WWE Region, Third Round, Dog Collar Match: (2) Shawn Michaels vs. (7) Bob Backlund

Who Wins This Match?

• Shawn Michaels

• Bob Backlund

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
This is a third round match in the WWE Region. It is a dog collar match. It will be held at Madison Square Garden, New York, New York.

madison_square_garden_150035.jpg

Rules: Both men are attached at the neck by a ten foot chain, anything goes, the winner must pin their opponent, not by touching four corners.

shawnm98.jpg

#2. Shawn Michaels

Vs.

19.jpg

#7. Bob Backlund

This match takes place one week after round 2.

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I think this is one of the better stipulations for Backlund. He would have HBK kinda bottled up not being able to pull off many Rope based attacks. I can see Bob keeping HBK close and putting on a technical clinic. Remember this guy beat Bret Hart in his prime, so I dont think a win here is out of the question.

These matches usually favor the smaller athlete. Yea, the bigger opponent usually wails on the smaller guy for a certain amount of time, but the little guy always uses some type of cunningness to pull it out at the end.

But thats not happening here. Backlund would fold HBK like a pretzel in tight quarters. HBK doesn't have his flying punch & the ten foot rope may negate SCM. I see Backlund with the Chicken Wing knocking Michaels out and getting pinned.

It is, though.

A little video, for your enjoyment. Not the greatest of matches in the world by today's standards, but what can you do?

[YOUTUBE]-fuwC4qc_nQ[/YOUTUBE]

Why show this match? A little background.

1. Patera's really underrated, and was a great heel for his time.
2. Patera was a legitimate Olympic Strongman, as well. And while Backlund plays the plucky babyface for a little while, Backlund more than holds his own in a test of strength against a legitimate strongman, in Ken Patera.

What happens when he gets in the ring with someone who's not even remotely a strong man, by any stretch of the means? Shawn's a great worker, but this is not his match. If we're arguing (and it makes sense, frankly) that Verne goes over Andre because of how well the gimmick match plays into Verne's hand, the same is true for Backlund. He is one of the stronger wrestlers in the history of wrestling, and has the legitimate wrestling ability to control and destroy someone like Shawn Michaels.

Oh, and Bob was a million times the champion that HBK was. Bob was someone that people paid to come see on a regular basis, lest we forget how close WWE was to bankruptcy when Shawn was champ. Bob isn't the greatest business man; the problem is, his era came right after Bruno's, so we see him as less of a draw, and less of a champion. Really, Bob and John Cena have more in common than anyone could imagine. I said at some point, the fact that Shawn wasn't a draw would hurt him. I didn't think it'd come this fast. Then again, I didn't think he'd be in a dog collar match.

Bob takes this one.

Never before in the WZ Tournament has a stipulation provided someone with a miracle. Not like this. This is what Backlund needed to move on.

No one would vote Backlund over HBK in any other match type, outside of a submissions match. HBK destroys him in just about every category... until you tie Michaels up.

Backlund has him close, breaks him down, makes him cry. Nevermind this being the most ridiculous match you could possibly think of. Forget that shit.

Vote Backlund, because he would win.

A grappling match? Backlund. Submission match? Backlund. Iron man match? Even though HBK has won one, I'd give it to Backlund. But this is not a technically-based match, this is a brawling match. Potentially a hardcore match. A falls count anywhere match.

I'd argue Backlund is the more technically proficient wrestler, but he would be out of his element in this type of match up. I could list a few reasons about HBK's matches where he's used weapons to great success, or history of flashy matches but above all else, 10 feet of chain is more than enough space to hit Sweet Chin Music.

Backlund deserves to win, especially since it's being held in Madison Square Garden. But HBK gets it due to the stipulation involved.

This is exactly the type of match where Shawn Michaels would get thrown around the ring like a ragdoll, and he'd sell like a ragdoll because he's an egotistical asshole that's more worried about how he looks than how the industry looks.

Now that we got the ceremonial mocking of HBK out of the way, it should be noted that Bob Backlund would win this match. HBK can't match Backlund's strength, and while I know a lot of you are thinking how cool it would be if HBK yanked Backlund towards him and hit him with some Sweet Chin Music, I'm here to tell you that it wouldn't happen. HBK simply isn't strong enough for it, and after he exhausts himself trying to go toe to toe with Backlund, he'd find himself trapped in the crossface chickenwing, a move that would be more deadly with the use of a chain.

While Shawn is chained up in this one. He would not use his strength: The top rope and high flying abilty. Shawn is tough and can deal with pain. Backlund can break down Shawn with his submissions. Backlund was an amateur and would use his skills in this one.

My vote is Bob Backlund.

Shawn.

A bloody, in his prime Shawn lost to nobody, and in stip matches even more so. There will be Hunter interference here, because lets not NOT kid ourselves, he needs it. If you want I can give the obvious Shawn beat Hart twice in his prime and Hart beat a returning Backlund.

Or a 'Backland is a footnote' statement.

Bob.

A bloody, in his prime Shawn lost to nobody, and in stip matches even more so. There will be Hunter interference here, because lets not NOT kid ourselves, he needs it. If you want I can give the obvious Shawn beat Hart twice in his prime and Hart beat a returning Backlund.

Bob Backlund was WWF champion for 3.6 years, the second longest in (W)WWF/E history. You think he routinely lost in his prime? Shut the fuck up you don't know what you're talking about.

Or a 'Backland is a footnote' statement.

Except that he's not. If anyone in this match is a footnote it's Shawn, the posterboy of a bankrupt WWF. Bob is a better draw than Shawn, A better wrestler than Shawn, a stronger man than Shawn, a better champion than Shawn, more suited to the stipulation than Shawn and at the end of the day would beat Shawn without even breaking a sweat.

Vote Bob Backlund unless you're a colossal idiot.

No thank you.

Bob Backlund was WWF champion for 3.6 years, the second longest in (W)WWF/E history. You think he routinely lost in his prime? Shut the fuck up you don't know what you're talking about.

Where in my post was he lost all the time? That being said, Shawn has a better history in stip matches in his prime.

Except that he's not. If anyone in this match is a footnote it's Shawn, the posterboy of a bankrupt WWF. Bob is a better draw than Shawn, A better wrestler than Shawn, a stronger man than Shawn, a better champion than Shawn, more suited to the stipulation than Shawn and at the end of the day would beat Shawn without even breaking a sweat.

Not a better wrestler for me. I'd take a Shawn match over ANY Backlund match. And are we throwing out the financial state of WWF vs the nWo? I don't see how he is better suited in a stip match. Why because this is an old school stip? Not a good enough reason. Has Shawn been in brutal matches? Has he still come out on top?

Vote Bob Backlund, you're a colossal idiot.

Why look at that...

Where in my post was he lost all the time? That being said, Shawn has a better history in stip matches in his prime.

My point being that saying "a bloody, in his prime, Shawn lost to nobody" is hardly a good argument against someone who held the WWF title for over three and a half years. The stipulation here only hurts Shawn Michaels as it takes away his unorthodox offence, forcing him to play Backlund's game. A game Shawn couldn't win without divine intervention. Shame Shawn in his prime was a godless heathen.

Not a better wrestler for me. I'd take a Shawn match over ANY Backlund match.

You think Randy Orton should go over Ric Flair. Your opinion is worthless.

And are we throwing out the financial state of WWF vs the nWo?

No, I'm throwing out that Shawn couldn't draw a paying crowd in his home town and led the WWE to its least profitable period in its history. Because he was a shitty draw. Unlike Backlund.

I don't see how he is better suited in a stip match. Why because this is an old school stip?

Nope, because it prevents Shawn from doing anything but playing Backlund's game. Shawn goes to the top he'll get yanked down by the stronger Backlund. He tries to use his speed, he gets pulled in by the stronger Backlund. He tries to wrestle Backlund, he gets his ass handed to him by the superior technician. Shawn loses because he's got nothing against Backlund in this match.

Not a good enough reason. Has Shawn been in brutal matches? Has he still come out on top?

Has he been in a match against someone better than him where his only advantages are nulified?

Why look at that...

Again, you're arguing for Randy Orton to beat Ric Flair. You have proven yourself a colossal idiot by your actions.

My point being that saying "a bloody, in his prime, Shawn lost to nobody" is hardly a good argument against someone who held the WWF title for over three and a half years. The stipulation here only hurts Shawn Michaels as it takes away his unorthodox offence, forcing him to play Backlund's game. A game Shawn couldn't win without divine intervention. Shame Shawn in his prime was a godless heathen.

Dear Remix, the chain won't be the ones you lock your bi-cycle with. I'm saying the match still plays by Shawn because he can brawl and go closed-fist with the grappler.

Also, you think Backlund is in control, here comes the chickenwing...Bam! Sweet Chin Music! You see if Shawn is groggy and his opponent approaches him, the Sweet Chin Music then becomes a stealth finisher like the RKO and...

You think Randy Orton should go over Ric Flair. Your opinion is worthless.

...oh should I stop?

Nah, I'm just gushing that you checked who I was voting for.

No, I'm throwing out that Shawn couldn't draw a paying crowd in his home town and led the WWE to its least profitable period in its history. Because he was a shitty draw. Unlike Backlund.

(Sigh) So its all Shawn's fault again? A lack of exciting midcards, nWo? Well it is. He should've given them BFF pendants and made them stay!

The competition had a hot new angle and kinda big faces.

Nope, because it prevents Shawn from doing anything but playing Backlund's game. Shawn goes to the top he'll get yanked down by the stronger Backlund. He tries to use his speed, he gets pulled in by the stronger Backlund. He tries to wrestle Backlund, he gets his ass handed to him by the superior technician. Shawn loses because he's got nothing against Backlund in this match.

When can't shoot, boot. Go bar room style. I'm sure we've seen Micheals do this right, and we have.

Has he been in a match against someone better than him where his only advantages are nulified?

Hell in a Cell- Taker NEXT!

Again, you're arguing for Randy Orton to beat Ric Flair. You have proven yourself a colossal idiot by your actions.

Still gushing.

When was Shawn Michaels in his prime physically? In the 90s when he was a heel? If so, I don't see how he could lose this match. Yes, a dog collar match takes away a lot of HBK's aerial offense...but, it gives him something in return. It gives him a tether with which he can choke Backlund. HBK is more likely to use the chain in a heelish way than Backlund would, which makes up for the loss of high flying stuff. Dog collar matches provide a natural advantage to heels, because they can cheat freely. HBK in his prime was a heel, who would cheat like hell. Steel chain that can be wrapped around fists like a set of brass knuckles + the ability to choke out your opponent = HBK win. Dog Collar matches are brutal, not technical masterpieces. Backlund would be out of his element too. Two wrestlers out of their element, the advantage goes to the one willing to more easily adapt. That's HBK.

Dear Remix, the chain won't be the ones you lock your bi-cycle with. I'm saying the match still plays by Shawn because he can brawl and go closed-fist with the grappler.

And so can Backlund. See how this works?

Also, you think Backlund is in control, here comes the chickenwing...Bam! Sweet Chin Music! You see if Shawn is groggy and his opponent approaches him, the Sweet Chin Music then becomes a stealth finisher like the RKO and...

Have you ever seen a crossface chicken wing Paperghost? It would be a physically impossible feat for him to deliver it from there. And if Shawn's groggy a yank of the chain to take him to the ground would be the perfect setup to the chickenwing.

Nah, I'm just gushing that you checked who I was voting for.

No, I read your post where you basically said WAHH WAHH WAHH Randy would win because HE CAN SWING A CHAIR!!! And that's more important in a physically demainding match than stamina! Bawww.

(Sigh) So its all Shawn's fault again? A lack of exciting midcards, nWo? Well it is. He should've given them BFF pendants and made them stay!

And he couldn't draw a crowd in his home town because?

He's a shit draw. No ands ifs or buts.

When can't shoot, boot. Go bar room style. I'm sure we've seen Micheals do this right, and we have.

So you're saying he should get up close to a stronger man who can outwrestle him? That would be a bad tactic. Backlund would take him down, lock him up and make Shawn look like the whiny bitch that he is that rose to the top by sucking the right dicks and badmouthing the right people.

Hell in a Cell- Taker NEXT!

You mean the match he only won because Kane chokeslammed 'Taker, his arsenal was unrestricted and wasn't facing someone who could outwrestle him every day of the week and twice on Sundays? Yeah, that's a totally sensible argument to make.

Still gushing.

You're a dumbass. Shut the hall up and stop posting.

When was Shawn Michaels in his prime physically? In the 90s when he was a heel? If so, I don't see how he could lose this match.

Via submission. You see, Bob Backlund was rather good at beating heels. He defended the WWF title for over 3 years with most of his opponents being heels.

Yes, a dog collar match takes away a lot of HBK's aerial offense...but, it gives him something in return. It gives him a tether with which he can choke Backlund.

It also gives Backlund a teather with which to tie up Shawn and make his submissions all the more effective. The weapon helps them both. It just takes away more from Shawn than it gives him and gives Backlund more than it takes away.

HBK is more likely to use the chain in a heelish way than Backlund would, which makes up for the loss of high flying stuff.

Bob doesn't need to cheat to beat HBK like a marine in a bar.

Dog collar matches provide a natural advantage to heels, because they can cheat freely. HBK in his prime was a heel, who would cheat like hell. Steel chain that can be wrapped around fists like a set of brass knuckles + the ability to choke out your opponent = HBK win.

And Bob Backlund beat many dirty cheating faces who seemed to hold all the cards in Madison Square Garden. Just like he would in this match.

Dog Collar matches are brutal, not technical masterpieces. Backlund would be out of his element too. Two wrestlers out of their element, the advantage goes to the one willing to more easily adapt. That's HBK.

Bob doesn't really need to adapt though. The chain around his neck doesn't prevent him from taking Shawn to the mat and out wrestling him. In fact, it takes away Shawn's ability to cheat using the chain. If Backlund takes the match to the ground, the chain becomes a weapon in another way. He can use it to make his holds more painful and harder to escape. If this fight goes to the ground, and it would only one man's coming out victorious. And that man would be Bob Backlund.

It would be a hard match, but in the WWF, the face always comes up victorious when it really matters. And at MSG in a tournament to prove the greatest wrestler who ever lived, it matters. Bob would overcome the odds and advance.

And so can Backlund. See how this works?

Have you ever seen a crossface chicken wing Paperghost? It would be a physically impossible feat for him to deliver it from there. And if Shawn's groggy a yank of the chain to take him to the ground would be the perfect setup to the chickenwing.

No, I read your post where you basically said WAHH WAHH WAHH Randy would win because HE CAN SWING A CHAIR!!! And that's more important in a physically demainding match than stamina! Bawww.

And he couldn't draw a crowd in his home town because?

He's a shit draw. No ands ifs or buts.

So you're saying he should get up close to a stronger man who can outwrestle him? That would be a bad tactic. Backlund would take him down, lock him up and make Shawn look like the whiny bitch that he is that rose to the top by sucking the right dicks and badmouthing the right people.

You mean the match he only won because Kane chokeslammed 'Taker, his arsenal was unrestricted and wasn't facing someone who could outwrestle him every day of the week and twice on Sundays? Yeah, that's a totally sensible argument to make.

You're a dumbass. Shut the hall up and stop posting.

So this sounds like spite from another thread.

I'll roll over this and say, the chain would be an advantage to Shawn. A heel like Shawn would start bludgeoning this All-American Dough Boy. Left, right and centre. He would soften him up. Shawn has brawled with bigger and stronger men than Backlund.

Backlund gets some offense, pulls Shawn in...KICK!...1-2-3.

Its hard to say, on paper it looks like Backlund has this in the bag but I don't think that's the case at all.

People saying Backlund would win because of his technical wrestling and submission haven't seen too many dog collar matches as that's not what they are about, they are about brutality and who would adapt to the stipulation at hand better, I think Shawn would adapt better in a dog collar match. Shawn has proven he can be brutal and I think he would use the chain itself more effectively in the match than Bob.

Overall I think HBK would take this one. He would use the elements of the match more effectively.

So this sounds like spite from another thread.

Nah, it's just easy and truthful to call and prove you to be a dumbass.

I'll roll over this and say, the chain would be an advantage to Shawn. A heel like Shawn would start bludgeoning this All-American Dough Boy. Left, right and centre. He would soften him up. Shawn has brawled with bigger and stronger men than Backlund.

And Bob Backlund has beaten bigger and better men than Shawn Michaels. Face facts Paperghost. This match is in the home stadium of the WWF, where Bob Backlund was champion for over three years. In both men's primes Shawn would be the punk heel that Backlund puts down definitively.

Backlund gets some offense, pulls Shawn in...KICK!...1-2-3.

More like Shawn goes for the kick, Backlund pulls on the chain sending him off balance and allowing the technical annihilation to begin. Standing on one leg is seldom a good idea when someone's got a chain around your neck.

Its hard to say, on paper it looks like Backlund has this in the bag but I don't think that's the case at all.

People saying Backlund would win because of his technical wrestling and submission haven't seen too many dog collar matches as that's not what they are about, they are about brutality and who would adapt to the stipulation at hand better, I think Shawn would adapt better in a dog collar match. Shawn has proven he can be brutal and I think he would use the chain itself more effectively in the match than Bob.

Overall I think HBK would take this one. He would use the elements of the match more effectively.

Bob Backlund went from having no gimmick other than "good wrestler" for decades to "crazy man". He's plenty adaptable, and beating an inferior wrestler in a match that takes the inferior guys few advantages off the table is no ptoblem for him. Bob can Bet violent. Bob can get brutal and he has all the tools he needs to beat Shawn Michaels.

Shawn has proven time and time again to be the master of the gimmick match and able to adapt to any enviroment. This idea that Backlund could wrestle rings around him is delusion, Angle wasn't able to.
I think in what would be a great match, the dog collar actually works against Backlund. Any attempt to lock in the cross-face would be met by having it wrapped around his neck.

Bob Backlund went from having no gimmick other than "good wrestler" for decades to "crazy man". He's plenty adaptable, and beating an inferior wrestler in a match that takes the inferior guys few advantages off the table is no ptoblem for him. Bob can Bet violent. Bob can get brutal and he has all the tools he needs to beat Shawn Michaels.

I would say Shawn is just as adaptable, maybe even more adaptable than Bob is. Also Shawn is grossly underrated for his technical wrestling skills, see his match at WM21 against Kurt Angle if you need proof.

I'm not saying Bob isn't adaptable, I just don't think he's as adaptable as Shawn, I've never seen Shawn NOT adapt to a situation ever. That guy could make the Kennel from Hell match entertaining.

Shawn has proven time and time again to be the master of the gimmick match and able to adapt to any enviroment. This idea that Backlund could wrestle rings around him is delusion, Angle wasn't able to.
I think in what would be a great match, the dog collar actually works against Backlund. Any attempt to lock in the cross-face would be met by having it wrapped around his neck.

The master of what gimmick match? The ladder match? He lost the very first one and his rematch with Razor Ramon is the only one he's ever won to my knowledge. Sure isn't Hell in a Cell or Elimination Chamber matches. Shawn is more of a gimmick match loser if anything else.

I would say Shawn is just as adaptable, maybe even more adaptable than Bob is. Also Shawn is grossly underrated for his technical wrestling skills, see his match at WM21 against Kurt Angle if you need proof.

I'm not saying Bob isn't adaptable, I just don't think he's as adaptable as Shawn, I've never seen Shawn NOT adapt to a situation ever. That guy could make the Kennel from Hell match entertaining.

What happened in that match with Kurt Angle? Got caught in the ankle lock and tapped out. It isn't that hard to adapt to a dog collar match and Backlund's better suited to just having 10 feet of space as HBK is.

Angle holds back a lot. He gets outgrappled by the likes of Jeff Jarrett, for example. If he wanted to he could outgrapple the shit of him, but that wouldn't make for an entertaining match. Backlund wouldn't do that though. He's facing a punk heel in MSG. He's not going to hold back anything and he's going to win because of it.

Again, Angle holds back in he ring. And being entertaining isn't going to help when he's the punk heel facing the top babyface in MSG.

What happened in that match with Kurt Angle? Got caught in the ankle lock and tapped out. It isn't that hard to adapt to a dog collar match and Backlund's better suited to just having 10 feet of space as HBK is.

Everyone got caught in Kurt Angles ankle lock, who didn't tap out to Angle. Hell, even Taker tapped to Angle, even HOGAN tapped to Angle, EVERYONE TAPS TO ANGLE.

I would say during the match Shawn hung in there with Angle when it came down to chain and mat wrestling very well. Bob gets Shawn in the crossface chicken wing Shawn takes the chain, wraps it around his fist and hits Backlund, yeah real hard to get out of that one in a Dog Collar match.

All it takes is one Sweet Chin Music and this match is over, surely Shawn could get one of those off with no issue.

Its also in the WWE region, who do you think Vince would book to win this match?

I agree that HBK would win, but I don't think this is a valid argument. Both Shawn Michaels and Bob Backlund are on their home turf here, Backlund is just as much a WWE wrestler as HBK is.

I agree that HBK would win, but I don't think this is a valid argument. Both Shawn Michaels and Bob Backlund are on their home turf here, Backlund is just as much a WWE wrestler as HBK is.

You gotta remember though Bob was Vince Sr's champion not Vince Jr's. Vince Jr is much more about the entertainment then he is about the wrestling. Shawn had more charisma and more character than Bob, he was also much more entertaining to watch in the ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back