WWE SummerSlam 2018 General Discussion & Reviews

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Keep all general talk of the potential matches, fantasy booking, etc. in here. As of right now, the only official match on the card is:

WWE Raw Women's Championship - Alexa Bliss vs. Ronda Rousey

And, unless plans have changed and a miracle happens, next week's Raw will probably see:

WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns

Matches confirmed;
WWE RAW Women's Championship - Alexa Bliss(c) vs. Ronda Rousey
Well we all knew that this was coming, although personally I thought they would have waited a while before announcing this as Rousey was still suspended, but each to their own and I am glad that it is happening overall.

Matches I'd like to see Confirmed;
WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar(c) vs. Roman Reigns vs. Bobby Lashley
Now I know the plan is to have Lesnar/Reigns, but why not just do a false finish on RAW; then have both men ask for the match, and be granted it, I mean Lashley has beaten Reigns already (at a PPV no less, which, last time I checked is more important than RAW), and Reigns has his complaints to have a match.

WWE Championship - AJ Styles(c) vs. Samoa Joe
It has been rumoured, and in my opinion, I would love to see it happen.

WWE SmackDown Women's Championship - Carmella(c) vs. Becky Lynch
Now I know that Becky has been absent to the title picture for a while, but I do believe that she would be the best fit to take the Championship away from Carmella, plus having her win, for Charlotte to come out and congratulate her, only to turn heel, would set their feud up (which needs to happen).

Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz
No input needed for this.

Sasha Banks vs. Bayley
Same as above.

WWE Intercontinental Championship - Dolph Ziggler(c) vs. Seth Rollins [No Disqualification]
Personally I see this feud going on till at least Hell in a Cell in September, reason being the best way to culminate the feud would be to have it in a HIAC with no interference, would secure Rollins winning back the Championship (and possibly Ambrose returning, turning heel and beginning their feud).

WWE United States Championship - Shinsuke Nakamura(c) vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton
Not so much that I want to see it, but I believe that, this is the route that they're going.

WWE RAW Tag Team Championships - The B-Team(c) vs. AOP vs. The Revival
The two best tag teams on RAW at the minute, and the Champions. Finally give the Revival the rub they need, plus I would love to see an AOP/Revival feud, one that we never fully got in NXT.

Matt Hardy vs. Bray Wyatt
Well overdue for this team to break apart.

WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championships - The Bludgeon Brothers(c) vs. The New Day vs. Sanity vs. The Bar
Might be another fatal four way for the titles, but what better way to get the teams on the main show; plus I believe that this would be the best way to have Sanity go over; and to finally have the impending break-up of the New Day (it will be exactly four years since they won their second and longest reigning tag team title run)

Finn Balor vs. Drew McIntyre
Both men deserve to be on the show, and this past Monday shows the chemistry that both men have. I believe it would be a barn burner and a match of the year candidate; if given the time.

My Summerslam Card

1) Lesnar vs. Lashley vs. Reigns vs. Stroman (Universal Title) - Lesnar can drop the strap without being pinned. Perfect for all involved.
2) Styles vs. Samoa Joe (WWE Title) - this feud could be epic if done right
3) Nakamura vs. Orton (US Title) - with Hardy needing time off great feud for Nakamura to start his Title reign with
4) Ziggler/McIntyre vs. Rollins/Ambrose
5) Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz
6) Bludgeon Brothers vs. The Bar (Smackdown Tag Titles)
7) Bliss vs. Rousey (Raw Women's Title)
8) Carmella vs. Becky vs. Asuka (Smackdown Women's Title)
9) Sasha vs. Bailey
10) B Team vs. Hardy/Wyatt (No DQ)
11) Finn Balor vs. Baron Corbin

Ok now I know that WWE will want to try and get everyone on the show like they always do but in my fantasy world I would only want matches that make sense and don't care to see people on the show that don't have anything going. Having said that, here is my card and match outcome:

Although I'd love to see AJ finally main event a PPV for WWE championship, we all know if Brock's on the card, this will be the main event

Brock Lesnar (c) vs Lashley vs Reigns-Triple Threat Match for Universal Championship
-not sure outcome of match if Lesnar or one of the other guy wins however, I'd have Strowman cash in his MitB contact and win the title which would send everyone home happy because A-everyone love a cash in, B-people are tired of Brock as champion, and C-I don't know many who want Roman or Lashley as champ either.

AJ Styles(c) vs Samoa Joe for WWE Championship
-Since I believe the Universal Championship will change hands, I wouldn't have this one do so also. I'd have Joe look incredibly strong in this match and have AJ win but maybe have some ref controversy or something as I'd have this feud continue with Joe winning at the next PPV and culminate their feud in a Hell in a Cell match with Joe retaining.

Daniel Bryan vs Miz
-I think now that DB has a contract renewal he will get pushed again like he should have. I think WWE will pull the trigger and hope they won't do a Kane vs Bryan match due to infighting between Team Hell No. God help us. I'd have Maryse interfere in the match giving Miz the win. Then setup a Tag match with the wives involved at next PPV and then have DB and Miz in 2nd HitC match.

Alexa Bliss (c) vs Ronda Rousey for Raw Women's Title
-match is confirmed. I'd have Rousey go over maybe kayfabe injuring Bliss arm and have her take some needed time off for awhile. I'd have Rousey run through challengers until finally when they bring Shayna Baszler up to challenge Ronda saying she always felt like she was in her shadow and that she ran the women's division in NXT just like she will on Raw.

Carmella (c) vs Becky Lynch for Smackdown Women's Title
-I don't know how much I care about Asuka right now. The luster has worn off because of how she's been booked. I think it's time to give Becky her chance and hopefully, the strap. Carmella can talk better than most women on SD but she just can't wrestle and please don't get me started on that waste of space Ellsworthless. Becky wins. Have Charlotte return to congratulate and then turn heel, which she is much better at, and there is your next feud for women's SD title.

Dolph Ziggler (c) vs Seth Rollins for Intercontinental Championship
-maybe No DQ, steel cage, or falls count anywhere match. Have McIntyre get involved by beating Rollins down near end of match with Ziggler since it's no DQ only to have Ambrose return to clear the ring maybe with a chair only to turn heel on Rollins by hitting him with it. Have Ambrose align with Ziggler and McIntyre and of course setup feud with Rollins and Ambrose. Ziggler can move on to feud with Balor or someone else.

Nakamura (c) vs Orton vs Rusev vs Hardy-Fatal 4 way for US Title
Obviously something going on between Orton and Nakamura. Don't know Hardy's situation. I'd have Nakamura retain as he needs a little run with a title. Then maybe setup feud with him and Rusev making Rusev officially a face since everyone cheers for him anyways.

B-Team (c) vs Hardy/Wyatt vs Revival for Raw Tag Team Championship-not fan of the B-Team and Hardy/Wyatt are stale. Get the straps on the Revival and build feuds with AOP and a returning American Alpha in the future.

Bludgeon Bros (c) vs The Bar for Smackdown Tag Team Championship-Have Bludgeon retain and have Sanity (yes I know they're heels too) come out and attack everyone and actually create chaos. This could setup Triple Threat for tag belts at next PPV.

Sad to keep some off but unless they can really build something or setup the match correctly, I don't wanna see it as the matches above need to happen. I also am not gonna fantasy book Pre-Show which I think is worthless. People left off:New Day, Usos, Sasha, Bayley, Balor, Owens, Nia, Moon, Almas, etc. Although I want to see these guys utilized, they just don't have any build or in case of Sasha/Bayley, the feud is being built like shit.

**On a side note, an alternate scenario WWE could also use it to push Bryan to face Styles as a mutual respect match only to have Miz cost DB title setting up their feud. After they fight each other all the way to the back after the match is over, have Joe come over the railing to attack Styles as he's getting his hand raised for retaining.

If i was WWE here what my summerslam card would look like (i'm including matches that are already confirm or are about to be confirm)

WWE Universal Championship match: triple Threat
Roman Reigns Vs Lashley Vs Brock Lesnar(C)

I think at this point either option for a one on one title match sucks. The last 2 Lesnar/reigns matches we're overbooked and it kill the potential of another match and i'm not really interested in seeing the Black Version of Brock Lesnar face Lesnar Since Lashley and Lesnar are pretty much the same wrestler. So just do a triple threat, let them beat each other up, have Lesnar retain the title and have Strowman cash in and win the belt from lesnar.

Raw women's title match
Ronda Rousey vs Alexa bliss(c)

This is pretty much confirm at this point so i don't have any reason to not included this. Ronda isn't ready for the title yet so what i would do is have her beat the shit out of mickie and alexa and has she about to win the belt, have natalya screw her out of the title. That way you she doesn't win the belt and you keep her strong at the same time plus it give her a program for after summerslam

Smackdown Women's title match
Becky Lynch vs Carmella(c)

Another match that's almost confirm at this point. So i feel like it's time to give the fans what they want and that's becky winning the belt again. She been one of the most over women's on smackdown since the brand split and fans have been wanting for her to get the belt back for what seem like years now. So why not pull the trigger on the title switch here.

WWe Championship match
Andrate ''Cien'' almas vs AJ Styles

I just saw their match on smackdown and i was impress by the match so why not just find a way to do a rematch and maybe even give the surprise win to almas.

Dolph Ziggler & Drew Mcintyre vs The Shield (ambrose & Rollins)

For all the reports i've read, Ambrose is almost ready to come back so why not insert him into this feud. Plus it makes sense that Rollins go get help to get revenge on Ziggler and Mcintyre.

U.S Title Match triple Threat
Randy Orton vs Jeff Hardy Vs Shinsuke Nakamura(c)

Personally i would rather see a some sort of stipulation match between hardy and orton but since i don'T know what to do with shinsuke i decide to have him defend the title against those 2.

Smackdown tag team title match: tag team turmoil match
The bludgeon brothers vs the uso's vs The Bar vs the new day vs Sanity

Again, why not just do this match since their no clear direction for the bludgeon going into summerslam. The only other option would be to have a rematch between the bludgeon's and team hell no but i doubt that kane is coming back.

The miz vs daniel bryan

Unless this become a tag match at the ppv, it seems like they started to plan the seed for this match at summerslam so i feel like they really should have Miz go over in the first match and continue to build up for a while after that.

Finn balor vs Baron Corbin

Don't know why i'm putting this match on the card but i want finn to have a match and that's kinda the only guy that i have left.

Strowman vs kevin owens

Another repeat from extreme rules but You need both guys on the card so why not.

Kickoff show

Bobby Roode vs Mojo Rawley

I think that this would be a great way to elevate Mojo by beating Roode plus you could start the slow heel turn for Roode out of it

Sasha Banks Bayley & ember moon vs Sarah Logan, Liv Morgan & Alicia fox

I nothing six women match but since they been wasting time with these storylines why not give them a match on the kickoff. I could see the riott squad just leave in the middle of the match and leave alicia alone to get beaten by the three babyface.

Raw tag team championship match
The B-Team(c) vs the revival

The revival kinda have gotten some sort of a small push lately and the b-team need somebody to face at summerslam so why not do this match. It will be a solid tag match and it would give another credible win for the b-team before eventually getting destroyed by the authors of pain.

I would also do some sort of broken universe match between Matt and Bray either on the kickoff or on the actual show.

My personal predictions:

MAIN EVENT
UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP
Braun Strowman (c) vs Bobby Lashley vs Roman Reigns
Next week, in the Roman vs Lashley, make Brock interfere, and get both to a draw, and before one of them is getting the F5, the other (most probably Roman) spear him. Then, both beat Lesnar, and suddenly, a scream: BRAUUUUUUUUUUUN! He is cashing in! Make both Roman and Bobby, look confused, but in the end, Roman looks and says: Hey, at least he will be here every week... So they let him cash in, and book the triple threat for Summerslam, so it's No-DQ and can be booked better, saving the singles matches.

WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
AJ Styles (c) vs Cesaro
The Bar is not doing anything, and both guys are top talent. I don't see Samoa Joe being the #1 contender yet, but both, Cesaro and Sheamus can work a fantastic match with AJ, and building Cesaro up in the card is good for SD

IC Championship
Dolph Ziggler (c) vs Finn Balor
Get finally a Demon Balor comeback. Get him the title, he needs it.

US Championship
Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Kofi Kingston
Yeah, a random match as we have Randy-Jeff and New Day-Sanity, but I think the first is going for a Singles without title and the feud is over between New Day and Sanity. We can have Xavier and Kofi losing to Nakamura just to have Big E step as the top guy for the New Day...

RAW Tag Team Championship
The B Team (c) vs The Revival
Preshow meat. They did with the B team what they didn't do with the Fashion Police. But they need a strong heel team, and I would love to see again America Alpha, AA vs AOP/Revival is good worthy feud

SD Tag Team Championship
Daniel Bryan and The Miz vs The Bludgeon Brothers (c)
Yeah, I'm crazy. But is fuel to the match between Miz and Bryan, have them beat them, have them in a short reign, so they rebuild a bit the Tag Team Division, and then Miz can beat AJ for the WWE title and Bryan win the Rumble, just to make the match for WM. It's a right stone in the right place.

RAW Women Championship
Ronda Rousey vs Alexa Bliss (c)
Obvious match. Ronda can work a lot of feuds playing the badass face. And Alexa needs a time off.

SD Women Championship
Carmella (c) vs Becky Lynch
It's really close as next week we can have it. Not other women is so hot in SD to face Carmella, and Becky regaining the Championship can work well

Samoa Joe vs Rusev vs Eric Young vs Sheamus
Make it a number one contender, with Joe and Rusev being more the "faces" or even can be booked Sanity vs Sheamus&Rusev&Joe
Samoa Joe should win this, to be a proper contender.

Randy Orton vs Jeff Hardy
Maybe a falls count anywhere or some extreme rules match, Orton can destroy Jeff to be booked as the top heel. And Jeff can do a come back as Nero

Loser leaves RAW
Bayley vs Sasha Banks
Already teased, I would say it's obvious. Have Bayley lose and be moved, so she can embrace the hate and Sasha can work heel with Ronda.

Seth Rollins vs Drew McIntyre vs Elias vs Mojo Rawley vs Bobby Roode vs Jinder Mahal
I will love to see a Elimination match between them. And the winner can get a title shot.​

Personally, I'm a firm believer that we really don't need 12 or 14 matches on the card. For instance, a fair bit of what we saw at Extreme Rules could've been settled & shown on TV instead of being put on a ppv. I'd go something like this:

SummerSlam Kickoff Show

WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Cedric Alexander vs. Lio Rush
WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - The B-Team vs. The Revival vs. Bray Wyatt & Matt Hardy
WWE SD Tag Team Championship - The Bludgeon Brothers vs. The New Day vs. SAnitY

SummerSlam Main Card

WWE Universal Champinship - Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Braun Strowman
WWE Championship - AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe
WWE Intercontinental Championship - Dolph Ziggler vs. Seth Rollins (No DQ)
WWE United States Championship - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton
WWE SD Women's Championship - Carmella vs. Becky Lynch
Singles Match - Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz
Singles Match - Bayley vs. Sasha Banks

Considering that the main card for SummerSlam will probably be at least 4 hours long, I feel that 3 matches for the kickoff show and 8 for the main card is more than enough. Putting everyone on the card just adds unnecessary time to the show, saps the energy from the crowd with pointless matches and takes time away from matches that could genuinely use it in order to reach their full potential.

For the kickoff show matches, I went with matches that seem logical. While Lio Rush is fairly new, he's a fresh, cocky heel and really the only true heel on the 205 Live roster that Alexander hasn't already beaten. The Raw tag title matches I got as I just don't see this Monday's rematch being the end of the B-Team/Hardy & Wyatt feud and the fact we saw the Revival watching backstage. The SmackDown tag title match is sort of the same as New Day & SAnitY are really the only full time teams that've been a focus for SD for a little while and a threeway with the BBs seems natural.

For the main card, the best way to get a good match out of Lesnar is to put him in three or fourway matches. One of the best matches of the year last year was the SummerSlam hoss fight, so why not try the sequel? I put Strowman in here as he cashes in before the match starts or announces he's cashing in ahead of time as I just don't think the cowardly cash in really fits with Strowman's character.

Styles vs. Samoa Joe has been rumored for a few months, it'll be a good program so I'm all for it.

Ziggler vs. Rollins, if the feud hasn't ended with their ER match, could be blown off here with Ziggler retaining and McIntyre turning on Ziggler to set up the next program.

The rest of the card is pretty self explanatory, the women's title matches are all but etched in stone right now, Hardy can take time off, if needed, after he gets in a big payday for SummerSlam, Bryan vs. Miz is happening and you can just sense that Bayley vs. Sasha is as well.

Every match should have a purpose and a reason for actually being on the ppv card and I think this card, especially the main card, features matches that most, if not all, fans are interested in. If some of the talent gripes about not being on the card, tough shit as filler matches, in my opinion, don't belong on ppvs, especially not a ppv that might go a good 5 hours in the first place.

As of tonight, the card for SummerSlam is this:

WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns
WWE Championship - AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe
WWE Intercontinental Championship - Dolph Ziggler vs. Seth Rollins
WWE United States Championship - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Jeff Hardy
WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Cedric Alexander vs. Drew Gulak
WWE SD Women's Championship - Carmella vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch
MITB Briefcase Match - Braun Strowman vs. Kevin Owens
Singles Match - Finn Balor vs. Baron Corbin

That's a total of 9 matches, which would be and should be plenty for any reasonable card but no, WWE's not finished yet. After tomorrow night, the Bludgeon Brothers' opponents will be revealed after the Bar takes on New Day and Bryan vs. Miz will probably be announced. So, count on a minimum of 11 matches and don't be surprised if a couple more aren't added sometime between Wednesday and the end of SD Live next week.

Strowman vs. Owens isn't really needed and Balor vs. Corbin is completely worthless. As they're going to have a Raw Tag Team Championship triple threat match next Monday, just have the SD Tag Team Championship match on Tuesday and leave the tag titles off SummerSlam entirely.

The problem is that they take summerslam as huge event so It's going to be a 7 hour event if you count the kickoff, so you need thoses filler match like Corbin vs balor.

Also they want to put as match guys as possible on the card so it wouldn't be surprised to see Orton getting added to the US title match, asuka into the women's title match. Also would be surprise if the raw tag title match that they are doing on raw next week, will get some sort of rematch on summerslam. Like mention Bryan vs mid and the bludgeon vs new day or the bar will be announce either this week or next week. I wouldn't be surprise to see Elias vs lashley being added as well on the card which would make it 13 matches on the card.

Take let's say, the cruiserweight title match, the raw tag title match(if they do one) and Finn vs Corbin of the main card and put them on the kickoff and you still have 10 match for the main card which is still too much for a Ppv but that's wwe.

Paul Heyman will definitely factor in at SummerSlam either he will help Brock to retain his title yet again and all of this has been set up as a ruse to play all of us or if Heyman and Brock really are done with one another then I can see Heyman turning on Brock a la Survivor Series 2002 screwjob type finish where Heyman turned on Brock and helped Big Show to beat Brock to become WWE Champion. We are definitely in for one of those 2 scenarios or Strowman/Owens cashing in on Brock or on Reigns either post match or mid match similar to Rollins.

All in all, I thought SummerSlam was a very good show, surprisingly good in fact. I was expecting the show to just drag on forever but that wasn't the case at all as the layout of the show kept everything going at a smooth pace and I can honestly say that I wasn't bored the entire time. Personally, I'd have made a few changes but, all in all, I felt WWE delivered last night.

I didn't catch the first part of the kickoff show, though I didn't miss out on anything as far as the mixed tag team match was concerned.

Cedric Alexander vs. Drew Gulak was a good, 3.25 star bout that featured a nice mesh of styles and some good, physical action. Gulak's a good talker and has easily been the true heel presence of 205 Live, so I thought he'd pick up the win here but that wasn't the case. Still, it was a fun match all in all.

The B Team vs. The Revival was generally okay, about 2.25 stars, but ultimately nothing to write home about. I dig the B Team's schtick overall, but they're eventually going to have to come off as more serious in some ways, namely actually being able to win matches in ways that don't look like a fluke. I know that's part of the gimmick but it's something that I think has a relatively short shelf life.

The Intercontinental Championship match between Dolph Ziggler and Seth Rollins started the main card off and it was a great choice. It started out sort of slow, as is the usual case, with Ziggler & Rollins sort of feeling each other out a bit but once it got started, it never stopped. Both men worked their asses off to deliver a strong bout and the presence of Ambrose & McIntyre at ringside was just about presence as neither one really did anything to impede the match. I felt that it was a great 4 to 4.25 star bout with Rollins winning the title. I was kinda hoping this would be the end to their feud but what I'm really wanting to see is McIntyre moved out from being Ziggler's heavy.

The SD Tag Team Championship match between the Bludgeon Brothers and New Day was a fun 3.25 star, 10 minute bout. If given a good 10 to 15 minutes more, then you'd have seen an all time classic as I remember some of the matches they had when Harper & Rowan were part of the Wyatt Family and the ultimate potential these teams have with each other is right up there with the strength of the New Day & Uso matches. The DQ ending was okay as it made sense for a team to finally push the BBs to a limit where they have to resort of underhandedness or maybe react out of frustration.

Braun Strowman vs. Kevin Owens is something I probably wouldn't have even done. I dislike seeing anyone of Owens' ability reduced to such fodder for anybody, even Braun Strowman. However, since they did it, they did the very best thing they could do in that they kept it under 2 minutes.

The SD Women's Championship match between Carmella, Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch was, overall, quite fun and much better than I expected. I felt it was a very good 3.5 star bout that saw all three women work hard and gave Carmella her best outing to date. Lots of drama, good storytelling and a title change is what was needed and this match delivered all three. The problem, however, is that WWE has miscast Charlotte and Becky into the wrong roles, something that's becoming quite common on the main roster. Charlotte wins the match and the title, Becky congratulates her, then turns and starts beating the hell out of her. In my opinion, it should've been Becky to win and for Charlotte to turn heel because the fans want to cheer for Becky; when she beat down Charlotte, Becky got one of the biggest pops of the night and Charlotte is far, far better as a heel than as a babyface. It was easier to sympathize with Becky than Charlotte as, from a kayfabe perspective, Becky had her title shot before Charlotte bigfooted her way into the match. Charlotte has essentially become the John Cena of the women's division in that she's almost always on top and this makes her 7th title win, not to say that she isn't great or talented or any of that but Charlotte as a heel just works out, especially if the ultimate plan is for her to meet up with Ronda Rousey at WrestleMania next year.

AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe was a great 4.25 star bout that delivered upon what it needed to. Styles and Joe put on good matches, it's what they do, it's what was expected of them and they delivered. I'm fine with the DQ ending as it means we get them again, probably inside Hell in a Cell, and the last few minutes of the match saw that the feud is going to get more intense with Joe addressing Styles' wife and daughter at ringside. It made Styles even more of a sympathetic babyface because losing his temper and blasting Joe with a steel chair was perfectly understandable.

Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz was a lot of fun. The crowd wasn't as into it as I figured but I also figured that they, like me, expected some sort of cheat ending from the Miz due to Maryse being at ringside. I put the match at 3.75, maybe 4 stars as there was some great physical action from both men and I like the story that was told with Miz coming off like someone who was not only trying to show Bryan up but to do it in a way to make it seem like he was Bryan's superior. I also like that they gave this match a lot of time, about 23.5 minutes to be exact and it was the longest match on the card. The ending to the match was a classic heel ending with Maryse "comforting" her hubby at the barricade while slipping a foreign object into his hand. He punches Bryan with the loaded fist, quickly hands the object back to Maryse and gets the win. I still think Bryan will or already has re-signed with WWE, otherwise WWE wouldn't have felt the need to give him an out and protect him with the way the match ended. Besides, a brief backstage scene with Bryan in the trainer's room being iced down while voicing his frustration over what happened also suggests that Bryan isn't going anywhere and that the feud will go on.

Finn Balor vs. Baron Corbin was something that didn't need to happen at all. Balor showed up as the "Demon King" and beat Corbin in about 90 seconds so, at least, they kept it very short. Corbin's a great heat magnet, but it just seems like a bit of a waste to pull out the Demon King on Corbin.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Jeff Hardy for the United States Championship was a solid 3 star outing. It's something that I felt could've easily happened on SmackDown Live rather than SummerSlam, but it was a solid outing and had the right outcome with Nakamura retaining. I have to admit that I cringed when Hardy missed the Swanton Bomb spot on the apron; Hardy is said to have some nerve issues, so I think this was a spot he could have avoided doing but Hardy is one of those wrestlers who's more into the moment than anything else.

Alexa Bliss vs. Ronda Rousey for the Raw Women's Championship is something that's sort of hard to grade or rank as a whole. It only lasted for about 4 minutes but it did tell a good story in those 4 minutes with Rousey coming off as more confident than she's ever looked yet in WWE and Bliss being reluctant to even get into the ring with her. Ultimately though, how it played out is probably exactly the way it should have because nobody believed that Bliss was any sort of threat to Rousey and I'm so very, very glad that they didn't have some sort of screwjob ending with Mickie James running out or Nikki Bella, who was at ringside, interfering. The crowd really, really popped when Rousey started working on Bliss' arm and the fact that Alexa is double jointed allowed her to pop her arm out of place and that visual, coupled with the look on her face and the sound of her shrieking like a damned soul really sold the whole sequence. Rousey wins the Raw Women's Championship and that outcome plus the clean ending, plus the selling Alexa did makes this a good 3 star outing.

Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns for the Universal Championship is something else that's kind of hard to grade in some ways. I think it was very smart, however, of WWE to have Braun Strowman come out before the match and to declare his intentions of challenging the winner of the match immediately afterward. The overall match was the usual stuff: Superman Punches, Suplex City and Spars. The whole match only went a little over 6 minutes but the overall ending was clever; Lesnar dodges what looks like a spear attempt only for Reigns to fly through the to and middle ropes to accidentally crash into Strowman. Lesnar then attacks a downed Strowman by repeatedly hitting him with the MITB briefcase and steel chair shots before delivering an F5, indicating that there won't be a cash in attempt. Prior to all this, Lesnar had tossed Reigns back into the ring so Reigns had had some time to regain his faculties and catches Lesnar with the 4th spear of the night that stuns him enough for Reigns to get the 3 count and become new Universal Champion. I give the overall execution of it 3.25 stars as the way things were laid out helped the overall match succeed. Raw will finally have a main event champion show up regularly and I'm glad as I'm just tired of the Brock Lesnar show.

Overall, I give last night's show an A-. It was far and away better than I was expecting.

Top to bottom I was pleasantly surprised and 100% entertained.

I'm not going to break down every match but they all had something that kept me hooked on the story even after the match

Becky's heel turn, Roman winning thanks to Strowman. What will Strowman do to Reigns afrer what happened? This is how a PPV should be, wrap up storylines while at the same time setting stuff up for the future.

The SD Women's Championship match between Carmella, Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch was, overall, quite fun and much better than I expected. I felt it was a very good 3.5 star bout that saw all three women work hard and gave Carmella her best outing to date. Lots of drama, good storytelling and a title change is what was needed and this match delivered all three. The problem, however, is that WWE has miscast Charlotte and Becky into the wrong roles, something that's becoming quite common on the main roster. Charlotte wins the match and the title, Becky congratulates her, then turns and starts beating the hell out of her. In my opinion, it should've been Becky to win and for Charlotte to turn heel because the fans want to cheer for Becky; when she beat down Charlotte, Becky got one of the biggest pops of the night and Charlotte is far, far better as a heel than as a babyface. It was easier to sympathize with Becky than Charlotte as, from a kayfabe perspective, Becky had her title shot before Charlotte bigfooted her way into the match. Charlotte has essentially become the John Cena of the women's division in that she's almost always on top and this makes her 7th title win, not to say that she isn't great or talented or any of that but Charlotte as a heel just works out, especially if the ultimate plan is for her to meet up with Ronda Rousey at WrestleMania next year.

Yeah but Becky Lynch has become stale as hell as a face. Sure, she's one of the more over women's wrestlers, but that's not saying a lot. She gets mild cheers, but her schtick is just way too generic. My fear with her is they do like to do with so many women's turns in their division. She starts off as a threat but eventually fades away after losing to Charlotte.

I'd really like to her to get a nice run with the belt as a heel. She's a great wrestler and should have a better run at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back