WWE Region, Lexington Region, Second Round: (3) John Cena vs. (14) Rikidozan

Who Wins This Match?

• John Cena

• Rikidozan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
This is a second round match in the WWE Region, Lexington Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Rupp Arena, Lexington.

An-extravagant-start-for-Kentucky-hoops-QHFOPA5-x-large.jpg

john%2Bcena%2Bthe%2Bwwe%2Bchampion%2Bimage.jpg

#3. John Cena

Vs.

01.jpg

#14. Rikidozan

This match takes place 1 week after round 1.

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Sorry but John is currently the face of the biggest wrestling organization in the world and that is hard to top. I don't see him jobbing this early.

John Cena to advance.

Cena wins for me, undoubtedly.

Cena is a 12 time world champ. Cena has done a hole lot in his tenure in WWE. I can't say I know much about Rikidozan, but I have watched every bit of Cena's rise to the top of the Wrestling Industry, so I am going with him in this match-up.

I love John Cena, but I have to go with Rikidozan here. John Cena has done a lot in his career, but Rikidozan is the reason why puro is so popular today. Rikidozan started the first wrestling company in Japan and trained both Antonio Inoki and Giant Baba. Rikidozan is also one of the biggest draws both inside the ring and outside the ring. His match against Lou Thesz drew a 87.0 rating and his match against The Destroyer drew a 67.0 rating, but drew a larger audience. In comparison last weeks Raw drew a 3.0. That's roughly 3% of what Rikidozan was able to draw. Also, Rikidozan was so popular in the Japanese culture that he stared in 29 films and in 2004 a movie came out based on his life. Rikidozan is also no slouch in the ring either. The man defeated Lou Thesz multiple times and defeated him for the NWA International Heavyweight title which he then held onto for 5 years until he died. So, yeah I'll be voting for Rikidozan here.

Rikodozan may be one of the most influential wrestlers ever and he is a fucking legend but the one HUGE thing that is in Cena's favor is the fact that this is the WWE Region. Do you really think WWE would book their top face to lose to a wrestler who's most famous not only in other promotions but outside of North America? Cena would win but it would be after a great match.

Rikidozan was and still is a national icon. He transcended his sport. He popularized pro wrestling in Japan when the country was in dire need of some kind of upliftment. His impact on Japanese history is unquestionably massive. So I have read.

However, this is WWE, it's John Cena. I'm begging for someone to make a Rock-Rikidozan comparison (how they are the biggest name) to try, TRY and tip some weight in Riki's corner.

John Cena is the Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold of his generation of wrestlers, i've never heard of Rikidozan, even though he's been jobbing lately, i can't see Cena losing here. Cena wins

Rikidozan is a pioneer and a founding father. That doesn't make him better than anyone, it merely means he invented something. You don't necessarily become a master of your craft by simply inventing it. John Cena IS a master of his craft. He's had classic matches, classic rivalries and had classic moments. He has reached the pinnacle of professional wrestling in front of a worldwide audience. He main evented the biggest selling WrestleMania of all time in a dream match. Rikidozan should be celebrated as he is, a pioneer who laid the foundations of what was to come. John Cena however, especially in the WWE territory puts Rikidozan down for the count.

No way John Cena loses in a WWE ring to an outsider. John Cena wins this one but will soon face other WWE greats.

Rikodozan may be one of the most influential wrestlers ever and he is a fucking legend but the one HUGE thing that is in Cena's favor is the fact that this is the WWE Region. Do you really think WWE would book their top face to lose to a wrestler who's most famous not only in other promotions but outside of North America? Cena would win but it would be after a great match.

Do you watch wrestling much, that exact thing happened like 2 weeks ago.

I wouldn't have said something if this post didn't reek of condescension. But you're wrong in the point you're trying to make. WWE brought in Rock, who's just as big a star under the WWE umbrella as Cena is, and had him win, because he is that big of a star. Now, if WWE brought in Sting, and had him beat Cena at Wrestlemania this year, then you could have pointed out the guy you're quoting is wrong.

And, I suppose if you really think WWE would have that happen, you can go ahead and vote Rikidozan. But that would be foolish

I wouldn't have said something if this post didn't reek of condescension. But you're wrong in the point you're trying to make. WWE brought in Rock, who's just as big a star under the WWE umbrella as Cena is, and had him win, because he is that big of a star. Now, if WWE brought in Sting, and had him beat Cena at Wrestlemania this year, then you could have pointed out the guy you're quoting is wrong.

And, I suppose if you really think WWE would have that happen, you can go ahead and vote Rikidozan. But that would be foolish

I think he meant Lord Tensai who dominated in Japan and then beat the WWE's top star in John Cena. However, that happened with an assist from David Otunga, with John Laurinitis lurking, and with Tensai utilizing green mist. Somehow I think that one match like that isn't enough to convince anyone that Rikidozan should beat John Cena.

This is the WWE region and you are pitting WWE's biggest star ever (yes, WWE, not WWF) against a Japanese legend. That's fine and good that he was huge for Japanese wrestling and started it and whatnot, but this isn't the promotion he started. This is Cena territory so arguments of accomplishment are moot anyway. Cena goes over in this one for sure.

I think he meant Lord Tensai who dominated in Japan and then beat the WWE's top star in John Cena. However, that happened with an assist from David Otunga, with John Laurinitis lurking, and with Tensai utilizing green mist. Somehow I think that one match like that isn't enough to convince anyone that Rikidozan should beat John Cena.

This is the WWE region and you are pitting WWE's biggest star ever (yes, WWE, not WWF) against a Japanese legend. That's fine and good that he was huge for Japanese wrestling and started it and whatnot, but this isn't the promotion he started. This is Cena territory so arguments of accomplishment are moot anyway. Cena goes over in this one for sure.

Even then, it wasn't like we all think Lord Tensai is some outsider guy, who comes from another promotion. It's been hinted that he dominated in another promotion, but we all know he's a guy who's under WWE contract, hired over to work for Vince and the crew. Even if he is talking about Tensai, which I dount, pretty sure he meant Rock, it isn't as though this is some guy outside of the WWE's umbrella; it's still a WWE umbrella.

So no, he gets no pass. And he's still right stupid.

Rikidozan is a more important and influential wrestler than John Cena, and was way more popular, and ordinarily I'd be voting for him. However, the way these things usually work is when a megastar face from another country comes, they tear down the house with the incumbent big cheese and then the local guy wins. Then they reverse locations and results a few weeks later. In this capacity, Cena would beat Rikidozan, so I think you've got to give this one to him.

Yes i was talking about Lord Tensai, I know he didnt win clean and he is now under WWE contract. RED said that the WWE would never book their top baby face to lose to a person who is mostly famous in another country. No one said anything about him having to win cleanly and even though Bloom spent sometime in the WWE as Albert. its safe to assume that he is more famous for his Japan work.

So in fact the WWE booked their top babyface to lose to a wrestler who is mostly famous for work in another promotion. How is that hard to understand.

Why the hell would i be talking about the Rock, last i checked he was from the WWE and hugely famous in america.

I myself dont think that Cena would lose this match up but to say he wouldnt lose because the WWE would never book it that way is an errant thought.

I love John Cena, but I have to go with Rikidozan here. John Cena has done a lot in his career, but Rikidozan is the reason why puro is so popular today. Rikidozan started the first wrestling company in Japan and trained both Antonio Inoki and Giant Baba. Rikidozan is also one of the biggest draws both inside the ring and outside the ring. His match against Lou Thesz drew a 87.0 rating and his match against The Destroyer drew a 67.0 rating, but drew a larger audience. In comparison last weeks Raw drew a 3.0. That's roughly 3% of what Rikidozan was able to draw. Also, Rikidozan was so popular in the Japanese culture that he stared in 29 films and in 2004 a movie came out based on his life. Rikidozan is also no slouch in the ring either. The man defeated Lou Thesz multiple times and defeated him for the NWA International Heavyweight title which he then held onto for 5 years until he died. So, yeah I'll be voting for Rikidozan here.

Rikidozan has been dead for nearly 50 years. It's not fair to compare tv ratings. What were there like three channels when that rating came in?

Anyway, I'm going with Cena. I don't have much to add that others haven't already stated. This match is in the US where Cena will be pushed as the face over the visiting heel. If this was in Japan I would quite possibly vote the other way. Cena is the bigger star in the US and he's made a name for himself outside wrestling too. Cena moves on.

Well, let's see know, kayfabe-wise one of the best and most routine ways Riki made his name was by beating the best American wrestlers of the day. John Cena is arguably the best the US currently has to offer.

Then again, some have gone the booker/backstage route and said WWE wouldn't book Cena to lose. And I can understand that …except they do. Even supercena deals with a bout of kyrptonite from time to time. Riki has nothing to gain coming to the States to job out. You may claim WWE wouldn't book a Cena loss and I'll say Riki wouldn't agree to a national disgrace. He's a cultural icon, national hero—despite his Korean origin—and quite wealthy. He simply has no reason to take the match to lose. And what threat would a built-up legendary foreigner be if he lost out the gate? Sure the eventual rubber match would perhaps be in John's favor but whatever. This is match one? Then Riki takes it.

Last but not least, Riki's influence and affect on the business far surpasses John's.

Quick question: is WWE booking the match, or is the tournament being held by a company who booked this match in front of a WWE audience? I mean like cross-promotion of some sorts. I find it very hard to believe that Cena will go over just because it's in WWE territory. I thought wrestlers competed in these territories sans backstage politics. :shrug:

Probably the wrong place to ask this, but it's something that I feel people should think about before throwing away their vote just because it's WWE. Disregard this post if I missed a memo addressing my dilemma.

Except for the fact that Rock made his name in the WWE, as a wrestler. He wasn't some outsider coming into an unfamilar promotion and beating Cena, this is where Rock made his name. In comparison, this would be a guy of Cena's size coming into WWE as a villian, because Rikiodzan always played the heel when he wrestled in the states.

Folks, this is exactly the type of match that John Cena wins. A heel coming into Cena's region and going over him? Exactly how many heels have gone over Cena clean in his prime? I'm waiting......and I'm thinking....and I've got nothing. The closest thing to it would be CM Punk, and he wasn't really a heel by the point the two faced off.

So a heel coming into John Cena territory? This is exactly the type of match Cena always wins. And here would be no different.

Yes i was talking about Lord Tensai, I know he didnt win clean and he is now under WWE contract. RED said that the WWE would never book their top baby face to lose to a person who is mostly famous in another country. No one said anything about him having to win cleanly and even though Bloom spent sometime in the WWE as Albert. its safe to assume that he is more famous for his Japan work.

Well, technically he did win clean, but the point you're leaving out is that this isn't an Extreme Rules match. It's a one on one competition. Had David Otunga entered the ring or Tensai sprayed mist into Cena's face in a normal single's match, he would have been DQ'd. So while Rikidozan wouldn't have to win cleanly here, it's not as if he could get by with outside interference or mist or any other foreign substance Rikidozan may employ here. Because it's not an Extreme Rules match, it's a single's match.

So in fact the WWE booked their top babyface to lose to a wrestler who is mostly famous for work in another promotion. How is that hard to understand.

They did it with lots of interference and the fact that it was an Extreme Rules match. In that case, Cena had an out. There's no out here for Cena, and this is exactly the type of match Cena would win. A heel coming into Cena's territory in a normal single's match? This is exactly the type of match people complain Cena doesn't lose enough. You can't have it both ways here. Either Cena is the top guy who never loses within the context of the WWE, or he's just some guy who was beaten by Lord Tensai two weeks ago.

I myself dont think that Cena would lose this match up but to say he wouldnt lose because the WWE would never book it that way is an errant thought.

But WWE doesn't book Cena to lose these matches much. Rikidozan always played the heel when he came into the States, so that's likely the role he'ld be playing here. And he's exactly the wrestler that Cena would lose to in a one-on-one match. Because Cena rarely loses a match under those circumstances. Seeing how this is a pretty big match, that's all the more reason Cena goes over here.

Folks, this is exactly the type of match Cena wins. Rikidozan was a great competitor with a ton of credibility, with wins over Lou Thesz to his name. He was a national hero who made his living in Japan by beating one visiting American after another.

But he'ld be coming into the US, and more specifically, the WWE region, as a heel. Even his wins over Thesz were in Japan. But this is the WWE region, going against their top face, in a one-on-one single's contest. This is exactly the type of match Cena wins 9 times out of 10, and here would be no different. No way Rikidozan comes in, as a heel, and beats Cena the face.

How does Riki have 17% of the vote? All the respect in the world to him, but he doesn't deserve this much vote share when going up against the face of professional wrestling. I'm curious to know how many of those voting for Riki knew about him before this tournament began. Other than LigerBomb, nobody has come out in support of why they voted for Riki.

All this being said, no way Cena loses. For the same reasons that everyone else mentioned. It's going to be Cena v. Hogan in the WWE Regional final. Prepare to battle.

John Cena by AA and five-knuckle-shuffle. 15 minutes.

Sooooo it's basically down to location based booking? If that truly is the case then again I have to ask why? Why would Riki even take the match? He was bigger than Flair/Hogan/SCSA in his prime. He has no need for WWE and isn't looking for a "wwe superstar" job. He has nothing to gain by coming over to the US and losing. Riki wouldn't agree to a national disgrace —especially coming from a culture where honor is everything to do with a man's reputation and where especially in post WWII Japan a loss would just cement the "USA is better than Japan" stigma that Riki challenged his whole life. He simply has no incentive to take the match to lose.

I get the importance of location and of the WWE but today the "world is flat". Information is shared everywhere and we all compete internationally. This will not be a quiet loss in a foreign country that no one in Japan ever hears about. This is arguably the best of America right now vs. the living spirit of Puro.

Plus it would be a feel good story. Post Fukushima this would be like when the USA went head to head with Japan in women's football/soccer. All of Japan went nutz when they won! It would mean a helluva lot more to them then to most Americans who shit on wrestling regardless.

No Way does John Cena make it to the finals of this bracket... a possible next round match up with THE WARRIOR... and after that he has to get by HBK.

thats a tough road to walk on. smart money is on the chalk here.

This match is a joke. Cena is a far superior performer. The guy is as strong as the hulk and people say he can't wrestle but he can. He made a match with Great Kahli okay. This shouldn't last more than 5 min ending with an AA.

Simply put i'd give it to John I have seen 90% of hi matches since day 1 of his career but with Riki I had to look up because never heard of him b4 this he may have been a legend of prowrestling history but Cena love him or hate him he is wrestling rite now my votes Cena after one 5 star match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back