1980s Bracket Round 1 Match 5-5.)The Empire Strikes Back vs. 28.)The Blues Brothers

What is the better movie?

• The Empire Strikes Back

• The Blues Brothers

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1980's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 5

The Empire Strikes Back
starwars_theempirestrikesback_12.jpg

Vs.

The Blues Brothers
BluesBrothersPoster.jpg

My toughest choice so far. Star Wars will again get my vote here, but it wasn't an easy choice. Blues brothers will always be that movie my dad loved, with the car chase scene, where dozens of cop cars crash, and they play old western songs while getting beer bottles thrown at them. On the other hand, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes back will always be that movie my dad had to show us. The opening scenes, with the Walkers approaching the rebel base is one of my favorite movie scenes. Walkers are scaryass machines. I think it might be my favorite of all the Star Wars movies, and may be the best movie from my birth decade.

These are two of my all time favorites. ESB, do I need to go into this? You have the biggest movie series of all time bar none, and perhaps the best in the series. This is all drama here, and it works insanely well. The cast nails it, and has perhaps the best line of all time. That one moment makes this movie. Imagine sitting in a theater in the 80s and hearing those words uttered. Your world would have stopped. That's almost impossoble to do.

Then we have Blues Brothers. This movie is just nuts and it never lets up. Belushi is pure gold here. The songs are great, the cameos never stop (That's Steven Speilberg as the tax collector) and the plot, while crazy, all makes sense in the end. Blues Brothers is oen of the most underrated comedies of all time, but its up against perhaps one of the ten best movies ever, so its over for the Brothers Blues.

This is easily another one that I'm going to be saving my ammo for. The Blues Brother is indeed a great flick, but it doesn't hold a candle to the greatness that is the Empire Strikes Back. Empire as number five of the 80's speaks to the power of some of the movies of this decade, because it could very well be one of the top 3 films of the decade, if not higher.

The Empire Strikes Back contains some of the most memorable moments in film history EVER. Damn near everybody on the face of this planet knows of (but unfortunately misquotes) the confession scene. This film is one of the three quintessential films (along with Godfather Part 2 and Terminator 2) brought up whenever someone argues that sequels can sometimes surpass the original film.

Like many other posters (and in many other threads) I think I need to save some of the discussion for a later match.

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back.

See, now HERE'S a Star Wars sequel that stands on it's own merits. In fact, it may be the only Star Wars sequel that stands on its own merits. The movie is intense, dramatic, and electrifying. And like KB said, it has THE plot twist of all time, and as everyone knows, I LOVE a good plot twist. Sometimes I like to think what would have happened if the Star Wars movies had been done in order. Would Lucas have made it appear that Anakin died, and then sprung him on the audiences two films later? Or would he have allowed the world to know the truth, and deny the world the greatest plot twist ever? Knowing that crazy fucker, he probably would have denied us.

I digress.

The Blues Brothers is also an extremely funny, entertaining MUSICAL. That's right people, it's a musical, whether my father likes to deny it or not, he enjoys a musical. Possibly Dan Akroyd's and John Belushi's two greatest lead roles. I say this because Animal House and Ghostbusters, I consider to be large cast films, whereas this movie is all Belushi and Ackroyd.

But in the end, the Empire stands tall, and defeats a truly lovable film. That evil, evil Empire.

I hate myself. I really do. I just can't stand Star Wars. But for some reason or another I am going to pick it over The Blues Brothers. This is possibly the only Star Wars I have ever enjoyed. Not even joking. I like Blues Brothers, but I never got into it like some people did. So in actuality to me this is a landslide. Star Wars, by a mile.

The greatest of Star Wars movies only competition in my mind is with the Godfather. The Blues Brothers simply cannot understand the power of the Dark side. I am willing to bet that most of us have Empire in our DVD collections, and that very few of us have Blues Brothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back