Wrestlers who have worked for every major American wrestling company?

Ah! See, I predate Hulkamania so I was definitely "around" back then. Was well familiar with the Von Erichs and World Class courtesy of the Apter mags even though I never got to actually watch.
World Class was a lot of fun. I saw more of it growing up than the WWF. And I was pretty heavily influenced by the Apter mags, too.
I guess I was looking at it from a territorial standpoint. I used to go to a lot of CWA shows and never really thought of their wrestlers as NWA guys. I did kind of consider them AWA wrestlers after Lawler won the title, though.
Wanted to tell you I dig your username. Bockwinkel is in my all-time top five.

World Class was a lot of fun. I saw more of it growing up than the WWF. And I was pretty heavily influenced by the Apter mags, too.
I guess I was looking at it from a territorial standpoint. I used to go to a lot of CWA shows and never really thought of their wrestlers as NWA guys. I did kind of consider them AWA wrestlers after Lawler won the title, though.
Wanted to tell you I dig your username. Bockwinkel is in my all-time top five.

Yeah, the CWA broke away from the NWA in the mid-80s ('85 or '86 I think) and was more affiliated with the AWA after that. Primarily because Crockett was hogging the services of Flair if I remember right.

I just got the Bockwinkel name today :D He's another one I never got see when he was really on top as we didn't get the AWA in my area until they got that ESPN show and by that time Nick was a shell of his former self. I knew quite a bit about him and his matches through the mags, though. It wasn't until the past few years that I've actually gotten to see some of his matches and promos thanks to You Tube; and every time I see them he climbs higher and higher on my all-time favorites list to the point where he's threatening to take the #1 spot.

Someone mentioned earlier that Foley did 4 of the 5.

He actually did all 5.

WWF, WCW, ECW, TNA and in his early career, he did do some AWA shows. He was with USWA/CWA while they had the AWA agreement, and also did a couple shots on proper AWA shows as Cactus Jack... plus he worked Superclash 3.

I think I saw Scott Steiner mentioned as someone who did 4 but not 5. He's actually the guy that's probably worked in the most major companies worldwide out of anyone who's been in the business the last 30-40 years.

- He did AWA shots through the CWA/AWA affiliation. Fought Cactus Jack in a tag match in one of them, and fought Ronnie Garvin for the AWA International Television title in another. Considering the criteria we're using for NWA is just working for any NWA affiliated territory, this should count.
- Everyone knows about the WCW, WWE, ECW and TNA spots
- He's also worked AAA in Mexico, as well as both NJPW and AJPW in Japan. He always had a deal with NJPW, but in 2007 he did work one AJPW show
- He's also worked both WCW and NWA proper without doing that through WCW

He's probably the ultimate answer to this question. Say what you will about the guy, but over the years, he's worked virtually everywhere that he possibly could.

Yeah, the CWA broke away from the NWA in the mid-80s ('85 or '86 I think) and was more affiliated with the AWA after that. Primarily because Crockett was hogging the services of Flair if I remember right.

I just got the Bockwinkel name today :D He's another one I never got see when he was really on top as we didn't get the AWA in my area until they got that ESPN show and by that time Nick was a shell of his former self. I knew quite a bit about him and his matches through the mags, though. It wasn't until the past few years that I've actually gotten to see some of his matches and promos thanks to You Tube; and every time I see them he climbs higher and higher on my all-time favorites list to the point where he's threatening to take the #1 spot.

You're right. One of the reasons that Jarrett changed his allegiance to the AWA over the NWA was the fact that Crockett was hogging the title and Flair. He didn't feel that his guy (Lawler) would ever have a chance of getting a run with the belt, and also that he wouldn't keep getting the champ like they'd been used to. One thing people need to remember was that for these smaller NWA territories, getting the champ to come in was a big deal. They would get bigger gates, and be able to set up months of angles around that visit from the champ that would keep the territory going good. So when Crockett started hogging the champ to himself, quite a few of the NWA territories either broke away (WCCW and CWA being the most prominent I can think of), or just slowly dried up (Florida, South West, Central States, ect). Portland was able to hang on longer... mostly because Owens was the rare NWA promoter that didn't use the champ that often, so the lack of access didn't hurt him nearly as much. People like to talk about how Vince McMahon killed the territories, and he did. But he didn't do it without help, and Jim Crockett in his own way, probably did as much to kill off the NWA territories as Vince McMahon ever did.

That's all a little off topic though. One of the other main reasons that Jarrett switched to the AWA, which as another Bockwinkel fan I always liked... is that he simply felt that Nick Bockwinkel was a better World Champion than Ric Flair. He felt he could do better business bringing in Bockwinkel to fight Lawler than he ever could with Flair vs Lawler. Plus finally, he realized that their was a better chance that the AWA would go with Lawler as champ than the NWA, who never would have once Crockett got a hold of the belt.

As a Bockwinkel fan, I don't know if you've seen this, but if not you should. Anyone who's not familiar with him, should watch... because they don't make heels like this anymore. Here he's doing the classic heel complaining about the face's 'illegal' hold bit, but simply doing it far better than anyone else, and doing it so well in fact, that until the match started and you found out what a snake he could be, that you believe Bock and feel that the hero Gagne is a cheater. Plus you get a classic Heenan line about all the little old ladies at home that want to use the sleeper.

[YOUTUBE]BYcA83NkEUo[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty sure Jim Cornette fits the criteria, but Vader definitely doesn't. He didn't work ECW.

Lots of people hit 4 of the 5. To be honest, ECW and TNA don't even really belong on the list with AWA, WCW, WWF and the NWA territory system in general. Neither was ever a national level promotion. ECW was a place you got noticed or where you worked between gigs.

You're right. One of the reasons that Jarrett changed his allegiance to the AWA over the NWA was the fact that Crockett was hogging the title and Flair. He didn't feel that his guy (Lawler) would ever have a chance of getting a run with the belt, and also that he wouldn't keep getting the champ like they'd been used to. One thing people need to remember was that for these smaller NWA territories, getting the champ to come in was a big deal. They would get bigger gates, and be able to set up months of angles around that visit from the champ that would keep the territory going good. So when Crockett started hogging the champ to himself, quite a few of the NWA territories either broke away (WCCW and CWA being the most prominent I can think of), or just slowly dried up (Florida, South West, Central States, ect). Portland was able to hang on longer... mostly because Owens was the rare NWA promoter that didn't use the champ that often, so the lack of access didn't hurt him nearly as much. People like to talk about how Vince McMahon killed the territories, and he did. But he didn't do it without help, and Jim Crockett in his own way, probably did as much to kill off the NWA territories as Vince McMahon ever did.

That's all a little off topic though. One of the other main reasons that Jarrett switched to the AWA, which as another Bockwinkel fan I always liked... is that he simply felt that Nick Bockwinkel was a better World Champion than Ric Flair. He felt he could do better business bringing in Bockwinkel to fight Lawler than he ever could with Flair vs Lawler. Plus finally, he realized that their was a better chance that the AWA would go with Lawler as champ than the NWA, who never would have once Crockett got a hold of the belt.

As a Bockwinkel fan, I don't know if you've seen this, but if not you should. Anyone who's not familiar with him, should watch... because they don't make heels like this anymore. Here he's doing the classic heel complaining about the face's 'illegal' hold bit, but simply doing it far better than anyone else, and doing it so well in fact, that until the match started and you found out what a snake he could be, that you believe Bock and feel that the hero Gagne is a cheater. Plus you get a classic Heenan line about all the little old ladies at home that want to use the sleeper.

Yeah, I've seen that: It's a great classic clip! You Tube has LOADS of old Bockwinkel-Heenan promos that should be required viewing for any wrestling fan :D

Re hogging the title: Going back even further, that sort of situation was the reason the NWA switched the title from Buddy Rogers and back to Thesz. Vince Sr's partner Toots Mondt was hogging the champion and the other territories couldn't get any dates scheduled from him. It was the whole point of the NWA in the first place: Sharing the champion so every territory got appearances by him and eliminating the problem of competing world champs.

Crockett saw the writing on the wall, aka he realized not only what Vince & WWE were doing but where the business was headed, long before anyone as most of the other promoters just kept their heads in the sand. With TBS and his lucrative TV deal, he had the money to pay better wages with MUCH better exposure than the smaller, more regional based promotions. By 1986 he was putting strict limitations on Flair's schedule, he was still working 250 shows per year (down from nearly 300) but he was almost exclusively working for Crockett, although he was still making appearances in FLA (where he first wrestled a rookie Lex Luger in 1986) and St Louis. The one major exception was his yearly trips to Japan where even though they were not affiliated with Crockett or the NWA he allowed Flair to go due to high amounts of money they paid for his appearances there.

Crockett was trying to expand and put the "others out of business" just as Vince was but he made two crucial mistakes....One he lacked Vince's marketing savvy, the posters and action figures, the TV production look, he was slow to catch on to the value of the asthetics than Vince, who had worked in Arena Management promoting concerts, etc before taking over WWE full time. 2) He lacked patience. Vince would buy air time on local TV for his syndicated programs in rival territory markets (he didn't have the national exposure Crockett did on TBS, which was the #1 most watched wrestling show most of the 80s), then gradually move into doing live shows in rival areas, only a few, with stacked cards, making them like "special events" which enhanced the notion that WWE was something bigger and more special than what the audience usually got to watch. Meanwhile he focused most of his touring business where he was strongest, in his NY, NJ, CT, PA area IE the old WWE territory. Crockett would get the syndicated shows on local TV alongside the TBS exposure which was huge, then start running shows with stacked cards initially in rival markets with huge crowds and great responses. The problem was he would then want to expand and make those new cities part of his monthly or bi monthly touring schedule, and the markets became saturated, plus the shows lost some of that "special" appeal, worse the massive increase in cross country travel meant giant travel expenses, which when you're giving up sell out crowds in your home base (NC, SC, GA, KY, TENN) and playing to half filled or two thirds filled arenas 1000's of miles away meant higher costs and diminished returns. It was a financial disaster but Crockett wanted to "up the ante" on Vince, who smartly stuck to his more conservative, slow build plan for expansion, and won the race in the end.

If Crockett had followed a path similar to Vince in terms of travel and touring, he would have thrived well into the 1990s.

That said, Jim Crockett Jr, even if it was in retaliation, did as much to kill the territory system as Vince.

You guys should watch the Cornette/JJ Dillon "Back to the Territories" doc... had a lot of perspective on what went wrong in JCP.

Flairfan has some of it, but not all. Booking power was part of it and the sheer "bad luck" of certain situations like TA getting hurt also played a factor. But the reality is Crockett was a spender... for a time the revenue was there $21m in 86... but then others started "needing more" to do the same job, things like jets and the whole "matching the WWF" the cost killed it.

You guys should watch the Cornette/JJ Dillon "Back to the Territories" doc... had a lot of perspective on what went wrong in JCP.

Flairfan has some of it, but not all. Booking power was part of it and the sheer "bad luck" of certain situations like TA getting hurt also played a factor. But the reality is Crockett was a spender... for a time the revenue was there $21m in 86... but then others started "needing more" to do the same job, things like jets and the whole "matching the WWF" the cost killed it.

Magnum TA hurt....he was way over as the rising good guy star, Dusty Rhodes was incredibly popular but he was the end of his career, he wasn't the future, he was the now, had TA not been injured he and Flair may have been Crockett's answer to Hogan & Savage as the top stars who could sell out against almost anyone, or against each other.

Dusty's role as booker has been well documented too, both for the incredible creativity he displayed and for the many accusations that he held others back to continue to elevate himself and keep himself in the spotlight. Ive always wondered what would have happened had TA not been injured, Dusty was close with Jim Crockett but Crockett had already made it clear that he saw Flair as his #1 guy, if TA had supplanted Dusty as #1A and gone on to win the title, would Dusty have tried to sabatoge it ? We'll never know, all conjecture, but there is no doubt that there were booking issues that lead to a lot of talent issues related to Dusty's behind the scenes roll that contributed to Crockett's loss vs Vince just as his over zealous business plan did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back