Why the World Tag Team/Women's Championships Were Retired?

TheAwesome_RedX

Dark Match Winner
Now this is just my opinion and also my first thread but I believe they retired the world tag team and womens championships because vince noticed both divisions where not what they used to be he probably didnt want the likes of comic tag teams and tag teams that really dont show the charisma tag teams way before them have.
Think of it like this would you want Vlad and santino holing the same belts the The Wild Samoans,The Hart Foundation,Demolition,The Legion of Doom and many others held i wouldnt.

And the same for the womens championship would you want K2,A.Fox,and the bella twins holding the same title real women like ivory,chyna,mickie james, and trish held??? I believe Vince realized this and decided to retire the prestigious titles for the less prestigious titles which is the wwe tag team and divas title.

What are your thoughts??

Am i wrong and you know why they really got retired?

Would you had done the same??

WWE sees no value in tag or womens wrestling, nor have they in almost a decade. Retiring these titles cemented that fact.

They got retired due to lack of depth, plain and simple and it was totally avoidable. They barely have a tag division, they certainly don't need 2 sets of champions in the company. The divas are in a better position roster wise but once again it makes absolutely no sense to have 2 female champions in todays WWE when they lack quality. They have a hard enough time making the other titles they haven't retired relevant, I can see this trend continuing and WWE becoming 1 big show again 1 day.

I wouldn't have retired either championship. I think in both cases, the wrong belt got retired and the active ones should have been chosen but I can understand how you don't want to have to acknowledge 50 years worth of revisionist title history. The divas belt would be history and I would have just kept the tag belts unified until there were enough teams where you didn't have to.

I agree partially about Santino and Kozlov holding the same belts as The Hart Foundation, Wild Samoans etc, but i don't think that is the reason. The think the reason is simply they didn't have enough Tag Teams to have two different Tag Team Championships. So, they unified them, then decided to make its own belt. I think they called it the WWE Tag Team Championship was because they would want to promote the company and its accomplishments, just like TNA call there title TNA...

The Divas title I can totally agree on. However, another reason maybe the fact there isn't enough deserving divas that should hold a championship. Most don't even get to touch it. I mean Kelly Kelly just won her first. But, that doesn't mean not all of them didn't deserve it. Also, be honest, in todays age they aren't "Women" they are "Divas" so it makes sense to have a Divas Championship than Women's. The last time they were women was in the days before Sunny, not to say they're aren't any today.

Just thinking about it, Kharma and Beth Phoenix holding the Divas Championship seems like the ultimate joke. Can you imagine Kharma having a pink belt with a butterfly design over her shoulder? I can't, and I wouldn't be able to take it serious.

There are so many reasons why they retired the belts, but also loads not to. If Triple H is serious about rebooting the Tag Team division, I would get a new belt, as there would be too many teams for one belt, without holding the belts for a maximum of 40 days.
(Santino and ???, Otunga and McGillicutty, Kings of Wrestling???, Beer Money Inc??? and so many more by that point).

Just what I think. Stupide decisions, yet, how could they not make them?

I don't think Vince could give a crap about any "legacy' involving the women's title, just no reason to have two of them floating around while having eight diva tag matches that last as long as a commercial break happening every week.
And why have two sets of tag titles when there's like 4 teams? WWE's tag division is a joke. I suppose it's just cheaper to have singles matches so you don't have to pay as many people. You have to employ a certain ratio of women to men to look like a good R Truth and not discriminate, so they all get their face time together for two minutes a week.

So what you're saying is that Vince retired the titles out of respect of tradition? Um, no. Quite the opposite, actually. There are a ton of factors, but one in particular is that I think that Vince wanted to create his own WWE titles. The Women's Championship was originally an NWA championship. While the World Tag Team Championship was a WWWF creation, perhaps he didn't saw it as antiquated and not a part of the WWE he was trying to create. These aren't the only reasons, of course. The tag division wasn't deserving of two championships. The women's division, likewise. They weren't big enough to justify two (or four) belts.

To say it was because Vince didn't want to desecrate "great" championships is stupid. Great teams didn't always hold the World Tag Team Championship. Spirit Squad anyone? Eugene and William Regal say "hi" too. These "real women" you speak of didn't always hold the Women's Championship. Candice Michelle held it. You're idea has just been proven wrong by Eric Bischoff's mentally challenged nephew.

I honestly see no difference in this whatsoever, and doubt they thought of "past champions" when they retired the titles. They simply saw the obvious, and acted on it. There's little to no value in women's wrestling, so to have 2 titles for the Divas, God bless em, was too much. I think they created the second title in hopes of generating interest in the Diva's, but pulled the plug when absolutely nothing came of it. I think all the thought they put into retiring the Divas championship was simply trending with the times. The company doesn't refer to their females as "Women's Wrestlers", they call them "Divas." So it was simply keeping the name of the title that the name of the division centered around.

The second set of Tag Team Championships had to go as well, and they did the right thing by eliminating the titles. The titles are current called the WWE Tag team Championships, so I dont think its any disgrace to former holders such as Edge, Rey Mysterio, Kurt Angle, and Chris Benoit for there to be teams of this day and age to be holding them. There have been some very credible teams to hold them when they were Unified, such as Jerishow and DX, for example. The only reason I believe they changed the name to the WWE Tag Team Championships was that before they did, you had the champs coming to the ring with both sets of belts, which was rediculous. So they did the logical thing and made a solo championship for each champion. The name, both regarding the Divas and the Tag straps, is irrelevant, really. Let me explain.

When people think back at The Road Warriors or the Hart Foundation, most won't remember that they held the "World Tag Team Championships", they simply were the tag champions in the WWF. There have been so many changes over the years and with the introduction of the WWE Tag Team Championship back at No Mercy 2002, it became even more convoluted, especially the longer you look back. Since Vince has admittedly noted that he doesn't care about tag team wrestling, Im guessing that he may not even remember who held what title. So the same thing will be remembered next to the names of David Otunga and Michael McGuillicutty, Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov, and The Hart Dynasty, and that's that they were Tag Team Champions within the WWE . I dont believe it matters one bit to Vince or anyone else in control what the name says on the title, nor were they thinking about Legacy. The WWE Tag Team Championship is simply a name relational to the company, so hence, they created a title with its name in it! Noone will look back and compare Vlad and Santino to L.O.D. or the Hart Foundation anyway, so what does it matter what the name of the title is? All the teams won the Tag Championships in the same company, but legacy, not title name, is what the best will be remembered for.

As for the Divas/Women's championship, Kelly Kelly, Alicia Fox, and Nikki Bella will all be remembered as reigning the Divas division at one point in their careers, the same as Moolah, Lita, Trish, and Mickie. Will they be held in the same regard? No, but it has nothing to do with "dumbing down" the names of the titles to protect the legacy of the old guard. Those who created a legacy won't be forgotten or lose their place in history, so the name of the championship is truly irrelevant.

Not to shoot you down, but maybe its just a case of out with the old in with the new, New titles for the new generation so to speak.

So i put this to you, Did they retire the origianal WWE Championship in favour of the spinner cause they didnt want chumps like Cena, Orton and Edge making a mockery of their most prestigous title? No it was change for the next generation. By the way i wish they would hurry up and create a new title cause as long as its the spinner you anticipate Cena winning the title again.

I understand that this is slightly off topic and Santino, Kozlov and the tag titles are not in the same league.

The WWE title does not spin anymore!!!!

An personally i agree with the hole out with the old in with the new idea. Vince just probally wants his own titles that he created so he can have the credit for it. I believe also on there called Divas an not Women Entertainer's so for them to hold a Womens title an be in a Diva's match just sounds stupid. An why have two championship's for a division where we either see a Battle Royal, 6 Divas tag, or a one on one, for two min match?!?! An the tag team title's umm there really isn't a tag tem division. Honestly I know of The USO'S and the former Nexus guys. (if anyone can tell me more teams please do)

I think it has nothing to do with Vince an tarnishing careers, it just has to do with lack of division's and Vince wanting to keep his idea of the WWE going. Just my opinion.

:p

the title may not spin but it still looks like a spinner and has a hip hop feel to it. Back to the thread though.

I highly doubt the changes were made out of respect to tradition. If anything i agree with the poster who says they are just updated to keep up with the times, which is hardly novel, remember when Warrior won the belt, it became that purple strap.

The divas championship as opposed to a woman's championship i believe was changed bc they aren't women's wrestlers but rather divas. It wasn't out of respect to those who came before, but rather, just a way to differentiate those now and to keep purists away from arguing about diva's winning a women's championship. It's a small distinction to say they are doing it to highlight the current wrestlers and not to respect the old school, but i feel like it needs to be made because you are giving vince too much credit for having respect if you don't haha.

as for the tag team belts, this puzzles me why the tag division has been shit. Yea, you may not want santino and vlad having the belts the samoans had or the harts, but damn, i wouldn't mind the Usos and the Hart Dynasty holding the same belts as their predecessors. There are a lot of good wrestlers who could make amazing tag teams, even rhodes and dibiase would have been much more over in a better tag division (though rhodes seems to be ok now). Again, i am just puzzled by this, a strong tag division can help bolster a VERY VERY VERY weak undercard as is the case in the WWE right now. All they have is Cena and Punk and the rest of the show is thrown together crap... you could easily have storylines involving the other guys and tag storylines.

Because "women's championship" is so outdated and that they call every single woman in WWE a Diva so it made sense to keep the new/fresher belt. Tag belts that stumped me then I thought about it, World Tag Team Championships were WWF Tag Champs lineage, and we're in the WWE nowadays so it made sense to stick to WWE Tag Championships lineage, remember thou these are props, they can't take the championship away like it never existed. In time I believe the World Heavyweight Championship belt will become the WWE Championship just not yet.

I think it mostly has to do with their names. WWE Tag Team Title makes more sense than World Tag Team. Diva is the main word they use for females. Both titles have had great champions.

I do with WWE did more with tag teams. Breaking up The Hart Dynasty made no sense to me. It seems more like the belt is for 2 random singles stars who have nothing to do at the time. I also dislike the design of the belts. I miss the classic look of the World Tag Team Championship & the "blue" design of the WWE Tag Team Titles.

Divas title looks pretty stupid took. I think of all of the main female titles, the Knockouts looks the best. Hopefully Beth Phoenix gets the belt for a while & then feuds with Kharma.

There were too many belts and they had to whittle down how many there were. They waited too long to kill the World tag team title. Tag team wrestling in WWE died in 2005. Vince hasn't cared about tag teams in years. Some say he thinks they don't draw, others think it's because he tag teams mean more men in the ring and thus, more money to pay out. Part of me thinks he should do away with the WWE tag team title, too.

The Divas Championship should have never been created. It came about so that there was a women's title on each show, but women's wrestling in WWE went downhill in 2004 when the WWE braintrust decided they wanted "divas" instead of "female superstars". Within a year, every woman who could actually wrestle was fired or driven out except Trish, Lita and Victoria - and Lita spent most of the last 18 months of her career as Edge's valet instead of regularly wrestling. Once Trish retired, no one else was as over as she was to carry the torch. There were still good female wrestlers (Beth Phoenix, Melina, Victoria, Mickie James, Michelle McCool, ...) but it wasn't the same. They should have kept the Women's Championship and done away with "The Butterfly Belt".

i think the tag titles is more of a lack of enough teams for 2 sets of titles...although even when there was more teams i never saw a need for 2 sets of tag team titles in the same company. then with the womens title i think its because the women in wwe today are called divas so they gave them a divas championship like impact wrestling has the knockouts title because there knockouts..although lay-cool "splitting the womens title in half" was just horrible

Divas over Womens title is simple: the Divas title is "prettier" and probably sells more replicas. Same goes for why I think the US title is on RAW now instead of the IC title.

As for the World Tag Team titles being retired, I think it was more of a mistake and Vince not caring than anything. They wanted to ditch the Unified Tag Titles because the concept of both guys carrying 2 belts was silly in the first place, and they reverted back to using the WWE Tag Team titles only instead of the older Wold Tag Team titles. Personally I would have just called the new championship the "WWE World Tag Team Championship" and used the World Tag lineage.

the tag thing was because that's too many guys and there's not enough distinction between different tag styles.

I kinda hope that WWE initiates a trios title for Smackdown and uses the tag for Raw. They can experiement with the trios concept by having some trios matches on their Mexican tour and on the Raw in Mexico city. The live audience will like it being a traditional mexican concept. Then you use it a few more times with an american audience and see if it catches on. It's one of the few matches where you can have a ton of spots and they all look spontaneous and logical but no one has to sell (which seems to be a problem with a lot of spotters). You put it on Smackdown because they obviously cater to more minorities and are kind of the experimental brand.

Then again, if it's hard for them to field a tag division, it's probably unlikely they'd be able to field a tag division AND a trios division. I guess if I want my trios fix I can tune into CMLL or AAA.

Those two belts were retired because there are not enough tag teams or divas to keep the divisions interesting on both shows. It got to the point where people were winning the belts shortly after their debut. Like Deuce and Domino. They sucked and were not championship material, yet they were the only option to defeat London and Kendrick's year long reign. The only other options were keep the belts on London and Kendrick forever, or Jesse and Festus. Raw had the better tag division. Same goes for the divas. Smackdown had Michelle McCool and a bunch of nobodies. Now why the lesser belts (divas and wwe tag) were the ones that were kept is beyond me. The Womens Championship and World Tag Team Championship were far more prestigious. I would say perhaps it is because they had already invested money into the belts and therefore decided to try to add to their prestige through the unifications rather than give up on the new ones. Too bad both the tag team and female divisions still suck despite having unified titles.

In response to the first post.. I was thinking the same thing today. I was wondering exactly how long London & Kendrick held the WWE Tag Team Championships (the ones that were at the time on SmackDOWN!, which for anyone wondering was 331 days, the fourth longest tag title reign in WWE history) and was SHOCKED to find out that the current tag titles are following the lineage of that very title. Now I know it doesn't really matter to most people, as general wrestling fans only really care about the main belts and what is currently happening... but to hardcore wrestling fans I think it does matter quite a deal.

The World tag team championship that got retired was called the WWE Tag team championship until the very moment Stephanie brought her own tag titles to smackdown. For reasons beyond me I do not know why they took the WWE name from titles that had been in usage since the early seventies and place them on a brand new belt... but what confuses me even more is that when both the tag titles got unified at Wrestlemania they continued to use BOTH title histories all the way until the Hart Dynasty got the new bronze belts...

NOW they only use the new title history that began in 2002, retiring the old belts and history meaning that the belts that are being carried around now aren't the ones rich with all the past champions that have carried tag belts in the WWE. The Hart Foundation, LOD, Edge & Christian, Demoliton, The Hardy Boys, The Dudleys & The RockNSock Connection... You think that the WWE would rather USE that lineage to hype up the tag titles to show just how Important the fans SHOULD think they are.

The WWE title does not spin anymore!!!!

An personally i agree with the hole out with the old in with the new idea. Vince just probally wants his own titles that he created so he can have the credit for it. I believe also on there called Divas an not Women Entertainer's so for them to hold a Womens title an be in a Diva's match just sounds stupid. An why have two championship's for a division where we either see a Battle Royal, 6 Divas tag, or a one on one, for two min match?!?! An the tag team title's umm there really isn't a tag tem division. Honestly I know of The USO'S and the former Nexus guys. (if anyone can tell me more teams please do)

I think it has nothing to do with Vince an tarnishing careers, it just has to do with lack of division's and Vince wanting to keep his idea of the WWE going. Just my opinion.

:p

That would be the actual WWE Tag Team Champions in Kofi and Bourne, as well as the Usos and what appears to be a team in Miz and R-Truth. With the KOW possibly coming in soon, this division, as Jim Ross alluded to on Raw, should be more prominantly focused on in weeks coming. The tag team division has been incredibly re-invigorated over the past few weeks with Bourne and Kofi winning the titles, which should hopefully give the division more focus based upon the way they celebrated the title victory. We could see some more dart-board tag teams(Morrison and Riley?) that could make for some interesting times within the division, possibly even tag team turmoil at NOC. Interesting times indeed within the tag division.

I'm glad both divisions seem to be back on track, esecially the tag division. I don't mind that they kept the WWE tag titles. I just want a new, classic-looking design for it.

As for the Women's title, I think it may come back soon actually. With the divas' current storyline I could see Beth winning the title eventually and binning it and resurrect the Women's title. It goes with her and Natalya's crusade against eye-candy divas amd their eye-candy title.

It'd be a great springboard for a Beth-Natalya feud as well as Natalya has held the Divas title and Beth could start belittling her for it leading to a match at Mania where Natalya wins her first Women's championship.

Plus, with Kharma in the picture I just don't think they will saddle her with the Divas' title. It just doesn't go with her look AT ALL. I mean, even the Undertaker hasn't been given the spinner belt cos he would just look silly with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back