• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

15 Greatest WWE Superstars that have never main evented Wrestlemania

Who is the greatest WWE wrestler to have never main evented a WrestleMania?

• “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka

• Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat

• “Ravishing” Rick Rude

• Jake “The Snake” Roberts

• Mr. Perfect

• Ric Flair

• Scott Hall / Razor Ramon

• Kevin Nash / Diesel

• Jeff Hardy

• Kane

• Eddie Guerrero

• Booker T

• Rob Van Dam

• Rey Mysterio

• CM Punk

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneAndOnlyGOAT

Championship Contender
Before we check out the list of the greatest wrestlers who have never main evented, let's check out the list of wrestlers who have main evented WrestleMania:

• Andre The Giant
• Bam Bam Bigelow
• Batista
• Bret Hart
• Brock Lesnar
• Chris Benoit
• Chris Jericho
• Edge
• Hulk Hogan
• John Cena
• Kurt Angle
• King Kong Bundy
• Lawrence Taylor
• “Macho Man” Randy Savage
• Mick Foley
• Mr. T
• Paul Orndorff
• Randy Orton
• “Rowdy” Roddy Piper
• Shawn Michaels
• Sgt. Slaughter
• “Stone Cold” Steve Austin
• Sid Justice / Sycho Sid
• Ted DiBiase Sr.
• The Big Show
• The Miz
• The Rock
• The Ultimate Warrior
• The Undertaker
• Triple H
• Yokozuna

Wrestlers who main evented the most WrestleMania’s:

-Hulk Hogan: 8
-Triple H: 6
-The Rock: 5
-John Cena: 5
-Shawn Michaels: 4
-“Stone Cold” Steve Austin: 3
-The Undertaker: 3
-“Macho Man” Randy Savage: 2
-Bret “The Hitman” Hart: 2
-Sid Justice / Sycho Sid: 2

15 Greatest WWE Wrestlers who have never main evented WrestleMania:

“Superfly” Jimmy Snuka (1982-1985, 1989-1992)*

5.jpg

Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat (1985-1988, 1991)*

ricky-steamboat.png

“Ravishing” Rick Rude (1987-1990)*

Rick_Rude_-_Richard_Rood_08.jpg

Jake “The Snake” Roberts (1986-1992, 1996-1997)

file_187255_7_jake-the-snake-roberts.jpg

Mr. Perfect (1988-1996) *

CurtHennig.jpg

Ric Flair (1991-1993, 2001-2008)

2lat4bo.jpg

Scott Hall / Razor Ramon (1992-1996, 2002)

Scott%20Hall.jpg

Kevin Nash / Diesel (1993-1996, 2002-2003)

Kevin%20Nash(1).jpg

Jeff Hardy (1998-2003, 2006-2009) *

9216142.jpg

Kane (1997-2014)*

9691%20-%20kane%20mask%20promotional_image%20wwf%20wwf_championship.jpg

Eddie Guerrero (2000-2005)

tumblr_m98ggf44Z51ql0k28o1_500.png

Booker T (2001-2007)

kingbooker.jpg

Rob Van Dam (2001-2007, 2013)

Rob_Van_Dam_05.jpg

Rey Mysterio (2002-2014)

tumblr_mfcy1xkdfa1qzx70zo1_500.jpg

CM Punk (2006-2014)

Photo-of-CM-Punk-620x350.jpg

Notes:

Jimmy Snuka, Ricky Steamboat, Kevin Nash and Booker T all wrestled a couple of matches the last few years however only their full-time runs will be acknowledged.

Rude returned to WWF in 1997 as the "insurance policy" of D-Generation X but he never wrestled.

Jeff Hardy, Kane and Mr Perfect's previous gimmicks in the WWF will not be acknowledged as well.

That's a lot of mid-card WWE talent as far as I'm concerned. WrestleMania has had too many show-closing talent as far as I can see. In the current era we're in, John Cena should have a lot more show-closing matches than he does. I guess Maybe Undertaker should have a few more based on the longevity of the character.

But lets not kid ourselves here, only a few of those guys on that lost should have been on the final match on a Mania card. I don't include C.M. Punk Eddie Guerrero on that list.

The list has a lot of mid card talent! No way on planet earth should jeff hardy be main eventing mania in my personal opinion. You've gotta give it to the nature boy. Ric Flair is one of the greatest to ever grace the squared circle and should of main evented mania' at least once.

For me the only ones on that list who should've main evented are Flair, Eddie, and Punk. I'm a huge Punk fan and he only makes the main event because of the perceived lack of talent of the past few years, if it were the "Attitude Era" then I can agree he might not have deserved to given the likes of Austin, Rock (at that time not 2012), HBK, Foley, 'Taker, HHH, nWo, Lesnar, Guerrero.

For me from that list the only guys who have been truly at the top of WWF/E during their respective peak periods (i.e. they were World Champion or competing for the biggest title in the company) are Ric Flair, Diesel and CM Punk.

Were it not for Hogan "retiring" then Ric Flair would have faced him and main evented WM8
Were it not for the LT match being included as an (albeit fairly well fought) side show on the card then Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels would have main evented WM11
Were it not for The Rock returning to the ring then CM Punk would have main evented WM 28

Outside of those guys? You could argue that Booker T, Mysterio and Guerrero were all close but the World titles that they fought for weren't the main ones at the Wrestlemanias that they fought for them at. None of them were THE guy at the time either. Sadly, Eddie could have gone on to do it but his life was cut short.

Mr Perfect or Rick Rude were candidates in 1990/91 but the Hogan/Warrior and Hogan/Slaughter matches had better storylines behind them. Both also had personal/injury issues

RVD could have rode the wave of popularity in the mid 2000s but messed up by failing the wellness test when the belt was put on him. Conceivably if he hadn't he could have wound up in the 2007 main event with Cena or, more excitingly, HBK. Likewise Jeff Hardy could have been the man circa 2009/10 but was a liability outside the ring/in the drug testing cubicle.

That leaves Kane (the character has never had the necessary dimensions to take it to that higher level), Razor Ramon (left before he could really enter the main event scene and was a liability outside the ring), Jake was a nightmare outside the ring, Steamboat never made the step up to main event in WWF and Snuka was past his best when the Wrestlemania era rolled around.

So yeah - for me Ric Flair, Diesel, Eddie Guerrero and CM Punk are the only ones of those who, in theory, could have headlined Wrestlemania given the WWF/E landscape at the time (or, in Eddie's case, just after) they competed. CM Punk, potentially, still could.

Outside of those mentioned I would say Lex Luger was as close as anyone in 1994 and it probably made sense at the time for him to do so. Likewise, if you believe the rumours, Ludwig Borga was due to go into the event as champion so you could argue him as well despite his limitations compared to the people mentioned. I'd also give a shout to Davey Boy Smith (in 1995) and Owen Hart (in 1994/5) who were probably over enough and involved in the build up/storylines enough to give the main event justice

Gotta go first and foremost with the Naitcha Boy. One of the best ever and if he had stayed with WWE instead of going to WCW, he would have had A LOT of Mania main event matches, so that is his own doing.

Secondly I'll put Mysterio and Guerrero in the same category. Both of these guys were definitely over enough in their heyday to have main evented a WM and I think if Eddie was still around they probably would have at least had a Mania title match against each other.

For me the only ones on that list who should've main evented are Flair, Eddie, and Punk. I'm a huge Punk fan and he only makes the main event because of the perceived lack of talent of the past few years, if it were the "Attitude Era" then I can agree he might not have deserved to given the likes of Austin, Rock (at that time not 2012), HBK, Foley, 'Taker, HHH, nWo, Lesnar, Guerrero.

I pretty much agree with this. Don't get me wrong, I like everyone on this list, but as far as being in the main event at WrestleMania goes, I'm not so sure. Flair and Punk especially are the stand out guys from the list, because I can think of specific WrestleManias where they definitely should have headlined. For Flair it's obviously WrestleMania 8, where they should've done the dream match with Hogan. It's been said that when they ran the match at house shows it "wasn't up to par", but that seems kinda like a BS excuse considering they ended up putting Hogan in there with fucking Sid. The story of a amtch between Hogan and Flair writes itself. Flair works the leg to chop the bigger man down, negate the big boot/leg drop, and set up for the figure 4. Hogan eventually makes the huge comeback, on one leg, and wins. Simple, but effective.

Punk should've headlined WrestleManias 27 and 29. I like the Miz, I think he was a great heel, but putting him in there with Cena at WrestleMania wasn't a smart move. They should've done Punk/Cena for the Title at 27, with Orton/Miz on the undercard. With that adjustment you would take one of the most lackluster Manias ever and turn it into a great show. At 29 Punk should have either been in there with Rock and Cena for a WWE Title triple threat, or the match between him and Taker should've been for the Title and in the main event spot. Taker's streak vs. Punk's long ass Title reign would've added so much more intrigue to that match.

Maybe in some alternate world where guys on that list were pushed more, or pushed differently, I could see them main eventing a WrestleMania because they are all so talented. But even if you didn't change anything about how Punk and Flair were pushed, they should've still been in the main event spots for those Manias. Also, had Eddie not died in 2005 I think we would have seen him headline a Mania at some point, probably as a heel rather than a face, but we would've seen it.

As far as the list of names that have main evented a WrestleMania, I think the only people that really shouldn't have had that spot are Sid, the Miz and Chris Jericho. Sid basically got slotted in as a back-up plan in both cases, so I won't hate too hard on him. Miz was the wrong call for 27 since he got legit heat and Cena always gets a lot of heat at Mania, so the crowd had no one to get behind (having Punk as Cena's opponent solves this problem). Jericho was the wrong call simply because Hogan/Rock should've gone on alst voer HHH/Jericho at WrestleMania 18. I actually don't hate the fact that celebrities like Lawrence Taylor or Mr. T headlined a WrestleMania, because at the time they did make sense. The Lawrence Taylor match I really enjoy to be honest, and he's such an icon in the world of sports he gets a pass for me.

It has to be Flair. He is a 16 time World Champ and one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. He was generally a WCW/NWA guy but there was an opportunity. The year he won the Rumble to win the belt I'm thinking he could have closed the show. I know Hogan was around but Flair was a star and they could have figured something.

The other name is Punk. He is extremely talented and has been unfortunate in the last 3-5 years. I'm a fan of The Miz and he was doing very well as a heel but Punk is better. The Rock's return was fairly unexpected and it was unfortunate for Punk. He was the second best guy on the roster and could have closed the show with Cena in any of the three years. Obviously, The Rock was a bigger match but Punk would have been next in line.

Out of the guys listed then you would have to say either Flair or Punk but didn't Flair co main event Mania 8 vs Savage?? it says so on Wikipedia and google.

So is it a case of their match does not count as a main event?

Anyway i've voted Flair

I don't agree with the whole "Main Event" thing because it's too nit picky of a title. For instance, Ric Flair, Nash, and Punk have all had WWF Title matches at WrestleMania...they "headlined" it which I think is a better way to put it since the order of the matches doesn't always reflect the greatest match. This was especially evident on the Mania 11 card when Bam Bam took on LT to close the night instead of HBK vs Diesel. Obviously Diesel and HBK headlined that card with the title match...just because it wasn't last shouldn't take away from it.

Same thing goes for Rock vs Hogan at Mania 18. They weren't the last match of the night but everybody knew the focus was on them for that night...by the catch phrase icon vs icon, the posters, the hype, etc....HHH vs Jericho sucked ass and nobody really cared much about that. That shouldn't take away from Rock and Hogan headlining that card just because they weren't last.

Flair vs Macho was like mid-card but still the title match...definitely a little unorthodox of them to have a match like that so early but still, they were the headliners for that Mania. It was WWF vs NWA/WCW. I don't think that should take away from the fact that the focus was all on Mach and Flair.

Punk defended his WWE title against Jericho at Mania 28...it was a stacked card bigtime so it was one of 3 main events, but THE title match nonetheless.

I think people put too much stock into the actual last match of the night sometimes...it doesn't always mean that last matchup is the greatest and that's been made pretty clear on more than one occasion.

Though not true main events, Flairs WM matches with Savage and Michaels were both memorable, moreso than many WM main events (WM 2000 four way, Cena vs. Michaels, Miz vs. Cena, Taker vs. Sid, just to name a few)

I don't agree with the whole "Main Event" thing because it's too nit picky of a title. For instance, Ric Flair, Nash, and Punk have all had WWF Title matches at WrestleMania...they "headlined" it which I think is a better way to put it since the order of the matches doesn't always reflect the greatest match. This was especially evident on the Mania 11 card when Bam Bam took on LT to close the night instead of HBK vs Diesel. Obviously Diesel and HBK headlined that card with the title match...just because it wasn't last shouldn't take away from it.

Same thing goes for Rock vs Hogan at Mania 18. They weren't the last match of the night but everybody knew the focus was on them for that night...by the catch phrase icon vs icon, the posters, the hype, etc....HHH vs Jericho sucked ass and nobody really cared much about that. That shouldn't take away from Rock and Hogan headlining that card just because they weren't last.

Flair vs Macho was like mid-card but still the title match...definitely a little unorthodox of them to have a match like that so early but still, they were the headliners for that Mania. It was WWF vs NWA/WCW. I don't think that should take away from the fact that the focus was all on Mach and Flair.

Punk defended his WWE title against Jericho at Mania 28...it was a stacked card bigtime so it was one of 3 main events, but THE title match nonetheless.

I think people put too much stock into the actual last match of the night sometimes...it doesn't always mean that last matchup is the greatest and that's been made pretty clear on more than one occasion.

I agree. Flair and Savage were part of the double main event at WMVIII. I would argue that LT vs. Bam Bam was the main event, however, as this was needed because people didn't care about Diesel/HBK.

But, the last match of the night is different than "the main event". Often times, the "main event" of a local show would go on before intermission. This was done for several reasons. Either to get the talent out of that arena and off to another show, where they would have their match at another venue. Or to sell the re-match tickets to the live crowd at that same event.

Savage was in THREE WM main events.

First off regarding Flair, WM 8 was billed as a "Double Main Event" between Flair-Savage & Hogan-Sid. Since his match was billed and promoted that way (all the promotional materials had Flair on the cover with this billing) it's hard to say he didnt "MAIN EVENT".

You can argue that Flair-Savgage should have closed WM 8, it had a much better build and storyline than Hogan-Sid, had the required "happy ending" WM typically has, was a way more entertaining match, and involved the World Title. Even though Hogan often wrestled in the middle of the card on house shows (even though he was "Main Eventing") his match, slow and short, wasnt a good pick to energize the crowd and engage the audience at the mid point. Also, if you let Flair-Savage go on immediately after Hogan-Sid they clearly outshine Hogan and steal a good bit of his spotlight, last match, Ultimate Warrior return, etc. In the end, since WWE actively promoted this WM as having a "Double Main Event" and Flair was featured prominently on all the advertisements, posters, etc, I dont think he belongs in this discussion.

CM Punk likely would have gotten a Main Event if he hadnt quit. His problem was just as he was reaching his apex WWE brought back The Rock and clearly the match there was Rock (who already had faced HHH, Austin, Foley, Flair, Hogan) vs Cena, the biggest superstar currently active he hadnt already wrestled. If not for Rock's two short term returns I think Punk gets at least one Mania M-Event. He did at least get the No. 2 match (arguably over HHH-Lesnar) when he faced Taker.

Most of the rest of the list were guys who never were high enough long enough to qualify. Hall was at best a quality 2nd tier talent just big enough to occasionally main event a Raw-Nitro or PPV but not the guy you would build the primary match on your biggest show. He was a less talented version of Arn Anderson or Curt Henning. Rude, like Punk, was a victim of timing. At his height when he was over enough to be in that spot the WWE capitolization of the Iraq War-Sgt Slaughter heel turn, provided the perfect opportunity for Hogan's return, defending WWE & the USA in Rocky-like moment tailor made for Mania. Likewise, with Hogan leaving for an extended time, Hogan-Warrior when UW was clearly at his peak made better business sense than A Hogan-Rude match would have.

Back to Flair, the one time he should have gotten the last match was WM 24. He was in the biggest match of the event. Stories on Wrestlezone at the time indicated Flair had been offered the closing spot but declined saying the close should go to performers who would still be on the show afterwards. Since the Triple Threat Match was booked to have a heel go over (Orton over Cena & a face HHH) Taker continuing his Streak over Edge got the close by default.

Im not sure the rest of the list needs addressed, they really were never big enough carry such an event, although Eddie Guererro might have had he lived.

Finally, why wasnt Goldberg or Lex Luger mentioned ? Luger was a major attraction in the 90s, main eventing in both WWE & WCW way more than Hall, Rude, or Henning ever did. Goldberg was at his peak bigger and hotter than anyone in either WWE or WCW Not named Austin. Though there are questions regarding if he should have been booked better in WWE he did win The World Title and main evented against the Top Heel Faction in Evolution, it's not hard to see him main eventing WM vs HHH or Taker.

Honestly out of all the names mentioned (Punk doesn't count for me because we don't know what's up with him) The only ones that had the popularity/momentum to main event Wrestlemania were Ric Flair and Jeff Hardy.

Flair speaks for himself. But Hardy was white hot in 2009 (you could make a case for him in 2008 as well) and if things had gone differently he could've main evented Wrestlemania 25 against Edge

ok technically flair has. wm8 was billed as a double main event and therefore he technically did. even though the spotlight was put on hogan/justice. snuka was in the corner and involved in the first wrestlemania main event but didnt actually wrestle so yeah id probably say superfly..... he was the original chosen one until vince jr bought out his dad and made hogan the man.

Half of your choices don't qualify. There's a difference between main eventing WrestleMania and HEADLINING WrestleMania. WrestleMania can have two, three, or four main events. Only one match can headline the show. Ric Flair, Kevin Nash, Booker T, Eddie Guerrero, CM Punk, Kane, and I may have missed another, have all main evented WrestleMania. They just never headlined it. BIG difference.

Since Flair was part of the double main event at WM8, I voted for Mr. Perfect. Without a doubt, the greatest wrestler in WWE history to never hold the championship and never get his due as a WM main eventer. He could've absolutely carried a feud with Hogan in the early 90s , but the talent pool was so plentiful at the time, that he didn't get his chance. Hennig wins this argument imo, hands down.

Or understand the difference between a main event match, which WrestleMania typically has 3 or 4 of, and the headlining match, of which there can be only one.

I think this whole concept of 'Headlining' a Wrestlemania is kind of dumb and just find it weird how it came about. Once the 2 world titles came into the picture, it was harder to put who the real main headliner is.

I know generally the last match is supposed to be billed as the headline, but doesn't always come across memorable. I mean WM 18, Jericho and HHH were last, but even they know they'd be foolish to consider themselves as the Headliners since people only remember Rock and Hogan.

Also, WM 10 (and 4) didn't have a Headliner. WM 13, again, nobody barely remembers the Headline Main Event Match (Taker vs Sid) and all remember Bret and Austin, and pretty much is like the Headline. So just because you're supposed to be billed as the Headliner, isn't something to brag about.

Given the type of matches they have, with pretty much a Taker match now a headliner match, and the amount of WMs there are now, it's super easy to get lost (who can recall WM 24, 26, 27 off the top of their heads?)

The days of Hulk Hogan, who the company put all their resources behind, overshadowing as undisputed Headliner of Wrestlemania are over.

Given the type of matches they have, with pretty much a Taker match now a headliner match, and the amount of WMs there are now, it's super easy to get lost (who can recall WM 24, 26, 27 off the top of their heads?)

WrestleMania 24 had 4 main events - Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton vs. Triple H vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship, Floyd Mayweather vs. The Big Show, and Edge vs. The Undertaker for the World Heavyweight Championship.

WrestleMania 26 had 4 main events - Mr. McMahon vs. Bret Hart, Chris Jericho vs. Edge for the World Heavyweight Championship, Batista vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship, and Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker.

WrestleMania 27 had 3 main events - Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship, Triple H vs. The Undertaker, and The Miz vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship.

I'm not seeing what your point is. I personally feel WrestleMania 24 and WrestleMania 26 are two of the best WrestleManias ever. Especially 24, I think that's the second best WrestleMania in history.

Hmmm. 2 rank em n wrestlemania Main event:
1. Flair no question asked.
2. Punk good all way round definitely main event talent. Epic feud w/taker. Shoulda ended nite instead of rock/cena finishere fest.
3 Mr Perfect. Perfect n everyway. Never got his moment outside awa.
4. Eddie Guererro. Great match w/angle and better memorable ending when he and benoit hugged.(could recreate that w/bryan/punk).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back