WWE Tag Team Championship - Who do you think of?

TagTeamChampionship.png

WWF World Tag Team Championships

Now, I know that the WWE has had many different incarnations of the Tag Team Championships, so in this thread I'm using what they had before the purchase of WCW. If you feel that someone that held the Tag Team Championships after that is your pick, feel free. It doesn't matter if it was WCW, WWF, World, WWE, or Undisputed... if it was under the WWE banner it counts. I know it's a little confusing, but there is not point in doing 3 separate threads for just WWE Tag Championships.

The titles have been held by some great tag teams, and at times some not so great ones. It had a very good run in the 80s during the strongest surge of tag team wrestling and was a very prestigious title. Teams like The Hart Foundation, The Steiners, The Nasty Boys, The Legion of Doom, The British Bulldogs, The Dudleys, The Hardys, and Edge and Christian all held the belts at one time or another. That made it a fairly tough choice, but in the end I knew who came to MY mind:

The Hart Foundation

The Hart Foundation was one of the most dominant teams in WWE(F) history. Although they only held the belts 2 times, they stick out in my mind. Seeing Neidhart and Hart together really just makes me think of this belt. They had excellent feuds over the championship with The Rockers, The Rougeaus (Most underrated tag team ever), Demolition, etc. They really made the belts prestigious and brought excitement to their matches. This tag team is what propelled Bret Hart to the main stream, this truly made him great. This tag team will always be remembered for what they did. They were so good in the ring that they made their matches seem effortless, and against the British Bulldogs they really showed this. They brought excellent wrestling and mic skills together and they were, to me, a complete tag team. Can't go wrong with the Harts here.

Demoliton dominated tag team wrestling when the division was at its best. Their first reign was a record 16 months and they went on to be three time champions. They walked out of WrestleManias 4-6 as champions. Their title wins came against Strike Force, The Brain Busters, and The Colossal Connection. They had successful defenses against The Hart Foundation, Young Stallions, British Bulldogs, Powers of Pain, Twin Towers, and more. Any of those teams would be able to dominate tag team wrestling today and Demoltion were the ones to dominate them. It's a shame Demoliton doesn't get more recognition from WWE today. I was eight years old when Demoltion won their first title and they lost their last on my 11th birthday. Not bad for three reigns. They were THE team during my early years as a fan so they will always stand out to me.

Whenever someone brings up the WWE Tag-Team Chamionship, three teams come to mind. One, the hardys. Two, the dudleys. And three, E&C. I think these three teams immortalized the tag championships.

When I think of the WWE / World Tag Team Championships (both versions combined), the Superstars that come to mind are Luke Graham and Tarzan Tyler for being the first WWE Tag Team Champions, The Dudley Boyz for winning the Tag Titles 9 times, and Demolition for holding the Titles for a combined 698 days.

For me it is a choice between 3 teams

Edge and Christian, The Hardyz, and The Dudleyz

These 3 ruled the tag team division at a time when tag-team wrestling in the WWE was at its peak...or at least the peak since I have been a fan. I cannot even begin to count the number of great matches, great promos or just sheer number of entertaining segments these 3 teams were a part of.

The Hardys were always my favourite wrestlers when I was a kid, but when I look back now and think of the tag team titles, Edge and Christian are the ones who spring to mind 1st. They held the most titles, they were the most entertaining (with the 5 second poses, Kazoos, Los Conquistadors etc), and both Edge and Christian were both 2 of the most talented guys in the business, still are today.

So E & C for me

I'm gonna go with some extra old school teams for my answer to this thread, the first one coming to mind being...
1) The Wild Samoans. These guys almost always are the first ones to pop into my head when I think of the WWF/E tag titles. Working under the tutelage of none other than the late, great Capt. Lou Albano, Afa and Sikas' combination of size, power and unorthodox moveset,along with surprising speed and agility for a pair of 300 pounders, these men WERE WWF/E tag team wrestling in the late 70's-early Eighties. I well remember their programs w/Tito Santana and Ivan Putski,and also w/Tony Garea and Rick Martel, which leads me to my next choice....
2) Tony Garea and (insert name). Okay, that 's kinda a copout, but Tony Garea held the WWF/E tag titles on 5 different occassions w/5 different partners throughout the 1970's and into the early 80's. Teaming 1st w/Haystacks Calhoun, then Spiros Arion, Dean Ho and Larry Zybysko before finally ending his run w/ his most celebrated partner Rick Martel, Tony Garea was one of the most prolific Tag Team competitors for nearly a decade and a half. While not the biggest guy in the world, Garea was technically sound, had great in ring psychology, could sell, and was an all around sure hand in the ring. He always pops up in my mind as a WWF/E Tag champ.

3) The Hart Foundation. Well, you can't have a dicussion about the WWF/E Tag champs without mentioning the Hitman and the Anvil. Their combination of a technical master with a bona fide powerhouse sold tickets all over the world, and their program w/The British Bulldogs was one of the greatest tag team rivalries in WWF/E history. The contrasting styles of Neidhart and Bret complemented each other perfectly.

Probably Miz/Morrison. They seemed to always have those things.

Now if you want to go with the belt you have shown there, the World Tag Team Championships, probably the Hart Foundation.

They were the perfect combination of power and speed. The two came off like a team and worked incredibly hard every night. Bret was the star and Anvil is a fondly remembered Marty Jannetty, but they put on some incredibly entertaining matches including one of my all time favorites against Demolition. Great team and incredibly fun to watch.

1) The Hardyz: This team was a combination of high-flying, risk taking, wrestlers that were willing to do everything and anything to win the titles. They were competitive and successful. They were multiple time champions, as well.

2) Edge and Christian: They have held the titles MANY times. Together they were a great duo with plenty of talent and charisma. They could possibly be one of the most successful tag teams of all time.

There are plenty of other teams that were amazing, but these two just stand out to me.

When I think of the WWE / World Tag Team Championships (both versions combined), the Superstars that come to mind are Luke Graham and Tarzan Tyler for being the first WWE Tag Team Champions, The Dudley Boyz for winning the Tag Titles 9 times, and Demolition for holding the Titles for a combined 698 days.

Just to add to this, When I think of just the WWE / Smackdown / Blue / current Tag Team Championships, the Superstars that come to mind are Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit for being the first SD Tag Team Champions, MNM (Mercury, Nitro or Morrison) for winning the Tag Titles 3 times, and Paul London and Brian Kendrick for holding the Titles for a combined 331 days straight in one run.

Obviously the Hardy's they were young and exciting and took risks that wowed everybody and they were always on the same page.

The Immortal Dudley's ARE the top tag team. they did it in WWE/ECW/TNA and they were always entertaining. No matter which dudley's With Spike or Brother Runt or Devon and Bubba. it was just amazing.

DX is the last one. Not only a stable but just amazing tag team.

EandC while i'd like to see them return.....soon They're lower on my list.

When I think off the tag team titles I think of the great teams off Edge and Chirstain also known as E&C as this team brought the WWE tag titles to a whole new level with their segments in the ring and backstage with their humour in the wrestling world. But I think off E&C most because they were the team that stood out the most in my mind as they all did the best they could in the their matches, backstage and everything they did.

I think of the New Age Outlawz. Simply because that was my favorite Tag Team growing up. While they didn't put on 5-Star matches, they were very entertaining and way over with the crowd. Growing up I use to know all of Road Dogg's lines he'd say before a match and would yell them at the top of my lungs with him. I honestly thought they were the best part of that version of DX, they were much funnier than HHH was at the time.

They're not the best tag team ever but they were the first ones to pop in my head and I loved them growing up.

I have to go with the British Bulldogs ! Fantastic workers and the best combo of speed, strength, power, and technical working ability in the history of the WWWF/WWF !

Honorable mentions go to Tito Santana & Ivan Putski and Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch.

I think of the Rockers because of how they NEVER held it! It frustrated me as a child, andI still wish they had gotten a run. That's always the first thing I think of when the Tag Titles come up. After that, Demolition, New Age Outlaws, and the Hart Foundation are the best answers, IMO. The three were always around the titles, were very over with the fans, had memorable appearances, and were just all around entertaining.

As an old WCW mark the two teams that spring to my mind are the LOD/ Road Warriors and the Steiners.

A couple of people have mentioned Demolition but they are widely regarded as Road Warrior knockoffs. Whilst many people might feel that their runs in the WWF disappointed - I've 4 words for ya "Oh, what a rush!"

The Steiner Brothers are my favourite tag team ever - these preppy all Americans where consummate performers but again it could be argued that their stay in the WWF was a disappointment.

These two teams where multiple time champions in the big two of the time and as such are my favourites - the Steiners edge the Warriors in my opinion as being the better all round team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back