Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1980's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 16

The Untouchables
untouchables.jpg

Vs.

The Terminator
t1-p.gif

Wow this one is difficult. You have a great mob movie, and a legendary sci fi movie. Both of the casts and plots are great, but I think I'll go with the future over the past here. Terminator is one of the most iconic films of all times. I'll Be Back has become one of the most cliched lines in all of movie history. It launched Arnold into the stratusphere of movie stars and he never looked back. Untouchables is great, but its out of its league here.

The Untouchables is sooo overrated. It has great sets, great costumes, and great props. It does not however, have a great script or great direction. It only has one good performance and that's by Sean Connery. Kevin Costner is straight up boring in his role, as is Andy Garcia. Robert De Niro's performance could have been great, if he was given more screen time. I mean we are talking about Al Fucking Capone. This guy was an absolute genius, he founded an organization and became a millionaire at an extremely young age. You can't give that character a little more time to show off what makes him tick? The direction is sloppy as well, there are times when things are focused on for no reason. That part was always weird to me, Brian De Palma is a pretty good director, after all.

The Terminator is a case where the sequel is better. But it still set the ground for one of the greatest movie franchises of all time. It has great lines and is packed with tons of action. Arnold's performance is great, and this movie is very nostalgic for me. My pick was extremely easy here.

My vote goes to The Terminator.

Oh, now this is a no brainer. Terminator is a very good sci-fi film, but The Untouchables blows it out of the water. Quite possibly Brian De Palma's best (WAAAAYYY better than Scarface, anyways). And it's got a classy, beautiful script by David Mamet (GAWDLY!!). It's got plenty of great one-liners, as well as wonderful dialogue and monologues. It's a beautiful film, with magnificent performances by DeNiro, Costner, Charles Martin Smith, and Sean Connery, in his Oscar-winning role. And I dare anyone to find me a more powerful, beautiful score than the one conducted by the legendary Ennio Morricone. John Williams is great at coming up with theme music, Danny Elfman is good at the dark or the quirky, but Ennio Morricone is THE all time greatest film scorer, and The Untouchables may very well be his crowning work.

[youtube]xIF_WdPUBFo[/youtube]

And I'm telling you, THE SCORE, I CANNOT praise it enough.:

[youtube]FW8iIGRVhMA[/youtube]

Im sorry, I just can't vote against The Terminator. It is one of my favorite movies. It was a movie that has had people talking for 25 years. It will go down as one of the greatest movies of all time. That said, It will probably be overshined by its big brother. Arnold's best acting was in this movie, even if he moved like the Great Khali. It has spawned a sequel, a crapquel, a series, there is another movie on its way, action figures, catch phrases, and more memorabilia than Disney.

As this tournament progresses, you'll see a pattern with me. The pattern is simple, I've never understood the appeal of mob movies. Whether it be the Godfathers to the Sopranos of TV, I've never understood the appeal of that genre, and wannabe gangster's that go along with it.

The Untouchables is a good movie, but nothing in it stands out. Sean Connery is great, but that's about the extent of it. As I've said, I'm not big on mafia movies, and my theory is, seen one, seen em all.

The Terminator is fucking epic though. Such an intense story, and I'm in the minority when I say the first was better then the second. The first movie with Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor was character driven against a sci-fi backdrop. If you think of the complexity of the storyline, it could make your head hurt trying to figure out possible future scenarios.

Plus, there's Arnold. This is the role that defined his career. No, not the lovable Kid Friendly Terminator of T2, but this is the bad ass, cold hearted killing machine. An emotionless, evil machine sent from an Apocalyptic future. I love the Terminator.

One is iconic, the other is a good film in an overpacked genre. The Terminator was low budget in 1984, and while it looks like it was made a while ago. It hasn't aged badly at all. It certainly looks better than T2. It's one of those films where you could debate forever over which is best. But one things for sure, The Terminator is better than The Untouchables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back