Wrestling Fans Lack of Physical Fitness

nwojeff

Dark Match Winner
This thread is in no way meant to offend or insult anyone, but I'd like to describe what I see as a rather contradictory phenomenon among the majority of wrestling fans, and that is their level of physical fitness, or to put it more bluntly, the fact that so many are overweight and out of shape.

You might wonder why I say this is contradictory when the majority of the United States, particularly our children, are overweight or obese, but the reason I find this odd is that usually when people have a passion or interest they try to emulate the top people in that area of interest. What I'm getting at here is if you're a huge fan of rock music and it consumes your life, chances are at some point you're going to try to play the guitar, bass, drums or sing. You're going to be involved in music in some way, more often than not. And you're probably going to really look up to certain rock musicians and try to be like them.

If you're consumed with basketball, chances are you're going to be into playing basketball, even if just for recreation, but if you're in high school, you'll probably play organized basketball and attempt to play at a higher level like college or pro. And as with music or anything else, you're going to admire the best players because you want to be like them.

Now I'm not saying that I'm surprised more wrestling fans don't try to become professional wrestlers themselves, because that's something I've never aspired to myself despite my passion for the business, but I do find it weird that we (as a community of fans) can sit and watch Raw and Smackdown each week and admire these athletes and not want to be in shape ourselves like the majority of them are.

I realize wrestling is not bodybuilding, but it just seems like a form of entertainment with so much emphasis on how the performers look and how good of shape they're in would rub off on the captive audience a little bit more. I mean, I can't believe how many out of shape, overweight people there are when I go to see a WWE show in my hometown. I hate to make this sound like a Rick Rude promo but it's the truth. And I'm not at all against overweight people, I would just expect fans of such a physical sport where physique is so important to be more concerned about their own physique. But maybe this is illogical since so much of the general population is out of shape.

Even if you just wanted to look at it from an immature, child-like perspective, like I did when I was younger and first starting to work out, wouldn't you want to be like your favorite wrestler and be in really good shape just to pretend that you would be them one day? I mean, didn't anyone else actually take Hogan's advice of training and taking your vitamins to heart? I know I did.

So I'd like to know among the WZ forum, are any of you really into health and fitness like I am, and were you at all inspired by a wrestler or pro wrestling in general to start working out and eating right? Also, why do you think more fans are not inspired to imitate their favorite superstars by getting into really good shape?

(On a side note, I think the WWE can do a lot more for America's youth in particular with trying to get them more active and healthy, much like the NFL and NBA are attempting to do)

You might wonder why I say this is contradictory when the majority of the United States, particularly our children, are overweight or obese, but the reason I find this odd is that usually when people have a passion or interest they try to emulate the top people in that area of interest.

It doesn't take top physical fitness to jump off the top of your couch and elbow drop your friend.

What I'm getting at here is if you're a huge fan of rock music and it consumes your life, chances are at some point you're going to try to play the guitar, bass, drums or sing. You're going to be involved in music in some way, more often than not. And you're probably going to really look up to certain rock musicians and try to be like them.

If you're consumed with basketball, chances are you're going to be into playing basketball, even if just for recreation, but if you're in high school, you'll probably play organized basketball and attempt to play at a higher level like college or pro. And as with music or anything else, you're going to admire the best players because you want to be like them.

You make a good point, but I think you're missing what the viewer is emulating. You touched on the real issue here:

I realize wrestling is not bodybuilding

That's just it, wrestling isn't bodybuilding. If you think of anyone who is really into bodybuilding, chances are they practice that themselves or at least have a gym membership. I disagree with your assessment that wrestling emphasizes the wrestler's physique, I think it emphasizes the wrestler's character, and physique is just one of the tools used to build their character.

You need to be in good physical shape (generally) to be a wrestler. You need to be in good physical shape to be a basketball player. I really don't see that big of a difference between the wrestling fanbase and basketball's fanbase - neither groups are in shape. My point is that while having good physical condition is necessary to do either event, it's not the focus.

In fact, to further prove my point, what do wrestling fans emulate? The gestures, the catchphrases, sometimes the finishing moves - shit like that.

To answer your question though, I'm not really into physical fitness, I do yoga but that's about it.

I have noticed that too.

Seems a bit strange to me in a way. I know I started working out (I already played football and did jujitsu) after watching wrestling and wanting a physique like the wrestlers.

Each to their own I guess.

In my society and family people who work out and build a muscular body, like with big pecs and thick arms, are kinda views as pimps, so that's always been one of my biggest problems in life.

What I'm getting at here is if you're a huge fan of rock music and it consumes your life, chances are at some point you're going to try to play the guitar, bass, drums or sing. You're going to be involved in music in some way, more often than not. And you're probably going to really look up to certain rock musicians and try to be like them.

You make a good point, but I think you're missing what the viewer is emulating. You touched on the real issue here:

That's just it, wrestling isn't bodybuilding. If you think of anyone who is really into bodybuilding, chances are they practice that themselves or at least have a gym membership. I disagree with your assessment that wrestling emphasizes the wrestler's physique, I think it emphasizes the wrestler's character, and physique is just one of the tools used to build their character.

You need to be in good physical shape (generally) to be a wrestler. You need to be in good physical shape to be a basketball player. I really don't see that big of a difference between the wrestling fanbase and basketball's fanbase - neither groups are in shape. My point is that while having good physical condition is necessary to do either event, it's not the focus.

In fact, to further prove my point, what do wrestling fans emulate? The gestures, the catchphrases, sometimes the finishing moves - shit like that.

To answer your question though, I'm not really into physical fitness, I do yoga but that's about it.

SalvIsWin, you make some really good points I hadn't considered, especially about most fans being more likely to emulate things like gestures, catchphrases, etc.

One thing I thought of that I hadn't mentioned in my original post was that it might depend on the wrestlers that you admired the most to some degree. For instance, if you were a big fan of guys like Hogan, Luger, Scott Steiner, Rick Rude, Batista, etc. then you might be more likely to get into bodybuilding yourself.

If you like the cruiserweights and other smaller performers who might be lean but really cut, which is my body type, then maybe you'd be more likely to follow in their footsteps.

And maybe you're a person who idolized the "common man" like a Dusty Rhodes, or guys with not so impressive builds like the Big Boss Man, Mick Foley, or even someone that wasn't necessarily overweight but not muscular or ripped either like a Ted Dibiase Sr.

I think a wrestler's look and build does play a big part in his appeal and some fans do try to emulate their favorite superstars by trying to be like them, but overall I think I was wrong in assuming that more fans would be into this type of thing because like you said, it's really not the primary focus of a wrestling show.

I will say this though, there have been a lot of guys throughout the years that had average (at best) mic skills and in-ring skills but had a great look and they had a pretty solid career in the business mostly based on their physique and overall look. Luger is the first person that comes to mind in this regard.

I think the thing to remember, which should be easy as we've had the term pushed down our throats for some time now, is that it is 'Sports Entertainment' and there is a term for massive fans of TV entertainment - 'coach potatoes' and they do have the stereotype of being plus sized.

Personally, while I'm far from chiseled (I liked the 6pack that much. I bought the barrel), I am reasonably fit and I play indoor football for an hour at least three times a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back