WWE Region, San Diego Subregion, First Round: (16) Jake Roberts vs. (17)Scott Steiner

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Jake Roberts

• Scott Steiner

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, San Diego Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the San Diego Arena in San Diego, California.

news_arena280.jpg

file_187255_7_jake-the-snake-roberts.jpg

#16. Jake Roberts

Vs.

28.jpg

#17. Scott Steiner

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Steiner wins here. Jake Roberts was a tremendous talker and ring psychologist but he didn't really win many big matches. Steiner's biggest success came as a bleach blonde, roided out, crazy motherfucker, but even before that he was a great talent. He took Flair to a time limit draw and was able to beat Ricky Steamboat for the TV title back when he was still mainly a tag team guy. It would be a great match but Steiner comes out on top.

People always talked about Jake The Snake's pythons, well let me tell you something. Jake had a cool snake, but look at these pythons!

scott+steiner+arms.jpg

Wow that's sexy, he's a genetic freak. If Jake's snake had to compete Steiner's biceps, the snake would probably win, because biceps can't wrestle. But alas, Jake's snakes can't help Jake in this match. So Scott Steiner wins this one.

To me this could go either way. On one hand you have the ramblings of drunk/high Jake that produced some of the greatest promos ever. And Steiner is just fucking crazy, and has produced some of the greatest promos ever.

In one corner we have...

[youtube]9clRpVbYZw8[/youtube]

and in the other corner we have...

[youtube]WFoC3TR5rzI[/youtube]

Tough decision...

If only this was a triple threat with the Iron Sheik... and maybe New Jack or Honky Tonk Man. Jim Cornette on commentary...

Really though Steiner should win. Multiple time world champion who has remained relevant for both his wrestling skills and for being a general nutcase. Most of Jake's prime was spent as a mid or upper midcarder. Steiner has been a main eventer, and he's one of the most decorated individuals ever.

Steiner moves on.

For some reason, people assume that Scott Steiner had a much better career than he actually did in WCW. You think 'he must have been a multiple time world champion'. He wasn't. You think 'he must have won the title in the 90s hey day'. He didn't. The truth is Scott Steiner won the WCW title in 2000, after David Arquette. After Vince Russo. He was literally their champion as they went out of business.

Steiner looks ridiculous and was a fantastic tag team wrestler, but I honestly don't believe that he will leave the impact on the business that Jake did. The finishing move isn't his invention, but it being such a crowd pleaser is. Before the DDT, people were happy to see their favourites win. The DDT became a star on its own. Roberts' way of delivering promos took wrestling away from massive people shouting at a camera and into something more nuanced. Bockwinkel may have done this first, but he was never swimming against the tide of WWF style beasts.

Roberts is more significant, and in my mind would win this match between two men who lost the biggest matches in their careers.

Jake Roberts is a man who came along too early. Imagine what he could have accomplished in the Attitude Era with a character so twisted and evil. There could have been some incredible, violent gimmick matches based around Jake's mind games!

However, in a straight wrestling match against a Scott Steiner, who probably pulls his steroid needle out of his ass the second before he walks through the curtain, I don't see Jake winning. Scotty is too big, too strong and too pissed off at everyone on earth to fall for any of Jake's mind games, and when he gets hold of Roberts, he will out wrestle him, suplex the shit out of him and make him tap to the Recliner

Winner- Scott Steiner

So Jake has a snake in a bag, huh? Well Scott decided he is going to beat Jake with the snake, use it to choke him & then do some push-ups for fun.

Seriously Jake was pretty good, but Steiner is just crazy & strong as hell. All the promo skill in the world isnt getting Jake over this one. A DDT isnt taking Scott down for a 3 count, but a Screwdriver from Steiner will put Roberts out. Tough draw for Jake here, but Steiner moves on.

I think Steiner has this one. Jake had many tricks up his sleeve but Scott Steiner in his day was a lot stronger, faster, and found a way to win more often then Jake did. I do see Jake putting up a great fight, slowing down the match to a brawl to suit him and maybe even dominating for portions of the contest. In the end though I would bet Steiner goes on hot streak with few big moves and finishing up with Steiner Recliner for the W.

I'm just going to go ahead and say it; Scott Steiner got the WCW World Title, because WCW was on it's death bed. They had no one else, save for Goldberg, and they had that awful attempt to retry the streak. WCW had nothing going for it, and Steiner was there. Boom. World Champion. If it isn't for those reigns, Scott Steiner probably isn't even in this tournament.

The Scott Steiner you're getting is probably closer in resemblance to the 2002-2003 version. Same promos, same work style, exact same character.

Do me a favor, and go back and watch some old WWE, circa 2003.

Actually, don't. You'll thank me.

Vote Jake Roberts here. It's that simple.

I know belts aren't the be all, end all... but Jake Roberts never won anything in the big promotions... nothing! Steiner held every belt in WCW worth holding.

Discredit Steiner's World Title reign all you want but Roberts is exactly the type of guy that would put him over here (see a certain Steve Austin).

I can't see this ending with anything but a Jake Roberts DDT or two. Steiner may have beaten Booker T for the WCW Title, but it was a company at the end of the line, and Steiner lost the title back to Booker. Booker's numbers were inflated as he won most of hi championships when WCW was long out of its hey day, and he won 5. Steiner won only 1.

In his brightest hour, Roberts was responsible for getting the DDT over, and as a finishing move. Perhaps the most well-known-and overused- move in wrestling history got over because of Jake Roberts, and it would be enough for him here. Roberts use of psychology would prove too much for Steiner to handle, a man who got by mostly on power moves and a submission hold.

If Roberts avoids the Recliner, he hits the DDT and wins. I think he would. Roberts moves on here.

In Steiner's defense. He went the distance with Flair in the late 80's if I am not mistaken. I was a kid, and I thought Scott might have gotten the victory until the Horseman interfered. I believe that was at a Clash of the Champions. Steiner was no slouch and he accomplished a lot long before WCW was on his deathbed. That being said, Jake was just way to cold and calculating to let this match slip by. Jake's experience would carry him in this. He would easily outsmart Steiner and hit the DDT for the victory.

I voted for Steiner, because Robert's mind games wouldn't work on Steiner. I'm convinced that Steiner has no mind. Just listen to these.

[YOUTUBE]JQ2ouQy6tvw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]CkzjX_GA8Qg[/YOUTUBE]

Steiner wins after he botches a Frankensteiner and spikes Roberts on his head, killing him.

Jake Roberts' prime had him feuding with the likes of Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, and Ted Dibiase. Not to mention a brief feud with Sting in his short run in WCW.

Scott Steiner's prime is either when he was in dominant tag team with his brother and was athletic as all hell, or when he was the main event as WCW was going out of business and he didn't even keep the belt at the end, he lost it to Booker T.

Jake wins this when his pet Cobra escapes, bites Steiner, and kills him. Jake goes for the quick pin before realizing that the cobra wasn't devenomized nor defanged and then runs like a mad man out of the arena.

Jake Roberts has one thing over Scott Steiner - and that's talking on a microphone.

Besides that one small fact, Scott trumps him in everything else. Better inside the ring? Check. More accomplishments? Check. More big wins? Check. Tougher? Check. Stronger? Check. Quicker? Check. Technical advantage? Check.

So, because Jake Roberts can talk on a microphone, that means he should go over Scott Steiner, one of the greatest tag team wrestlers ever and someone who had a very memorable and long time run as a singles Superstar? I don't think so.

Jake Roberts prime only lasted a few years, and throughout that time he won zero important championships, and had zero classic matches. The only thing you remember about him are his interviews, the fact that he had a pet snake, and the DDT. That's it.

As soon as Jake would go for that DDT, Scott would Northern Lights Suplex him into next week and then continue to throw him around the ring until Jake was out for good. Very easy win for Scott Steiner.

When I think of Scott Steiner I prefer to think of a pre Big Poppa Pump Scott Steiner. His transformation from the All American wrestler to Freakzilla was a shocking one and it did work for him but I think Steiner was at his best pre 1998. He was an accomplished wrestler and a winner. I love Jake Roberts as much as anyone but for the most part he was a loser. Great on the mic and in the ring but he just didn't get his hand raised very often. A tough decision but I vote Steiner.

Jake Roberts' prime had him feuding with the likes of Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, and Ted Dibiase. Not to mention a brief feud with Sting in his short run in WCW.

So he wins because he feuded with some big names? He never beat Savage. His only win over Steamboat came by DQ (Steamboat pinned Roberts multiple times), and he lost his one singles match against Sting. Outside of Dibiase he never really beat any big names. Steiner has defeated Sting. He has defeated Ricky Steamboat by pinfall. He is one of few people to have defeated Goldberg. His list of victories is a lot more impressive then Roberts. That coupled with the fact that outside of mic work Steiner was better then Roberts in every way imaginable, and this should be an easy choice. Steiner wins.

Jake is a great talker and had awesome ring psychology, but I can't see him going over Steiner. Yes, Steiner wrestled extensively in tag teams to start, but the man is a legit amateur badass. His suplexes were mean, and he's one of the few big men that consistently used a frankensteiner.

Steiner recliner or not, Scott beats Jake, as he's a crazy genetic freak. Jake's mind games wouldn't be as effective, and as previously mentioned, Jake often did the job when the lights were on bright(Taker, Austin).

Big Poppa Pump to round 2

Yeah, I mean this pains me because I adore Jake Roberts and gtfo anyone discrediting his ring skills. His psychology in matches will always be near the best I've ever seen, his moves were crisp and his selling was always excellent. I love me some Jake, but I don't vote for my favourites.

Steiners ok. I agree with everyone else discrediting his WCW titles, it WAS during a weak point. Unfortunately, it's still more than Jake ever accomplished. Scaring Andre was probably his kayfabe peak. Being involved in big storylines Vs Warrior/Savage/DiBiase/undertaker sure, but did he ever win a feud vs a top level wrestler? I guess he dominated house shows vs DiBiase, but did the job at Wrestlemania so that doesn't really count.

As much as I love Jake, I don't think he deserves to be in the tournament on kayfabe accomplishments. Steiner probably just about does, but that's generous. It's enough to give him the win for me, but I'm just happy for either of them to go out tbh. Hogan's path couldnt be easier until the gimmick rounds, he's got the nicest draw in the competition for second round.

I like this matchup. Jake The Snake could say deep intelligent things that made you think. Steiner rambled and made you think cause you weren't sure what the hell he was saying at times. I like this match but i'm going with the more physically powerful Scott Steiner. I'd expect a good match, however I think the strength of Steiner would be too much for Roberts to overcome. I think Roberts taps out to the Steiner Recliner. Holla! If Ya Hear Me!

There are not enough DDP Yoga sessions in the world to get Jake the win here. Jake was a great talker, maybe the best talker. That is sadly it. Steiner is a better wrestler. He is significantly stronger, faster, and more athletic. He is also vastly more accomplished.

Steiner should win in a quick one, and Jake will go directly back to the bottle.

(Damn shame, way bigger fan of Jake.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back