2010 MLB Draft: Harper sweepstakes, and which team will screw up royally?

BooCocky

On A Nature walk with Daniel Bryan
The MLB draft is approaching us. It starts June 7th. Harper is the consensus number one pick.

Here is a run down of the bleacherport MLB mock draft. I will do 1 through 10.
1. Bryce Harper ( Nats)
2. James Taillon (Bucs)
3. Manny Machoda (O's)
4. Drew Pomeranz ( KC)
5. Zack Cox (Cleve)
6. Deck McGuire (ARIZ)
7. Yasmani Grandal (NYM)
8. Nick Castellanos (Astros)
9. Chris Sale (SD)
10. Bryce Brentz (A's)

That right there is the top ten on most mock drafts, I just picked bleacher-report because it is easily accessible. Who would you like your team to select? What does your team need to address to make them better?

As I Pirates fan I have a beef with taking HS arms this early. I know last year we addressed HS arms, but we did it after the first few rounds. I know you can never have enough arms, but I think we cross the line here. Ohlendorf is still young, and Duke is good, he just has a bad outing and hardly gets any run support. I also do not believe in taking HS players this early. The Pirates need to win now because the fan base is getting antsy. I want a Major League ready prospect. Not a catcher because we have one of those already, and not a corner infielder. We need work up the middle. But looking at the draft there aren't many major league ready middle infielders. I would like the Buccos to take Pomeranz, he is the highest rated lefty on the board. He has a good fastball and a solid second pitcher. And finding a dominating left handed pitcher is hard. I know Taillon has been compared to Strasburg and John Lackey but I believe the risk is too high. The boy is still developing and he might not pan out. Also the Pirates have been bad at drafting pitchers this high, but they usually take ones who need some minor league development. Pomeranz just needs some fine tuning, he doesnt need to be down there for five years like some players in this draft will need.

So, what does your favorite MLB team need?

Hoping the Nats are especially cheap and decide to pass on Harper. Doubt they will though, and even if they do, we'd probably just be cheap as well and it'd be Matt Wieters all over again. Honsestly, I'll be disappointed in anything other than Harper, as will everyone else in Pittsburgh.

We probably should go with a pitcher, as theoretically we're set for the future everywhere else but up the middle with the carcass known as Ronny Cendeno. Since that's the case, may as well go for an arm. God knows we need whatever pitching we can get nowadays.

I gotta be honest, I couldn't care less about the Major League Baseball Draft. This Harper kid is supposedly the real deal, and the Nats will take him because they seem to not be incompetent anymore. But I can't give a crap about something when there's a 99.9% chance that none of these players will help the club this season, and a very good chance that a lot of these players will never help the team that drafts them. Hell, some of these guys won't even sign with the team, and get drafted again next year.

From the 2007 draft, only 8 players have PLAYED in the Majors. Go back 3 more years (2004), and 8 players never made it to the big leagues, and a bunch more are reserve caliber players, or cups of coffee players. This includes the first overall pick from 2004, some guy named Matthew Bush, who never made it past A ball, and has been out of baseball since 2007.

I know there are busts in other leagues, but at least the players drafted are expected to make an immediate impact, and we get to see them play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back