford to make it work by committee. I like the deal to obtain Dudley to upgrade from Butler. Dudley is a younger version of Butler with way better shooting range to help space the floor better for the starting unit.

Don't know what the Suns are doing getting Bledsoe and keeping Dragic. I guess a 2 combo guard backcourt could work.

Thunder losing Martin is going to hurt unless their younger players step up to contribute to the scoring. I wouldn't fault them for not wanting to commit 4 years to him like what the Timberwolves are doing. The trade of Harden wasn't for a one year rental, but to avoid paying 3 max deals to 3 wing/perimeter players. The Thunder also didn't want to risk Harden holding them hostage like what Howard is doing to the Lakers now.

Well, the Dwightmare is over. Dwight decides to go to the Houston Rockets. I really can't blame him for choosing the Rockets. They're younger, faster, and he'll have less pressure there. And I hear that the Rockets aren't done! They're working on a sign-and-trade deal with the Hawks to get Josh Smith, that's going to be crazy. The Lakers are my team but I think it's for the better than Dwight left. Even if Dwight was there, they wouldn't be a title contender imo. Looks like the Celtics and Lakers are gonna be bad this season but I won't count these two franchises out, they always seem to find a way to compete.

So I'm guessing the starting lining for the first few months will be Nash, Meeks, Metta, Hill, and Pau. Hopefully no one gets injured because that's the last thing we need right now. Maybe the Lakers can try and get Millsap, not sure with all the money talk, but I believe they can. I just believe in Mitch Kupchak to pull out a trade that'll make the Lakers compete. This season is certainly looking very interesting as each day passes.

The Lakers sealed their fate when they hired Mike D'Antoni. Howard just doesn't fit in his system at all and with the talent on the Rockets roster, I can't blame Howard for leaving. With that said, Houston still has some work to do. Howard and Asik cannot play together and Asik is likely going to be traded. Obviously the sign and trade rumors for Josh Smith have come up but I see that as a long shot. If it doesn't happen then I think a great deal would be trading Asik straight up to New Orleans for Ryan Anderson. The Pelicans need a center after trading Robin Lopez (Anthony Davis fits much better as a 4) and Ryan Anderson would give the Rockets a nice stretch 4 to put with their other offensive weapons.

Better fit for Dwight, but there's still the unresolved issue of him being a headcase and lacking killer instinct. If Morey can make the deal for Josh Smith happen then it'll really be time for Rockets fans to get excited. Not to say that adding the best center in the league isn't something to celebrate, but Dwight's got to be healthy and happy to thrive and neither is a guarantee.

Harden + Dwight is a good duo but they need extra help defensively to get to the next level. Jeremy Lin is not a starting point guard for a contender with all his turnovers and he can't guard the elite PG in the West. Rockets still have a big hole at the PF position to fill. The push for a straight swap for Ryan Anderson with Asik makes a lot of sense for both teams, though the Pelicans could play hardball.

Another interesting free agent signing is of Iguodala to the Warriors. Iggy was part of Denver's push for the third seed last season. Will the Warriors go small ball and play Barnes at PF and have David Lee and Bogut share minutes at the center poistion, the formation that was forced on them due to Lee's injury and worked wonders in the playoffs? Or will they drop Klay/Barnes to be the 6th man offence off the bench?

I've been wondering which team Dwight Howard would pick so he chose Houston Rockets huh? Man Harden and Dwight should be fun to watch :D I'm a Knicks fan and was really disappointed in the way they played the Pacers in Free Agency I hope we can get some really good players JR Smith is a great player but we need somebody that can shoot in the paint and be more aggressive. I'm also interested in seeing Brooklyn Nets this year they already where good last year but damn KG and Paul Peirce damn not to mention Jason Kidd as Coach should be an interesting season none the less.

Clippers signed Collison to reunite him with Chris Paul as a back up PG. If Blake Griffin improves this season after hitting a brick wall last season, this Clippers team is a scary contender in the West.

Josh Smith signed for Detriot. Not sure how that makes sense for both parties except for money reasons. Pistons already have two quality bigs on the front court, spacing will be an issue on offence if all 3 are on the court at the same time.

Biggest losers in the free agent market for the 2nd year running has to be the Mavs. They lost out again on any big name signing. At least they are rectifying this by signing players to longer contracts this year to start the rebuilding process step by step this time.

I have my doubts about this trade for the Nets. Sure they upgraded both forward positions without losing much in the short term but this team has a lot of heavy legs. And they are giving up 3 first round picks so basically this is all in for this year and all in again next year in free agency

I need to be educated by you guys: are the Nets insane?

To give up first round picks in 2014, 2016 and 2018 means they'll be missing their top picks in years when Kevin Garnett will most likely be already retired, no? Maybe Pierce, too. (at least in 2016 & 2018)

How can they do this? Why would they sacrifice the future like that? Are any of the supporting players in the trade so compelling that the Nets figure the future will be secured? Do they really believe Garnett and Pierce can help the team make a run at a title next year? Are the Celtics laughing their asses off at this?

Chiefly, when Garnett & Pierce are gone and the team has no first round draft picks for those years, how does the team plan to compete? Yes, I understand New York to be a "win now" city......but doesn't this seem nuts?

I need to be educated by you guys: are the Nets insane?

To give up first round picks in 2014, 2016 and 2018 means they'll be missing their top picks in years when Kevin Garnett will most likely be already retired, no? Maybe Pierce, too. (at least in 2016 & 2018)

How can they do this? Why would they sacrifice the future like that? Are any of the supporting players in the trade so compelling that the Nets figure the future will be secured? Do they really believe Garnett and Pierce can help the team make a run at a title next year? Are the Celtics laughing their asses off at this?

Chiefly, when Garnett & Pierce are gone and the team has no first round draft picks for those years, how does the team plan to compete? Yes, I understand New York to be a "win now" city......but doesn't this seem nuts?

It was an all or nothing move. They were burden by Joe Johnson's ridiculous contract and restricted in what moves they can make to improve the roster this off-season. Nobody can deny Pierce and Garnett is an upgrade over Wallace and Humphries at least for the next season. Pierce's contract runs out next season so either he resigns for much lesser or the Nets can make a run at a cheaper SF in the loaded free agent market in 2014. They can make a run in free agency after 2014 to fill holes in their squad after Garnett's departure. The big thing is they managed to move Wallace's multi-year contract to get flexibility in free agency for the years after.

Or, the team's owner is loaded and don't mind splurging to get into contending for the title. Of course the danger of this kind of trade is the Lakers recently tried it last season and got burnt badly. Miraculously the biggest long term winner of the Howard trade of last year might just be Orlando who landed no big names. Lakers, Nuggets got a 1 year rental of an all star and got knocked out of the first round while Philly got forced into rebuilding from the draft again.

I love the Josh Smith signing by Detroit. He was the third best free agent after Howard and Paul and the Pistons got him at market value so they didn't have to overpay. Obviously the first concern brought up is floor spacing but if you look at Smith and the Hawks most successful seasons, they came with Smith at the 3 and then Horford and either Collins or Pachulia inside. What they give up in floor spacing the Pistons will make up for in length, rebounding, and defense. Detroit also has the luxuries of some great shooters on the roster in the back court with Brandon Knight, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, and Kyle Singler. Plus the threesome of Smith, Monroe, and Drummond will likely only play together around 20 minutes a night, with one or two of the three playing together inside while the third gets a breather on the bench for the rest of the minutes.

When it comes to Brooklyn they aren't completely insane. The picks they are giving up are likely to all be in the 20's and draft history has shown you rarely find great players in that range of the draft. They are just going the LA Laker route where they use their deep pockets to try and win now. This team basically has a two year window to contend and guess what? Pierce, Garnett, Jason Terry, and Joe Johnson will all be either retired or free agents after that two year period so Brooklyn will have cap space to work to either try and trade for another big name or try and sign a free agent.

Actually it's 2 years and up to 24 mill, but only 6 million is guaranteed. The contract is very incentive laden and the second year is a team option. It's a great contract for Cleveland because if Bynum does what he did in Philly then it's just a one year experiment where they only lose 6 million. However, if Bynum turns back to his old form and reaches every incentive then even getting him at the 12 mill a year for two years would be a bargain. Plus even if he makes the max amount of money he can it wouldn't hinder their efforts to try and sign LeBron to a max deal next off season.

Actually it's 2 years and up to 24 mill, but only 6 million is guaranteed. The contract is very incentive laden and the second year is a team option. It's a great contract for Cleveland because if Bynum does what he did in Philly then it's just a one year experiment where they only lose 6 million. However, if Bynum turns back to his old form and reaches every incentive then even getting him at the 12 mill a year for two years would be a bargain. Plus even if he makes the max amount of money he can it wouldn't hinder their efforts to try and sign LeBron to a max deal next off season.

My Facebook timeline fails me again, lol. I like the addition if he stays healthy, and after a year off and having a contract full of incentives, Bynum should play motivated. Happy for the Cleveland fans. After the heartbreak of The Decision they deserve a team that can be a winner, and the pieces are coming together for just that.

Cleveland will make the playoffs this year. That team has improved in the Eastern conference where the level of competition has dropped tremendously. Outside of Miami, Chicago, and Indiana, who is left? The Knicks are going to be worse with Carmelo probably thinking about which team he will sign with next and Brooklyn just sold their entire future for a couple of seasons of Garnett and Pierce.

As far as the Western conference, go fuck yourself Flip Saunders. Other than that, I like what the Spurs have done, but man, that Kirilenko trade would have really put this team at another level above the Western conference. The Clippers still don't have an imposing front court, the Grizzlies will fall back down to Earth, and the Thunder...well, Durant told Thunder fans not to worry about his partnership with Jay-Z, but if the Thunder don't improve, which I think will be the case, expect Durant to explore options outside of Oklahoma soon.

Warriors will be good, Rockets will improve but will be 2nd round fodder, and Kawhi Leonard will be an All Star :).

You seem a bit deluded in your thoughts. The Knicks will still be good next year, I don't think Carmelo "thinking about where he's going" will have much of an impact on their play. They will be slightly worse though, losing Copeland and trading for Bargs, who I think will be a disaster. Nets should be a lock for a top 5 seed and I could most definitely see Washington and Atlanta making the playoffs next year. Cleveland will be fun and has a lot of talent, but I'm not completely sold on them as a playoff team. I think the Bynum signing was a great risk, but I don't see him putting it all together.

In the West the consensus top 6 seems to be the Thunder, Spurs, Clips, Warriors, Rockets, and Grizz in some order, yet all have flaws. OKC still starts Perkins, the clock is ticking for the Spurs, the Clips third big man is Jamison, the Warriors have injury concerns, the Rockets may need a year or 2 to fill it all out, and the Grizzlies don't have anyone who can shoot. I like the Wolves and Blazers for the last 2 spots, but the Pellies and someone else I'm surely forgetting should be good too.

Also, Jeff Teague to the Bucks for 4/32 is you meh signing of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back