15th Anniversary of Ayrton Senna's death

The Rob

Telling me I'm invincible..
Tomorrow marks the 15th anniversary of 3 time Formula 1 world champion Ayrton Senna's death. He died on Sunday the 1st of May 1994, during the San Marino Grand Prix held at Imola. Whilst leading the race he had a high speed crash at Tamburello corner at almost 200mph on lap 7. There is still a huge debate as to the real cause of Ayrton's death. This link explains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ayrton_Senna

I wish I was alive when Ayrton was in his prime. He was a genius behind the wheel of a racing car and, in many people's eyes, is the greatest racing driver the world will ever know. Also not forgotting Roland Ratzenberger, who died the day before during the second Qualifying session. Imola 94 is known to be the darkest day in the history of motor-racing.

Rest in Peace Ayrton. xxx

& Rest in Peace Roland xxx

I, apparantly, watched that race but being three I have no recollection of it or any other races Senna was involved in.

There is no doubt he had a massive impact on the sport. He raced in arguably the golden period for racing (I said arguably before anyone calls me on it), going head to head with Prost and Mansell among others. It is a damn shame he never got to go head to head properly with Schumacher in that season. It would have been an epic confrontation. The master versus the apprentice.

His death was a big loss to motorsport and it acted as a wake up call to make races safer. No driver has died on the circuit since, which is a wonderful thing for the sport. If only these cautions were made before hand, Senna and Ratzenberger could have been with us still today.

They will never be forgotten, and neither will that weekend. If I remember correctly, Rubens Barrichello was almost killed on the Friday practice session, the day before Ratzensberger's fatal crash. Every trip to Imola was a remembrance for that weekend, and unfortunately it is not used anymore for Formula One. A trip there soon would have been a perfect opportunity to reflect on the careers of the two men.

I was 9 when it happened but didn't watch F1 back then, I only started watching F1 around the 1995-96 season Hill and Coulthard at Williams, Schumacher at Benneton, Mansel and Hakkinen at Mclaren. From seeing video replays of his driving skills its clear he had the talent and abilty to dominate the sport. The San Marino 94 GP is pretty much the same as the Hillsbrough disastor in Football.... even though it was tragic something like that had to happen to make the sport safer. Artyon Senna will go down as arguably the greatest ever the only man he could possibly be compared to is Schumacher.

R.I.P Senna your still missed today

I watched it. I've always thought the worst thing about it was that after Barrichello's crash, Ratzenberger dying and then Senna being airlifted to hospital, they still went ahead with the race. That season saw Hill take Shumacher fairly close, but had Senna been alive, it would have been far more intresting. I don't think he had much left, but I think he may have won one more championship, who knows.

If nothing else, his death ushered in an era of safety to the sport, and the idiots who say that made it dull, are precisely that, idiots. I think 1997 was probably my favourite all time season, and that was after these rule changes.

Back to the point, the crash immortalised Senna, but he didn't need to die for that to happen. Ratzenberger was equally tragic, and he was a young man with a lot in front of him. Simtek never really recovered from the loss either, unlike Williams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back