Wrestlemania at Wembley Stadium?

The Rob

Telling me I'm invincible..
Ok, Wrestlemania has proven that it can be staged in the biggest stadiums in the USA. The fact that Ford Field & The Citrus Bowl were both sold out for Wrestlemania is a massive feat. The Reliant Stadium is bound to sell-out also for the biggest Wrestlemania yet. But the one thing that the WWE should do to make Wrestlemania that ever so more incredible... bring it to Wembley Stadium. Imagine how incredible that would be! And its not like it wouldn't work, the whole Wrestlemania week.

Wembley Stadium can hold 90,000 people in the seats when its full. Now imagine that with an extra 10,000 people on the floor. The staging area will blank out about 5000 seats, depending on how high it would be. So thats around 95,000 people in attendence for the event.

The Hall of Fame ceremony would be held at either the 02 Arena or the Royal Albert Hall. The Wrestlemania Fan Axess could be held at someone like Thorpe Park, just outside of London. And the Raw and Smackdown live shows before and after could be held at arenas like the 02 Arena, The NIA in Birmingham or the MEN Arena in Manchester. Then they could jump straight into the Wrestlemania revenge tour then head off back to the states for Backlash.

If Wrestlemania was to be held in England it would completely sell out, no question. It'll be a must-attend event for every single British WWE fan. It'll be like the first time the NFL came to Wembley, 700,000 people tried to get tickets when only 90,000 were avaidable.

Also it would be easy still for American's to fly over to London for the event too. London has two HUGE airports in Gatwick and Heathrow and theres tons of cheap accomidation for people in London, plus the Underground system would provide the transport to and from Wembley.

If the WWE want to prove that Wrestlemania truly is a global phenominom, then it needs to travel further than Toronto.

What do you guy/gals think?

Why have I never thought of this? This would be like a dream come true - Wrestlemania here in England. I think it could definitely work, I'm sure there are many english WWE fans like myself who would love to see Wrestlemania here, and they'd pay for it too - something I doubt would ever happen again.

The problem is the timing. I doubt we could have Wrestlemania happen at the usual 12- 4, which it normally is for us over here. But if we had it earlier it would be on at an awkward time for Americans, and considering this is where the majority of PPV sales are sold it probably wouldn't happen. If Wrestlemania began at 9pm over here, it would be starting at 4pm in some places in America, which might put people off buying it, or they might not be able to altogether.

Besides that problem it would be epic, and i would definitely go to it.

Why would having Wrestlemania at an earlyer time for the Americans be such a problem? They never think that here in the UK we have to stay up till 1am just to see a damn PPV start! And the PPV wouldn't start at 9am English time. Do you really think that the wrestlers in the main event would be happy to wrestle at gone 1am in the morning. The PPV would start at 7pm English and its tough shit for anyone who finds that too early across the pond. I mean the Superbowl is played pretty early in the day, so its not like they won't be used to a big event being held at a respectful hour.

That's a great idea, but I actually think it won't happen, not for several years. As I live in Ireland, I would go over to England if I managed to get tickets to it. And not just to see WrestleMania. I don't see why WWE never have any PPV situated outside the US. I believe they did in the past, in England, but I think that was at least five or six years ago, maybe even more. For some reason I think it was a "Rebellion" PPV, whenever those existed. Sorry, I haven't been a fan of the WWE for that long, ha ha.

Yeah Rebelion and Insurextion. But they weren't really important PPV's at all, thats why they stopped. You noticed that the titles rarely/if ever changed hands during those PPV's.

Yea but the fact is we are a small minority compared to the Americans, and the WWE tries to appeal to the largest audience that it can. It wouldn't sacrifice three quarters of its viewers just to do a show over here. If anything they might do something like a Summerslam or Survivor Series over here, but i doubt they'd do a Wrestlemania. And that is what I am saying, the wrestlers wouldn't want to wrestle at 1am, so therefore there are no options left.

Yea but the fact is we are a small minority compared to the Americans, and the WWE tries to appeal to the largest audience that it can. It wouldn't sacrifice three quarters of its viewers just to do a show over here. If anything they might do something like a Summerslam or Survivor Series over here, but i doubt they'd do a Wrestlemania. And that is what I am saying, the wrestlers wouldn't want to wrestle at 1am, so therefore there are no options left.

But Survivor Series and Summerslam are two of the four major PPV's of the year. If its such a big deal bringing Wrestlemania over to England for a once in a lifetime event then theres very little chance of them bringing a PPV like Summerslam or Survivor Series over here. They could litterally do it once every 50 years in England but at some stage Wrestlemania should make the jump. Untill then it can't be called a global phenominom because it only tackles the USA and (sometimes) Canada. I know Wrestlemania is a massive deal around the world but for it to be truly global, it needs to start being held in different places around the world, not just America.

Perhaps but it would certainly be a decade or so from now. Especially now in the current recession WWE is heavily focusing on PPV sales, and can't make decisions to just please a minority of fans.

The reason why Summersam or Survivor Series could make the jump instead is because the PPV sales aren't seen as important as the Wrestlemania ones. Every year you hear sites talking about what the WWE is aiming for in sales, and what is predicted. WWE always tries to beat its own record, and the record of other sports. Meanwhile even though Summerslam and SS are still important, they would more likely be risked by WWE for a one-off event. Also a previous Summerslam- Bret Hart V British Bulldog was held at the old Wembley stadium.

the best bet would be to try to it with a smaller payper view, and see how it effects buy rates. if it does well, you can slowly increase it to more important ppv's and see were you get the best effort.

perhaps even pull a UFC, all there european ppv's are broadcast on tv for free here later to make for decent nice timings for all. the only flaw to that could be you might hear about results earlier in the states before you can see it, but results are like that with UFC as well. WWE could simply just not put results on there site till as it airs in the states.

Yeah but back in those days Wrestlemania wasen't the multi-million dollar event it is now. It was seen as a big Wrestling event back around the time that Summerslam was held at the old Wembley Stadium, now Wrestlemania is considered to be as big, if not bigger than the Superbowl! And thats not exactly your typical NFL game.

Don't you think though that having Wrestlemania held over in England for the very first time ever would make it an even more wanted PPV to buy. Because the majority of Americans won't be able to fly over to England for the event, they would have to buy the PPV. Thats already an increase in the PPV orderings. Then you get the English audience. Because hundreds of thousands of people would want to attend and only 90.000 would be able too, alot of people over here would order the PPV. And more people around Europe would order the PPV because its on at a better hour for them also. And even in American the time wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Your right, it won't happen for an extremely long time, if ever... but it just should. I mean the first W in the WWE stands for World. The way Wrestlemania is held it might as well be called AWE... - American Wrestling Entertainment (with the occassional over-seas trip to get more money and Canada holds Wrestlemania once every like 10/15 years to make us look even remotely global)

I'm sorry if I'm ranting, I just believe that it should be done at some stage.

The problem is the timing. I doubt we could have Wrestlemania happen at the usual 12- 4, which it normally is for us over here. But if we had it earlier it would be on at an awkward time for Americans, and considering this is where the majority of PPV sales are sold it probably wouldn't happen. If Wrestlemania began at 9pm over here, it would be starting at 4pm in some places in America, which might put people off buying it, or they might not be able to altogether.

Besides that problem it would be epic, and i would definitely go to it.

I am from the States, but I would like to see you guys get Wrestlemania. I just don't think it's ever going to happen. Not just because it's Wrestlemania, but any PPV, because of the points brought up.

The sad truth is that a majority of PPV buys come from here in the United States, as opposed to overseas ... so WWE is simply catering to it's largest audience.

England is 5 hours ahead from East Coast time in the U.S. There is a 3 hour time difference between our East Coast and our West Coast.

So, if you would start the show at 8 PM on a Sunday night, that means it would start at 3 PM for the East Coast over here ... and 12 PM for the West Coast. Being that the schedule over here is the one Sunday of every month there is a PPV, that the show ALWAYS begins at 8 PM Eastern ... then it would unquestionably throw off a lot of people with the change in time, if we were to do the event earlier ... and that could equate to a major loss in revenue.

I also think WWE may be contracted with the cable companies to start the events at those times, as well ... so there may be no escaping even changing the start time, even if WWE wanted to.

The time difference is the only thing preventing you guys from getting a PPV.

Unfortunately, you will never see what happened at SummerSlam 1992 happen again, where WWE simply taped the event and aired it later the next day in the U.S., because of the Internet. Spoilers would be all over the Net and nobody will then be interested in ordering, because they will have already known who won.

I see where you guys want a big PPV, and certainly understand it, but when a majority of PPV buyers are here in the United States ... and on top of that ... when Vince has his choice of either selling out a stadium here, or going through the hassle of selling out a stadium overseas and figuring out what to do about the time difference ... its unfortunately obvious why he doesn't bring PPV's overseas anymore.

Im an American and I wouldnt be against it. I loved the whole atmosphere for SS92 so I could only imagine how great it would be for a Wrestlemania. My question is, I never been there so I have no idea but how's the weather over there in late March early April? Cause Im sure WWE doesnt want to invest that much only for the weather to end up being like 30 degrees or something like that(I know that's not normal but has it ever happened before at that time of year?). Both outdoor Manias they held in the States were at very warm climate cities, in Las Vegas and Orlando.

I am from the States, but I would like to see you guys get Wrestlemania. I just don't think it's ever going to happen. Not just because it's Wrestlemania, but any PPV, because of the points brought up.

The sad truth is that a majority of PPV buys come from here in the United States, as opposed to overseas ... so WWE is simply catering to it's largest audience.

England is 5 hours ahead from East Coast time in the U.S. There is a 3 hour time difference between our East Coast and our West Coast.

So, if you would start the show at 8 PM on a Sunday night, that means it would start at 3 PM for the East Coast over here ... and 12 PM for the West Coast. Being that the schedule over here is the one Sunday of every month there is a PPV, that the show ALWAYS begins at 8 PM Eastern ... then it would unquestionably throw off a lot of people with the change in time, if we were to do the event earlier ... and that could equate to a major loss in revenue.

I also think WWE may be contracted with the cable companies to start the events at those times, as well ... so there may be no escaping even changing the start time, even if WWE wanted to.

The time difference is the only thing preventing you guys from getting a PPV.

Unfortunately, you will never see what happened at SummerSlam 1992 happen again, where WWE simply taped the event and aired it later the next day in the U.S., because of the Internet. Spoilers would be all over the Net and nobody will then be interested in ordering, because they will have already known who won.

I see where you guys want a big PPV, and certainly understand it, but when a majority of PPV buyers are here in the United States ... and on top of that ... when Vince has his choice of either selling out a stadium here, or going through the hassle of selling out a stadium overseas and figuring out what to do about the time difference ... its unfortunately obvious why he doesn't bring PPV's overseas anymore.

Its such a shame though. I'm just curious but when Raw, Smackdown and ECW are filmed here in England, what happens in America? Does Raw get shown at the time that it would of been shown normally?

Im an American and I wouldnt be against it. I loved the whole atmosphere for SS92 so I could only imagine how great it would be for a Wrestlemania. My question is, I never been there so I have no idea but how's the weather over there in late March early April? Cause Im sure WWE doesnt want to invest that much only for the weather to end up being like 30 degrees or something like that(I know that's not normal but has it ever happened before at that time of year?). Both outdoor Manias they held in the States were at very warm climate cities, in Las Vegas and Orlando.

It can be really nice around that time of the year but... it is slightly dodgy, as is most of the year over here if I'm honest. But unless I'm very much mistaken, Wembley has a roof that can be put in place during the event.

I think it would pretty sweet to see a WrestleMania outside of North America, it is after all supposed to be the 'global phennomenon". The WWE has a solid fanbase in England so why not have one there. This wembly stadium sounds perfect. Ive also heard of this arena called the Theatre of Dreams, im pretty sure that its the home arena for Manchester United and would be an epic wrestlemania venue. Theatre of fucking Dreams come one thats perfect. If not in England another good choice would be japan, possibly in the Tokyo Dome.

Yeah Rebelion and Insurextion. But they weren't really important PPV's at all, thats why they stopped. You noticed that the titles rarely/if ever changed hands during those PPV's.

Are they basically like taped house shows? Where the outcome of matches and storylines in these never carry through to Raw? Does the title ever change hands at these kind of events?

Ive also heard of this arena called the Theatre of Dreams, im pretty sure that its the home arena for Manchester United and would be an epic wrestlemania venue. Theatre of fucking Dreams come one thats perfect.

You'll be talking about Old Trafford. :icon_smile:

The Theatre of Dreams was a nickname the stadium receieved years ago cause its considered such a legendary place. The Stadium's actually name is Old Trafford. And I'm not sure if it would be big enough to host Wrestlemania. Not in terms of size, it holds nearly 80,000 people but if your gunna hold Wrestlemania at any stadium in England, it has to be Wembley, Britians most historic stadium.

WrestleMania in England could work. Heck, if anything, it not only gives the Brits a great PPV event, but all of Europe can have a chance to make it...Europe has such a great rail system that people will come from all around to see...and I'm sure a few Americans who can afford it would go to see WrestleMania in England. I think it may be time to let our friends across the pond experience the global phenomenon. (Just hope your main event doesn't feature Mike Knox...zzzzzzzzz...)

Are they basically like taped house shows? Where the outcome of matches and storylines in these never carry through to Raw? Does the title ever change hands at these kind of events?

There hasen't been a PPV held in England since 2003 where Triple H defeated Kevin Nash. But the match had no implications going into Hell in a Cell at Bad Blood. They were basically a way of the WWE getting more money.

I agree that it would be a huge it for wrestlemania to go to england i highley doubt it will happen just because the wwe would probly loose ppv buyrates to its largest crowd. I have always wondered whywwe did not do a couple ppv overseas cause in my opnion that would complete them. But the fact of the matter is that it still is a global phenominom because its the time were the whole world watches the big one live . Its like the super bowl people all around the world may only watch 1 football game a year and its that one the same goes for mania so it is a global phenominom

id like a PPV in the Wembley stadium and i would watch it... it would create an exciting and different atmosphere for Wrestlemania.... not to mention it would expand my opinion the number of viewers of the WWE in Europe.
But because of the time difference its still a pretty distant option
if the wwe indeed made a ppv such as wrestlemania outside the US and Canada the perfect location would have to Mexico as there is a lot more people in Mexico city than any other city in the whole world, besides wrestling is very high on Mexico s culture so a sellout would be guaranteeded as it wouldn t be far from the US and Canada.... and it really wouldnt make such a big difference for the fans coming from all ver the world

i think it could work
the timing wouldnt be good but if you started wrestlemania here at 7pm the main event would end come 11 and that be no different to them having wrestlemania in the usa cause thats about the same time frame.

the problem would come for places like cali which is 8 hours behind uk time sp it would be on tv there at like 11am

but then agaiun wrestlemania is on a sunday and noone would really have to be at work and stuff and if your a wwe fan your watch it anytime wrestlemania is on

on the + side for wwe is that say 90,000 people would make them look miles ahead of things like the superbowl and other sports,so thats something for wwe to think about because it would make them look great selling out wembley of 90,000+

anything is possible i mean because of the olympics in 2012 wwe could play on this if they decided to do it the same year or even before and having the braggin rights of 'bigger than the olympics'

I would love Wembley to hold Wrestlemania as in a way it would be a once in a lifetime event as PPV events are rarely outside of North America.

I don't see a problem with time as they could have the event on tape delay a couple of hours after the event has finished like they do when they tape Raw

But as it has already been said, the results would extremely quickly leak onto the internet and many people wouldn't bother paying their money to watch it. Also someone probably would of uploaded the entire PPV onto Youtube by the time it would be aired in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back