2008-09 WWE MVP

The Fabulous Rougeau's

Championship Contender
In what was really his last full year as a WWE wrestler, I give the MVP of 08-09 to Triple H. The year began for him continuing his feud with Orton and Cena for the WWE title. After he captures the title he remained on top for really the remainder of 08 retaining his title against competitors on both Raw and Smackdown. He also finished the year strong as he won the title at Elimination Chamber that set up the main event at Mania 25 against Orton.

I'm giving this one to Chris Jericho as his feud with Shawn Michaels was absolutely the hottest thing of 2008, a feud that would lead Jericho to win the World Heavyweight Title two more times even if they were short. 2008 was a career resurgence for Jericho. He may not have had a great start in 08, he may not have won the most titles or been on top for long like Triple H or Edge, he may have feuded with Mickey Rourke and legends after his stint as WWE World Champion was over, although the feud with Mickey Rourke could still be considered big, but Jericho was a much hotter superstar than Triple H, Edge or anyone else in 2008 due to his heel turn and feud with Michaels.

Triple H....he dominated the year, more than Cena though you could see Cena was by now the clear #1 Good Guy and had some moments, as did Orton who was a great heel (his win at WM 24 one of is best).

HHH had the most big moments, biggest feuds, he basically carried the company most of 2001-2009 before moving into a more secondary role as Cena clearly took over.

I'm content to say that after Jericho's feud with Michaels through to his tag team with The Big Show and eventual departure, Jericho was the best superstar for that whole good 2 year period. Well above tired Cena and HHH feuds, above an Orton who was attacking the chairman, above Punk who removed Jeff Hardy from our screens.

Nobody got heat as often, as richly or as purely as he did. He was the number one heel and they had no faces that could come close to matching him at that point.

On RAW it was Chris Jericho. While I personally preferred his 2003 feud with Michaels, their feud in 2008 produced some awesome matches as well. It might have surpassed their 2003 feud if Jericho had been face and Michaels was heel, the storyline would have made much more sense.

On SmackDown, I'm narrowly picking Edge over Triple H. Even though he took a break after SummerSlam until Survivor Series, Edge pretty much stole the show in every single show he wrestled in that year, and headlined both WrestleMania and SummerSlam in epic matches with Undertaker. My only real complaint is that Edge lost all but one of his matches with Undertaker, Edge should have won the Hell in a Cell Match.

Edge had a really good run especially in 2008 all his ppv matches with take were top level. Jericho obviously did phenomenal work, and also CM punk had a good to years as well.

2008 was a pretty great year both Raw and Smackdown had great stories going on.
For me the MVP of 2008-09 was Jeff Hardy, throughout the year he fought and fought to finally win the Wwe title. He had many road blocks along the way in Triple H and Edge.
It was nearing the end of the year and Hardy wasn't close to winning the Wwe title. Until December, after fighting all year long to win the championship, Hardy finally did it.
The fans was behind Hardy, and when he finally won it, it felt like a huge accomplishment something that hasn't had that type of feel for winning the title in a long while.

Well my top 3 would be Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho and CM Punk but I give that honor to Jericho. His feud with HBK back in 08 is the only thing I can really remember easily besides CM Punk cashing in against Edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back