WrestleZone Interviewz #1 - "Not Brian" Papa Pillman

Hard Hit Prince

Not really working as a
WRESTLEZONE INTERVIEWZ

PAPA PILLMAN
Hey everyone and welcome to the first edition of the WrestleZone Interviewz, as you've probably figured out my first guest is the one and only Mr. Papa Pillman! He was kind enough to send me a little bio about himself and that'll be down here in the quote tab. Hope you guys enjoyed it and hope to read your feedback on it as I would most likely get my second choice from you good people.

My name is Chuck and I live in a North suburb of Dayton, Ohio. I'm 33 years old and I'm originally from Louisville, Ky; but I've lived in Dayton since the fifth grade when my Dad was transferred for work. I'm a partner in a small restaurant that I also manage. I'm a former Corporate trainer for a semi-major Midwestern bar & grill chain. I also spent a couple years working in sports memorabilia, especially related to Ohio State and Cincinnati Reds and Bengals merchandise. I'm divorced, I don't have kids, and I'm seeing a great girl that I've been dating officially since the Spring (a couple months after my divorce was finalized).

I'm the ultra-liberal son(Vote Green!) of an ultra-conservative two tour Vietnam vet and ordained minister. I'm a sports junkie of almost all sorts, especially but not limited to basketball, football, baseball, golf, horse racing(I'm from Louisville after all), and most contact sports(especially pro wrestling obviously). I was raised on Kentucky basketball and its been a passion for me since I was old enough to say Kentucky. I've been attending Reds and Bengals games since a small child as well and still follow both religiously. I became an OSU fan when shortly after I came to Ohio I started following the team with Eddie George and Terry Glenn, Buckeyes football has been near and dear to me since. My Dad was a huge boxing fan and he got me started watching boxing and pro wrestling from the time I was a toddler, I'm not so much of a boxing fan today, but I am an avid MMA fan spanning back to the PRIDE days.

From attending live events and wrestling signings, as well as my time dealing in sports autographs, I have had the privilege of meeting a lot of athletes and a few pro wrestlers. Some of the ones who standout the most to me are Pete Rose(my biggest sports idol ever), Gordie Howe(absolute legend), Chad Johnson(one of the coolest people you'll ever meet) and Chris Benoit(still blows my mind that I shook his hand when I think of what those hands did).

I used to be more musically eclectic, but now I mostly just listen to independent hip-hop and trip-hop/ambient/downtempo artists. I don't play video games and the last video game system I owned was a PS2 a few years ago. I don't watch much TV anymore that's not sports related, and most of what I do watch is animated(though I do dig American Horror Story). I don't watch a ton of movies as they're released, but catch things that interest me that get positive buzz, and always have a select but growing group of directors who I view all of their films. Aside from that I mostly just look for mind-bending films that are experimental and/or visually impressive. I'm a really good fantasy football player(champion, and runner-up in my two cash leagues this year), I'm good at most random trivia games, and I'm great at any card game I learn.

I'll have to save this in case I ever need to fill out a dating profile. This will all surely be a hit with the ladies.

1. Hey Chuck! That was a dope presentation and let's start with the matter of professional wrestling - you mentioned your dad was the one that got you started on it - so, what companies were you watching at the time and what's really your first wrestling memory?

Family!.jpg

PP: My Dad wasn't a fan at all of the WWF, he always said that he liked his wrestling to "look more real"(to be fair he was more of a boxing guy really). He watched everything else though, a lot the syndicated stuff- World Class, Mid-South/UWF, JCP, USWA, the Memphis stuff when we got it. I guess you'd say all of the southern based companies. I loved it all too, especially WCCW because of the Von Erichs, and anything JCP because of Flair.

But I also watched WWF as a kid, it was like cartoons for me. I remember ordering WrestleMania V on my Eighth birthday. I loved Macho man, and my brother(who was nine) loved Hogan, so we were rooting against each other.

2. As a 33 year old man, what you think is the big difference in watching and enjoying professional wrestling from when you were just a teen? Is it something you're "publicly" known for enjoying? What's your girlfriend's take on it?

PP: Most people definitely know I'm a wrestling fan(if for no better reason than I wear wrestling t-shirts). And people that have been around me for years have surely seen me watch it. A lot. My gf doesn't like wrestling but she'll go to shows with me to look at the wrestlers(and she would leave me for Jay Briscoe).

The thing that I miss most about wrestling in the 90s is the enthusiasm for the alternative. In the late 90s you had three major national wrestling companies who had completely different styles and approaches(although WCW had its most successful run due to stealing from the WWF, and WWF had its most successful run due to stealing from ECW). WCW was challenging and even overtaking the WWF, and ECW was a giant by '99 compared to what TNA and ROH are now. In the modern wrestling environment, there is no one to push WWE, so the gradual shift toward a more crowd pleasing style of professional wrestling is only hitting the national scene at a snail's pace compared to what's been happening on the indies, and in Japan, Mexico, and the UK.

Despite the modern communication environment, where everyone can have everything at their fingertips instantaneously, people (in sizable mass) are unwilling to seek out better pro wrestling alternatives and many just quit on wrestling if they quit on the WWE. And that's sad, because there's wrestling out there to suit everyone's taste. On the bright side, for a wrestling junkie, the modern high speed internet era is awesome. Watching NJPW online in 2015 beats the shit out of searching for(and often overpaying for) All Japan bootleg VHS tapes in the mid/late 90s.

3. I really enjoyed your last answer, so let's take a small break from wrestling. You talked about working on a restaurant, being the manager really, so what's that like? Was that something you wanted to do, or just an opportunity that appeared and you went along? Are you having some success with it?

PP: The restaurant is seasonal, we had a great year, but now its the off season. So I get a bit of a well-earned break, currently I'm just working mornings as the breakfast chef at a Peruvian restaurant. Also, as with every good job I've ever had- it's all about knowing the right people.

4. Now, I'll try and get a little pit personal, but it's okay if you don't feel like it, but you mentioned you went through a divorce and that must have been tough. How are you these days and how much contact do you have with your (ex-wife)? What was your family's reaction to it and is your current girlfriend fine with that, or does she sometimes feel some jealous?

PP: Whoa there Barbara Walters. My ex and I split peacefully and I didn't lose quite everything. We do live really damn close and do still see each other, but it's not a big deal, we're both happier now. And my girlfriend has always handled it all better than can be expected.

As for my family; my mom, brother, friends, etc. really only care that I'm happy. And my dad actually never got to meet my ex-wife because he died the same month that I met her.

5. Barbara Walters would die of jealous of this opportunity. Who gives a shit about interviews with Taylor Swift, right? Ah, let's imagine you're trying to convince a foreigner European member from this boards to move to the USA (yeah, what a challenge). What's the state you would recommend and why?

PP: Definitely Washington. I especially think that any European members would find that the Pacific Northwest feels a lot more like home than what they probably imagine America to be, and not just because of the weather. Liberal politics and legal Marijuana are a nice touch too.

6. While we're on it, tell us, who's your personal favorite poster on WrestleZone Forums? And who's the guy you really can't stand?

PP: I like a lot of you bastards, and respect a lot of your opinions. I don't know if I have one favorite. I respect IDR a lot as a poster, JMT and Thriller are a couple of guys I've always agreed a lot with, KB is one of the only guys who does wrestling reviews on the internet whose reviews I actually put any stock in (and the only one I'll read who doesn't use star ratings, speaking of, I also miss Xfear, and speaking of people I miss there's also Butcher lately). I can't forget to mention Sally, one of the most pleasant people to ever interact with on these here interwebs, we've always had a lot of mutual respect for each others' posts, and I value the appreciation from someone as good as her. And you sir get props from me for rocking the Nakamura sigs for so long.

There is no one that I flat don't like. One thing I've always dug about WZF is that, while outsiders would look in and think this board is slow or dead, in reality I like to think that this board just weeds out the idiots quickly. I like Dragon Saga, but I wish his critical presence in the Impact Support thread hadn't too often turned it into a flame war (but that's not all his fault). Is that close enough to controversy for you?

7. You're way too nice. Should be up for the award of nicest poster who you would like to mee in real life. I've got to get some ScreaminNormanSmilley on this shit, he'll take care of each and everyone of us. So, going back to wrestling for a moment, you mentioned meeting Chris Benoit. Damn. How was that like? Describe that day and the event you went watching.

PP: Brian Pillman Memorial Show 2000. I had third row seats. I also got to hang out around the backstage area for a couple hours before the event, and i met a lot of the guys who worked the show(all of the Radicals, Vampiro, and D-Lo being the most notable I got to actually interact with) there's a bit of a story behind all of this that I won't go off on a tangent into the details of, but once again... Its good to know people. Also on that show Chris Benoit(who had just jumped ship to WWE) and William Regal (who was training WWE developmental talent at the time) had the best wrestling match that I've ever seen live. I got to talk very briefly with Chris before the show- mostly just hellos and handshakes, but he was nice to me and everyone else I saw him interact with.

[YOUTUBE]pFzZs_iOydY[/YOUTUBE]​

8. Now, some popcorn questions -
  • If you could've attended any wrestling show from the past, what would your number one choice be?
  • If you were a wrestler, what's a fancy nickname you would give yourself?
  • Who's your current favorite wrestling promotions and wrestlers?
  • What's your favorite movie of all time?
  • What's the best song going on right now?
  • Why the name "Papa Pillman"?

PP: Is this your own personal Proust questionnaire?

• Show: No Clue. Mania 17 is the first thing that pops into my head.
  • Nickname: The Most Dreaded(I have giant dreadlocks and I like plays on words).
  • Promotion/wrestler: The favorite promotion changes month-to-month. 2013 it was probably mostly PWG, early last year it was ROH, TNA had the best TV product in the Summer/Fall, the winter I was focused on the builds to Final Battle and Wrestle Kingdom. As for wrestlers, too many. NJPW- Nakamura, Ishii; TNA- Joe, Ki, Aries, Roode, Wolves; WWE- Rollins, Bryan, most of NXT; ROH- O'Reilly, Jay Briscoe; other indie guys like Ricochet and Hero; yada yada etc. and more.
  • Film: Something by Tarantino or Kubrick(Shining, Clockwork Orange, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill 2, something like that).
  • Song: Right Now? Probably the title track off the Royce and Primo collab album- "PRhyme".
  • User name: The play on words, because people like to get too excited or heated on the internet. Also as a tribute to Brian Pillman.

9. I wanna thank you a lot for being my first guest and it was really nice to meet you. Hope we can still have some cool debates over at this damn boards. Is there anything else you want to say to our fellow, WZ forum readers?

PP: All I have to say is I better not be the first and last of ya'll motherfuckers who does this.

Oh, and if anybody was assed to read this whole thing and found it interesting at all, let me know, because you'll have rep coming from me, because I still can't imagine why anyone would care about any of this shit.

You strike a good line between formal and in-formal: relaxed but interesting questions. Was a fun read and it's interesting to find more about some of the folks on here (you have dreadlocks Pap Pillman? Not what I expected). Good stuff.

Ok, ok, don't mess with my English, I'm not a native, but I really enjoyed Papa's real personality ahah. And yes, InterviewZ is so much better than InterviewS. Z > S.

Ok, ok, don't mess with my English, I'm not a native, but I really enjoyed Papa's real personality ahah. And yes, InterviewZ is so much better than InterviewS. Z > S.

If I was making a logo for this, I would highlight the WZ in IntervieWZ for a snazzy bit of Wrestlezone flair. That is the first thing that stood out for me when I saw what you planned on calling this.

I dig the format & if this keeps going, you could even add one or two good poster submitted questions to round it out. Kudos to you & a high five to Pillman for being the lab rat. You are already doing a better editorial job than the main page.

Well done all around.

Looking forward to the next one!

Just out of curiosity; Which Poster would you guys most look forward to reading about? I'd most look forward to a Jack-Hammer interview as he seems pretty much a mystery to me thus far given his posts.

Just out of curiosity; Which Poster would you guys most look forward to reading about? I'd most look forward to a Jack-Hammer interview as he seems pretty much a mystery to me thus far given his posts.

Now that would be interesting, if for no other reason than that it would mean someone would have to actually inform Jack-Hammer that the Bar Room exists.

If I was making a logo for this, I would highlight the WZ in IntervieWZ for a snazzy bit of Wrestlezone flair. That is the first thing that stood out for me when I saw what you planned on calling this.

I dig the format & if this keeps going, you could even add one or two good poster submitted questions to round it out. Kudos to you & a high five to Pillman for being the lab rat. You are already doing a better editorial job than the main page.

Definitely gonna use some of your tips and I'll work on a logo as I kinda know a little bit of something about Photoshop. This had a very good feedback, so I am willing to improve it. I want to send my appreciation for Papa Pillman for being my first guest and thank you all that've been replying in it.

I'll use alumni as correspondents and co-interviewers in the future, if they want to do it of course.

Definitely gonna use some of your tips and I'll work on a logo as I kinda know a little bit of something about Photoshop. This had a very good feedback, so I am willing to improve it. I want to send my appreciation for Papa Pillman for being my first guest and thank you all that've been replying in it.

I'll use alumni as correspondents and co-interviewers in the future, if they want to do it of course.

Good idea.

Let it evolve as time goes along as it is an interesting way to get to know more about the people on here.

Maybe a "Live" Interview at some point of one of the long standing guys wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Just have to do such an interview when there is a PPV on.

I already secured my second guest and believe it or not, we're already half way through it. I am really enjoying doing this, and I'll probably do ten of those. Then, I'll let someone else take the mantle if someone wants to interview you good people. As for the next guest, I guess I'll be aiming for controversial but savy. Stay tuned. Once again, thank you all and thank you Papa! You were awesome dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back