WWE Battleground: Flag Match - John Cena VS Rusev

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
On tonight's episode of SmackDown Live, Cena returned and, after being interrupted by Rusev, challenged Rusev to a Flag Match. Rusev turned down Cena's offer for the match tonight, but Daniel Bryan took to Twitter not long afterward and made the match official for Battleground.

This could be a fun way to give Rusev some big momentum after being on the shelf injured for several months but I don't see it going down that way. After John Cena's right wing Ra-Ra America is the best speech, I don't think there's much chance of Cena losing this match; it wouldn't hurt Cena at all and, in fact, it could be the start of adding a level of depth to his character seeing as how he's ultimately been labeled as a part timer. Despite his claims otherwise, Cena pretty much is a part timer at this point in time and if they wanted to create some level of doubt as to whether or not Cena's "gone soft", this would be a nice start.

However, I ultimately think we'll get the usual performance from Cena, he beats up the evil foreigner and goes onto SummerSlam to quite possibly defeat another evil foreigner in Jinder Mahal while winning his 17th World Championship.

The matches they had a few years ago were pretty good and I'm expecting the same here. I'm not thrilled about them facing each other again but I think this is part of a big plan to have Rusev turn into a huge name. I don't see why (though they have done it before) on why you would have Cena and Rusev fight each other again if Rusev isn't going over. Cena went over before and what would be the point of him going over Rusev again, especially when Rusev hasn't wrestled since Fastlane(?). Not a fan of the stipulation either but it's something new so I can't completely hate.

I guess it would have made too much sense to have it on Independence Day, the one day of the year we here in the states are at our most patriotic. The one day foreign heel vs. American babyface is easy money. When a Flag Match just sounds like the most natural thing to have. Nah. Instead let's put it on ppv and wait for the luster to wear off. I hope it's good and I hope Rusev will look great coming out of this, but past history makes me doubt it. And the idea of either flag being disrespected afterwards is very likely. I don't see a winner here, but I've been wrong.

Well this match came out of nowhere. Was it just me or did Rusev look extremely bored/apathetic/drunk tonight? Maybe it was rust or whatnot but he seemed to be missing something.

Anyway, I don't see Rusev walking out the winner in this one, but they could always surprise me by going a different route with Cena than I'm expecting. Like OP, I'm expecting to see Jinder/Cena at Summerslam so it would make complete sense for Cena to go over here if that were the plan. It all really depends on what they want to do with Rusev going forward, but sadly, I see him being stuck in the same loop he was in before his injury, meaning strong mid-card programs in between near irrelevancy.

Cena has lost a lot more since he went part-time, but I can't see him dropping a randomly thrown together flag match to Rusev after a two-week build. Seems much more likely that the match was made to give him a win and a weak excuse to challenge for the title.

What's the point of Free Agent Cena if he returns on his brand and makes his PPV return on his brand?

What's the point of Free Agent Cena if he returns on his brand and makes his PPV return on his brand?
So putting him in a match with no build at Great Balls Of Fire, would be logical? The current situation is much better. Atleast some build is present. Something is better than nothing.

Stop stop, Rusev is already dead.

Seriously, Cena already killed his momentum once, so why not just nip it in the bud now before he gets a chance to build any?

Does WWE hate Ru Ru and Lana? She loses two matches in two weeks after only one move. Rusev gets passed over for Jinder, and finally comes back just to be booked against a returning "all-timer" Cena.

So putting him in a match with no build at Great Balls Of Fire, would be logical? The current situation is much better. Atleast some build is present. Something is better than nothing.

Why would you put him on Great Balls of Fire? If he's on Smackdown then why advertise him as a free agent? He's still currently on Smackdown do it's irrelevant. I might be wrong but he's being advertised as a free agent so he can face a Raw superstar. Then why not hold off his return until they have something or be less trigger happy by saying he can Wrestle on either brand.

Why would you put him on Great Balls of Fire? If he's on Smackdown then why advertise him as a free agent? He's still currently on Smackdown do it's irrelevant. I might be wrong but he's being advertised as a free agent so he can face a Raw superstar. Then why not hold off his return until they have something or be less trigger happy by saying he can Wrestle on either brand.
Won't you put him on the PPV if you have appear on RAW?

I think that advertising him as a free agent is more of a teaser to his upcoming matches. And also some reason to watch both RAW and Smackdown. Every week.

I wouldn't put him on Raw until after GBoF, where I assume he would begin a feud with Joe.

There's no reason to watch Raw and Smackdown every week.

Although it's great to see Cena and Rusev back, I don't really have much interest in this. It appears most fans don't either, since tickets aren't selling (at least according to Meltzer).

The evil foreigner gimmick is quite stale at the moment, considering Jinder, Owens, and Rusev (the top three heels on SD) are all using it. It is fairly outdated in the first place.

Also Rusev doesn't need to lose his first feud back. Losing to Cena around 17 times in a row the last time hurt his momentum, and it's gonna happen again.

Like others have said, maybe Rusev and Lana do have backstage heat? I generally disregard those reports, but booking suggests there's potentially a little heat.

After this Cena can, well, presumably take the title off Jinder at SummerSlam, but I'm not so sure about that. Do you really think Cena's record-breaking title win is gonna come off Jinder? Also doesn't WWE have a tour of India coming up around September. I'm not a fan of Jinder staying champion until then nor would I mind Cena becoming champion again, but it's probably gonna be a while. As for Rusev, who knows? I'm not sure they have many long-term plans for him (or any other wrestler). Of course he is feuding with Cena, which is a big deal in itself. I wouldn't mind Styles/Cena IV and Rusev maybe upsetting Orton.

Really like Rusev and wanted to see him come back as Handsome Rusev. The guy is absolutely a riot and has a really good sense of humour, they could have done so much with it. He and either Corbin or Owens, would be one hell of a feud.

But saying that I really like Cena as well, so glad to see him back. Since he's able to go to either show, I don't think he'll be winning a title anytime soon, but pretty obvious as much as he says he isn't, yea he's a part timer now. Now is the time to start putting the newer crop of talent over. God knows some of them can't seem to get there on their own.

On topic though, Cena will probably win and who knows who Rusev will go onto. Ambrose maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back